Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Haystack posted:

Please. You're like the third useless earnest AI Guy I've seen randomly pop up in the threads i follow recently. Everyone always hates this line of discussion. Just... drop it :reject:

Fajita Queen posted:

That sounds like complete dogshit and would absolutely be slower than just writing the stuff herself anyway.

AI freaks please gently caress off forever thanks

Christ, it was a commentary on the ridiculous amount of content they've put out and that they want to put out. Not a plea that they take up using AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Aware posted:

6 full length novels of silveran cleaning increasingly difficult things and getting sweet skills

Finally a prog lit I can recommend to my dad.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Man TWIs site has had a makeover since I last read it... Three years ago. Much better!

bout to do myself an injury, I think!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aware posted:

6 full length novels of silveran cleaning increasingly difficult things and getting sweet skills

There already is a Roomba isekai litrpg!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lone Goat posted:

There already is a Roomba isekai litrpg!

Unfortunately, it eventually stops being about cleaning :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

LLSix posted:

Unfortunately, it eventually stops being about cleaning :(

Yeah, instead it becomes a story about... Child soldiers, somehow?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

reminds me of how Chibi-Robo starts as a story about a cute cleaning robot and ends up being a story about familial trauma

the plot still keeps moving forward as a direct result of cleaning though, iirc

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Decided to take a quick look through RR's Rising Stars to see if anything piqued my interest, and decided to try Library System Reset: Overdue.

quote:

The Library once stood proud as a beacon of magic and power.

For 500 years, it has been broken.

In ages past, Librarians trained their assistants, passed the stewardship on as one retired to the next. A perfect cycle, just like the purification of the mana it recycled through the known universe. Everything within the balance of knowledge and power.

Then 500 years ago, the system broke. No potential Librarians could be found.

In a last desperate attempt to locate a Librarian, the Library of Everywhere reached out, past the magical worlds it served, to one where magic didn't usually exist. From there, it plucked the sole compatible magical signature it could find and brought her back to the library.

Quinn had just been having a quick existential crisis in her college library. Now as the new Librarian, all she has to do is battle some engorged bookworms, sort through and repair all the damaged books, find and unlock all internal mana pathways, figure out why and how all other potential librarians vanished, and reboot the mana filtration system before all of the magic in the universe runs wild.

And once that’s done? There are 18,042 overdue magical books on the loose.

And people told her Library Science would be a boring career.

It's a bit LitRPG, but it's more in the manner of collating and presenting information than crunchy numbers and math deciding situations. There is also a bit of LitRPG skill nonsense, in that the Library's books impart their knowledge directly to the reader as long as they're capable of comprehending the subject, but they don't provide the physical stuff like reflexes, muscle memory or body strengthening on their own.

It's pretty recent, at just over a month old, but updates are frequent and consistent so far, with advance chapters available, so I don't think it'll be abandoned any time soon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aware posted:

There's Cinnamon Bun I guess.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks for the recommendations I think, might check em out once I finish book 7 of prac guide. Things are coming to a point but I still can't quite call how it's going to go. I don't keep up with the author at all, this is it for the Catherine/Creation stuff right or did they write more?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, instead it becomes a story about... Child soldiers, somehow?
wait, did it actually do this and is it any good, because I read the first couple chapters, chuckled at the parody concept, and then checked out

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wait, did it actually do this and is it any good, because I read the first couple chapters, chuckled at the parody concept, and then checked out

It did do this but like, accidentally? I think a recent authors note was even about how they're not sure how things ended up this way. It's not very good and also the child soldiers are on the protagonist team. Because the Roomba taught some kids how to swordfight with wooden swords and apparently that's enough to make them obscenely powerful. Because LitRPG I guess?

Honestly the whole thing would be a lot less weird if the author didn't keep mentioning the youngest of the OP children is like 6 years old.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aware posted:

Thanks for the recommendations I think, might check em out once I finish book 7 of prac guide. Things are coming to a point but I still can't quite call how it's going to go. I don't keep up with the author at all, this is it for the Catherine/Creation stuff right or did they write more?

It seems like that's it, yeah. If there's ever more in that setting, I'm pretty confident it'll be in some distant future after Catherine is gone.

