Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

Kylaer posted:

As an aside it's so nice to have such an assortment of really good writers in our silly nerd books. I remember when I got into 40K, there was Abnett, Sandy Mitchell if you enjoyed the formula by which he wrote all his stories, and...Graham McNeil on a good day I guess, Storm of Iron was okay I recall...and otherwise it was real bottom-shelf trash. Now Black Library is publishing from a whole slew of genuinely skilled writers and it's awesome.

Agreeing with this a lot. In recent years it really feels like Black Library is shooting well above par for tie-in fiction, particularly for a game setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did we read the same book? Because I recall the little lords being dumb-cute lil pets that were constantly running around pranking each other and would occasionally get picked up and petted, I even recall one "cooing" in a comforting manner when petted by a plaguemarine in deep contemplation over something.

It was the most wholesome :vomarine:/:3: thing Grandfather Nurgle had ever come up with

i mean cat style creature as the highest possible compliment. they're treated like really disgusting kittens, running around falling off things and hissing at each other and causing a ruckus and whatever, clearly treated as pets by the crew.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Mephiston City of Light is a bit, but I personally wouldn't read that again if you paid me.

Yeah we'll skip that, thanks. I think he wants a Tzeentch version of Lords of Silence and no one has written that yet. I'll recommend he checks out Ahriman.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I absolutely love the nurglings in Warhawk (or is it Echoes of Eternity?), and I love how enamored the Death Guard are with them even more.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Quick lore question. Has there ever been mention or depiction of a Celestial Lion being a part of the Deathwatch, or is that just asking for some workplace accidents?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

celewign posted:

It’s one my my favorite omnibuses and I still love to reread the description of Slannesh.

Bile disintegrating spiritually and physically under the direct gaze of Slaanesh themself: "Mindless figments of the collective unconsciousness."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

jadebullet posted:

Quick lore question. Has there ever been mention or depiction of a Celestial Lion being a part of the Deathwatch, or is that just asking for some workplace accidents?

There was a Celestial Lion librarian in the Deathwatch comic a few years ago.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Black Griffon posted:

I absolutely love the nurglings in Warhawk (or is it Echoes of Eternity?), and I love how enamored the Death Guard are with them even more.

The thing I really loved about it in Warhawk is that the same DG marines who loved the nurglings were incredibly repulsed by them when Nurgle's veil temporary lifted after Mortarion's banishment and realized what they were

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

God I love Hereticus. The train chapters are my favorite bits of 40k writing I think, and there's so much pain and heartbreak.

Angry Lobster posted:

The thing I really loved about it in Warhawk is that the same DG marines who loved the nurglings were incredibly repulsed by them when Nurgle's veil temporary lifted after Mortarion's banishment and realized what they were

Really goes to prove that we, the readers, are in Nurgle's thrall, and considering the state of things I'd say that checks out.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Black Griffon posted:

God I love Hereticus. The train chapters are my favorite bits of 40k writing I think, and there's so much pain and heartbreak.

Really goes to prove that we, the readers, are in Nurgle's thrall, and considering the state of things I'd say that checks out.

I definitely am.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pyrolocutus posted:

Bile disintegrating spiritually and physically under the direct gaze of Slaanesh themself: "Mindless figments of the collective unconsciousness."

Shadows flickering on a wall in a cave one might say.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Black Griffon posted:

A slow death on an imp ship is having your leg crushed by some kind of auxiliary rudder piston in subsection 4A Thetus between armor plate Beta and Trius and dying alone five days later from heavy metal and radiation poisoning, having screamed yourself hoarse. A slow death on a chaos vessel is being stretched over months until you're thin enough and transparent enough to be the lens in a gun sight and then existing like that in the untimes of the warp for aeons, feeling every moment, never sleeping, begging every day for a space battle to end you.

Here is a superb post by a poster who really understands Chaos :wtc::respek::hmmyes:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Safety Helmet posted:

My opinion would be to read the 4 novels in order of publication date (Fire Caste, Spiral Dawn, Requiem Infernal, The Reverie). The first two are more typical IG stories accompanied with Fehervari’s literary style. The third and especially the fourth book are immersed in the style. I’m not sure I would have gotten hooked if I jumped In the deep end.

