Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TWI

pirate is going to drive themselves and everyone else crazy with all the stuff they’re setting up. You’d think after killing off so many characters they’d have a smaller pool to focus on. NOPE. Already setup for even more characters to be introduced and even more plot lines to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TWI is simply never going to end, paba is just going to keep escalating and adding characters forever.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

TWI Patreon It doesn't help that so many of the deaths were bit players or characters with settled storylines.

To elaborate a bit, and forgive my sleep addled mind, TWI deaths have been most interesting when they winnow possibilities. The chess club and the Goblin brothers? any of those individuals could have been major characters, and the loss only becomes more striking as time goes on. Brunkr? he dies on "the first day of the rest of his life" so to speak

This time:

Halfseekers: Moore has been a nonentinity since he went grimdark. Jelaqua has been a smitten girlfriend for longer than she was an adventurer. Ulinde hasn't been anyone of note since she joined. Selborn was the only one going somewhere interesting

Halrac was a dead man a while back, and his death was just deferred

Pivr? he had like, one character trait and as many interesting avenues of conversation

I laughed when we got to Silvermop's death. Not even Silveran, just the knock-off!

Chaldion, Xrn, and the infiltrator guy all were memorably good scenes, but two of them had one foot in the grave and Xrn was just too overpowered to be on the board for long

This could have been a perfect opportunity to both downsize the active stories into a manageable amount, and to drive home the actual loss that comes with sacrifice. Instead, I'm just sure this story will never do anything but get more unwieldy as time goes on.

v i know, and his specific fate is mostly irrelevant to my post, either he's out of the picture or he's not. current events mean he likely won't be doing much, now. and like i said, it was a good scene!

Ramie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 26, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ramie posted:

TWI Patreon It doesn't help that so many of the deaths were bit players or characters with settled storylines.

To elaborate a bit, and forgive my sleep addled mind, TWI deaths have been most interesting when they winnow possibilities. The chess club and the Goblin brothers? any of those individuals could have been major characters, and the loss only becomes more striking as time goes on. Brunkr? he dies on "the first day of the rest of his life" so to speak

This time:

Halfseekers: Moore has been a nonentinity since he went grimdark. Jelaqua has been a smitten girlfriend for longer than she was an adventurer. Ulinde hasn't been anyone of note since she joined. Selborn was the only one going somewhere interesting

Halrac was a dead man a while back, and his death was just deferred

Pivr? he had like, one character trait and as many interesting avenues of conversation

I laughed when we got to Silvermop's death. Not even Silveran, just the knock-off!

Chaldion, Xrn, and the infiltrator guy all were memorably good scenes, but two of them had one foot in the grave and Xrn was just too overpowered to be on the board for long

This could have been a perfect opportunity to both downsize the active stories into a manageable amount, and to drive home the actual loss that comes with sacrifice. Instead, I'm just sure this story will never do anything but get more unwieldy as time goes on.

Uh... Chaldion VERY explicitly didn't die. Because that was the crueler choice for him. The way his poo poo played out is SO MUCH WORSE for him than if he had died.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
SupSup 109 (Patreon): Well, the Velras are even more messed up than I expected.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OddObserver posted:

SupSup 109 (Patreon): Well, the Velras are even more messed up than I expected.

I like how Aimi is apparently one of the only chill Velras.

Feel bad for Lute. The situation with Hazel also makes a lot more sense now - imagine how much it must have hosed with her when he suddenly became an S.

Also god drat Hazel sucks, though I mainly blame Aulia since that's definitely mostly a "nurture" thing where she was raised to be hyper-self-centered.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Done with the TWI chapter, dang.

I don't think death at this point is intended to be shocking or sad like in previous books given the nature of the current arc, so I don't have a problem with the selection of characters dying--it looks to me (in fact, I think the story's making it pretty clear) that this is just giving those characters something to do in the deadlands for some future arc. Although with Kasigna mostly dead, I guess there's the possibility that this is it for them.

Also, I think a lot of the characters listed above aren't dead; of the Halfseekers, only Moore's and Ulinde's ghosts were among the audience, Chaldion's definitely alive, and Xrn's soul is probably still around too.