Currently the author is writing a new series "Pale Lights." It's also pretty good. I think my only minor gripe about it is that it's a bit too "perpetually tense" in a way that sort of reminds me of that one element of wildbow's stuff, which can be a bit exhausting.

.Z. posted:

Christ, it was a commentary on the ridiculous amount of content they've put out and that they want to put out. Not a plea that they take up using AI.

I read your post like you describe, but I think the very topic of AI has become somewhat fraught/"political" where some people are primed to see any not-explicitly-negative references to it's use in creative projects as being supportive.

I think it's also partly an "internet discourse" thing where people become ultra-sensitive to certain types of bad opinions and start constantly seeing them in the shadows (where "the shadows" in this case includes your post).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 2, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Infinity Gaia posted:

It did do this but like, accidentally? I think a recent authors note was even about how they're not sure how things ended up this way. It's not very good and also the child soldiers are on the protagonist team. Because the Roomba taught some kids how to swordfight with wooden swords and apparently that's enough to make them obscenely powerful. Because LitRPG I guess?

Honestly the whole thing would be a lot less weird if the author didn't keep mentioning the youngest of the OP children is like 6 years old.
oh I was hoping it was either Venom Roomba going all Outer Heaven or the roomba fighting against child soldiers

this just sounds awful lmao

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh I was hoping it was either Venom Roomba going all Outer Heaven or the roomba fighting against child soldiers

this just sounds awful lmao

The entire Roomba story is quintessential web serial fare in that the author clearly had a fun and cool idea for volume 1 and NO ideas beyond that. In a different world, they'd just stop there and do something else, but, y'know, Patreon bucks and now a KU deal...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 111: Lute... :(

IMO Lute was correct to own everyone with his harp.

Also goddamn Hazel and Aulia (moreso Aulia because she's an adult and mostly responsible for the whole situation) are the absolute worst. And most of the rest of the Velras by proxy for tolerating everything. It looks like Lute's background story might be finished, since it seems to have just been leading up to the dice thing that got everyone to hate him. Was kind of curious to see when he gets selected, but I guess that's kind of extraneous to what he's trying to explain to Alden.

Edit: This chapter also explains in hindsight why Lute had that moment a couple chapters ago where he suddenly felt the need to explicitly say "I'm glad you didn't die"

Edit2: One thing that just randomly occurred to me (that is completely unrelated to the most recent chapter) is that Wrights seem kind of weird as an Avowed class, given what we know about what being Avowed actually involves.

The part that kind of confuses me is that, when they're first mentioned, it seems natural to compare them with something like Tinkers in Worm. But that doesn't make sense in SupSup's setting. Wright's are seemingly producing actual technology that works on its own and can be used by others, as opposed to the "bullshit tech that is basically made to work using the creator's powers" of Worm Tinkers.

My best understanding (and maybe this was explicitly mentioned at some point) is that they're just granted the ability to enchant things + some sort of tech knowledge that is imparted similarly to spell impressions. But I feel like enchantments would need to be a necessary element, since otherwise the rest of human society could reverse engineer and learn from Wright technology. But if it's just a matter of creating enchanted equipment, it also seems like Artonan society should be capable of producing any tech that Wrights can produce. If Skills (which seem to be the main thing distinguishing Knights/Avowed from normal Artonan Wizards) are directly involved in the production of Wright tech, it's hard for me to imagine exactly how that would work.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ytlaya posted:

I have to say, the Boe arc bored me so badly it bounced me out of reading the story so badly. But this Lute thing has drawn me back in. It's genuinely compelling.

SS might be... good again???

I really like the way Sleyca is going all in on examining just how badly Anesidoran society has been deformed by this poo poo. What a horrible place.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

This whole chapter hit hard.

Honestly, even though I understand why so many of the kids Alden knows dislike Lute, at the same time I'm like, the dice moment sucked but you all loving deserved it. Or, rather it's not like they deserved it but I can only be like 'sorry that happened' while gloating that it did for most of them. The fact that they have the guts to avoid him like the plague afterwards makes me want to roll my eyes out of my head because it's so loving typical.

Also Jesus Christ Lute's entire family is so hosed up. I am no longer confused about why they may be involved in Manon's boater shenanigans; that seems like exactly the kind of dumbass horror poo poo that their kind of wacko self-built imperial dynasty-type family would end up involved in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I really like the way Sleyca is going all in on examining just how badly Anesidoran society has been deformed by this poo poo. What a horrible place.

