Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
caaaaaaarrrrrl

stucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Namtab posted:

I hoep they add more because they owned plus gave the backstory

You can keep the backstory parts just make it actually fun to play

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dangerous Person posted:

I hope they take the blood mazes out of the Max Payne remake

theyre iconic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dangerous Person posted:

I hope they take the blood mazes out of the Max Payne remake

idk i replayed the game this month and both of the blood mazes, while kinda annoying, are bits you can clear in like two minutes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they probably will remove the platforming from the remake though. depending on how close it'll play to mp3 i'd imagine it wouldn't really even be feasible to put that stuff in since mp3 removed the normal jump button. though as much as having good shooting is the one compliment i'd give 3 i, kinda hope they don't stick that close to it cause it still doesn't really feel very max payne-esque to me, not cause of cover shooting or w/e i just don't like adding the weapon limit or all the scripted cinematic bits it's got. would prefer they stick with all gameplay having you in full control of your max like the first two

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 27, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
is this the PAYNE residence..?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Paracelsus posted:

You don't get as much of it in bread products as you used to, but most mass-market sweetened/carbonated beverages use it as the primary sweetener (which I don't like, the sugar-based versions taste way better).

Half of our country is made of corn fields and the corn lobby has an iron grip

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I used to live literally next door to a corn field. Stuff stinks to high heaven during the spring when they apply the fertilizer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think thats the corn thats stinking

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it is

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

smells like corn in here

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Yeah, the part of the country that's nothing but cornfields for miles really stinks. Corn has a mild scent on its own but there's just so much of it that the scent becomes thick in the air.

Driving through a paper manufacturing town smells awful too but I vastly prefer that because at least it isn't as overwhelming.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
none of this holds a candle to feedlot towns though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I miss living in the middle of nowhere with tons of cornfields around. Do not miss the one time I spent fall corn sorting, however. Nor the dogshit internet now that I think about it lol

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ANFO smells like ammonia when you can smell it at all, most farmers aren't spreading poo poo on their fields because there literally isn't enough poo poo to go around.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ohtori Akio posted:

none of this holds a candle to feedlot towns though

Now feedlot towns, those smell like poo poo, and hog farms too. You can practically taste the despair that hangs thick from the animals kept penned up in feedlots. Unfortunately for them, my ethics don't consider meat animals to be a peoples so I routinely ignore their suffering.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished the Scott Pilgrim books, they were Okay but I do genuinely like how the end stretch has (book/anime spoilers) Gideon telling Scott/Ramona they were still boned because they were their own worst enemies, which huh, definitely was super relevant to Scott Pilgrim Saves The World, where Scott Pilgrim is literally his own worst enemy and Ramona isn’t exactly her own best friend.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i used to live nearby Hershey and on a good wind day it would blow in the smell of chocolate from the chocolate plant and make the air smell like brownies which was always dope, and then on a bad wind day it would blow in the smell of the other kind of brownies from the farmland nearby. always a gamble

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Grew up in a town that made dogfood and there was nothing worse than a cold morning cause the smell would carry heavily

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

the smell of a town that makes anime

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GateOfD posted:

Meth and red bull

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mister Facetious posted:

Meth and red bull

Powerthirst?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GateOfD posted:

tell me again about paradise

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had to laugh this afternoon. My brother has one of those brains where if it's the first time he's discovered something it obviously means it's the first time anyone has ever heard of a thing.

Today he was telling me that I should check out this obscure album he'd just discovered called Bitches Brew.

It's like he forgot that I took an entire year of music undergrad before switching my major.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

got an in-the-weeds question about animation studios

since i started getting back into anime last year pa works has put out four shows i either loved or really liked - ya boy kongming, akiba maid war, buddy daddies, and skip and loafer. it's making me wonder about how much the studio affects the quality of the show - is it like game devs where different teams work on stuff but every studio/publisher is going to have a certain "feel" and standard of quality (so like, nintendo's mainline poo poo is a pretty safe bet to be good, ubisoft's going to put out mediocre map dot open world games, etc), or is it directors that matter more like keiichiro saito going from cloverworks to madhouse while doing bocchi to frieren? or is there an entirely different dynamic?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Today he was telling me that I should check out this obscure album he'd just discovered called Bitches Brew.

lmao

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Shimeji Simulation ended, for those of you who were waiting for that before binging it all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Southern Cassowary posted:

since i started getting back into anime last year pa works has put out four shows i either loved or really liked - ya boy kongming, akiba maid war, buddy daddies, and skip and loafer. it's making me wonder about how much the studio affects the quality of the show - is it like game devs where different teams work on stuff but every studio/publisher is going to have a certain "feel" and standard of quality (so like, nintendo's mainline poo poo is a pretty safe bet to be good, ubisoft's going to put out mediocre map dot open world games, etc), or is it directors that matter more like keiichiro saito going from cloverworks to madhouse while doing bocchi to frieren? or is there an entirely different dynamic?