But if you end up like me, you’ll read ‘em all several times anyway.

Fehervari should get on with it and write his next novel. I'm jonesing here.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What are some (good) novels covering more recent events? I’ve been sort of out of the fiction loop since 8E, and though I’ve read a lot of high-level stuff to get caught up to where the setting in general is, some books with more specifics would be nice.

Bonus points if they are about or heavily feature AdMech.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Anno posted:

What are some (good) novels covering more recent events? I’ve been sort of out of the fiction loop since 8E, and though I’ve read a lot of high-level stuff to get caught up to where the setting in general is, some books with more specifics would be nice.

The current setting revolves around Cadia falling and the rift opening, Guilliman's return, and then The Lion returning.

Cadia Stands, Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion, Devastation of Baal, Dark Imperium, The Lion: Sons of the Forrest in that order (I think, im unsure where Dark Imperium stands with the recent re-write) would catch you up.

The first three listed are the first books in their own series. You can backfill as needed.

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

I'm a quarter into TEATD2 so mostly ignoring spoilers, but having the remnant of the Solar Fleet keep their voices down so the heretics don't hear them was a real Wing Commander moment. Could someone tell Abnett sound doesn't
carry through space? While you're at it, tell John French that spaceships don't stop moving if their engines are off.

I know this is just pulpy poo poo, but stuff like this really does make one want to waaaagh.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Have you read The Great Work?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The enemy isn't constrained by the same physics everyone else is.

As Horus will spectacularly demonstrate llater.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

moths posted:

The enemy isn't constrained by the same physics everyone else is.

As Horus will spectacularly demonstrate llater.

I absolutely love the scenes of Angron standing out on the prow of his ship screaming I HATE YOU DAD :kratos: and it being audible despite the absolute physical impossibility. He's just that angry.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anno posted:

Seconding The Great Work as the book you'd probably want to start with, having the most ad mech in it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Philthy posted:

The current setting revolves around Cadia falling and the rift opening, Guilliman's return, and then The Lion returning.

Cadia Stands, Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion, Devastation of Baal, Dark Imperium, The Lion: Sons of the Forrest in that order (I think, im unsure where Dark Imperium stands with the recent re-write) would catch you up.

Don't you mean Fall of Cadia?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I'm pleasantly surprised by Noah Van Nguyen's Yndrasta Age of Sigmar audiobook, just hit the first interlude. The worldbuilding is pretty good so far, and Emma Gregory has voices for the other, more mortal, characters that stray far from her usual Sister of Battle/Celestine/narrator/Minthara/Yndrasta voice. I want to say she does some icelandic accents but my untrained american ear can't say for sure.

I'm still leery about the overall plot being "flying storm angel wants to punch out a mythical god kraken of the deep without having a plan for if it just goes underwater" so hopefully there's a good story there.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 29, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Anno posted:

Mike Brooks' Brutal Kunnin' is a great novel about Orks and the hapless Techpriests whose forge world they're invading.

Also he did the aforementioned The Lion: Son of the Forest, and Renegades: Harrowmaster, a book that actually makes the Alpha Legion (at least some of them) likeable.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think Brutal Kunnin' is probably a good time, but after digesting it I've landed on the opinion that the audiobook narrator does a pretty bad job, and as a result, I don't really remember much of the book beyond the broad points.

He's sounds fine for like a fuckin... GW youtuber or something.

Kylaer posted:

Here is a superb post by a poster who really understands Chaos :wtc::respek::hmmyes:

aw, always nice when my most deranged qualities are appreciated

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 29, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I’ll start with the Cawl book since it seems like a standalone and then maybe start Dark Imperium.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Anno posted:

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I’ll start with the Cawl book since it seems like a standalone and then maybe start Dark Imperium.

Good call I can't remember if I did Cawl or DI Book 2 first but those four fit well together.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Anno posted:

Just be aware that The Great Work is the current "last" book in the new time line

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

Don't you mean Fall of Cadia?