I think the strongest part of the arc so far was actually the betrayals of Bethal and the Flying Hive, because TWI has shockingly gone this long without any real heel turns; anyone who's changed sides in the past did so over a long period of time (or went MIA like Calruz before coming back crazy) so to finally have some people crack under the pressure and actually side against Erin was a shock to me, even if they weren't huge players overall.

Last bit, there's no way Erin's gonna be Roshal's prisoner for long and I doubt it'll even last to the end of this volume.

Oh oh, and biggest "oh poo poo" moment (this will spoil nothing unless you know what it was)

BEHIND YOU

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Fuuuck, I finally caught up with TWI after starting it like 10 months ago, and it's in the middle of the solstice.

Now what the hell do I read while waiting for new chapters? I'm leaning towards another web serial (I like the format), but I don't know what's good. I've already read PGE and Worm.

Should I pick up where I left off on Ward? I think I stopped pretty early (maybe the second or third arc?) because I got caught up and just wasn't as into it as Worm. It just felt like there was way too much teenage drama and not enough actual story happening, does it get better?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
All this TWI talk reminded me. I started reading it awhile back and the blog mentioned the first book had been rewritten. I bought it on kindle as that’s nicer to read on than the web and it’s wildly different from what is on the web version.

Is the kindle version of the book the old, unedited web serial version and the website has the nice rewritten content?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, the Kindle version is the old one, but the new version should be out early next year as the audiobook is done recording (they want the Kindle and Audible books to be in sync).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Theli posted:

Fuuuck, I finally caught up with TWI after starting it like 10 months ago, and it's in the middle of the solstice.

Now what the hell do I read while waiting for new chapters? I'm leaning towards another web serial (I like the format), but I don't know what's good. I've already read PGE and Worm.

Should I pick up where I left off on Ward? I think I stopped pretty early (maybe the second or third arc?) because I got caught up and just wasn't as into it as Worm. It just felt like there was way too much teenage drama and not enough actual story happening, does it get better?

Super Supportive is very popular (for good reason, since it's good).

I also like "Outcast in Another World" and (moreso) the new series by its author "Skill Thief's Canvas," though they're not nearly as popular. I don't think the former is quite on the level of stuff like PGtE or Super Supportive, but it's still fun to read. The latter I actually think *is* on that level and it kinda makes me sad that more people aren't reading it.

There's also Forge of Destiny, which is a very well done "following a person in a cultivation setting" story. It's a bit different in that it's written with audience input on character choices + dice rolls behind the scenes, but the Royal Road version is edited to make that stuff invisible. Normally I don't like stories like that, but the author is very good at developing consistent characters and setting.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Theli posted:

If you want more Wildbow I'd recommend Pact (The black sheep of the family inherits his Grandmother's house, and also the karmic debt of several generations worth of demon summoning) or Twig (Genetically altered child assassins in a world where Mary Shelly actually created Frankenstein rather than just writing about him.

You could also check out the new story by Ensign Erratica, Pale Lights. It's about a subterranean world haunted by various magical monsters where the darkness drives you crazy and civilization is only possible under artificial lights.

The current thread darling is Super Supportive which is a mostly chill but occasionally quite intense story about a teenage boy given powers by the aliens who colonized earth who wants to be a super hero.

Lastly I'll pitch Time to Orbit: Unknown which is about a traveler on a generation ship who is woken up from cryosleep to find out their the only one awake the the ship is wildly behind schedule.

Please note the last three aren't done.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

uPen posted:

All this TWI talk reminded me. I started reading it awhile back and the blog mentioned the first book had been rewritten. I bought it on kindle as that’s nicer to read on than the web and it’s wildly different from what is on the web version.

Is the kindle version of the book the old, unedited web serial version and the website has the nice rewritten content?

These are the Royal Road stories I'm either following or which have been recommended to me.

These are the ones I'm actually reading

A Budding Scientist has... not amazing prose so I wouldn't really recommend that. I didn't like "The Perfect Run" but many people do. The Last Orellen is on hiatus again.

Super Supportive, A Practical Guide to Sorcery, Nowhere Stars, and Forge of Destiny are all must reads.