Yeah, as bad as the other kids are I feel like it must be terrible to spend your entire childhood waiting for the dice to be rolled on what sort of superhuman you'll be for the rest of your life. I forget the percent of people with Avowed parents who don't become Avowed themselves, but IIRC it was something that isn't entirely negligible, like 5% or something. Basically enough that even kids with Avowed parents should have that fear in the back of their heads. It seems like the years when you're normally selected would be immensely stressful, since the more time that passes, the higher chance of being a lower rank.

One kind of goofy thing about the Lute situation is that you'd think that "Avowed status skipping a generation" is still a possibility worth taking seriously, given there haven't been enough generations of Avowed to really get much data on it. I think it makes perfect sense for his mother to psychologically prepare him for not being selected, but it's a little strange that everyone else was so certain he wouldn't be, since it doesn't really makes sense to assume that "the child of the non-Avowed child of two high-rank Avowed" is an equivalent situation to "a child of two people completely unconnected to Avowed families." The default hypothesis would seem to be that there's some genetic element (since Avowed status is so frequently passed from parents to children), and that same hypothesis would lead one to conclude that the grandchild of Avowed still have a higher chance regardless of their parents' status.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 3, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, I noticed that the RR SupSup chapters had passed where my patreon sub last ended, so I went and re-subbed to read them all at once.

SupSup 111: I will say that all the Lute chapters at once, instead of update by update, were an enormous mood downer. I hope that isn't going to be a problem for future readers.

I kinda want to see Lute affix just for cathartic release, maybe with a big "F you Hazel", but other comments have implied that actually turned out to be really depressing too.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bremen posted:

So, I noticed that the RR SupSup chapters had passed where my patreon sub last ended, so I went and re-subbed to read them all at once.

SupSup 111: I will say that all the Lute chapters at once, instead of update by update, were an enormous mood downer. I hope that isn't going to be a problem for future readers.

I kinda want to see Lute affix just for cathartic release, maybe with a big "F you Hazel", but other comments have implied that actually turned out to be really depressing too.

They’ve been a huge downer for me as well. I was bullied and ostracized at school, so this is striking way closer to home than I’m comfortable with. I’m sticking with it out of the hope that there’s going to be a cathartic payoff at the end, and also with the knowledge that if I put it down now, there’s a good chance I just won’t pick it back up again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 111

I honestly think the current set of chapters are some of the worst placed ones Sleyca has done so far. That is twice now she has introduced some interesting hook and then brought the story's momentum to a screeching halt to go to flashback town (Lute and Boe).

I don't like flashbacks in general anyway, but this is especially bad plotting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Lute chapters because they give us more insight into Anesidoran/Velra culture (and I just kind of like Lute as a character).

It's also kind of a nice alternative to the more common web serial structure, where almost every single chapter has a hook/cliffhanger to keep you reading. Feels more relaxing this way. It's fun to just kick back with a coffee or something when the chapters are released and read them, without dealing with the constant tension and "page-turner" elements common to most other serials.

Judging from the comments, these chapters seem to have a better reception than the Boe arc. I'm guessing this is at least partly because Lute's story more directly ties into Alden's current situation and integrates a lot of the supporting cast.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I like the Lute chapters because they give us more insight into Anesidoran/Velra culture (and I just kind of like Lute as a character).

It's also kind of a nice alternative to the more common web serial structure, where almost every single chapter has a hook/cliffhanger to keep you reading. Feels more relaxing this way. It's fun to just kick back with a coffee or something when the chapters are released and read them, without dealing with the constant tension and "page-turner" elements common to most other serials.

Judging from the comments, these chapters seem to have a better reception than the Boe arc. I'm guessing this is at least partly because Lute's story more directly ties into Alden's current situation and integrates a lot of the supporting cast.

