Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

It’s a painted wall that looks like it’s dripping.

Was anything else installed at the same time? Some solvents can discolor paint or cause it to flow, maybe something that was used in a different install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Surfactant leaching

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So, our warehouse is a janky, jury-rigged piece of poo poo that was, for legal reasons, once three separate buildings, now jankily smushed together. After the latest "renovation" they managed to gently caress up one of these joinings so it leaks every time it rains.

Instead of getting some tradesmen to fix it properly, instead the management solution has been the installation of new rain gutters... on the inside of the building, channelling the water into a trough, because there are no floor drains inside the building.

The new Interior Gutters(tm) are held up by string, and have not been "capped" at the ends rain is not meant to go out of. I cannot WAIT until the next proper rainstorm.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Just need management to commit to calling those joining sections 'breezeways' to set expectations and then it's 'good enough'.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

So, our warehouse is a janky, jury-rigged piece of poo poo that was, for legal reasons, once three separate buildings, now jankily smushed together. After the latest "renovation" they managed to gently caress up one of these joinings so it leaks every time it rains.

Instead of getting some tradesmen to fix it properly, instead the management solution has been the installation of new rain gutters... on the inside of the building, channelling the water into a trough, because there are no floor drains inside the building.

The new Interior Gutters(tm) are held up by string, and have not been "capped" at the ends rain is not meant to go out of. I cannot WAIT until the next proper rainstorm.

Wow, they went with actual gutters instead of a drain tarp?

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

*sigh*

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Now is that plug input for the outlet or vice versa?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Yes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Probably for a light fixture on the ceiling. '20s - '30s era had a lot of stuff like that.

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Judging from the old 2 wire socket installed in the baseboard I think the lamp cord plastered into the wall is just as safe as the knob and tube inside the wall.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:sever:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

Lol they did a similar hing in our warehouse with an old trough dumping into an upside down traffic cone to funnel water to the door

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

devicenull posted:

Wow, they went with actual gutters instead of a drain tarp?

Yep! Even inexplicably used the zink gutters instead of the PVC ones, don't ask me why, but I guess someone wanted to really show off their DIY chops.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Concrete bags stay winning, they didn't break when the wall did

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It should be one bag of cement, two bags of sand and three bags of gravel.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Azza Bamboo posted:

It should be one bag of cement, two bags of sand and three bags of gravel.

You just forgot the water canisters :ramsay:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I think I found the problem here, that cord needs to be plugged into that there outlet there.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I appreciate the use of the new in wall disconnects and the flying splice, but those wires should be secured to the stud.

It's all garbage and the house should be nuked from orbit.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

GreenNight posted:

Appreciate the optimism!

So, new bathroom and I'm asking the contractor to come back and fix this - what would cause this on a new paint job?

the composition of the photo makes my brain think "it's a picture of a textured glass shower door with some condensation beading on it". i can't see it any other way

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah it’s tough to take a picture of. All good, it’s a brand new bathroom and they’re coming back to repaint that section.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

kinda into that tbh

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That's art

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It seems deliberate, anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a moth :females: attractor.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
e: gently caress, wrong thread

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

If this is crap I might have a deeply embarrassing kink.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah it’s tough to take a picture of. All good, it’s a brand new bathroom and they’re coming back to repaint that section.

I had to get the fitters to come back and redo an entire set of sealant because they'd somehow left gaps in it. I'm still not 100% happy with it but that's mainly because the tile surface is rough so whatever you do, the sealant looks weird in corners.

That said, maybe if they'd used great instead of transparent it'd have been better idk.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What do you mean the tile surface is rough?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Are they backwards/upside down?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tell them you want those tiles smooth, like a shark.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Nitrox posted:

What do you mean the tile surface is rough?

It's slate like so not totally smooth, there's probably a better word for it (rectified idk). It means that at corner joints where it needs sealing the actual mating surfaces don't perfectly align.

I kind of wish we'd gone with flat ones but it does look good and we'd been burned on the old ones that the PO had that were a slippery death trap when wet because it's a wet room shower.

This is the same PO that got clowns to relay the floor and who somehow laid it lower than the old one leading to the shower drain being misaligned such that there was mould growing under the tiles. Also they filled the sink waste half full of grout because they were just dumping it down there and got adhesive all over the trough drain so it didn't actually drain properly.

It cost a goddamn fortune to get ripped out to the joists and redone but it needed it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Azza Bamboo posted:

When I worked in a hardware store, the bane of my existence was customers asking me which light bulb they should buy, without bringing in the dead bulb or giving any indication of the fitting used. Just "it's my living room light" as though that's a standard.

When I was 17 I worked a summer in a locally owned hardware store, and the number of people walking in thinking a 17 year old knew ANYTHING about home construction/repair was shockingly high.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
But you must have had training to get the job, right? Right?

My first job was at a place called Maplin Electronics, kind of a UK Radio Shack, and it was the same in there. People asking me questions about things I didn't even know existed 2 seconds earlier.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We need to add a slope to the side door on grandpa's house. Please share success and horror stories of home modifications for wheelchair and accessible use.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

We need to add a slope to the side door on grandpa's house. Please share success and horror stories of home modifications for wheelchair and accessible use.

Remember to have a platform in front of the door that's big enough for the wheelchair and for the door to swing (if it swings outwards). Also remember that the ramp needs to be pretty drat shallow to be navigable. I forget the recommended slope, but it requires a lot of space to cover any significant step height.

The ramp should also have securely-attached handrails, both for any shaky people walking up it, and to help keep the wheelchair wheels from slipping off the edge of the ramp.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Max ada slope is 1:12, or 12 horizonal inches for every 1 vertical inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Max ada slope is 1:12, or 12 horizonal inches for every 1 vertical inch.

Oh my god I thought it was 12:1 I need to make some phone calls, poo poo poo poo poo poo