Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Warmachine posted:

My vibes-based analysis is that the OYW feels sufficiently large to allow for all of these side stories, while the perspectives of the Gryps and First Neo Zeon war leave me feeling like the conflicts are too narrow. Yes, I know that they are wider conflicts from errata, but 0079 showed things like Operation Odessa, the Federation launching into space from Jaburo, Solomon and A Baoa Qu to remind the viewer that the White Base is only one part of this world conflict, and the story is about the White Base trying to keep its head above water in that context.

I cannot recall anything taking the focus off the Argama in Zeta to let us understand who else is in AEUG, and what the broader context of a Federation civil war looks like. It left me feeling like the Argama was AEUG in its entirety, and thus how can I have side stories in that period without stepping on its toes? Same feeling in ZZ, though my memories of ZZ are much murkier.

0079 threaded the needle of telling a personal, localized story while creating a sufficiently large world to justify other perspectives on the One Year War. Zeta and ZZ fail at this. In fact, I don't think any other entries in the UC succeed at this. Except Crossbone, probably. I haven't read Crossbone yet but from the bits and pieces I've picked up, there's a lot more meat in that period for someone to pencil in their own notes.

I think there is room for side-stories set during the Gryps conflict, but they'd all be much smaller-scale and not involve a lot of giant robots. AEUG and Karaba are mostly involved in like... underground resistance, not open fighting, except when the Argama/Radish are around. The Titans are a huge organization, they took over the whole Federation military at one point, but they're mostly just doing horrible repressive violence like gassing defenseless civillians.

I guess you could fit in some side skirmishes between AEUG, the Titans, and Neo Zeon in the last days of the war, but that would really be pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

The President being 200 years old is treated as a "wait, what?!" moment and you eventually find out the cost he paid for that longevity is the horrible state of his body which he hides using a body suit.

I think that's metaphorically tied in with the state of the space colonies. They're falling apart, nobody knows how to fix them, they are doomed. Like there's one part where an interior section of a wall collapses, and everybody pitches in to help the people whose house was on that part, but they act like that's the equivalent of a tree falling on a roof. Just some bad luck, gotta rebuild that house. But the viewer understands that that's really bad. The colony is falling apart. these structures can't last. And that's directly contrasted with Earth, which has apparently fully recovered from the wars centuries ago.

So the really old guy being President of space ties those themes together, the quest for longevity along with the quest for space colonization. They are both doomed ventures. Be like Bellri at the end, enjoy your natural life span here on earth.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'G-Witch was originally planned for 50 episodes' isnt true, but we have basically confirmation that the show was being rewritten up to the 11th hour, which explains a lot of the messy plotting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also here's scans of the bit about the original commander/rival's mistress plot

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ManSedan posted:

Wow I like G Reco but the Venus Globe arc is absolute nonsense.

The show is absolute non sense start to finish.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

'G-Witch was originally planned for 50 episodes' isnt true, but we have basically confirmation that the show was being rewritten up to the 11th hour, which explains a lot of the messy plotting.

There was an Okuchi and Kobayashi interview from a few months back where they said as much. They had a partial premise with the "commander Suletta and villain's mistress Miorine" characters until someone suggested the school setting late in the planning phase and they started a last minute redraft.

And I think they might have been doing some rewrites during Season 1 as well. I believe Yohei Azakami said on one of the radio podcasts that Guel's role was expanded somewhat for Season 2 in response to positive fan feedback.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That would not be a shock, Guel reeks of Patrick Colasour Syndrome.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

That would not be a shock, Guel reeks of Patrick Colasour Syndrome.

Or Orange from Code Geass.

It's genuinely amazing how completely Guel reversed his fortunes in terms of characterization.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be honest I'd still have preferred if he'd stuck around with Dawn of Fold for a while rather than immediately run back to space.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

To be honest I'd still have preferred if he'd stuck around with Dawn of Fold for a while rather than immediately run back to space.

to be fair if hed stuck around with dawn of fold for a while he wouldnt have been in the rest of the show

the guel solo ep is good but also feels like it takes place in an entirely separate universe

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

to be fair if hed stuck around with dawn of fold for a while he wouldnt have been in the rest of the show

the guel solo ep is good but also feels like it takes place in an entirely separate universe

Yeah, I really liked that episode but it genuinely feels like it is from a different show with different priorities, where the Earth/Space divide is the central focus of the plot.

