Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

mann i love Stoner this book's cool. i like this poo poo. i also love The Idiot which i read in spring, i like characters just up and dumping philosophical arguments on each other. and The Man Who Was Thursday is my fave of all. what's a good book for me when imm done Stonin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cephas posted:

I picked up The Summer Book and Fair Play by Tove Jansson. Halfway through The Summer Book now. It's really lovely. There's a sort of dignity and equal regard that the writing gives to the natural world--while not quite being "nature writing"-- that I find compelling. The closest comparison I can think of (which some of the jacket blurbs mention as well) is the way nature is treated in Hayao Miyazaki's works. It's also interesting to read a book by an experienced visual artist, because so much of the language of the book is carefully-constructed imagery.

can't wait to read her lesbian artist love story next.

I remember some interview where she was like "yeah it's beautiful and clean in the archipelago because you can throw all your trash in the sea".

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember some interview where she was like "yeah it's beautiful and clean in the archipelago because you can throw all your trash in the sea".

Notes from an Island posted:

The sea was chalk white in every direction as far as the eye could see. It was only then that we noticed the absolute silence.

And that we had started whispering.

Now came the long wait. I was seized by a new feeling of detachment that was utterly unlike isolation, merely a sense of being an outsider, with no worry or guilt about anything at all. I don’t know how it happened, but life became very simple and I just let myself be happy.

Tooti cut a hole in the ice for our garbage.

i guess when you're born in 1914 you can't help but dump your trash everywhere. (rabbit hole: here is an old swedish instructional film from 1964 encouraging people to poke holes in their garbage before tossing it into the sea, so it sinks lmao)

Cephas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 3, 2023

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Cephas posted:

I picked up The Summer Book and Fair Play by Tove Jansson. Halfway through The Summer Book now. It's really lovely. There's a sort of dignity and equal regard that the writing gives to the natural world--while not quite being "nature writing"-- that I find compelling. The closest comparison I can think of (which some of the jacket blurbs mention as well) is the way nature is treated in Hayao Miyazaki's works. It's also interesting to read a book by an experienced visual artist, because so much of the language of the book is carefully-constructed imagery.

can't wait to read her lesbian artist love story next.

I loved The Summer Book, it's beautiful and bittersweet and further drove my want to read every piece of Jansson's writing. (I've also read the first two Moomin novels, which are great too)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cephas posted:

i guess when you're born in 1914 you can't help but dump your trash everywhere. (rabbit hole: here is an old swedish instructional film from 1964 encouraging people to poke holes in their garbage before tossing it into the sea, so it sinks lmao)

Lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sharkmafia posted:

Do alexandre dumas and wilkie collins count as 'real literature' or does the fact that they were nineteenth century mass-market fiction writers disqualify them

This is not me baiting, I am genuinely interested in whether that sort of thing is something this thread discusses. Most of the older fiction I actually enjoy reading was at one point a bestseller and I would be interested in recommendations for other writers of sensation novels, for example

I do love that dumas books are very much just contermpory or historical political thrillers of the times they were written. its probably why i find him so readable. I always feel bad for verne because apperently only until like the last 30 or so years has his books gotten GOOD full translations. apperently the american publisit thought they would be better as YA fiction and basicaly gutted the books and made a very boring poo poo translation, what sucks is when you read him in schools, schools almost always go with early translations because cheaper AND theoreticaly "more accurate" but NOPE.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 4, 2023

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I do love that dumas books are very much just contermpory or historical political thrillers of the times they were written. its probably why i find him so readable.
Well, Dumas had an insane one chapter per day in the newspaper publishing contract and he wasn't writing alone. He had collaborators and the production of the book was surprisingly more collegial and vaguely similar to the script-writing in modern tv show writer rooms than anything else. I think it's what makes it feel so modern: it was episodic and it was well constructed. Dumas apparently mostly worked the overall plot and the dialogues(there were studies with books we 100% know he wrote alone). I really hate that we don't know more details about some of his collaborators' work but hey it was the 1840s. I think if Dumas lived today, he would probably be a TV Show Runner and his collaborators would have big imdb credits.