Depends on the studio. A lot of the anime industry is contractors moving from production to production, so generally you do want to look at the staff more than anything else. There are a handful of studios that have more in-house talent though, KyoAni very notably has every staff member as a full-time employee.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Julias posted:

Shimeji Simulation ended, for those of you who were waiting for that before binging it all.

i hope tsukumizu is less depressed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

studios are more about production cycles and what talent they have good relations with, as well as what they tend to get tapped to adapt, than the overall quality of the show in a vacuum. a lot of studios do tend to have a 'house style,' but that's more typecasting than the result of them having a dedicated staff who does those things. like doga kobo is known for moe shows, but thats because they had a long string of adapting kirara manga time stuff, so they got approached with more stuffi n that wheel house since theyd proven they could do it, etc. same with, say, mappa and flashy shonen.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Studios can be structured into sub-studios or teams, obviously more of a thing with larger or long-lived ones. I don't feel like it comes up as commonly outside of a few like Sunrise, Bones, Cloverworks coming into being from A-1 etc. and just following staff gets you about the same result.

WRT studio identity I feel like the main thing is even examples that easily come to mind like KyoAni have both developed into their style as well as shifted it over time. You have other studios that have undergone significant change like MAPPA or Science Saru, because that's often natural when leadership changes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

I had to laugh this afternoon. My brother has one of those brains where if it's the first time he's discovered something it obviously means it's the first time anyone has ever heard of a thing.

It's like he forgot that I took an entire year of music undergrad before switching my major.

You should point him towards 90s Ottawa indie punk band furnaceface.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i think that i just enjoy what pa works has been typecast as recently, then (getting some quirky action originals and slice-of-life adaptations)

i suppose the bigger question, then, is how do y'all end up deciding what to watch? i kind of just shotgun stuff by watching pvs on mal currently and dropping anything that doesn't grab me quickly and also keep an eye out for cool word of mouth stuff i passed on (like mygo). are you actively going "i like this director/staff" and watching their stuff?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it varies a ton. some of the more established and reputable studios have the ability to be pickier about what types of stuff they make since they get more stuff pitched to them e.g. PA Works makes a lot of original anime and a lot of dramas, bones makes a lot of action and sci-fi shows, etc. and thats probably coming from studio leadership wanting to stick with what theyre good at and build a brand around it. but the individual projects are down to their respective staff.

the main unusual thing about PA Works is that they're located in the middle of loving nowhere (Nanto, Toyama prefecture. look it up on a map) whereas most studios are in Tokyo. so that maybe means they have a bit more of an in-house culture than other studios might since no ones gonna work there unless they really want to work for PA Works specifically. but still there's a lot of outsourcing on their recent shows.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i find shows by word of mouth basically. if its good then someone i know isnt an idiot will post about how its good

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
pouring one out for those that are hyped for a manga/LN adaptation only to find out that because it isn't a weekly shonen series, not as many resources are gonna be allocated to the production

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furnaceface posted:

You should point him towards 90s Ottawa indie punk band furnaceface.

If he was going for any indie Ottawa band he'd probably only go for Hollerado if he even knew they were local.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

are you actively going "i like this director/staff" and watching their stuff?
following directors/writers/staff is fun but ofc theyre sometimes constrained by what they're given to work with, especially in the case of adaptations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's fun to follow staff sometimes, but I think seasonals are basically vibes-based and since I in general follow anime/manga news there's always a low hum of promotional material about things to build an impression off of. I was interested in Bullbuster from just the initial announcement with character visuals and stuff, while something like Kingdoms of Ruin I only grabbed on seeing a PV and liking the character designs. Also would've been much later into Overtake! if I didn't have an incredibly vague blood pact to groupwatch shows about sports and/or pretty boys each season. With adaptations you've already got reputation from that to judge, ignoring how varied quality can be (cross that bridge when you come to it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shinjobi posted:

tell me again about paradise

The earth, as depicted in Splatoon 1-3