Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Why isn’t yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
He's got a red horn on her.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

wtf how is his noelle so buff

:aaa:

UHD posted:

Why isn’t yours

:haibrow:

Noelle MVP

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Been on a bit of a Genshin break for about 8 months now. I think I left off right before the post-Sumeru Dainsleif chapter. So I haven't experienced any of Fontaine.

How's the story going? I know some people were hoping Fontaine would shake things up, has this been the case?

Also, what about that one hot lady Harbinger that everyone was excited for? She cool? She available for pulls yet?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mordiceius posted:

How's the story going? I know some people were hoping Fontaine would shake things up, has this been the case?

Also, what about that one hot lady Harbinger that everyone was excited for? She cool? She available for pulls yet?

Story is good, albeit it's good in two parts with a completely irrelevant and mechanically lovely section in the middle. The storyline is again self-contained for the most part, and you get few overarching hints at a grander scale around the fringes. It'll probably have another Dainleif chapter eventually that is a bit more relevant to the plot. The harbinger is not on a banner, or announced on one, or in beta.

Mechanically, Fontaine itself is pretty good. Underwater is pretty and feels like a natural extension. There's a ton of new gimmicks, just like Sumeru, but they don't have the deep quest requirements for interacting with the gimmicks like Sumeru did. The 5*s have been focused on gaining/losing HP, though the next one is converting crystallize to damage. It's still Genshin and it doesn't make any wild changes, but it's pretty good and (aforementioned quest aside) eliminates some of the more annoying idea from Sumeru.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I think Sumeru was much better than Fontaine, but that still just means Fontaine easily clutches second story. The last part really turned it around (like it always does tbh) but I found there to be a lot of filler in the middle segment especially.

Exploration is good, they actually made being underwater fun and enjoyable. I prefer the deserts of Sumeru but the world quests are very solid and if you like the deeplore they tease some very interesting poo poo throughout Fontaine, just without the powerful personal punch that Jeht added to the story.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mailer posted:

The storyline is again self-contained for the most part, and you get few overarching hints at a grander scale around the fringes.

Ah, so they're just sticking with the formula mostly, it seems.

Good to hear Fontaine is fun. I feel like my time with Genshin is always about playing in manic bursts. I usually come back around the time of Lantern Rite, play for about three months, and then get burned out trying to keep up and quit until the next year's Lantern Rite.

quote:

The harbinger is not on a banner, or announced on one, or in beta.

Good to know I have time until I need to return. Because she will pull me back in.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Swimming and underwater combat in Fontaine is absolutely amazing and you will begin drowning everywhere else from sheer habit

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Furina is the new best character in the game. Honestly didnt think they could top Nahida but then they did

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Note Block posted:

Swimming and underwater combat in Fontaine is absolutely amazing and you will begin drowning everywhere else from sheer habit

Thankfully, Furina solves this by making swimming outside Fontaine completely optional!

(now watch Natlan have absolutely no water whatsoever)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
natlan has lava instead

or they brought in hidetaka miyazaki as a guest designer and it's all poison swamps

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Hobbes posted:

Genshin is not exactly a lucky game for me, and I don't really want Cyno or Ayato. But I risked a 10 pull anyway and finally got my C6 Xiangling and a C0 Kirara.

This counts as my most fortuitous pull in years. Rolling for 4 stars like a champ. Maybe Navia will help me pull my 50:50 close to an actual 50:50!

It's ok, you aren't alone.

My luck is actually substantially worse than this because it doesn't count any of my horrible first-year pulls. Also every 5* dupe I've ever gotten has been another Qiqi, including the Qiqi I pulled 2 days ago.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

natlan has lava instead

or they brought in hidetaka miyazaki as a guest designer and it's all poison swamps

i hope if theres lava we can fish in it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wait, Dendro cores damage you when they explode???

how did I not notice this....

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Because they only deal relevant amounts of damage if you're on underleveled characters, or have nilou's goldenblooms blowing up in your face.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Suggestions on what BP weapon to pick? I'm about to hit 30, and thinking I'll probably cough up the :10bux: .

Currently I'm running Kaeya/Bennett/Xiangling/Beidou, but after new toons and thread feedback, looking to switch to Dendro Traveler/Kuki/Barbara/Lynette. I gave Kuki Lion's Roar which I just got also. Barbara I gave that 3* Thrilling Tales book (the spreadsheet has it has her top weapon for support, but for bloom the only thing I have on the list is Magic Guide 3*). I don't really have anything for Traveler / Lynette (unless I take stuff from my current team).

I have a prototype rancour / archaic / starglitter made and in use. I have the billets to make a sword and catalyst. The only other swords I have are a few random 3*s.

Also I just now found out that you can retrieve cooking items from anywhere - not just where you queued them up. Whoops.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Serpent spine is considered one of the best 4 star weapons in the game, though the Ballad of the Fjords is a great spear and usable on more people (arguably).