Edit: As an aside, I just want to point out how loving terrible of a cover Slumrat's vol 1 is. Goddman he should have stuck with the ai generated k-pop star because that grey blur sucks rear end.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 28, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Theli posted:

Ar'Kendrithyst, Beneath the Dragoneye Moons, Slumrat Rising, Super Supportive, and Time to Orbit:Unknown are my favorite ongoing stories right now. This Used To Be About Dungeons is also pretty good and just ended recently.

Don't read Ward, it's not very good.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
I read a fair amount of Pact and a bit of Twig, but much like Ward, I just couldn't get into them. Definitely gonna check out Super Supportive and Pale Lights for now, thanks for the suggestions!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

These are the Royal Road stories I'm either following or which have been recommended to me.

A Budding Scientist has... not amazing prose so I wouldn't really recommend that. I didn't like "The Perfect Run" but many people do. The Last Orellen is on hiatus again.

Super Supportive, A Practical Guide to Sorcery, Nowhere Stars, and Forge of Destiny are all must reads.

Edit: As an aside, I just want to point out how loving terrible of a cover Slumrat's vol 1 is. Goddman he should have stuck with the ai generated k-pop star because that grey blur sucks rear end.

Is that cover display from the reader you use? If so, what program?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you are reading Chrysalis, you should read that author's better story, Book of the Dead.
And everyone should read Arkendrithyst.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone is pretty good. If you're gonna read Slumrat, it got stubbed, so you have to pick the first book up on Kindle or whatever.

If you want stuff that's complete: This Used to be About Dungeons is fun and one of my favourites. His other story Worth the Candle is pretty good too, although it's quite a bit more jank and it did inspire the thread title. I haven't managed to get into his latest one, which is Thresholder. I need to push through the first bit until it gets good I guess, but I haven't had the motivation.

Mother of Learning was the top rated story on RR until Super Supportive took over. It basically inspired the whole Time-Loop genre, and it's pretty good, even if the ending is kinda weak.

Vainqueur the Dragon was a lot of fun too, well written comedy, but I've never got into any of their other stories.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 28, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

navyjack posted:

Is that cover display from the reader you use? If so, what program?

I't s a self-hosted instance of Calibre-Web. Though I only use that as a read-only in-browser reader. I use the regular Calibre as my ebook repository manager.

Also a recommend for following RoyalRoad stuff is to use fanficfare (either the Calibre plugin like I do, or the command line tool). This lets you keep epub versions of the stories updated with one command/button click. Setup email notifications from royal road and give the application access to that email account to make the update process even smoother.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peachfart posted:

If you are reading Chrysalis, you should read that author's better story, Book of the Dead.
And everyone should read Arkendrithyst.

The first “book” of Book of the Dead has been taken off RR.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
May I suggest Beware of Chicken? The alt universe story is free on royalroad and if you like, it, the main story is on kindle andpartly still on royalroad.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/76677/boc-alternate-universe-soaring-heavens-isle

Man chooses peace and a good life.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

LLSix posted:

The first “book” of Book of the Dead has been taken off RR.

Sadly this is also true of This Used to be About Dungeons.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Gah, I probably wouldn't have linked it if I'd realised. :( Foxes Tongue is also stubbed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fox's Tongue is worth paying for imo :homebrew:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Nettle Soup posted:

Fox's Tongue and Kirin's Bone is pretty good. If you're gonna read Slumrat, it got stubbed, so you have to pick the first book up on Kindle or whatever.

If you want stuff that's complete: This Used to be About Dungeons is fun and one of my favourites. His other story Worth the Candle is pretty good too, although it's quite a bit more jank and it did inspire the thread title. I haven't managed to get into his latest one, which is Thresholder. I need to push through the first bit until it gets good I guess, but I haven't had the motivation.

Mother of Learning was the top rated story on RR until Super Supportive took over. It basically inspired the whole Time-Loop genre, and it's pretty good, even if the ending is kinda weak.

Vainqueur the Dragon was a lot of fun too, well written comedy, but I've never got into any of their other stories.

I don't know why I'm marking this as a spoiler, but I read MoL a few months ago and I think the ending was fine. It was pretty rote but did what it had to do; I wouldn't call it great but I don't think it's nearly bad enough to color the rest of the work.

