Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They changed all the street lamps to LEDs in my city about a year and a half ago and they’re almost all failing so everything is this dim blue you can barely see in

It sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I am a teacher.

We now have a Special Amazing App to give exams with. It is just like giving a normal exam except I now have to stand there like a doofus taking photos of every kid's work, and then I can squint at the photos in the app to try to determine if it is correct or not, and then enter in individual scores by typing in their answers for each question on the app. Repeat this about 250 times.

We now have a Special Amazing App to get observed with. Previously, an office parasite of some sort who holds meetings by reading off a poorly spelled power-point slide would come into your class and 'observe' (play with their phone) and then bring you into the office to spend 20 minutes telling you how lovely of a teacher you are because you didn't begin and end the lesson by reciting the Lesson Objectives to the children. Now I get observed and I have to log into the special Observation App to find out how bad of a teacher I am. In the past, an office parasite would come to your desk and tell you that you're going to be observed soon. Now you can just check the app every single day to find out!

Previously, kids would take home their test scores and have to get mom to sign it to show how little Pnurtis failed to learn multiplication. Now, with the app, mom gets the score in real-time so she can call her child DURING the class because she checked her very special app and found out that Pnurtis got question 4 wrong.

Previously, if I was calling out sick I would call the office and say "I'm sick" and they would arrange a substitute. Now, I can call out sick using the Special Amazing App and log into it where it then needs to get approval from 3 different office parasites before the request passes through and triggers the Substitute Finding Task. Usually one of them misses it (because the app sucks) and the kids will be sitting in a room with no adult until they go all Lord of the Flies and then the school wildly panics trying to get a sub.

Previously I'd take attendance by looking around and seeing who was missing, then I'd notify the office if anyone was gone. Now, I can use the Attendance App and click each individual student by name to mark them as Present. The attendance app requires that I do this every 35 minutes even if my classroom door is closed the entire time and no one goes anywhere. The attendance app will lock you out if you don't do this within the first 5 minutes of each 35 minute class and then send the data to the office to show that I am a Bad Teacher. Every week we get an email showing who is the Worst Teacher by ranking them on how many times they missed the Attendance Window.

By the way, all of these are different apps that each require their own login, and will often log you out inexplicably and then demand to text you with a special code to log back in, sometimes the code even arrives.

An old lady who used to work at the local health care center told me that D.A.T.A. meant "Dubbelt Arbete Till Alla" which translated to english doesn't work, but means roughly "double the work for everyone".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They switched all of the smoke alarms in my apartment building to the sealed 10-year-battery type a few years ago and apparently the non-battery components in those didn't get the memo about the 10-year thing because they fail and starting beeping nonstop after a few years. So now everyone is ignoring smoke alarms going off in locked apartments and just calling the landlord to have them replaced. :lol:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
It seems like everyone was driving around with their brights on 24/7 but I had attributed it to advancing astigmatism

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No reason it can't be both! Getting old sucks!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

theflyingexecutive posted:

With GPT-4, it can be difficult to know you're looking at not-A until you're halfway down the page and see bizarrely fictional information

This is a 'good' example where ai fucks up what should be a simple article about the 10 best Damned songs by also including songs by the Cure, AC/DC, and Nas:

https://singersroom.com/best-the-damned-songs-of-all-time/

There's a guy's name at the bottom of the article but considering how poor quality it is, I'm assuming even the name is ai generated.

It's like "content" is this generic thing now that can't exist for its own sake or have any actual qualities, it can only serve advertising.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tactlessbastard posted:

It seems like everyone was driving around with their brights on 24/7 but I had attributed it to advancing astigmatism

I see a few drivers every night with their brights on and a few with their lights off. Some people have no sense of what their lights should look like or check.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Maybe it's because I am blessed with 20/20 vision, but I have never needed to use my brights. Not a single time. I don't understand why people need to use their brights, especially when they're driving down the freeway and constantly turning them off for a few seconds after momentarily blinding oncoming traffic. And using them in town? What the gently caress, why? There's plenty of light, why do you need to shine like police helicopter levels of light into peoples' houses? And gently caress me, as a pedestrian, they're not going to turn their brights off for me. I can just go gently caress my blind self.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

credburn posted:

Maybe it's because I am blessed with 20/20 vision, but I have never needed to use my brights. Not a single time. I don't understand why people need to use their brights, especially when they're driving down the freeway and constantly turning them off for a few seconds after momentarily blinding oncoming traffic. And using them in town? What the gently caress, why? There's plenty of light, why do you need to shine like police helicopter levels of light into peoples' houses? And gently caress me, as a pedestrian, they're not going to turn their brights off for me. I can just go gently caress my blind self.