To be clear, I feel much differently about the Boe arc than I do about the (SupSup 111) Lute chapters. They are, as you note, more relevant to the worldbuilding and current situation. I just feel like they're trying to be their own separate story with a completely different tone inside of SupSup and it doesn't really fit. It's three (lengthy) chapters, 26k words so far, and doesn't seem to be over; Sleyca did note "I think bottling up Velra tales in my head for months made them grow" and that feels like exactly the issue here, to me. They feel bloated; I like Lute just fine but I feel like all the relevant stuff could have been handled in one or maybe two chapters. Especially since this isn't Worm and I feel like a lot of readers enjoying a relatively cute slice of life story are going to be turned off by what might end up being half a novel worth of childhood bullying. And it started right after a big bombshell cliffhanger and has had that whole story arc on hold.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 5, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

To be clear, I feel much differently about the Boe arc than I do about the Lute chapters. They are, as you note, more relevant to the worldbuilding and current situation. I just feel like they're trying to be their own separate story with a completely different tone inside of SupSup and it doesn't really fit. It's three (lengthy) chapters, 26k words so far, and doesn't seem to be over; Sleyca did note "I think bottling up Velra tales in my head for months made them grow" and that feels like exactly the issue here, to me. They feel bloated; I like Lute just fine but I feel like all the relevant stuff could have been handled in one or maybe two chapters. Especially since this isn't Worm and I feel like a lot of readers enjoying a relatively cute slice of life story are going to be turned off by what might end up being half a novel worth of childhood bullying. And it started right after a big bombshell cliffhanger and has had that whole story arc on hold.

I agree that it might have worked better maybe split up as interludes or something, though I think there isn't a clear best option here, since I do think all the information from these chapters is important (and it would be even more frustrating to me if we stopped part-way through the Lute flashback without finishing it).

It could probably have been trimmed down to two chapters, though. Less detail about Lute's elementary school years probably wouldn't have lost much. We didn't necessarily need the full depiction of the gradual transition in classmate attitudes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 111

Like, I want to be clear. I don't have an issue with these Lute chapters in and of themselves. They are well-written and give good context to the kid. But they are terribly placed. These could have been interspersed over the course of 20-30 chapters, as we get more and more insight into the guy with a conclusion that coincides with his mother's reveal as Alden goes to check on the boater. Mind you that would have required some reworking to avoid revealing how she looks until then, but it hasn't come up too much in the Lute flashbacks and could be worked around until the final flashback.

Then you would have had a nice intertwining of the past and present plots coming together all at the perfect moment. I realize something like this is harder to pull off with serial stories like Royal Road stuff rather than as a whole novel published at once.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok can someone PLEASE explain to me how Alden’s magic works? And magic in general in Super Supportive? I’ve read along and just kinda picked some stuff up as I’ve gone, and I get avowed powers, but what did Alden do with Joe and Kibby that made him do different and such a big deal? Like, he has the magic bracelet which I don’t understand and he has Authority which I don’t understand and it hurts or was hurting him for reasons I don’t understand and he’s supposed to say no to new powers from the system (but only up to a certain point), and there’s whatever happened between him and the prisoner alien at the embassy and I just don’t get it.

I’m enjoying the story but I feel like I’m missing big chunks because I don’t understand how the magic system works.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

navyjack posted:

Ok can someone PLEASE explain to me how Alden’s magic works? And magic in general in Super Supportive? I’ve read along and just kinda picked some stuff up as I’ve gone, and I get avowed powers, but what did Alden do with Joe and Kibby that made him do different and such a big deal? Like, he has the magic bracelet which I don’t understand and he has Authority which I don’t understand and it hurts or was hurting him for reasons I don’t understand and he’s supposed to say no to new powers from the system (but only up to a certain point), and there’s whatever happened between him and the prisoner alien at the embassy and I just don’t get it.

I’m enjoying the story but I feel like I’m missing big chunks because I don’t understand how the magic system works.

well. while he was on Moon Thegund being sandblasted by chaos, he became aware of <<himself>> as a unique existence within reality. Becoming aware of yourself in that way is probably what the Human Dominators, or whatever they’re called, are translating as ‘my spot’? It works. You gain awareness of yourself as an entity beyond the physical, and in doing so you come to understand that you both have and are authority. You learn to direct your authority to effect changes in reality—aka doing magic. In the process of doing so, you can grow the strength of your authority and expand it beyond your initial ‘spot’, gaining <<presence>> and the power to do more magic.

basically everyone everywhere has some amount of magic-power, ranging from none to lots. artonans and gordon's people have the ability to sense this magic and do stuff with it; other races don't, by default, but artonans made a big spell (on every planet they colonize) that gives people access to their own power in prescribed ways. alden spent ages in an environment which was grinding on his magic, with a kid who was practicing poking him in the magic, so eventually he learned to sense and control it himself.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 5, 2023

