Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

shyduck posted:

New doc about NHL 94. It's good, learned new stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFT3iQx1BY

One timers distracted from the true gameplay of the early NHL series, doing that little wiggle by the goalie so you could score every 7 seconds over and over. Preferably using Roenick to just kill the opposing center and take the puck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
On goalie chat, Sean Burke definitely has to be getting to that all time great goalie coach level. Resurrected Quick, somehow elevated Adin Hill into a fringe Vezina candidate, developed Logan Thompson into a good goalie and got quality starts out of Jiri Patera and Laurent Brossoit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Y'all are forgetting about Jonathan Quick

legend

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Wonderllama posted:

maybe....just maybe, gently caress the blackhawks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

I don't think there's currently any guys I'd say are on the classic "franchise" goalie level that we've seen in the past but part of that is longevity

Ginette and I were talking about this, it's going to be very interesting if any of these guys end up being good late into their careers, you really don't see old starters anymore, let alone good ones. Who are even the most recent old rear end goalies, MAF/Mike Smith?

The Veteran Goalie is no more, the position is too fast and debilitating. It's becoming almost like a starting pitcher.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

Ginette and I were talking about this, it's going to be very interesting if any of these guys end up being good late into their careers, you really don't see old starters anymore, let alone good ones. Who are even the most recent old rear end goalies, MAF/Mike Smith?

The Veteran Goalie is no more, the position is too fast and debilitating. It's becoming almost like a starting pitcher.

MAF for sure but he's not really steady and reliable

I didn't even know Smith was still playing

I think part of it is in the cap era teams are figuring "why spend so much on a goalie" and would rather cycle through guys than have a franchise goalie who is part of the team long term (or if is there long term isn't really considered a top of the league guy, gets paid less, and the team hopes they'll just get hot in the playoffs or they can cover up and deficiencies)

I guess Vasy is really the current franchise goalie hotness

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
MAF is gonna keep playing until they let him fight someone

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
N: Wild fired Evason

V: Futurama Fry not that shocked meme

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
john hynes is taking over in minnesota. sorry

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Guerin got the team he wanted. The team he wanted sucks rear end. This changes nothing. lol, lmao, move to Housotn.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

I didn't even know Smith was still playing

He isn't but I think he played until he was like 40 or 41 and was pretty good his last two seasons. He also had that maniac old goalie vibe that MAF also has.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Why does John Hynes keep getting jobs

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

Why does John Hynes keep getting jobs

That USNTDP notoriety does keep some mediocre people employed.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sleep with the vicious posted:

N: Wild fired Evason

V: Futurama Fry not that shocked meme

This is somehow worse than I expected. Not that Coach Creed is gone, but that Minneflowta has hired some guy that looks like a knob head and has no salad. Who's also a bad coach.

E: It's also about 6 games too late.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm not sure what Hynes has ever done to make people think he's worth a hire over almost literally anyone else

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Jhet posted:

This is somehow worse than I expected. Not that Coach Creed is gone, but that Minneflowta has hired some guy that looks like a knob head and has no salad. Who's also a bad coach.

E: It's also about 6 games too late.

Yeah it sucks. I hate being a Minnesota fan, but I am stuck with these assholes and Guerin's awful management. Guerin has spent his entire time as GM explaining how hard it is to get a #1 center rather than doing literally anything about it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
was he already on the staff? that was out of nowhere.. I thought you guys were joking at first

Edmonton did the same thing with Kris Knoblauch... hired with no fanfare / apparent due process in advance..

Did Minnesota even consider any other options? Has holding a job competition gone out of style in the NHL?

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 28, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck are definitely "franchise goalies" maybe Saros too. But that's about it IMO. I would also argue that John Gibson is one too despite that stretch where he was rear end playing behind a bad team. The future is just rotating 2-3 guys it seems like.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

I'm not sure what Hynes has ever done to make people think he's worth a hire over almost literally anyone else

John Hynes Resume:

1. Has been a NHL coach before

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Starsfan posted:

was he already on the staff? that was out of nowhere.. I thought you guys were joking at first

Edmonton did the same thing with Kris Knoblauch... hired with no fanfare / apparent due process in advance..

Did Minnesota even consider any other options? Has holding a job competition gone out of style in the NHL?

Knoblauch has at least kinda been working his way up and generally well regarded in Hartford. Rangers considered him last summer.

Hynes is just that guy who bombed out of Jersey and Nashville and looks like a voldemort extra

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd honestly forgotten the Preds had sacked Hynes.