(There's, in retrospect, a lot of G-Witch stuff that feels like it was intended for a show where Earth/Space's divide was way more of a central feature of the show.)

Edit: Or honestly it's kind of more that it is a central element of the show but Suletta really doesn't feel like she engages with it much despite everyone around her doing so.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 28, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

I am also imagining a show where Dawn of Fold didn't vanish after that episode and half the cast had more stuff to do. The Earth/Space divide was very compelling for me like it is in pretty much any gundam show.

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Or honestly it's kind of more that it is a central element of the show but Suletta really doesn't feel like she engages with it much despite everyone around her doing so.

Hell, Earth House barely engages with the class conflict despite being on the receiving end of so much poo poo for their status. Quinnharbour is an atrocity that really only ends up emotionally affecting Miorine and Norea and the latter went out on a suicidal killing spree the following episode. Like Norea says, earthian lives are cheaper.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 28, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

unhinged old man tomino is always a unique experience. "i remember going to auschwitz and thinking 'drat the women here are thicc' because i couldn't bring myself to look at the murder sites, and so that became a character"

also someone posted at some point that if you desperately want more of the story of a rich kid joining a space insurgency you should just watch dougram, and i think that holds as a comment

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also in retrospect it's a bit weird that we never actually see Mercury in G-Witch. I would really liked to have seen more of where Suletta came from and the people who motivated her to want to open a school and all of that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you want Mercury you read Cradle Planet, a short story from Aerial's point of view.

It's pretty much required reading which I'm not sure if I like. I feel that a story should be able stand on its own without needing supplementary material to fill in big gaps.

To an extent show does a decent enough job without the short story but given how little Eri gets to express herself in the anime I almost wish Cradle Planet got expanded into a flashback episode.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 28, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cradle planet probably works better if you watched the prologue. If you didn't watch it then it's not as helpful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just read Thunderbolt volume 20, and holy poo poo does that manga kick rear end. It just keeps building on itself in such an exciting way. When they busted out the goddamn Jet Stream Attack, I whooped. I also really liked that at some point after the events of the original series the Federation came up with specialized anti Big Zam weapons especially since what they came up with was so simple and clever.

I'm not crazy about the guy being able to straight up Professor X people but this series for a while has been imagining what if the development of Newtype technology and abilities went along a more productive line instead of how in the original UC timeline they went all in on just torturing children for little to no gain. So it's not a huge problem for me

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really liked that episode but it genuinely feels like it is from a different show with different priorities, where the Earth/Space divide is the central focus of the plot.

(There's, in retrospect, a lot of G-Witch stuff that feels like it was intended for a show where Earth/Space's divide was way more of a central feature of the show.)

I wonder if that’s a relic of Sulletta being turned from an adult woman whose character is directly plugged into the setting through being a military officer, to a naive schoolgirl from the equivalent of a cult compound who has basically no connections to the setting except through second hand means. They basically removed the factor that connected Sulletta to the wider setting and gave her a place in it, so she just spends the whole story as a kind of “foreigner” outside looking in wondering why these Spacians and Earthicans hate each other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

The Guel episode was made to show off one of the few suits they didnt make into a kit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gripweed posted:

I just read Thunderbolt volume 20, and holy poo poo does that manga kick rear end. It just keeps building on itself in such an exciting way. When they busted out the goddamn Jet Stream Attack, I whooped. I also really liked that at some point after the events of the original series the Federation came up with specialized anti Big Zam weapons especially since what they came up with was so simple and clever.