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Sentient beings have Authority. They exist as more than material creatures and that Authority can be used to exert their will upon existence. Artorans have an instinctive sense and control of their Authority and so can use it to do magic. Humans can also have Authority, but have no natural way to sense or use it, so it is useless to them. Artorans developed a way to mutilate and bind other people's Authority so that people who can't sense their Authority can use it. This is what happens to all the human superheros. They weren't given magic powers by the system. Instead their inherent ability to do magic was forced into a certain form that they had access to.

When Gorgon drank Alden's blood, Gorgon (among other things) improved Alden's inherent Authority. Alden's Authority is more resistant to chaos and more controllable than most teenagers. That wouldn't normally matter, because Alden is human and can't sense or control his own Authority. However when he was stuck on Moon Thegund the combination of training with Kibby and the constant pressure of chaos helped Alden to develop his own Authority sense. So now Alden can use the Authority that was bound in his skill and can cast spells using his unbound Authority.

Which is neat! Also neat is that his awareness of his Authority, and of the struggle between his unbound and bound Authority means his Authority will grow much faster than other peoples.

Less neat is that Authority hates being bound and if the unbound Authority gets strong enough it will tear the binding apart, which either kills you or turns you into a chaos generating monster. So as Alden gets stronger he will need to regularly affix his Authority into his skill or he will die. Also now that he can sense his Authority, the process of binding it is intensely painful.

So Alden wants to delay his affixation because
A) His Authority develops faster when he has more free authority
B) He needs free authority to cast his spells and he likes doing that
C) Getting affixed loving sucks and he wants to put it off as soon as possible.

Does that help?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kibby booped Alden's face enough that he realized he could see his nose. This gave him access to nose-based magic, at the terrible cost of always being aware that he can see his nose.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Web serials: magic, at the terrible cost of always being aware.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Alden may have also developed a proto-authority sense immediately after Gorgon performed the Rite with him by eating some of his blood, or may already have had one from the start. A couple of reasons:

When Alden was first chosen by the Earth System he felt it. Though it wasn't painful yet.

"Ch 12 One O'Clock on a Thurs" posted:

"He suddenly felt a jolt.
It was a brief, painless full-body spasm. Like a hypnic jerk"

Which was when the System first did a small affixation to him allow him to interact with it without the use of tech or magicraft.

Alden has also been aware of himself uniquely during every teleport, something no one other than Boe has commented on (if his taking a break skill works the same way).

The Primary and Alis both noted he seemed to be unusually aware of The Primary exploring his authority at the party, which they did not expect at all. From Alden's perspective he was absolutely aware of the intense <<presence>> that The Primary exuded.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

navyjack posted:

Alright, so others have done a good job of explaining what's up with authority and Alden's ability to sense it.

Delaying affixing: Alden's skill is special because it never maxes out; most superheroes collect a variety of skills and stats and use them, but Alden has been told he might be better off just putting almost everything into his one skill since it will never stop getting stronger. But normally you can't increase an existing skill as a level up reward, so (in addition to other benefits of waiting to affix) he's been told to hold off on leveling until he can dump the accumulated xp authority into his skill.

The bracelet (auriad) and magic: So Alden has an authority sense like a wizard, but he still has to learn spells. And most Artonan spells won't work for humans* because they're reliant on Artonans' racial ability to think about two things at once. But some Artonans use a spellcasting tool called an auriad, which is basically a specially prepared thread that has been soaked in the caster's authority, and those spells don't require the thinking about two things at once so Alden can cast them. But even having a bonded auriad shows he has an authority sense, and while that isn't illegal for a human certain factions of Artonans are afraid of the other races becoming too powerful and thus would be terrified if they found out Alden was learning to be a wizard. And they could potentially summon him into dangerous situations until he "tragically" dies, not to mention the humans would be uncomfortably interested in a human wizard, so Alden has decided wisely to keep the auriad super secret for now.

*Some of the simple ones that are done with just hand gestures can be learned by a human with sufficient authority who puts in the effort, like Alden's candle lighting spell.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I think there's also an element of Artonan society which would be horrified, knowing what he's going through. On top of that there's the issue of "we're locking these people into affixations when there's a chance they could have been trained to use their authority and we're taking that away from them," which is a whole nother can of worms. As long as there are no human wizards, there's no moral issue there.