quote:

I always feel bad for verne because apperently only until like the last 30 or so years has his books gotten GOOD full translations. apperently the american publisit thought they would be better as YA fiction and basicaly gutted the books and made a very boring poo poo translation, what sucks is when you read him in schools, schools almost always go with early translations because cheaper AND theoreticaly "more accurate" but NOPE.
One of the translator even did add some antisemitic "crocked Jewish nose" descriptions and it wasn't there in the original text.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 4, 2023

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Jumping ahead from page ~500 to say it's kinda surprising how much you all enjoyed Lincoln in the Bardo, considering it's pretty blatantly an inferior rip-off of Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book, and was shamelessly trying to cash in (5 years too late, I might add) on the success of hit movies Lincoln, Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and to a lesser extent the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Well, Dumas had an insane one chapter per day in the newspaper publishing contract and he wasn't writing alone. He had collaborators and the production of the book was surprisingly more collegial and vaguely similar to the script-writing in modern tv show writer rooms than anything else. I think it's what makes it feel so modern: it was episodic and it was well constructed. Dumas apparently mostly worked the overall plot and the dialogues(there were studies with books we 100% know he wrote alone). I really hate that we don't know more details about some of his collaborators' work but hey it was the 1840s. I think if Dumas lived today, he would probably be a TV Show Runner and his collaborators would have big imdb credits.

One of the translator even did add some antisemitic "crocked Jewish nose" descriptions and it wasn't there in the original text.

Maquet has his own novels. You can read them and decide for yourself how much influence Dumas had on the works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

I never knew that. that honestly explains alot. i feel like if i found a large print version, my dad would probably enjoy dumas because he always reads paper back airport fiction and its worth a shot.

on vern. the most i read of him was those classic illustraited when i was little but then i read some of him in really meh sci-fi lit course and it was the lovely first print of around the world in 80 days which the prof claimed was accurate and it was extreamly boring and dry.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gaius Marius posted:

Maquet has his own novels. You can read them and decide for yourself how much influence Dumas had on the works.

I once read all of the Three Musketeers novels. The drop off in quality in _Vicomte de Bragellone_ and _Louise de la Vallerie_ was just actively painful.

I've never been able to force myself to even try reading the Count of Monte Cristo sequel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Moacher posted:

Jumping ahead from page ~500 to say it's kinda surprising how much you all enjoyed Lincoln in the Bardo, considering it's pretty blatantly an inferior rip-off of Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book, and was shamelessly trying to cash in (5 years too late, I might add) on the success of hit movies Lincoln, Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and to a lesser extent the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot.

weird thing is, I liked abe lincoln vampire hunter. its dumb but the story works and some plantation owners being vampires and helping keep the system running because parsiteism is interesting. its not amazing but its interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I once read all of the Three Musketeers novels. The drop off in quality in _Vicomte de Bragellone_ and _Louise de la Vallerie_ was just actively painful.

I've never been able to force myself to even try reading the Count of Monte Cristo sequel.

there is a sequel to monte cristo. that book seemed pretty defintative with its ending.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I started Species of spaces by Georges Perec today, this book owns. it’s like a strange blend of essays and novel into one. not quite one or the other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I finished dracula last year and id love to find some more epistolary novel classics, preferebly horror.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there is a sequel to monte cristo. that book seemed pretty defintative with its ending.

One would think!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

One would think!

whats it called? is it buy him?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
Tried to read Norwegian Wood for the 2nd time and couldn't finish it. Didn't find anything to enjoy, kind of baffled at how it was so popular. For context, I really enjoyed Wind-Up Bird and Kafka on the Shore, but this one felt like a bunch of teens complaining with awful one-dimensional characters.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
did he describe their ears a lot and did they all have huge tits

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
The protagonist was getting laid a lot, that's for sure

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Briefly returning to the topic of Dumas - is it still the Robin Buss translation of Monte Cristo that’s generally recommended?