They're good for dark country roads and highways, they project higher so you light up further down the road. Outside of that, no they're not really very necessary unless the car has poor performing headlights to begin with.

Also auto dimming hi beams are becoming more common so you may see that happening around town. At least with those you're less likely to get blasted with them if you're in a car.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
They are very useful in the boonies, where getting a glint of the deer's eyes just a moment sooner makes all the difference

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i drive around in the middle of the desert at night and brights help me not hit javelinas and poo poo which would suck especially if i'm in a mountain shadow and don't have service to call for help

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm convinced that a certain kind of person regards the projection of light from their car as a personal projection of their power

If you're annoyed by it, you should drive faster or get out of 'their lane'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

credburn posted:

They are useful to see deer

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

euphronius posted:

They are useful to see deer

Thanks honey

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

doctorfrog posted:

I'm convinced that a certain kind of person regards the projection of light from their car as a personal projection of their power

If you're annoyed by it, you should drive faster or get out of 'their lane'

They absolutely do 1000%. It's the exact same thing as rattling your windows with blasting music, or splitting ear drums with a modded engine/muffler. Very typical I'm-So-Cool gently caress-Everybody-But-Me attitude of trashy people. It's not just on highways, people do it on city streets all the time.

A Strange Aeon posted:

This is a 'good' example where ai fucks up what should be a simple article about the 10 best Damned songs by also including songs by the Cure, AC/DC, and Nas:

https://singersroom.com/best-the-damned-songs-of-all-time/

There's a guy's name at the bottom of the article but considering how poor quality it is, I'm assuming even the name is ai generated.

It's like "content" is this generic thing now that can't exist for its own sake or have any actual qualities, it can only serve advertising.

Lmao this is so bad. I just wanna say that I saw The Damned on Halloween and it kicked rear end!

quote:

#10 “Don’t Cry Wolf” is a song by British new wave band, The Damned. The song’s lyrics speak of a person who is being warned not to make false accusations or create unnecessary drama by “crying wolf”. The metaphorical warning references the fable of the boy who cried wolf, in which a young boy repeatedly lies about the presence of a wolf, causing people to ignore him when a wolf actually appears. The song’s catchy melody and upbeat tempo stand in contrast to the cautionary message of the lyrics, creating a sense of tension and irony. “Don’t Cry Wolf” serves as a reminder to always be truthful and genuine in our actions, and to be aware of the consequences of crying wolf.

edit: More evil AI writing poo poo:

https://futurism.com/sports-illustrated-ai-generated-writers

Sports Illustrated Published Articles by Fake, AI-Generated Writers
We asked them about it — and they deleted everything.

tldr: it was the ownership company, The Arena Group

SI has a Union and they're very upset
https://x.com/si_union/status/1729245677690012152?s=20

ProperCauldron fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 27, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

StormDrain posted:

They're good for dark country roads and highways, they project higher so you light up further down the road. Outside of that, no they're not really very necessary unless the car has poor performing headlights to begin with.

Also auto dimming hi beams are becoming more common so you may see that happening around town. At least with those you're less likely to get blasted with them if you're in a car.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I saw an F-150 from the 90s at a red light next to a modern F-150 and the new one was a foot higher and wider. I know trucks and SUVs are marketed at insecure people but how soon until people are just buying an Abrams tank with cup holders on a 120-month financing plan?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

I saw an F-150 from the 90s at a red light next to a modern F-150 and the new one was a foot higher and wider. I know trucks and SUVs are marketed at insecure people but how soon until people are just buying an Abrams tank with cup holders on a 120-month financing plan?

Please don't give Ford ideas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CANYONERO!!!!

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
This may be a bit specific but for some reason Youtube keeps turning on subtitles automatically, but only for two channels that I follow.
The only connection between the two channels? They're both Asian (one is Japanese and one is Chinese, but they both speak English throughout the videos). Bonus stupidity that if I'm watching the video on something where I don't have an adblocker (like my PS4) it will turn the subtitles back on after every single ad break.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Exhibit A, poor performing headlights.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Abrams tanks have less of a blind spot than modern trucks lol

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Driving in Finland without high beams outside lighted up areas in winter wouldn't be fun, and there are alot of those areas here and in the other nordic countries too, the main road for commuting here is not illuminated except when it runs through a village, most of it is forest and fields.