I don't think so. I'm reading a synopsis of Cadia Stands and it looks like the right book that I read a while back. It details the fall of Cadia from the perspective of Cadian troops and some Space Marines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/7kftoy/cadia_stands_or_does_it_spoilers_cadia_stands_by/

Anno
May 10, 2017

notaspy posted:

Just be aware that The Great Work is the current "last" book in the new time line

Good to know! Does any industrious Warham fan out there keep some kind of timeline of this stuff?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Anno posted:

Good to know! Does any industrious Warham fan out there keep some kind of timeline of this stuff?

https://www.trackofwords.com/2021/01/10/black-library-new-40k-reading-list/

I use this one, it's missing a few in the middle but apart from that it's fine

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

notaspy posted:

Genefather takes place after it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I got through about a quarter of The Great Work and so far it’s a fantastic read. Cawl is a delightful scenery chewer. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Infinite and the Divine was incredibly cool and singularly unique as far as wild adventure across space and time, but honestly I think twice dead king might supplant it in my mind as I'm going through now. I just love how rich and emotional these gotdamn killer robits are. Lots of super memorable characters.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Anno posted:

I got through about a quarter of The Great Work and so far it’s a fantastic read. Cawl is a delightful scenery chewer. Thanks again for the recommendation.

I swear Guy Haley writes most of his good scenes as if they're meant for the big screen. The crescendo tank fight in Baneblade, the undersea walk in Titandeath...and the weird slapstick comedy opening scene in The Great Work that doesn't fit the rest of the book at all, but it would translate perfectly to a show or movie, two bumbling tech adepts doing everything short of accidentally sticking their :dong:s in electrical sockets as they try not to get shot down by their own allies.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Kylaer posted:

I swear Guy Haley writes most of his good scenes as if they're meant for the big screen. The crescendo tank fight in Baneblade, the undersea walk in Titandeath...and the weird slapstick comedy opening scene in The Great Work that doesn't fit the rest of the book at all, but it would translate perfectly to a show or movie, two bumbling tech adepts doing everything short of accidentally sticking their :dong:s in electrical sockets as they try not to get shot down by their own allies.

Yeah I read like two pages of it and had to go back and read it again once I understood the tone it was going for. Unexpected but very entertaining.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sharkopath posted:

Infinite and the Divine was incredibly cool and singularly unique as far as wild adventure across space and time, but honestly I think twice dead king might supplant it in my mind as I'm going through now. I just love how rich and emotional these gotdamn killer robits are. Lots of super memorable characters.

Both works are great in different ways. IatD is an action comedy, and ultimately a bit fluffy. neither main character learns a drat thing from what they went through, and that's a big part of the joke. Twice Dead is a serious character study with a strong arc and an excellent plot for the character to be in while they develop.

In a way it's like trying to pick which is better between Alien and Aliens. They're both at the very peak of their respective genres and are very different movies. The only possible criteria is based on which genre you enjoy more, and that's subjective and says nothing about the actual quality of the films.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Of course, it's just comparing two things thst are both very good.

Although I do think Rath's ccombat scenes tend to drag, for a book that has a lot of them. It'd the only real negative criticism I can think of for what was a very funny and very cool adventure.

It's cool that necron fans are feasting in recent years though, I wish Eldar got books as good. Haleys Valedor is very cool and I even enjoyed Thorpe's cancelled Phoenix lord series, and that kinds feels like all they've had for a while.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 30, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Philthy posted:

I don't think so. I'm reading a synopsis of Cadia Stands and it looks like the right book that I read a while back. It details the fall of Cadia from the perspective of Cadian troops and some Space Marines.

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/7kftoy/cadia_stands_or_does_it_spoilers_cadia_stands_by/

Fall of Cadia is the new one released a few months ago. It's also about (obviously) the fall of Cadia, but is written more like the old Space Marine Battles books. So it's multiple viewpoints from Creed and Abbadon down to an IG officer level. It's a little puzzling why they revisited the destruction of Cadia well in 2023, but FoC is a much better book than the 2018 original take. If you're going to read one, read the recent one.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm reading Fall of Cadia now, it's quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Finished the two Blackstone Fortress novels by Darius Hinks, and they both totally owned??? They were in an omnibus with several short stories, most of which were also good.