I have a tendency for analysis paralysis when it comes to translations and obsess about getting the ‘best’ translation (whatever that means, if I knew I’d likely not be in this situation) and eventually get overwhelmed and fail to buy and read the book under consideration.

I have the same problem when it comes to picking from the twenty different kindle versions of out-of-copyright book other than Oxford, Penguin and Everyman versions usually being decent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats it called? is it buy him?

Reading up actually it looks like the one I was thinking of wasn't by Dumas at all, but a guy named Flagg. My dad had a set of Dumas books from the early 1900s and it was in there with the others so I'd assumed it was a maquet sequel.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MisterBear posted:

Briefly returning to the topic of Dumas - is it still the Robin Buss translation of Monte Cristo that’s generally recommended?

It's the only unabridged modern translation

a.p. dent posted:

Tried to read Norwegian Wood for the 2nd time and couldn't finish it. Didn't find anything to enjoy, kind of baffled at how it was so popular. For context, I really enjoyed Wind-Up Bird and Kafka on the Shore, but this one felt like a bunch of teens complaining with awful one-dimensional characters.

I have no idea what people see in Marukami, every fiction work he's written that I've read has been awful, just terribly dull. His non fiction work on Aum was good though and Drive my Car which is loosely based on a short story of his was the best movie of 2021

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2023

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

a.p. dent posted:

I remember staying up all night to finish Norwegian Wood because I liked it so much, but also I was 20. Suspect it'd go over pretty differently now

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I do love that dumas books are very much just contermpory or historical political thrillers of the times they were written. its probably why i find him so readable. I always feel bad for verne because apperently only until like the last 30 or so years has his books gotten GOOD full translations. apperently the american publisit thought they would be better as YA fiction and basicaly gutted the books and made a very boring poo poo translation, what sucks is when you read him in schools, schools almost always go with early translations because cheaper AND theoreticaly "more accurate" but NOPE.

Yeah, I agree. Despite technically being an english major i've never had very much patience for books that are written in an opaque/obtuse style. dumas's books are extremely readable and as something I'm doing for fun that makes them far easier to get into than, like, ulysses

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The horrible 19th-century Verne translations are English, not American, and he's had good translations since at least 1962, when Anthony Bonner translated the library copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea that I fell in love with as a kid. (I later got a nasty surprise when I checked out another copy with the 1873 translation.)

Basically all public-domain translations of 19th-century French literature are Victorian monstrosities laden with gross misunderstandings at best and riddled with active censorship at worst (usually both), but postwar translations are at least decent efforts as a rule.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 5, 2023

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know how I didn't know Jules Verne was French

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think people just assume Phileas Fogg is something of a author self insert and figure he's english.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I mostly like Murakami when his writing focuses on liminal spaces and aporetic creatures. I personally find that his writing can have a sort of hypnotic effect where all of the mundane tropes he's known for are just fodder for one or two scenes of violent intrusions of the uncanny. A lot of his stories defy explanation or resolution and are very mysterious, and after I finish reading his novels, I usually end up having strange and vivid dreams about them some time afterward. Like it gives my subconscious something to chew on.

For an author as popular as he is, it's hard for me to think of who I would recommend him to. I guess early 20-somethings who would find his coolly detached and self-assured characters compelling, or people who are into oneironautics?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cephas posted:

early 20-somethings who would find his coolly detached and self-assured characters compelling
ding ding ding

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like his book about running.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yes, Bragellone is considered by most the lesser sequel despite having the Iron Mask. Too many pointless court intrigues in the first part.

