Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

my main problem with jak ii is that it's more hard than fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope the PC port means people get to gently caress around and tweak some of the bs hard points also

i'm still half positive the metal head turret section is actually impossible on hero mode

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the pc port already has support for custom levels so presumably that means you have enough of a measure of control over the game that you could just decompile it yourself and gently caress around with the existing levels and hp values and such

i'm curious how long development on jak 3 will take since from what they've said the engines seem much closer between it and jak ii than between jak ii and jak & daxter, where ii adds enough stuff on top that it took a whole lot of extra work

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

there was a part around 3/4 in where you’re running from the city guard that killed me every half-dozen steps, outrageous stuff

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Black Stones posted:

Found out I’m getting a bunch of money. Finish paying off my bills, put bunch into savings for house, and then I’m going to look at putting a down payment on a new car.
Congrats :toot:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wFRIWFraWQ

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

there was a part around 3/4 in where you’re running from the city guard that killed me every half-dozen steps, outrageous stuff

was it when you get dark bomb over in the water houses bit and they just snipe you across all the docks?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Bouncer gets pretty loving intense too

Bouncer makes Japan look like a Latin American country in brutality

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Found out I’m getting a bunch of money. Finish paying off my bills, put bunch into savings for house, and then I’m going to look at putting a down payment on a new car.
nice. thanks in advance for sharing your money with the rest of the anime chat thread

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

It definitely has difficulty spikes, but it never felt unfair to me. And as a kid, that probably helped endear the game more to me than jak 3, as it took me a couple of months to beat jak 2, with it feeling like a good lengthy meaty game, but only 4 days to beat jak 3 and that feeling way too easy.

But yeah, to the colonel's point, jak 2 and 3 have way more character than jak 1, and their game play has aged better imo. I still think jak 1 is a fine and fun collectathon platformer, but it really benefited from coming out at the end of the collectathon era and at the start of the PS2 Life cycle, where it got to benefit from being a beautiful looking platformer with a real day/night cycle and a mostly interconnected world without much noticeable load buffers, without too many gimmicks bogging it down.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

also frankly i get why they didn't stick with jak 1 because. have you played jak 1 in the past ten years. there is nothing going on with that game. it's the video game equivalent of lukewarm soup. it goes down pretty easily but it's totally flavorless, not only is the setting and writing kind of bland and interchangeable outside of the funny weird precursor statue voice but, there is absolutely nothing interesting going on with its level design or basic platforming mechanics, it's a game where everything you do has exactly one way of doing it and that way is kinda sorta fun for one playthrough but on repeat visits the game has absolutely nothing new to offer. jak ii is janky as poo poo but it at least has some actual meat to it
I didn't say jak 2 or 3 is bad (3 is actually my favorite gameplay wise). I just have sentimental attachment to the first game - maybe I don't have any good taste

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

pro skub or anti skub?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

also frankly i get why they didn't stick with jak 1 because. have you played jak 1 in the past ten years. there is nothing going on with that game. it's the video game equivalent of lukewarm soup. it goes down pretty easily but it's totally flavorless, not only is the setting and writing kind of bland and interchangeable outside of the funny weird precursor statue voice but, there is absolutely nothing interesting going on with its level design or basic platforming mechanics, it's a game where everything you do has exactly one way of doing it and that way is kinda sorta fun for one playthrough but on repeat visits the game has absolutely nothing new to offer. jak ii is janky as poo poo but it at least has some actual meat to it

I've played through Jak 1 3 or 4 times in the last decade and I've never managed to make it more than an hour into 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've also played jak 1 around three times in the past decade. it's a very easy game for me to spend an afternoon sleep walking through

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

I've played through Jak 1 3 or 4 times in the last decade and I've never managed to make it more than an hour into 2

To be fair, I've literally 100%ed Jak 1 over the course of a single sitting multiple times, it's a very short game if you have any knowledge of how to optimize it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jak & daxter is not a bad game it's just that its entertainment value lies in being the most mindlessly simple platformer ever created where any instance in which the game's difficulty manages to push back at you mostly feels accidental. it's almost too much of a shift away from the insane bullshit of crash, towards a game that is incredibly easy to play but also you have essentially solved most of the game in your mind before you've even cleared it once you understand what to do

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

none of the jak games are particularly good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

homeless snail posted:

nice. thanks in advance for sharing your money with the rest of the anime chat thread

i get my IK salary so i'll generously give up my share

Zodar
May 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

jak ii is not as dark or gritty as you remember or, as it wants you to think. they play up how dark and violent jak is but the game opens with him restoring clean water to the slums and halfway through he literally frees slaves out of the kindness of his heart, and 80% of the writing is just daxter making sex jokes and people having arcs in their relationship with jak that are just them going from "i dont like you jak..." to "you are a good person jak. i am sorry for judging you. i love you."

jak 2 is designed to feel dark & gritty when you are like 11 and you don't have a comparative frame of reference for what those things are. Mature Gaming is when you visit the house of your friend whose parents let him play Vice City and 007: Nightfire even though they have guns and swearing; anything that bears superficial resemblance to games like that is Mature Gaming. i think it hung onto that reputation for 20-odd years because nobody really thought or wrote about Jak 2 during that time

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

homeless snail posted:

I won’t, but when I finally own a home I will have a standing invitation for any ADTRW goon to visit if they’re in the area. Provided they are recently showered.

I’ve only owned Ford cars, so I’m going to upgrade to a Toyota so I can be even more like a weeb. My Ford’s have been okay and never extremely bad, but there’s been so much little crap that goes wrong. Also my car is from 1996 (only has 120k clicks on it though) so a modern vehicle would be cool.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pretty noodle

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The Colonel posted:

jak & daxter is not a bad game it's just that its entertainment value lies in being the most mindlessly simple platformer ever created where any instance in which the game's difficulty manages to push back at you mostly feels accidental. it's almost too much of a shift away from the insane bullshit of crash, towards a game that is incredibly easy to play but also you have essentially solved most of the game in your mind before you've even cleared it once you understand what to do

I remember a few of the vehicle cells were kind of tricky (though it's been a long time so I may be remembering incorrectly), but admittedly it's not really to the game's benefit if the only difficult parts are the weird gimmick levels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zodar posted:

jak 2 is designed to feel dark & gritty when you are like 11 and you don't have a comparative frame of reference for what those things are. Mature Gaming is when you visit the house of your friend whose parents let him play Vice City and 007: Nightfire even though they have guns and swearing; anything that bears superficial resemblance to games like that is Mature Gaming. i think it hung onto that reputation for 20-odd years because nobody really thought or wrote about Jak 2 during that time

And then Naughty Dog kept that mindset of "mature gaming", made The Last of Us and will never make a new game again so long as they can keep remaking and remastering the same two games for all time.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

never played jak. most of my ps2 gaming was madden, 2k, and gran turismo before i built a pc and got hooked on wow.

one hour into vlr and i already think the new artstyle, the rabbit, and hard mode are all mistakes but i'm willing to give it a shot

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

People who didn't have a Nintendo were starving for a Mario, I guess

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Meowywitch posted:

Pretty noodle

wow!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

[Said with dangerously low irony levels] I am watching the new 4 hour hbomberguy video. WHILST playing World Of Warcraft: Classic - Age Of Discovery.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

my stuttering is returning...how odd

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's because you took a shower and washed off the protection from the curse.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i saw a story about an 80 year old homeless guy that hadnt showered in 40 years, and when they finally convinced him to take a shower, he died. think about it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ibram Gaunt posted:

[Said with dangerously low irony levels] I am watching the new 4 hour hbomberguy video. WHILST playing World Of Warcraft: Classic - Age Of Discovery.

i rolled a heal mage and will probably also watch that video while leveling when i decide to do that instead of vlr

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

homeless snail posted:

i saw a story about an 80 year old homeless guy that hadnt showered in 40 years, and when they finally convinced him to take a shower, he died. think about it

that was teh wicked Witch of the west

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have that video in my watch queue and I've already heard he goes hard after Internet Historian so I am very excited

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

tokobot is a nice little game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tales of Berseria loving rules

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

was it when you get dark bomb over in the water houses bit and they just snipe you across all the docks?

i remember a lot of buildings on stilts so this sounds about right

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Southern Cassowary posted:

one hour into vlr and i already think the new artstyle, the rabbit, and hard mode are all mistakes but i'm willing to give it a shot

I personally love VLR, but your mileage may vary depending on how you resonate with the plot, its characters, and its relationship to/comparing it with 999.

I will say "hard mode" stuff doesn't actually matter, it just makes the game not give you character hints to the puzzles, and in return you get extra golden files after clearing the puzzle rooms.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Always felt the Rachet and Clank games have a very legit smart funny script

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

Always felt the Rachet and Clank games have a very legit smart funny script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRC3fbr4mp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MbAEZ9MdmY

These two cutscenes in particular have been stuck in my head for nearly 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://voca.ro/15bp8RTIbOuA