Since you're new, it'll depend on who your trying to build out

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 30, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Note Block posted:

Real testament to MHY that they managed to make underwater segments fun in a F2P mobile game while there are decades of AAA titles failing to accomplish making them remotely tolerable

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Serpent spine is considered one of the best 4 star weapons in the game, though the Ballad of the Fjords is a great spear and usable on more people (arguably).

Since you're new, it'll depend on who your trying to build out

I'd only recommend Ballad of the Fjords for Hu Tao or Raiden hyperbloom (and even then Dragon's Bane is better for her). Xiangling is hard to make Fjords fully work on due to her er requirements and The Catch is right there. Barring anything specific I would say you may as well start the journey to Serpent Spine r5.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Pick the BP weapon for a character you need crit rate on the most. The Wolf Fang is good on a lot of characters. Some BP weapons are better than others, but don't pick Serpent Spine just because it has the best bonuses from refinements. Pick Serpent Spine if you have a character who is actually going to use it. Who needs crit rate the most?

No Wave posted:

There are chests placed out of bounds in one-time domains you have to glitch into but those dont really count (they dont count for completion percent either).

There's one in sumeru you get by clearing a specific enemy camp four times, as in you need to do it across four daily resets. And there's the 1.0 liyue one where you have to use geo traveler E on the head of a statue near the water in liyue (that one is my vote for most nonsense/hidden).

And ofc there's the heart chest that requires co-op but at least there's an achievement tied to that one.
There's a chest in fontaine like that near the Fountain of Lucine where you need to kill two birds while in coop to make the chest spawn.

I still can't find one Sumeru chest. Wiki just says it spawns "sometimes" in Apam woods.

Speaking of, there's some chest under the water of Samudra Coast in sumeru I never figured out how to find.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sanctum posted:

I still can't find one Sumeru chest. Wiki just says it spawns "sometimes" in Apam woods.

There's a particular rain bubble which spawns with the rain on in the northwest part of the lake. It might be the chest when it breaks or might just be a dud.

Sanctum posted:

Speaking of, there's some chest under the water of Samudra Coast in sumeru I never figured out how to find.

I remember this one, I think it was somewhere in this big underground fight arena you did as part of the zone quest.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 30, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

xZAOx posted:

Suggestions on what BP weapon to pick? I'm about to hit 30, and thinking I'll probably cough up the :10bux: .

Currently I'm running Kaeya/Bennett/Xiangling/Beidou, but after new toons and thread feedback, looking to switch to Dendro Traveler/Kuki/Barbara/Lynette. I gave Kuki Lion's Roar which I just got also. Barbara I gave that 3* Thrilling Tales book (the spreadsheet has it has her top weapon for support, but for bloom the only thing I have on the list is Magic Guide 3*). I don't really have anything for Traveler / Lynette (unless I take stuff from my current team).

Just going off these 8 characters, Serpent Spine for Beidou feels like the only fitting choice. Bennett, Xiangling, and Barbara all have great f2p options (though some require unlocking), and neither BP sword is going to drastically improve your sword users.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Meowywitch posted:

wait, Dendro cores damage you when they explode???

how did I not notice this....
They do 5% of their regular damage to you, and Bloom is one of the weaker Dendro reactions. You will start noticing you're blowing yourself up with Nilou's buffed cores or Burgeon. Hyperbloom I think can technically also self-damage but the AoE is so small it will usually never happen.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nakar posted:

They do 5% of their regular damage to you, and Bloom is one of the weaker Dendro reactions. You will start noticing you're blowing yourself up with Nilou's buffed cores or Burgeon. Hyperbloom I think can technically also self-damage but the AoE is so small it will usually never happen.

Also hyperbloom is very often bringing Kuki along since she’s so good at it, so you just heal the damage you receive from cores from playing the team normally.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Real testament to MHY that they managed to make underwater segments fun in a F2P mobile game while there are decades of AAA titles failing to accomplish making them remotely tolerable
The price they pay for their excellent level design is that all their systems and encounter design is done by one guy from the programming team during his lunch breaks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I need a good sword for Furina

Any of them coming up?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fav Sword. Or Wolf's Fang from the bp if you have a lot of er.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’m unsure if it’s more of a slap in the face to players that Albedo’s BiS is forever lost to an event, or if it’s that Furina’s best 4 star is from 1.2 lol. It’s like occasionally they indirectly tell players “you better never take a break”, which hiding lore beyond time limited events already does but gating weapons like that is poo poo.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
It seems weird that they use FOMO to keep playing yet release more content than like, every other game out there I've seen and the gaccha aspect is kind of secondary to the scope and scale of the world. I've had a pretty enjoyable experience without spending a dime but god forbid I ever get caught up or get burnt out again and miss a ton of events

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I dislike almost all of the events so they do a pretty bad job of enticing me into sticking around. Yet another enemy wave combat arena or tedious minigame? Way too much pointless and overly verbose dialogue where people talk about food or whatever? Hu Tao rap? Yeah, no thanks. The one with Fichl/Xinyan/Kazuha/Mona that gave you new islands to explore was decent since overworld exploration is the best part of this game.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They pretty obviously made the pipe sword for Furina so lacking FD doesn't matter nearly as much as Spindle. I don't think any other event weapons really have such an impact, and probably by design. The fomo of it is preemptively watered down.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I do hope they find a way to make event weapons available again, though. The way it's currently handled is definitely sub-par.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 30, 2023

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Thanks everyone to all the build suggestions from (many pages back now) I've managed to actually get myself a semi-competant team that's letting me actually progress now. So that's a lot of fun. Still can't always be sure I can pass an artifact domain at top level, sometimes need to step down to the level 80 version, but I'm fine with this.

