Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
So the former warlord that Ace defeated is probably the man with the burn scars, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Crosspeice posted:

Kuma explaining the Nika Nika world liberation plan to an increasingly disgusted Luffy: Ah whatever you'll figure it out in like 3 years, I'll push this memory out of you. See you never, God King Joy D. Boy, and don't damage that hat!!!

lol dammit and I thought we were done. OOODDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It makes sense that Ace was offered a warlord position knowing that he defeated a former one. Otherwise, it didn't really explain what made him so exceptional in a sea full of exceptional pirates, especially a rookie one at that.

edit: don't memories return to their original user after a period of time? there's no way that memory was kept hidden for so long. Unless it did come back and Luffy STILL doesn't remember kuma lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jassa posted:

I reckon Kuma's been sent to investigate rumours of a rubber boy. He'll see signs of Nika within Luffy and discover his connection to Dragon, but they won't actually meet (we know Luffy doesn't recognise him at Sabaody).
Kuma will feed the WG misinformation about Luffy and that'll throw them off Luffy's scent until Sabaody/Marineford.

I might be alone here but the way I interpreted the end of this chapter is that Kuma was heading toward Windmill Village, possibly on personal business (checking on Luffy for Dragon? trying to research amnesiac Sabo's history? just finding cool places to tell Bonnie about?) but the call from the WG preempted whatever he was doing there. Sort've like a near miss "he almost encountered Luffy years ago but got called away at the last second"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

gently caress you i had to stop and look away and cry when Kuma said "i'm so grateful" :cry:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

So the former warlord that Ace defeated is probably the man with the burn scars, right

hm interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

yum posted:

It makes sense that Ace was offered a warlord position knowing that he defeated a former one. Otherwise, it didn't really explain what made him so exceptional in a sea full of exceptional pirates, especially a rookie one at that.

edit: don't memories return to their original user after a period of time? there's no way that memory was kept hidden for so long. Unless it did come back and Luffy STILL doesn't remember kuma lol

Luffy remembers but has no idea it was Kuma because he wore a different hat that day

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CharlestonJew posted:

Luffy remembers but has no idea it was Kuma because he wore a different hat that day

Yeah, people are jumping through a lot of hoops to figure out how Luffy might not remember something unrelated to food or adventure.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

yum posted:

Unless he took that memory in and is gonna let it go back to luffy when he arrives...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Yeah, people are jumping through a lot of hoops to figure out how Luffy might not remember something unrelated to food or adventure.
Right, but even Luffy should remember someone as visually distinct as Kuma. How often does he see anything resembling Kuma- that size, with bear ears... wait... Luffy is going to remember but he'll think Kuma was just a bear! Just another one of the forest creatures he's constantly fighting.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

mabels big day posted:

Kizaru doing the Nika dance is crazy

I was completely shocked by it, isnt that like kinda treason?

Also, is Alpha a codename for Kalifa, or her mom or what? If its her mom it's sort of crazy that weve seen both of a minor villains parents in separate flashbacks 800 chapters apart.

Does the world government just get its best soldiers to gently caress each other in a weird eugenics program for super soldiers?

yum posted:

Not if the bubble is consumed or held back in some way. Kuma could have just hucked a passing deer into the memory bubble and now its got all those memories it cant do anything with and which wont return to luffy. Also, frankly, if I were Kuma I dont know if Id have been against throwing animals into the old peoples pain bubbles over taking it myself.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 30, 2023

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

🤔

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

kumas built different

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eiba posted:

Right, but even Luffy should remember someone as visually distinct as Kuma. How often does he see anything resembling Kuma- that size, with bear ears... wait... Luffy is going to remember but he'll think Kuma was just a bear! Just another one of the forest creatures he's constantly fighting.

Did Luffy need to be told to bow to the Drum Island hiking bears?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Dragon can't visit his son but kuma under the guide of the wg can

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Interesting comment Kizaru made that the snowy Egghead Island is ‘no Punk Hazard’. Presumably this portion of the flashback is set before that island gets transformed, but I wonder what kind of island it was?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I see Oda has realised its pretty weird the government never tried to do anything about the obvious God fruit man Monkey D. Joyboy and is finally working in an explanation about that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Also, is Alpha a codename for Kalifa, or her mom or what? If its her mom it's sort of crazy that weve seen both of a minor villains parents in separate flashbacks 800 chapters apart.

Does the world government just get its best soldiers to gently caress each other in a weird eugenics program for super soldiers?

Not if the bubble is consumed or held back in some way. Kuma could have just hucked a passing deer into the memory bubble and now its got all those memories it cant do anything with and which wont return to luffy. Also, frankly, if I were Kuma I dont know if Id have been against throwing animals into the old peoples pain bubbles over taking it myself.

It can't be Kalifa since she'd still have been in her years long deep cover for Iceberg, I think.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the purpose of Kuma's Luffy visit will be to establish why he helped the straw hats at Saobody. He might discover the gum-gum/Nika link somehow. He doesn't necessarily have to have a face-to-face meeting with Luffy to do this.

e: It might be that he's asked to retrieve the Nika fruit, sees Luffy and joins the dots

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

[/spoiler]

most of the Cipher Pol are orphans (or children straight up sold to the Navy) iirc, so from there it’s not a crazy reach to assume Alpha’s Kalifa’s older sibling and they were both “adopted” around the same time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Plutonis posted:

That's the first I heard of Ace beating the Shichibukai before Kuma. Is it from the Ace novels?

Maybe he beat one up, but maybe his "exploits" mean something else.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, what a good chapter.

The closer we get to present day, the sadder it gets :smith:

It's neat to see a flashback to like... right before the series started, essentially. I hope we get context around both of Kuma's previous meetings with the Strawhats, that would be cool.

Meme Emulator posted:

Why would Kizaru know that? Nika is void century stuff, presumably the connection to the Buccaneer line is why they're so despised by the World Government, but also it means that nobody else even knows about it.

Remember: Nobody besides the Gorosei and presumably Imu even know the true nature of Luffy's fruit. He just thinks Gear 5 is a weird extra form.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

Remember: Nobody besides the Gorosei and presumably Imu even know the true nature of Luffy's fruit. He just thinks Gear 5 is a weird extra form.

I think Kaido has a clue but doesn't have the full story like the Elder Stars do. I think he knows of the legend and that such a messianic figure would fit into his objective of overturning the world order, also even if he didn't know it at first glance, someone who could beat him could only be Joyboy since nobody else would be capable of that feat.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Next chapter is gonna be brutal I can feel it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oda reminding everyone one last time that Cowgirl Robin is the best Robin outfit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Funky Valentine posted:

Oda reminding everyone one last time that Cowgirl Robin is the best Robin outfit.

Cowgirl Robin is great, but the Enies Lobby fit was her best.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gyges posted:

Kalifa's sister is absolutely either going to gently caress up and say something about what's really happening that Bonny overhears, or will be cruel for the sake of cruelty because she doesn't think Bonny can do anything. And a super-powered pre-teen is nearly as volatile as a super-powered teenager. Perhaps more so if they tell her they tricked her daddy.

Props to Saturn for really solidifying his standing at the top of the One Piece Assholes I want to see punched into oblivion. Dude had some real competition, and he just smoked them all.

I was kind of assuming it was literally just Kalifa, and the k not being there was just a standard spy pseudonym

... though stopping to think about it, she was probably already undercover at Water 7 by this point.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyges posted:

Cowgirl Robin is great, but the Enies Lobby fit was her best.

Strong World also a contender

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Best Robin outfit is def cowboy but the egghead outfit is pretty great too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man, that panel of them all dancing at Egghead.... :shobon:

Kuma meets young Luffy, decided to Paw-Paw push Luffy's desire to be King of the Pirates out of him, is immediately sent flying halfway across the ocean by the recoil.

Seriously! :lol:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Supremezero posted:

I was kind of assuming it was literally just Kalifa, and the k not being there was just a standard spy pseudonym

... though stopping to think about it, she was probably already undercover at Water 7 by this point.

From what I can gather it seems like Kuma's visit to Vegapunk happened sometime less than 4 years before the start of the series, and CP9's mission to infiltrate Water 7 started at least 5 years before start so yeah Kalifa is already on that mission at the time this Alpha person appears in the flahback.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Interesting comment Kizaru made that the snowy Egghead Island is ‘no Punk Hazard’. Presumably this portion of the flashback is set before that island gets transformed, but I wonder what kind of island it was?

Punk Hazard seemed to have a pretty temperate/tropical climate before Caesar gassed it. You can see tiny bits of it during the flashback near the end of ch 684, but they show more in the anime. Lots of lush vegetation.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

most of the Cipher Pol are orphans (or children straight up sold to the Navy) iirc, so from there it’s not a crazy reach to assume Alpha’s Kalifa’s older sibling and they were both “adopted” around the same time.

Kalifa’s dad was in Spandine's CP9 https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Laskey

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hereditary Assholery strikes again.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So when do we find out that Saturn and co also violated the deal in some way we don't yet know about because they are literally compelled like lungs needing air to be complete and utter assholes?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

WaIting for the reveal that they gave Bonney the disease on purpose to lure Kuma into this deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cornwind Evil posted:

So when do we find out that Saturn and co also violated the deal in some way we don't yet know about because they are literally compelled like lungs needing air to be complete and utter assholes?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess chapter 1101