But the Monte Cristo sequels? There are none by Dumas himself (some were produced after his death) and all are more or less the equivalent of the Dune books by Frank Herbert's son. It's fanfiction really.
Are you talking about the American Edmund Flagg's books? Or is it the Portuguese 'fanfic' fakely attributed to Dumas too (A mão do finado/La Main du Défunt). It was written in 1853 by Portuguese author Alfredo Hogan and published without any author name because his editor was a greedy bitch and couldn't slap Dumas' name on it without problems. It was translated in French, German, and Spanish* but never in English. Dumas had to sue to get his name removed from some translations of the book.
Both are "okayish" read (by fanfiction standards) even if the Portuguese one isn't really into Dantes' original characterization. Also congratulations for having a badly translated "Dumas" book published in French.

*the Spanish edition of The Count by the Enciclopedia Pulga is some extra fun because they altered the end of The Count of Montecristo's second book to have Valentine die and then added "La mano del muerto" literally at the end of the Dumas Book as if it was part of it, without telling the readers. I wonder how many people believed it was the original text.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 5, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

There's no need for a continuation of the count of monte cristo in any case, stories should be allowed to end

I do think it's funny that people have always been on that fanfic grind for as long as we've been writing things down and likely even before that

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

sharkmafia posted:

I do think it's funny that people have always been on that fanfic grind for as long as we've been writing things down and likely even before that
I mean the whole Arthurian lit is 200% a fanfiction project. "Here come my OC Perceval, please don't copy!"- Chretien de Troy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Toplowtech posted:

But the Monte Cristo sequels? There are none by Dumas himself (some were produced after his death) and all are more or less the equivalent of the Dune books by Frank Herbert's son. It's fanfiction really.
Are you talking about the American Edmund Flagg's books? Or is it the Portuguese 'fanfic' fakely attributed to Dumas too (A mão do finado/La Main du Défunt). It was written in 1853 by Portuguese author Alfredo Hogan and published without any author name because his editor was a greedy bitch and couldn't slap Dumas' name on it without problems. It was translated in French, German, and Spanish* but never in English. Dumas had to sue to get his name removed from some translations of the book.
Both are "okayish" read (by fanfiction standards) even if the Portuguese one isn't really into Dantes' original characterization. Also congratulations for having a badly translated "Dumas" book published in French.

I think it must have been the Flagg version. My father had a "complete dumas" reprint set that included a Monte Cristo sequel, which stared at me from the shelf a fair bit in my youth but which I never actually picked up, because it would so obviously have been awful.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

I like his book about running.

I liked that one also. The one scene I liked in Norwegian wood was about an old man eating a cucumber

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Underground is fantastic.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the most frustrating thing about (Haruki) Murakami is that there’s always a glimpse of a better book in all his novels. the magical/fantastical elements are always somewhat interesting and intriguing, and he is good at depicting the ennui of a lonely late 20s aspiring creative, but then he fills it with the supple breasts of a mature-for-her-age or perfectly shaped ear or whatever the gently caress, and the resolution to the interesting phenomena is always either “do nothing”, “bang that teen” or both

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

Yeah, I agree. Despite technically being an english major i've never had very much patience for books that are written in an opaque/obtuse style. dumas's books are extremely readable and as something I'm doing for fun that makes them far easier to get into than, like, ulysses

yeah, i like purple prose and extreamly emotionally descriptive writing, one of my favorite books is the last unicorn and most of that is stuff high school me would have called pretentious as gently caress and it can be but like works because you give a poo poo about the writing and makes the feelings and places feel real even when the book purposely vague on its world and details because none of that matters really to the story.

Dumas is fun because its just kinda of weird peak into literature from 100 plus years ago but not the uber ART kind

My issue is when i tried reading mobey dick and i understood and liked it because it feels like your in a seamens bar listening to some old sailor go on a very very long story with tons of tangents. the issue is the story just kinda goes up its own rear end. which ehh. its probably why i never read ulysses because all i heard about is its super hard to read and just about some dude becoming a cuckold or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My issue is when i tried reading mobey dick and i understood and liked it because it feels like your in a seamens bar listening to some old sailor go on a very very long story with tons of tangents. the issue is the story just kinda goes up its own rear end. which ehh. its probably why i never read ulysses because all i heard about is its super hard to read and just about some dude becoming a cuckold or something.

ye gods