Joe is one of the ones who would be horrified.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Alden may have also developed a proto-authority sense immediately after Gorgon performed the Rite with him by eating some of his blood, or may already have had one from the start. A couple of reasons:

When Alden was first chosen by the Earth System he felt it. Though it wasn't painful yet.

Which was when the System first did a small affixation to him allow him to interact with it without the use of tech or magicraft.

Alden has also been aware of himself uniquely during every teleport, something no one other than Boe has commented on (if his taking a break skill works the same way).

The Primary and Alis both noted he seemed to be unusually aware of The Primary exploring his authority at the party, which they did not expect at all. From Alden's perspective he was absolutely aware of the intense <<presence>> that The Primary exuded.

Nettle Soup posted:

I think there's also an element of Artonan society which would be horrified, knowing what he's going through. On top of that there's the issue of "we're locking these people into affixations when there's a chance they could have been trained to use their authority and we're taking that away from them," which is a whole nother can of worms. As long as there are no human wizards, there's no moral issue there.

Agreed, I think part of what was unique on the moon was that Kibby was willing to teach him, the chaos wasn't strictly necessary but without it he wouldn't have had any unbound authority so soon after being Afixed and therefore couldn't practice.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah, Alden was told straight up that some Artonans would be incredibly pleased if they found out he was learning magic, and others would mostly just be curious or not care. I think the story does a good job of showing that it's as useless to try to apply terms like "evil" or "good" or "cruel" to Artonans as a whole as it would be to humans as a whole. It's just that the summoning system makes it disturbingly possible for a minority group to get him killed.

Alden did have a choice, of a sort, so I think if most Artonans knew they'd probably regard him as similar to the knights, someone who made the choice to endure the suffering for power.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Brain Candy posted:

Agreed, I think part of what was unique on the moon was that Kibby was willing to teach him, the chaos wasn't strictly necessary but without it he wouldn't have had any unbound authority so soon after being Afixed and therefore couldn't practice.

If we're going back to the nose analogy, the chaos was like having a big wart on the end of his nose, forcing him to constantly look at it. Without it there he didn't know how to cross his eyes, and wouldn't have ever been aware of his nose. Without the chaos, he wouldn't have been able to be taught.

Now he's out of the chaos, the wart is gone, but he's finally learnt to cross his eyes.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Super Supportive's magic draws from a lot of well-established conventions.

You got the magical girl trope of contracts and "death or worse" if there's too much unchecked power. (And the distinct possibility that that (or the use of magic itself) might be the source of the demons.)
You got wizardry with hand gestures and reciting spells in chaining and auriad and well as spell impressions magic.
Volatile alchemy from weird-rear end ingredients and monster parts.
Comic book / RPG style superheroes with enhanced / numerical physical and mental attributes (and a somewhat gross attractiveness score).
Manifestation / aspirational thought (willing it into existence) both as the underlying "authority", the source and measure of the ability to effect magic, and in the "it works [to some extent] in the way you believe it works" logic that has perception (one object or two?) and metaphor (machine or origami?) affect the powers.
Pact / sacrificial magic, both in the blood sacrifice to Gorgon and in the binding of authority by the contract. EDIT: And the knight's sacrifice.

These many different approaches, in particular "how you think about it changes how it works" and the occasional "huh, we didn't know that was even possible" make me think that it's quite deliberate that there's tons of room for interpretation and speculation on the reader's part. Like the characters in the story, we don't have an authoritative answer to how a lot of this poo poo works, other than "here's what we have seen so far".

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Great Thresholder chapter (79) today discussing the ethics of shooting a baby. Honestly if one comes through a portal, I say go hog wild, but it looks like Perry might be opposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

I think the chaos actually *was* strictly necessary, and it's only through the combination of the two that Alden was able to learn to feel his authority.

The chaos was very important because it was a constant, ceaseless thing "roughly touching" his authority 24/7. If anything, it was probably a little more important overall, though both elements (the chaos and Kibby's teaching) were necessary.

I think Mother may have even explicitly said this (plus the fact that the specific amount of chaos was also ideal), but I could be misremembering.