Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

chiasaur11 posted:

I think it's kind of a complicated situation, myself.

All of that is there, and it's done well, so I don't want to insult the manga at all. Falin's a good character, and the story does a good deal of fleshing her relationships with everyone else. However, her role in the story, for the most part, is basically a McGuffin gig. They're going down to rescue her, and we get enough to care more, but most of the time, they could be going down for Laios's lost wallet and the plot would be pretty similar.

So, she's basically one of the best executions of the function, but she's still pulling the same duties. Just showing that it doesn't have to be done poorly.

That's not what a McGuffin is. A McGuffin is a meaningless goal. It's important because the story says it is and there's no other reason to go get or do it or whatever.
We are given ample amount of reason for why Laios wants to rescue her sister - not least of which because of the immediately understandable reason to most people of "she's family". This immediately disqualifies her for McGuffin status to begin with, even ignoring the large amount of characterization given for why every character beyond Senshi (and even Senshi gets one after the first time they revive her,) wants to rescue her.

"A goal to be achieved" does not immediately mean it's a McGuffin, that's just storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

chiasaur11 posted:

I think it's kind of a complicated situation, myself.

All of that is there, and it's done well, so I don't want to insult the manga at all. Falin's a good character, and the story does a good deal of fleshing her relationships with everyone else. However, her role in the story, for the most part, is basically a McGuffin gig. They're going down to rescue her, and we get enough to care more, but most of the time, they could be going down for Laios's lost wallet and the plot would be pretty similar.
Having a hard time imagining the group risking their life (and eating monsters, which both Marcille and Chilchuck aren't jazzed about) for Laois' wallet, among a host of other changes.

Falin isn't a main cast member but I wouldn't reduce her to some easily-replacable goal. She doesn't have a ton of development due to her role in the story, but she has enough that she feels like her own person, and easily inserts into flashbacks and hypothetical party talk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

mdct posted:

That's not what a McGuffin is. A McGuffin is a meaningless goal. It's important because the story says it is and there's no other reason to go get or do it or whatever.
We are given ample amount of reason for why Laios wants to rescue her sister - not least of which because of the immediately understandable reason to most people of "she's family". This immediately disqualifies her for McGuffin status to begin with, even ignoring the large amount of characterization given for why every character beyond Senshi (and even Senshi gets one after the first time they revive her,) wants to rescue her.

"A goal to be achieved" does not immediately mean it's a McGuffin, that's just storytelling.

Except by that metric, there's no such thing as a McGuffin. The Maltese Falcon is worth money, the microfilm in North by Northwest could cause great harm to the government, the X-5 in Beavis and Butthead Do America could kill millions.

A McGuffin isn't meaningless. It's interchangable. The point is that the cast wants it, and get involved in the plot to retrieve it, but something else could matter just as much with minimal changes.

Bad Seafood is right that Falin isn't a McGuffin. Her role in the back half of the plot would disqualify her even if her relationships with the party didn't. But she still is more important to the manga as a goal than as a character.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I don't know why anyone brought up McGuffins when the damsel in distress is right there

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
More like damsel in digestion

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
going to use the MIB flashy light thing on everyone here so they can forget all these terms they learn and make the thread more readable

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Snooze Cruise posted:

going to use the MIB flashy light thing on everyone here so they can forget all these terms they learn and make the thread more readable

really treating us like objects here, snooze

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Does falin pass the bechamel test

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tarezax posted:

I don't know why anyone brought up McGuffins when the damsel in distress is right there

It's always an interesting story where we shift from saving the damsel in distress; to having to violently murder her.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I stopped reading right after Thistle rezzed Marcielle just to let it pile up and binge the ending, im glad I did. Over all a completely wonderful story and Im glad I got a chance to follow it from beginning to end. I wonder if Kyoko Rui has struggled with addiction, or if thats just me projecting onto to story.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I stopped reading right after Thistle rezzed Marcielle just to let it pile up and binge the ending, im glad I did. Over all a completely wonderful story and Im glad I got a chance to follow it from beginning to end. I wonder if Kyoko Rui has struggled with addiction, or if thats just me projecting onto to story.

does baldur's gate count

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
yes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey so I just binged the first 12 volumes of this b/c I got an e-reader over the summer and it's lovely for manga and Uhh where's the rest of it. I know it finished in September. I need. I need the other bits. Kobo said that volume 13 comes out in March and I think I'll die.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

YggiDee posted:

Hey so I just binged the first 12 volumes of this b/c I got an e-reader over the summer and it's lovely for manga and Uhh where's the rest of it. I know it finished in September. I need. I need the other bits. Kobo said that volume 13 comes out in March and I think I'll die.

https://mangadex.org/title/d90ea6cb-7bc3-4d80-8af0-28557e6c4e17/dungeon-meshi

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, just read the scans for stuff that's still slowly being released and buy the official ones when they come out. release schedules can get pretty dumb sometimes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Publishing is a very, very, very slow industry

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

This is going to be a day 1 purchase of a nice complete box set so I did not feel bad reading scans

e: Also congrats on still having new Dungeon Meshi to read. God I wish that were me... :negative:

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 3, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

My friend you have saved my life

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
You fool, that's a winged lion post!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1733016159501406565

tearing up at that last cover

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Sleep Walking Orchestra by BUMP OF CHICKEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TeBRnGc_Ko

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the instrumentals are wonderful and perfectly fit the series.

the vocals are....I'd be lying if I said they stood out as special from any given bump of chicken song. like just by being BoC it's already hit a certain quality threshold, but it's on the lower end of their stuff in terms of vocalwork imo. instrumentals really lift it up tho

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
He’s a big boy, he’s gotta have a big meal

https://twitter.com/sattou0/status/1733684209053557194

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
second trailer is here!!! jan 4!!!!!!! i'm going to loving explode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtpYObV4c1Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the casual gruesome headshot amidst the mundane montage scenes

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Found this on Reddit, an epilogue for Kensuke

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/18khqzw/dungeon_meshi_monster_tidbits_14_kensuke/

Goddammit Laios

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ohhh

really happy falin's feathers ended up not just on her legs... cute! also her just smashing the cockatrice in the background lmao

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Did Falin climb in through the window or was she just sitting there for the conversation?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I kinda want a sequel about Falin. She is half Laios and half her own brand of deranged. Also, a happy ending for Kensuke! :3:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the spirit of the late king wanders the land searching for monster flesh

perfect coda, no notes

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

VideoWitch posted:

Did Falin climb in through the window or was she just sitting there for the conversation?

okay yeah rereading it Falin's definitely climbing in through the window. God Falin's so good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the spirit of the late king wanders the land searching for monster flesh

perfect coda, no notes

i have notes: she should do more of these

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

i have notes: she should do more of these

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

VideoWitch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9rMqPEzmvs

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm amused at [Marcille's comment about how someone in their group floated the idea of chopping Laois up to bits and spreading it around the world to act as a monster repellent.

It was probably Falin. :v:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Falin seems to have turned into a badass.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Falin was always a badass. She cast that teleportation spell to get them outta there while she was being eaten.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah but it would have saved a ton of hassle if she teleported the dragon instead

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tunicate posted:

Yeah but it would have saved a ton of hassle if she teleported the dragon instead

Maybe not for the people living up top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe not for the people living up top.

Actually I think this would have worked, because the mana density was much lower topside, so the dragon's biology would no longer be supported by the dense mana fields and physics (and gravity collapsing the dragon under its own weight) would have taken over.

But they didn't know that back then.