I'm not crazy about the guy being able to straight up Professor X people but this series for a while has been imagining what if the development of Newtype technology and abilities went along a more productive line instead of how in the original UC timeline they went all in on just torturing children for little to no gain. So it's not a huge problem for me
"You lost me at 'don't torture children and dice their brains,'" Bask Om replies, thinking of killing people with mirrors again.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nessus posted:

"You lost me at 'don't torture children and dice their brains,'" Bask Om replies, thinking of killing people with mirrors again.

He truly was a man who committed atrocities for the love of the game.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gripweed posted:

if you go and rewatch zeta it's pretty clear that scirocco is straight up dracula hypnotizing people into following him, newtypes are always doing way more than it seems like they 'should' be doing

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Guel episode was made to show off one of the few suits they didnt make into a kit.

I’m still salty they haven’t made a kit out of the General Grevious suit. I guess I’ll have to grab an IBO Gusion instead.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

if you go and rewatch zeta it's pretty clear that scirocco is straight up dracula hypnotizing people into following him, newtypes are always doing way more than it seems like they 'should' be doing

Kammile creates a super robot energy sword by way of the biosenslr and his psychic powers. Scirocco ends the show by yugioh mind crushing the protagonist.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Newtypes are just Jedi in giant robots. Complete with power creep as the series goes on, from being kinda good at piloting and fighting, to "this is just a wizard in space."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hell Rey and Kylo went beyond the time for a bit in Episode 9.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Warmachine posted:

Newtypes are just Jedi in giant robots. Complete with power creep as the series goes on, from being kinda good at piloting and fighting, to "this is just a wizard in space."

It wasn't "kinda good at piloting" in the very first Gundam series. Newtype skepticism comes in later UC stuff, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Newtypes were always some level of ESPer with precognition, psychic communication, the ability to transcend mortal limits. Like Amuro and Lalah's final speech is "Perhaps, someday, people may even control time itself." "Oh, Amuro! I can see time!". It's the reason "Beyond the Time" is named the way it is. They weren't ever just 'just Jedi' but were a pretty distinct flavor of sci-fi future being that could potentially transcend all mortal limits, but at the same time were still fundamentally human and the entire point of them is the push and pull between those things.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 29, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when newtypes cast spells it usually looks really cool so newtype space magic is good

the idea that trying to augment mystical unknown forces with physical enhancers (biosensor, psychoframe, w/e) results in wild impossible physical phenomena seems fine with me

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/ChadVision/status/1729571757088997755?s=20

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think tomino is a fascinating person but i am not a fan of "any time the word jew appears in his interviews"

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I've read through all I can of Gundam Sequel Despair Memory.

I do not know what is going on, but I know what is going on.

This does not feel like gundam, this feels like a combination of stuff like CLAMP, Weiss Kreuz, And a bunch of Visual Novels like FATE.

I love this its so stupid they introduce the nun character by having her kill someone with her ice newtype powers, and then get whipped while have naked by her girlfriend to repent. This manga is absolutely loving insane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's Inoue being given the opportunity to write Gundam and then nobody ever checked up on him again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sequel kicks rear end

I really intended to keep up with U.C. Engage, but I just realized I haven’t touched it in days. That is just a profoundly uncompelling gameplay and story presentation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean one of the benefits of side manga is that you can run wild on stuff since Bandai Namco/Sunrise aren't paying attention beyond the pitch

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Sequel kicks rear end

I really intended to keep up with U.C. Engage, but I just realized I haven’t touched it in days. That is just a profoundly uncompelling gameplay and story presentation.

Yeah that's every autobattler ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gripweed posted:

Sequel kicks rear end

I'm still playing it, still f2p. I'm still doing pretty well, but I'm pretty sure that's just because no one but me and a handful of whales are still playing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comments/186tdmq/gundam_hathaway_has_the_same_cafeteria_design_as/

Interesting observation, apparently the cafeteria in Gundam Hathaway was based off the mess hall at CFB Borden in Ontario.

Having tropical trees in Davao seems much nicer than a bleak Canadian winter.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ninjewtsu posted:

i think tomino is a fascinating person but i am not a fan of "any time the word jew appears in his interviews"

japan thought protocols of the elders of zion was loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they do have big baps tho