Levitate posted:

We can only assume he is a world class interviewer and politician.

e: Now is the time for the Pens to sack Sullivan and bring Coach Creed in to see if he can whip one last quick playoff exit out of this dead horse

e2: or, comedy option, bring back Bylsma and let the team coach itself again, why not

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 28, 2023

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Vasilevskiy and Hellebuyck are definitely "franchise goalies" maybe Saros too. But that's about it IMO. I would also argue that John Gibson is one too despite that stretch where he was rear end playing behind a bad team. The future is just rotating 2-3 guys it seems like.

shesterkin and sorokin

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sleep with the vicious posted:

Yeah it sucks. I hate being a Minnesota fan, but I am stuck with these assholes and Guerin's awful management. Guerin has spent his entire time as GM explaining how hard it is to get a #1 center rather than doing literally anything about it.

Celebrini plays C right?

Honestly, remember when there were 6 guys who could easily play center and then Fletcher and that other guy from Nashville traded them all away?

I don’t know, maybe this wakes them up and they start getting some depth scoring. But from how Nashville played I’m guessing Foligno and Maroon are just going to be putting people through the glass because they’ve been told to run guys.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hynes'll probably get a good dead cat bounce out of them. But a year from now they'll be worse off than they were.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1729276005477400717?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Chop to the head? $5k fine

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A little surprised it wasn't 3-4 just because? (2 games seems oddly reasonable.)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Man I wanted to write a post about how Bill Guerin has hit some home runs as general manager of the Wild but has been undone by an equal number of questionable decisions, but it turns out that alot of the players I thought he had brought in were already in the Wild organization prior to his start date.. Kaprizov and Boldy were both drafted by the previous administration. Zuccarello and Ryan Hartman were signings of the previous administrations, though they were both acquired like 2-4 weeks before Guerin took over and started playing for the Wild in 2019 so I always thought of them as Guerin additions..

Basically all of the other current core position players for the Wild were pre-Guerin additions - Eriksson Ek, Spurgeon, Foligno, and Jonas Brodin. There have also been a number of players who were at one time core members of the team have left under the Guerin regime (Suter, Parise, Dumba, Fiala, Greenway) and you could probably argue that the team has struggled to fill the contributions that some of those players had made for the Wild in previous seasons.

I guess you can give him credit for making some smart short term goalie additions in MAF, Cam Talbot and Filip Gustavsson, but the Gustavsson addition might go sour real quick if he's actually turned into a pumpkin. Other than those goalies his best additions have probably been Frederik Gaudreau and Marcus Johansson as middle 6 scoring depth.

It's been my impression that the Guerin draft picks haven't really worked out that well, although at least Marco Rossi is putting together a solid performance in his first couple months of this season after the Wild tried to kill his career.

Maybe I'm missing something here but based on his entire profile of work I'm not really sure what he's added to the Minnesota franchise over his now coming up on 5 years of service with them.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Starsfan posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here but based on his entire profile of work I'm not really sure what he's added to the Minnesota franchise over his now coming up on 5 years of service with them.

Dead cap space?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Levitate posted:

Dead cap space?

I mean that was a decision that Guerin made for himself. Sure Ryan Suter and Zach Parise at 7.5 million each is bad, so is alot of contracts around the league. Dallas has Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin at a combined $20 million and they've managed to improve even under the weight of Benn and Seguin becoming mediocre to bad 2nd line forwards on those contracts.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1729321577991254486?t=bKhZluDxPdJx5cRzBViZ9A&s=19

This is the first time in NHL history four Russians on the same team have scored in one game per Bally Sports, which seems unfathomable given all the lore behind the Russian Five.

E- Rimer says three of them scored 13 times, but never four in one game.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 28, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1729321577991254486?t=bKhZluDxPdJx5cRzBViZ9A&s=19

This is the first time in NHL history four Russians on the same team have scored in one game per Bally Sports, which seems unfathomable given all the lore behind the Russian Five.

Marchenko not being Marchenkov is a real bummer

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Really awesome Tkachuk bowl. Game kept ramping up and up starting in the 2nd period in terms of chippiness, then everything exploded halfway in the third when Brady went on a breakaway.

https://twitter.com/EverydaySens/status/1729329612813918542

Video of the huge fight

https://twitter.com/clahanna/status/1729329894658556196

And then video of the ref tossing 10 people for misconducts with the incredible line "everybody on the ice has a 10 minute misconduct". They have ejected 13 players with 5:30 to go.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wait does that mean they threw the goalies out too? Bob was just standing there, and what did the Sens goalie do?

Was expecting way more of an 80s style line brawl than that based on 13 misconducts

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

more refs should pull the nuclear option and misconduct everyone

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wait does that mean they threw the goalies out too? Bob was just standing there, and what did the Sens goalie do?

Was expecting way more of an 80s style line brawl than that based on 13 misconducts

Goalies don't count as people.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The shots of the benches with like four people on them is chef’s kiss.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sungarrioch/status/1729337638295929334?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Oh my god he admit it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maybe in another 5 years he'll be ready to say "I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. That's on me"

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
god drat I love the Tkachuk boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A best of 7 international series between US and Canada needs to happen while the Tkachuks are in their prime.