Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

sleepy gary posted:

Oh my god I thought it was 12:1 I need to make some phone calls, poo poo poo poo poo poo

gramgram's kickass death drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

sleepy gary posted:

Oh my god I thought it was 12:1 I need to make some phone calls, poo poo poo poo poo poo

Quick question: have you ever made a zipline?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

peanut posted:

We need to add a slope to the side door on grandpa's house. Please share success and horror stories of home modifications for wheelchair and accessible use.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Picture 4 infirm grandparents in wheelchairs perched on the rim of a halfpipe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is what they’ve taken from you.

The Lally family is happy with their ramp but requests that skateboarders stop riding down it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 30, 2023

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

at that point isn't it cheaper to just punch a hole into the basement?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

corgski posted:

at that point isn't it cheaper to just punch a hole into the basement?

Often times these ramps are installed for like six months to a year then the person dies and the ramp gets ripped out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s not even hardly “installed,” you can literally rent ramps by the month. That pic look exactly like those temporary metal ones. otoh there does seem to be some kind of gravel base so who knows

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

My GC posted:

Today when I pulled the railing and subfloor for the oven wiring/microwave ducting, I saw just about every wire to the kitchen taped and wire nutted illegally with no j-box.

I went over to take a few pictures. Basically this in seemingly every other joist bay:

(x-posting from home zone)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

But you must have had training to get the job, right? Right?

My first job was at a place called Maplin Electronics, kind of a UK Radio Shack, and it was the same in there. People asking me questions about things I didn't even know existed 2 seconds earlier.

I worked in Dixons. I was in the stock room just moving boxes and got "promoted" to shop floor when it turned out I knew more than the other teen they'd hired for that and they moved him to the basement instead.

I said it somewhere else but I cannot stress enough how unprofessional a workplace that was.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

This is what they’ve taken from you.

The Lally family is happy with their ramp but requests that skateboarders stop riding down it.

Just teach grandpa to grind what's the big deal.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Often times these ramps are installed for like six months to a year then the person dies and the ramp gets ripped out.
Made a thousand bucks selling a ramp that was installed on the house we bought that was 6 feet long and 6 inches high. I can't imagine the cost of that pictured monstrosity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

Made a thousand bucks selling a ramp that was installed on the house we bought that was 6 feet long and 6 inches high. I can't imagine the cost of that pictured monstrosity.

Forty thousand pounds sterling.

It was made for a girl who was eight years old in 2014, and it was still in use by her as of 2019.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

They should have just lowered the house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My question is about the electrical cord, where is it going and what is it powering?

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

There's a new take on water-cooling.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

At first I thought "Brilliant" then I considered that it's a box of razor sharp soon to be rusty metal.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Nitrox posted:

My question is about the electrical cord, where is it going and what is it powering?

The shower pan heater.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nitrox posted:

The shower head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjA0aee07k

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

peanut posted:

We need to add a slope to the side door on grandpa's house. Please share success and horror stories of home modifications for wheelchair and accessible use.

My grandmother had an access ramp at her home that was several feet high, enough to need multiple switchbacks, but I guess the builder deemed those too expensive, so they just built two very steep runs. The wooden decking surface became covered with algae due to being in a woody shaded lot. After my grandmother fell, broke her arm, and was stranded for hours, the person who built the ramp nailed two rows of asphalt shingles along the center of the ramp, an ingenious solution that made accessing the front door as simple as traversing a roof.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

kreeningsons posted:

My grandmother had an access ramp at her home that was several feet high, enough to need multiple switchbacks, but I guess the builder deemed those too expensive, so they just built two very steep runs. The wooden decking surface became covered with algae due to being in a woody shaded lot. After my grandmother fell, broke her arm, and was stranded for hours, the person who built the ramp nailed two rows of asphalt shingles along the center of the ramp, an ingenious solution that made accessing the front door as simple as traversing a roof.

How’s the investigation for the missing builder going?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

When I was 17 I worked a summer in a locally owned hardware store, and the number of people walking in thinking a 17 year old knew ANYTHING about home construction/repair was shockingly high.
I had the opposite experience - I basically grew up in our family-owned hardware store, and my dad had been teaching me pretty much everything about everything related since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver without stabbing my own eye out. I started working afternoons and weekends there after I entered high school. The number of people who would come in, see the 14-year-old kid working Plumbing or Electrical, and immediately ask for "someone who knows what they're doing" was... enormous. Never mind that aside from a couple of people who had been there longer than I'd been alive, I had more years of training behind me than most adults who ever came and went as employees.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I would do that at the parts store

Girl that worked with me knew Chevy 350s in and out but people would refuse to go to her line

Even if I knew a more basic answer I'd turn to her and ask the question

Lot of people would get mad that I didn't know as much as a mechanic and it was like duh, if I did I'd be a mechanic and make more money

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would make the mistake of wearing a bright orange T-shirt to Home Depot.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PainterofCrap posted:

I would make the mistake of wearing a bright orange T-shirt to Home Depot.

I've worn blue shirts at princess auto before and had people ask me where stuff is.

I've been tempted to tell people to gently caress off when that happens so I can watch them ask for the manager, have them meltdown point me out and the manager tells them "that guy doesn't work here", but I'm too nice for that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah me too. I gave up explaining that i don't work there, and would usually send them off to the correct spot or answer their application/tool question. :shrug:

I an rear end in a top hat by nature, 24/7, but not all in a row.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

I've worn blue shirts at princess auto before and had people ask me where stuff is.

I've been tempted to tell people to gently caress off when that happens so I can watch them ask for the manager, have them meltdown point me out and the manager tells them "that guy doesn't work here", but I'm too nice for that.

Lol I just wave them along and have them follow me while I shop and see how long it takes before they stop following me :twisted:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Outing myself as a lanyard but never wear one of these around your neck to the Verizon store Best Buy, or any tech store, also

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

https://youtu.be/wrJ6_GAprFE?feature=shared

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DrBouvenstein posted:

When I was 17 I worked a summer in a locally owned hardware store, and the number of people walking in thinking a 17 year old knew ANYTHING about home construction/repair was shockingly high.

My boss told me to point to the most expensive item; if the customer asked me how or why I knew to recommend that brand I was to say my mum or my dad (depending on what it was) always used it.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I was expecting this:
https://youtu.be/KgUIbPfhSuo?si=80V34BQS55qsa7pX

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I am looking forward to this concrete pour.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7307413454804061482

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Please tell me that she ain't gonna be down there when the tomb tunnel pour happens

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

You surely can’t diy that right, so the pump crew is gonna get there, look at that and go sure seems fine?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Please tell me that she ain't gonna be down there when the tomb tunnel pour happens

She mentioned something about setting up cameras. But if all posting from that account stops, you have your answer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Colin Furze did a very similar thing, except they poured from the top through a pipe. It worked out great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RVLim5tVwU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

the yeti posted:

You surely can’t diy that right, so the pump crew is gonna get there, look at that and go sure seems fine?

lol nah, the ask where it goes and make it happen. they're not engineers. "not my job" is a joke around here but that would 100% not their job.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Platystemon posted:

I am looking forward to this concrete pour.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7307413454804061482
Does anyone know what her deal is? I cannot tell if or when she is joking about anything or how concerned I should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Scarodactyl posted:

Does anyone know what her deal is? I cannot tell if or when she is joking about anything or how concerned I should be.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect