Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nobara coming back would make sense only if keeping her status obfuscated made sense. Like say they realize that her tech can hit sukuna directly in the event that he hijacked Itadori's body, in this case making her appear dead to Itadori would make sense since it would keep Sukuna in the dark. But that sort of went out of the window when he swapped bodies.

Whenever I look around I do find Nobara fans huffing on that, but it was never even on the table since the Chekov's Gun in this regard has been telegraphed to be Maki with her Split Soul Katana.

This is also the reason I suspect she's been kept in the background (other than showing she tanked Uraume's CT like a boss). Gege did the same with Takaba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

Maki rules and I wouldn’t be surprised if the game plan atm is “wear Sukuna down and have Maki turn him into Swiss cheese”

It would be pretty sick if we got a reversal on Toji vs. Gojo.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

everything with maki is cool, and the series lived up to everything she was built up to be.

maybe the 'issues' surrounding itadori and nobara come from them being more editorial inserts than maki was? we know the whole thing being in a school wasn't something gege wanted to do (and he moved away from it pretty quick lol)

though I really cant see why you'd do all this "is she dead? is she??" wink nudge stuff if she was..just dead. Or in a coma or whatever. Unless the scene Itadori asks about her and Fushigoro replies negatively is meant to be the confirmation?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

She got offscreened for a couple years so the editor could finally OK her death.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
There was a weird exchange between Yuji and Fushiguro about being afraid Hana could become a "replacement Nobara".

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

On the one hand, I think how Nobara was handled will always be a low point for JJK, even if she comes back and especially taken with the treatment of (mainly Yuki in my mind honestly, Maki's awesome), and yeah, it feels kind of ? to set up expectations that she might survive and then never give any closure whatsoever to that moment.

on the other, I feel like there are also a lot of cases where manga show the result of having a serialized form of media where the creator really has no guarantee that they'll be able to do a fully planned out story and it's not always simple to plot out the path from point A to B in the narrative. In this sense Attack on Titan felt pretty tightly plotted, but I think One Piece is a good example where it's clear Oda has had many ideas ready since pretty early on, but at the same time the greater story feels (to me, I'm still 50-100 chapters behind tho) tight up until the timeskip and then every arc becomes a lot more meandering and ponderous, because maybe he didn't have the second half as graphed out or something.

JJK feels a lot like that to me but on another scale, being 1/5th the length of OP. Shibuya felt like somewhere Gege knew he wanted to go from day 1 and clearly Kenjaku as antag was set up from very early, but maybe he wasn't sure how he wanted to navigate to Kenjaku's endgame after that. The Culling Games feel a lot more experimental and "this is the author freestyling as they go" narrative-wise.

all this to say, maybe Gege wasn't 100% sure what he wanted to do with her as a character after Shibuya. It wouldn't really surprise me if the initial thought was something like: later on I pull out her technique in a clutch moment against Sukuna when everyone is super sure she's dead, but now we're years and years beyond that and it doesn't feel like the right plot beat anymore.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Char posted:

There was a weird exchange between Yuji and Fushiguro about being afraid Hana could become a "replacement Nobara".

That was showing how Yuji hasn't had time to grieve Nobara (or anyone else for that matter) so he's being weird about her loss, and he knows it's weird and he's told it's weird and that they don't have time for that either.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still believe you need some real chops to pull off "Okay like 80% of the cast is gone, love all these new guys", and Gege didn't quite have the chops for it.

I was invested in the main crew and some of the ancillary characters. They mostly got compromised to a permanent end, or put on the shelf for so long it kinda doesn't matter to me anymore. I'm sure we'll all be "Oh we're SO back" whenever Nobara probably comes back but really? She's been gone for so long that even having her completely ruin Sukuna/Kenjaku's plans would kinda just fall a bit flat to me. Nobara beating dudes up is as fun as any of the main cast beating people up, but the thing that made me like the character was how she bounced off the rest of the cast.

At least Maki has gotten to do cool stuff I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing that it takes me a bit to grasp is that the Culling Games has been (more or less) half of the entire loving series at this point, which may be part of why I feel so negatively towards it. It's insane how long it has been around vs how relatively little seems to have happened until the very end compared to the first part up to the Shibuya Incident.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Earlier we had someone arguing her getting scars was Gege removing her femininity.

Not sure if this is referring to my complaint when her new design was revealed but it was not complaining about that, but more complaining that the female cast was getting decimated + maimed while the male cast continues to look like a bunch of twinks. Justifiable complaint given what has happened to all the female characters since :v:

It'll be nice if Maki is part of the end game.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that it takes me a bit to grasp is that the Culling Games has been (more or less) half of the entire loving series at this point, which may be part of why I feel so negatively towards it. It's insane how long it has been around vs how relatively little seems to have happened until the very end compared to the first part up to the Shibuya Incident.
I have to remind myself that the 4th Ninja War is 1/3rd of Naruto.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shibuya doubled the size of the manga and now the culling game has doubled the size of the manga. Its some real bloat and I think Shibuya was earned but CG being this long is definitely not.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jerkface posted:

Not sure if this is referring to my complaint when her new design was revealed but it was not complaining about that, but more complaining that the female cast was getting decimated + maimed while the male cast continues to look like a bunch of twinks. Justifiable complaint given what has happened to all the female characters since :v:

It'll be nice if Maki is part of the end game.

No someone else stated that in order be strong she had to "become a a male character". And all that's changed about her as a person is that she's more butch. I can go hunt down to post when I'm not at work but it was in the middle of a long 10 paragraph post about it.

And of course that quote posted where they literally said she was a man now because she got a short hair cut and then edited it to be slightly less obvious about it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One thing probably not helping the new guys is that most of them are now gone too I think all that's left is Takaba, Hakari, and Higuruma and his chance of survival is looking real low right now

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sukuna knows better than anyone that you have to cut off a jujutsu sorcerer's head/destroy their brain in order to truly kill them. He only cut Gojo in half because he kinda wants to see if Gojo's good enough to put himself back together again and power up even further to keep the fight going :smuggo:

But seriously, I don't think he's quite dead yet. He's only mostly dead, as opposed to all dead and the airport chapter did imply that he had a decision to make before heading off into the afterlife. I think he's got One Last Badass Moment left in him, kinda like Kamina in Gurren Lagann, but then it's lights out for good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gojo using the last of his energy to keep himself alive long enough to see Yuji beat the poo poo out of Sukuna.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Genuinely why are you people so loving weird about Maki in this thread. Earlier we had someone arguing her getting scars was Gege removing her femininity. Please God be normal about women.

Legit the third time someone in this thread has said she had to become a male character because she got a short haircut.

Saying that Maki hasn't had much of a role recently or that she got Toji's haircut isn't really comparable to a weird screed about femininity though? Like, I don't even agree because Maki has been a character that's been kept in the loop since the whole Gojo fight, but I can see where that comes from.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

One thing probably not helping the new guys is that most of them are now gone too I think all that's left is Takaba, Hakari, and Higuruma and his chance of survival is looking real low right now

Uro is still alive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Saying that Maki hasn't had much of a role recently or that she got Toji's haircut isn't really comparable to a weird screed about femininity though?
They literally said she got that haircut because gege clearly wanted to write just men characters.then edited out just the last part so it was just implying that instead of outright saying that

Like the post you quoted has the full quote that they edited as I posted.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
This is maybe being overly generous but I think there's a slight difference between "Maki became a man because she cut her hair" and "Maki became a specific man (Toji)"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mycot posted:

This is maybe being overly generous but I think there's a slight difference between "Maki became a man because she cut her hair" and "Maki became a specific man (Toji)"

Well if they had said that maybe you could look it at that way. You shouldn't but still they didn't say that. They she was a man because she got his hair cut, not because she was thematically linked to toji. Like it had nothing to do with writing the loser said "He gave her that haircut cause he just wanted to draw dudes".

You don't have to hunt for some excuse by adding in words to what was said.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 1, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought the older post you're referencing mentioned becoming Toji but tbh I can't be arsed to check

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Tosk posted:

Gege wasn't 100% sure what he wanted to do

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mycot posted:

I thought the older post you're referencing mentioned becoming Toji but tbh I can't be arsed to check

I mean that's still a stupid argument because nothing about Toji is really defined by his masculinity especially nothing that Maki has that overlaps with him (Their powers and the fact that they also hate the rear end in a top hat family a subset of the cast comes from and also hates). Trying to use that thematic link to say it's an example of the writer failing a female character because it "turns her into a male character" even as a specific male character is dumb. Especially since they're very much still different people.with different motivations and goals and personalities

And it still reeks of some loser being mad she's a little more butch now.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Isn't Sukuna still missing one of his fingers?I think Gojo mentioned he had discovered one at some point, and I'm thinking it's gonna somehow be key in defeating Sukuna. Maybe Nobara uses it to hammer his soul, or Yuji eats it to get a power up.

I have to think up stuff like this because even with full chapters planning and rules lawyering (this time literally!) techniques and situations, they are still missing a big breakthrough to actually win.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Tosk posted:

all this to say, maybe Gege wasn't 100% sure what he wanted to do with her as a character after Shibuya. It wouldn't really surprise me if the initial thought was something like: later on I pull out her technique in a clutch moment against Sukuna when everyone is super sure she's dead, but now we're years and years beyond that and it doesn't feel like the right plot beat anymore.

It feels like he wasn't sure about what to do with a large part of the cast.

For instance, during the Goodwill event we're shown Kamo as a Somewhat Serious Deal and Todo as a Big Deal. Later, in Shibuya, Mei Mei and Kusakabe, too.
In the latest chapter, Kamo goes straight to the point: he's outclassed and there's no point in him being there anymore. Kusakabe doubles down: either you have a deathwish, can use RCT, or you can only offer support.

Hakari and Yuta are complete monsters compared to the other students; Maki got to monster status through a specific personal ordeal and was marked for heavenly restriction anyway; anyone else we got to know until Shibuya was fundamentally unable to do anything in the current scenario. Panda, Inumaki, Kirara, Ino, they're all there in the classroom shot; only Yuji, Higuruma, Yuta, Hakari and Maki (well, Takaba and Gojo too) would've been going to see action.