I've been bumbling about doing some of the quests in my backlog, of which there are many, but the game keeps making me stop because an NPC in the chain is busy in another quest. So I start that one, except then an NPC in that one is busy in ANOTHER quest and it starts to get very awkward. Is this just a Liyue side quest issue, or something that plagues the game because I've got 3 years of content just dumped at once.

Seperate but similar I was doing one about a chasm in Liyue that suddenly opened a huge area that reminded me of dragonspine. A lot. Like its a multi-day huge explore project with stuff to do. At this point I'm wondering if I should pause on that to go and focus on unlocking Izuma. There's so much game here that you can seemingly do at any time, its quite overwhelming at this point!

If you were starting fresh/restarting from many years, what would you do? Just mainline all the Archon story quests and go back to explore/pickup stuff, or stop and smell the roses on every distracted shiney thing.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

IllusionistTrixie posted:

If you were starting fresh/restarting from many years, what would you do? Just mainline all the Archon story quests and go back to explore/pickup stuff, or stop and smell the roses on every distracted shiney thing.

I would attempt to mainline the story quests, but get distracted by every shiny thing.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Vargs posted:

It's ok, you aren't alone.

My luck is actually substantially worse than this because it doesn't count any of my horrible first-year pulls. Also every 5* dupe I've ever gotten has been another Qiqi, including the Qiqi I pulled 2 days ago.

Hobbes posted:

Genshin is not exactly a lucky game for me, and I don't really want Cyno or Ayato. But I risked a 10 pull anyway and finally got my C6 Xiangling and a C0 Kirara.

This counts as my most fortuitous pull in years. Rolling for 4 stars like a champ. Maybe Navia will help me pull my 50:50 close to an actual 50:50!

oh no, you two are so unlucky

just so happy to have 6 copies of fav greatsword. Yes I pulled two more today, one on the weapon's banner and one on the character.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

I've been bumbling about doing some of the quests in my backlog, of which there are many, but the game keeps making me stop because an NPC in the chain is busy in another quest. So I start that one, except then an NPC in that one is busy in ANOTHER quest and it starts to get very awkward. Is this just a Liyue side quest issue, or something that plagues the game because I've got 3 years of content just dumped at once.
That absolutely just plagues the game, especially when it comes to character story quests. Unfortunately, the only way to reliably stop it from happening is to only start quests you intend to finish right away, and not let them sit around in your log.

quote:

Seperate but similar I was doing one about a chasm in Liyue that suddenly opened a huge area that reminded me of dragonspine. A lot. Like its a multi-day huge explore project with stuff to do. At this point I'm wondering if I should pause on that to go and focus on unlocking Izuma. There's so much game here that you can seemingly do at any time, its quite overwhelming at this point!

If it were me, I'd do Inazuma first, because you can't ascend any Inazuma characters you get past level 40 otherwise. The Archon Quests are also required to unlock more weekly bosses. The Chasm isn't as optional as it looks, though: you need access to most of it for an Archon Quest later on anyway.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 30, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

FractalSandwich posted:

The Archon Quests are also required to unlock more weekly bosses.
Not anymore! All weekly bosses can be triggered through the adventure handbook. I can do Joururi Workshop, The Realm of Beginnings, and Shadows of Another World (The two from Sumeru and one from Fontaine) despite never making it past the chasm

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

Not anymore! All weekly bosses can be triggered through the adventure handbook. I can do Joururi Workshop, The Realm of Beginnings, and Shadows of Another World (The two from Sumeru and one from Fontaine) despite never making it past the chasm
Sorry, I'm a time-traveller from 2022, apparently. Everyone's flipping out over Nahida, and I'm having great fun. I hope the Hydro Archon is just as good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would open up the character archive and look at who got added and seems cool, and after that I'd start moving the story forward. I feel like ever since Inazuma came out they've started adding quests that affect the world that aren't Archon Quests. Fixing The Mikage Furnace, The Sacred Sakura Cleansing ritual, all the Aranara stuff, etc so if I happen to find any side quests that seem important I'll definitely work on those quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Holy crap there's actually two teleport points directly to Fontain that you can only see if you zoom in... Well that makes things easier. How about I go do the barest minimum in the current event for free stuff OOH SHINY LIZARD