Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gaius Marius posted:

I bet it's a nightmare working around food on set, even so though.

What are we looking at as the best food related pictures.
I got
The Cook, The Thief, his Wife and her Lover
Babette's Feast
Big Night
Chocolat
Does Chungking Express count? Made me want some lovely takeout. There's also that Takeout movie, didn't like that very much. I guess The Menu, don't know if it's good enough.

Ravenous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chef kicks rear end except for the bad ending. I love chill low stakes movies about eating

Also defending your life

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Other good food pictures:

Raw
Eat Drink Man Woman
Ratatouille
The Trip

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The God of Cookery is probably on the list, although it's a better food movie than it is a movie movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Julie and Julia
Jiro dreams of sushi
Comedy "Soylent Green" option

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Never saw it, but remember hearing good things about Jiro Who Dreams of Sushi.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's fine but if you open it up to Jiro you open it up to a shitload of documentaries.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

The Menu is fun, it’s very camp and silly but it’s a nice time.

It made me want a burger afterwards. And not the fast food kind either.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

The MSJ posted:

President Snow from Hunger Games sounding very familiar right now.

I saw the prequel movie last weekend and thought it was actually pretty good. And also very relevant.

I went to see it after a ceasefire rally. It’s still a YA fiction story, but it was hard to not think of the people who are fenced in and being punished by rich nations in real life.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
All these food movies and no mention of Sweeney Todd

smdh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i dont want to eat during it. them pies look nasty

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me that Rango is an extremely thirsty movie. In the water sense.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is pretty good, but the best thing about it is actually the trailer, an inspired combination of classical music and food:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aGPniFvS0

JDOS trailer came out 2011, I am thoroughly convinced it acted as the North Star for most of the food scenes in the Hannibal tv series (2013), which they totally ran with and took it to some amazing and bonkers places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26BsxRMyiEo

If you like cinematic food scenes, totally check it out

I like to think David Gelb (director of Jiro) was like “why is this Hannibal TV show stealing my bit!” and got Netflix to fund Chef’s Table (2015)

Gelb was later hired to shoot all the food scenes in The Menu

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love God of Cookery because it’s the earliest example I can think of where people eat food and basically hallucinate their feelings because the food is so delicious.

Later examples would include the anime series Yakitate Japan, Ratatouille, and Food Wars

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Napoleon is functionally a comedy. At one point he accidentally damages an Egyptian mummy by touching it, like he's Mr Bean.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I know this sounds contrarianistic but I never understood why movies set in the past would be required to be historically accurate any more than movies set in the present. Of course you can invent a fake Napoleon to make whatever point you want to make, people have been doing that for literal millenia before cinema was invented. What is the argument for historical accuracy? That people should learn some historical facts when they go to the cinema?

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 27, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look at it the opposite way. What does having Napoleon return to France to see Josephine again despite her being dead by then in real life add? What does him blowing up a pyramid add?
Or any other number of revisionist nonsense Scott added. They certainly don't make the film better, they don't flesh out Phoenix's cardboard portrayal, they aren't entertaining.

You're starting at a position of change being inherently good, that is simply not true. If something isn't more entertaining why change it?
The whole thing is a hack job by a hack writer and a hack director.

When Gance has Napoleon cut the French flag off a Corsican building, escaping from Paoli's men, and then using it to sail back to France while the tossing of his boat is intercut with the fall of Robespierre that means something. None of that happened but it gives you a sense of the politics of Corsica, of France, and of how Napoleon is navigating the two.

When the Imperial Guard refuse to surrender in Waterloo and choose to die before serving the Bourbons again it tells you of their character and their shame for breaking before they could crack Wellington's line leaving the opening for Blucher.

TWBB isn't about any real person or event but because it understands the America of yesteryear it works to show the history of the country and the people who inhabited it in those years.

Napoleon doesn't show anything. That person doesn't exist, that time period doesn't exist. The only people it appeals to are people who like grey on grey on grey cgi battles and Vanessa Kirby Stan's

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I don't think it needs much explaining to unpack the symbolism of Napoleon firing a cannon at a great and ancient construction such that an imposing foreign leader immediately collapses before him.

Only slightly more involved, the entire thesis of the film is that Josephine was a critical foil to Napoleon and her absence presages his failures, so it doesn't take much explaining as to why there'd be that embellishment.