IMHO this kinda checks out with editors wanting a more canonical story and Gege going off the rails as soon as he could.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I ultimately don't think we needed the sumo wrestler or the blind swordsman because Gege could have just said that after Mai passed away freeing up Maki's side of the heavenly restriction, she fully awakened to the same kind of power that Toji had. On top of having a round 2 with Naoya, who is himself incredibly bland as an antagonist it made the 5 or so chapters of Kamo and Maki fighting him a slog even on the re-read. Just have maki's mother be an incredibly weak sorceror but still capable of using cursed energy and move on. She already demonstrated crazy perception by noticing how many movements a guy is making within the span of a single second I could have assumed she could read the flow of the air and poo poo later on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Uro is still alive.

Thought she got sliced up with Ryu, but I guess she got the hell out there when Sukuna dropped down.

Brought To You By posted:

I ultimately don't think we needed the sumo wrestler or the blind swordsman

wrong

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maki will be fine so long as Yuta breathes because Panda told her she still has a chance and who in this fuckin thread wants to be stupid enough to challenge Panda?

I wish Panda would be my wingman.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thought she got sliced up with Ryu, but I guess she got the hell out there when Sukuna dropped down.

Yeah she actually knows Sukuna so unlike Ryu didn't go and confront him.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I ultimately don't think we needed the sumo wrestler or the blind swordsman

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I ultimately don't think we needed the sumo wrestler or the blind swordsman because Gege could have just said that after Mai passed away freeing up Maki's side of the heavenly restriction, she fully awakened to the same kind of power that Toji had. On top of having a round 2 with Naoya, who is himself incredibly bland as an antagonist it made the 5 or so chapters of Kamo and Maki fighting him a slog even on the re-read. Just have maki's mother be an incredibly weak sorceror but still capable of using cursed energy and move on. She already demonstrated crazy perception by noticing how many movements a guy is making within the span of a single second I could have assumed she could read the flow of the air and poo poo later on.

You say Naoya is bland, but he weirdly enough ranked really high in the popularity polls, so I don't think the reader's agree with you.

I personally really liked he came back for round 2, it really gave Maki the chance to crush that little shitheel and grind him under her boot. He's just so great at being awful on every level, he really works as an antagonist for me because at no point are you ever going to think he has a good point or is likable.

But also you're just plain wrong about the sumo and sword guy, they were such great additions and i want more of them.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Asuron posted:

But also you're just plain wrong about the sumo and sword guy

who?? literally don't know them

wish that old fucker who had a guitar for two secs would come back

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pootybutt posted:

who?? literally don't know them

wish that old fucker who had a guitar for two secs would come back

He did he was helping Gojo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also TCB for new chapter.
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7557/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-244?date=1-12-2023-16

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I edited my post after I realized it would come off as weird and sexist, not my intention. Gege clearly really liked Toji and probably regrets writing him off so soon so it sometimes feels like he’s using Maki as a substitute. Her awakening was literally accompanied by a line comparing her to Toji, not to mention the multiple side-by-side panels of the two.

It was a joke in bad taste. Maki is actually my favourite character in the series, I even bought a bootleg weeb shirt with her on it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

honestly one of the funniest chapters of a manga I've read

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

You say Naoya is bland, but he weirdly enough ranked really high in the popularity polls, so I don't think the reader's agree with you.
I am very confident in saying that Naoya's popularity is probably more informed by the fact that he's attractive, has an open mancrush on Toji who is also attractive. He seems the kind of character the slash-fiction community eats up. Because beyond his bad boy attitude he lacks the charisma someone like his father had and I honestly only really liked Naoya when he fought against Choso because there was a more interesting story beat for Choso there regarding family and brotherhood. Which also feeds into the major flaws within the Zennin family hierarchy.

quote:

I personally really liked he came back for round 2, it really gave Maki the chance to crush that little shitheel and grind him under her boot. He's just so great at being awful on every level, he really works as an antagonist for me because at no point are you ever going to think he has a good point or is likable.

Personally I didn't need him to get beat down a 2nd time because being stabbed to death by Maki's mother was the perfect capstone to his pathetic existence to the incredibly toxic environment the Zennin family fostered.

quote:

But also you're just plain wrong about the sumo and sword guy, they were such great additions and i want more of them.
But that's the problem, they would only show up to provide reactions because there's literally nothing else they can contribute to the plot at this point. Swordsman just dies and Sumo's only power would leave him to get killed 1v1 against Sukuna or even Kenjaku. They just sprang out of the aether so that Maki could overcome a problem I'll say again, didn't need to exist. I'd rather she is introduced as this uber powerful entity in her fight with Yuji against Sukuna and maybe she dodges one of those weakened attacks and comments on how she perceived something weird about Dismantle/Cleave. You know, set her up as someone that could credibly take on Sukuna like how a Toji took on Gojo. Even if the excuse could also be that Megumi weakening Sukuna's attacks slowed them down even a fraction of a microsecond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

in retrospect, the only bad thing about Naoyas return is his implication about "getting adult with mai"