Katalepsis is also worth checking out; dark urban fantasy with an eldritch twist. Very queer. (I hate writing brief descriptions of series, they always seem stupid. Oh well.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Paba posted the new TWI chapter early. Current patreon chapter: loving hell this was a rough chapter to get through. Fuuuuuuck Roshal, goddamn. Also can't believe Paba would kill Kevin like that. He'd JUST had a big revelation on Christmas!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Paba posted the new TWI chapter early. Current patreon chapter: loving hell this was a rough chapter to get through. Fuuuuuuck Roshal, goddamn. Also can't believe Paba would kill Kevin like that. He'd JUST had a big revelation on Christmas!

I wonder how permanent some of those deaths are from our point of view. Given how Erin was actively interacting with the system in that chapter, I wonder how long till we start getting some dimension hopping between the “living” realm and the remaining afterlife realms.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

.Z. posted:

I wonder how permanent some of those deaths are from our point of view. Given how Erin was actively interacting with the system in that chapter, I wonder how long till we start getting some dimension hopping between the “living” realm and the remaining afterlife realms.

Oh I'm sure we'll get a sidestory in Hell sooner or later, but for probably a decent while lots of folks are dead. Fun group being setup for future Hellventures though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Time to Orbit Unknown is getting spicy again

TtOU 119: So Hylera has an active human colony now that overtook our crew on the way from Earth due to all the setbacks. I wonder what the actual twist here is going to be. Were they counting on them never arriving due to the sabotage? Are they going to be merely a second set of hapless colonists? This is also going to massively mess with any plans to deal with the prisoner's kill switches.

Honestly really gripping me with the possibilities right now

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh man so many "oh shiiit" moments in that TWI patreon chapter. Kevin noooo! Imani :( And then Erin talking to GDI, the deal with Lucifen (I totally thought she was gonna use her blood to post the Destroy Roshal quest), and now her taking active steps towards the next goal instead of doing her normal thing where she bides time while exercising her soft power I can also see why pirate elected to post it today instead of taking an update off; a lot of people were worried that the status at the end of the last update was going to form the basis of a wholeass arc, which would probably have been no fun for anyone.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh I'm sure we'll get a sidestory in Hell sooner or later, but for probably a decent while lots of folks are dead. Fun group being setup for future Hellventures though.

Yeah... Right after all those new lands stories that are surely just around the corner...

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

pirate could probably get a generative ai trained on their style with the amount of content they’ve got out. Then just feed it plot points and edit the result.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

.Z. posted:

pirate could probably get a generative ai trained on their style with the amount of content they’ve got out. Then just feed it plot points and edit the result.

Please. You're like the third useless earnest AI Guy I've seen randomly pop up in the threads i follow recently. Everyone always hates this line of discussion. Just... drop it :reject:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

.Z. posted:

That sounds like complete dogshit and would absolutely be slower than just writing the stuff herself anyway.

AI freaks please gently caress off forever thanks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skill Thief 32 Part 2 - So we finally get a full look at what happened between Eric and Adam. The "main event" is exactly what I expected, but all the context leading up to it makes it so much worse. The author did a fantastic job of portraying the sort of relationship they had. The stuff with Adam's Dad was also really difficult to read.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Haystack posted:

Please. You're like the third useless earnest AI Guy I've seen randomly pop up in the threads i follow recently. Everyone always hates this line of discussion. Just... drop it :reject:

While you luddites wait for the next TWI chapter, I'll be enjoying a dozen volumes of AI-generated Bird slash fiction.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
6 full length novels of silveran cleaning increasingly difficult things and getting sweet skills

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 110: Oh no...I'm guessing that Lute is going to flip out in response to whatever Hazel does?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 110:

Sleyca posted a comment giving her canonical inspiration for Aulia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just finished Collective Thinking earlier today. It's a paranormal thriller; the main character finds herself thrown into a world of psychic intrigue and espionage. I enjoyed it quite a bit; it keeps a fun, action-movie pace throughout, and the supporting cast is fun without being overly quirky. It's pretty well-written as well. My most serious criticism of it would be that I never really was able to become invested in the main character. Check it out!