There can't be any logical order to this stuff, you just end up with is "it's allowed when it's good and forbidden when it's bad"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Why are they making me wait so long to see A Taste of Things in theatres? I want my Binoche epicurean epic now.

It's really not a good film but the food looks [incredible. It's very beautifully done.

Yesss, came here to post it. This was given to me by a goon for CineD SS a few years ago (maybe AlanSmithee ?) - it's great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

josh04 posted:

"it's allowed when it's good and forbidden when it's bad"

Correct

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just reminded of how Oppenheimer first presents the hat like it's Batman's cowl.

Is 'Hacting' (n. acting with a hat) a thing?

Peggotty posted:

What is the argument for historical accuracy?

Part of it is marketing. 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' is very clearly based on historical events, but was sold from the start as an invention given the leads never existed. Napoleon meanwhile was sold as a historical epic about this dude's life. Nothing about the film itself drifts into obvious embellishment either – if you don't know the history, it's not hard to imagine that "Napoleon shot a pyramid with a cannon" as something notable that happened. It presents itself as a somber telling of actual events, but is riddled with embellishments that don't feel that additive to the story.

josh04 posted:

"it's allowed when it's good and forbidden when it's bad"

Yeah.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 27, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Charles Dance Hat

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

josh04 posted:

Napoleon is functionally a comedy. At one point he accidentally damages an Egyptian mummy by touching it, like he's Mr Bean.

I can totally see Phoenix replacing Rowan Atkinson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I thought the legend was that the Sphinx has no nose because Napoleon shot it with a cannon. They couldn't have included that?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

In a double feature with Bones and All.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CelticPredator posted:

Chef kicks rear end except for the bad ending. I love chill low stakes movies about eating

Remind me what the bad ending was? I enjoyed the movie (as much as I enjoy a good cuban) but I can't remember what was bad about how it ended. Didn't he just open a restaurant?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Tampopo fans should check out Supermarket Woman.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d asssumed it was doing an Amadeus style “this is like 65% not even trying to be real” dramatisation

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bowmore posted:

delicatessen

Was going to post this

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

well why not posted:

I’d asssumed it was doing an Amadeus style “this is like 65% not even trying to be real” dramatisation

Good comparison imo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

josh04 posted:

I don't think it needs much explaining to unpack the symbolism of Napoleon firing a cannon at a great and ancient construction such that an imposing foreign leader immediately collapses before him.

Can you unpack the symbolism, because I actually don't get it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Napoleon's rise to power represents a threat not just to the individual leaders he ends up at war with, but to the entire structure of European power at the time. He's literally aiming high.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I liked SALTBURN starring yer man foaken Barry. It is really funny to go online and see how many people absolutely loathe Emerald Fennell.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tampopo fans should check out Supermarket Woman.

Great movie.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

josh04 posted:

Napoleon's rise to power represents a threat not just to the individual leaders he ends up at war with, but to the entire structure of European power at the time. He's literally aiming high.

Weird take then, because revolutionary France is far more scary.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ridley Scott, correctly, treats historical fiction as sci-fi.

In the commentary track for Gladiator, he points out a scene where two characters are sitting at a table in a marketplace and having a discussion. Apparently, the historians he consulted with objected to this scene because there’s no evidence of ancient Romans using tables in marketplaces this way - to which Scott’s response was along the lines of “of course they did! Why wouldn’t they?!”

The problem of historical inaccuracy is not that it happens, but that it usually results in bad sci-fi like the lovely dieselpunk of The Imitation Game.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"The Imitation Game" as dieselpunk is exactly right. Good lord.

Fangz posted:

Weird take then, because revolutionary France is far more scary.

Isn't this just congruent then? The shot heard round the world and all that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know what you mean. My point is that Napoleon's rise at the time was a marked improvement from the chaotic rule of the revolutionaries and the Directory, who had been at war with everyone for decades. A democracy switching to an Emperor nicely affirmed everyone's monarchist beliefs. He was able to make peace treaties afterwards.

The American Revolution happened under royalist France.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 27, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Napoleon's legacy is unquestionably a creation of Revolutionary France and whatever else you can say about him he shattered the ancien regime. Arguably it's the reason Europeans regard him with special horror in the first place. Preferable to a communist but an eternal adversary nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Made a Napoleon thread because MZ is using backchannels to bully me about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048249