At this time of year it's full night darkness in the morning when you leave home, and daylight has come and gone again while you were at work. So yeah high beams are important here. Now that we have snow and cold they are a little less important actually, it's that early winter period when things are pitch black, but there's no snow and everything is wet that's the absolute worst kind of darkness to drive in. It's everything being wet that's the worst, everything is dark and reflective, the road in particular...

How & when to use high beams in traffic is part of drivers ed as well because it's so important to driving here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Driving in Finland without high beams outside lighted up areas in winter wouldn't be fun, and there are alot of those areas here and in the other nordic countries too, the main road for commuting here is not illuminated except when it runs through a village, most of it is forest and fields.

At this time of year it's full night darkness in the morning when you leave home, and daylight has come and gone again while you were at work. So yeah high beams are important here. Now that we have snow and cold they are a little less important actually, it's that early winter period when things are pitch black, but there's no snow and everything is wet that's the absolute worst kind of darkness to drive in. It's everything being wet that's the worst, everything is dark and reflective, the road in particular...

How & when to use high beams in traffic is part of drivers ed as well because it's so important to driving here.

They don't have drivers ed in America, you just show up with 75 dollars to a parking lot and you're a driver.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

They don't have drivers ed in America, you just show up with 75 dollars to a parking lot and you're a driver.

Back in MY day, Drivers Ed and passing the test was this grueling ordeal many failed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

redshirt posted:

Back in MY day, Drivers Ed and passing the test was this grueling ordeal many failed.

Drivers ed here is a minimum of 10 hour-long drives with an instructor, night driving, long driving, several sessions on theory, a written test, and a practical test. It takes six to twelve months and costs thousands of dollars.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

Drivers ed here is a minimum of 10 hour-long drives with an instructor, night driving, long driving, several sessions on theory, a written test, and a practical test. It takes six to twelve months and costs thousands of dollars.

Lol a 10 hour drive with your Drivers Ed guy in the passenger. Driving to Mexico, bro, we are LOCO!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
in NM you have to go to classes and do a ton of driving with an instructor and someone with an issued drivers license... if you're a teenager getting a learner's permit

if you're over 18 you gotta pass the eye test at the dmv

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

in NM you have to go to classes and do a ton of driving with an instructor and someone with an issued drivers license... if you're a teenager getting a learner's permit

if you're over 18 you gotta pass the eye test at the dmv

That explains alot lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

redshirt posted:

That explains alot lol

don't I know it, the sky dusted just enough snow to stick for a few minutes the other night and the roads were loving chaos

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The local DMV or whatever where I lived in Orlando had a steady stream of young norwegians working at disney stopping by to do one weird trick the norwegian government hates: pay your 75 dollars and use three hours of your free time to get your american drivers license, thereby instantly skipping 99% of the steps to get their norwegian license. Because America is still listed as a Good (white) country, we have to pretend everything they do is good and valid.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

A 2023 F-150 is 4.6 inches higher and 0.9 inches wider than a 1995 F-150.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Exhibit A, poor performing headlights.

lol

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
I'm watching Netflix's "Who Killed Santa" and it's just the lowest quality crap despite the cast.

Somehow posted this in the wrong thread but it worked out

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Larry Cum Free posted:

What about things getting shittier for reasons? Reasons that are lovely?

https://x.com/LeeHepner/status/1728818448778895597?s=20

Hubert Horans series about uber on nakedcapitalism is incredibly good.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Biplane posted:

This would make it impossible for 90% of Americans to get a job (need a car, most people are poor) so it will never happen. Any solution that involves "tear down the entire country and rebuild" is a non-starter.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yep unfortunately for most Americans driving isn’t the thing you do when you’re rich to opt out of the robust public transit system like it is in Europe

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cerekk posted:

Unless it's a Raptor in which case it's ~10" taller and ~7" wider, which is wide enough to require the extra amber clearance lights.

The spec sheets also don't show other dimensions where the trucks have changed a lot, like how much taller trucks are at the nose and how much further back the driver sits compared to it. Full-size trucks have absolutely disgusting front blind spots these days.

It's even worse when looking at 3/4 ton and larger trucks. 30 years ago, an F-250 had all the same bodywork and most of the same dimensions as an F-150, it just had heavier duty underpinnings to give you more towing capacity, more payload capacity, and a rougher ride. Now everything above half ton is "super duty" / "heavy duty" with bigger everything and blind spots that should be illegal.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Oh word? How are the sight lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

Oh word? How are the sight lines?

It has a 10-foot front blind spot if that's what you mean.

https://x.com/alexandreafonso/status/1396939038456750089?s=20

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 28, 2023