Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate all DQ music so it didn't make much more of an impression than usual.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ragequit posted:

I should probably do the same. Got distracted by another game when I got the boat. I'll need to find a summary video up to that point while trying to avoid spoilers on the ending.

Yeah I had to read a summary and then rewatched a bunch of cutscenes anyway and still don't fully understand everything that was going on (although not sure I did at the time either). The gameplay was surprisingly far easier to settle back into than I thought it would be though.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Ramie posted:

"oppose society's pointless rules.... in a socially acceptable way!!!!"

From my time in Japan, this IS Japanese culture, though.

Japanese anti-culture "punks" almost uniformly have the exact same haircut (remake Cloud Strife) dyed in different colors. From observation, they still stick very close to Japanese social rules (bowing, formal/polite conversation).

So it's not really surprising at all that for those of us in the "West" it would seem like a tonal disjunction.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Levitate posted:

DQXI’s bombastic and repetitive “overworld” music is a bit much but probably to some extent and people part of the charm

No its music is definitely one if its weakest aspects because its racist old warcrimes denier composer was really phoning it in at the end of his life. But he's dead now so hopefully the music will be better in the next one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Regy Rusty posted:

No its music is definitely one if its weakest aspects because its racist old warcrimes denier composer was really phoning it in at the end of his life. But he's dead now so hopefully the music will be better in the next one.

iirc the soundtrack for dq12 is already done and was composed by him

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The day Sugiyama died was fun because the gaming industry at large was lining up to give eulogies about what a legendary artist he was while all the Dragon Quest fans were going "loving FINALLY."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

iirc the soundtrack for dq12 is already done and was composed by him

welp

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I got 100 super jumps in Mario RPG. Feeling pretty proud since kid me was never able to do it on the original even on a crt.

https://x.com/seanmcbay/status/1731753018583028192?s=46&t=zpYUUMLitkL1LQfCkNP_qA

Now I’m ready to face Culex 3D with my super suit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you'll destroy him

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i had more trouble with johnny 2 than the final one because I'm bad at perfect guards lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

They'll just reuse his old stuff forever because if DQ hates one thing it's change.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Any recommendations for controllers? I don't really want to shell out $70x2 for 2 pro controllers.

vvv Any good?
https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Vibration-Girls-Pink/dp/B0BC3FV66C

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 4, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

Any recommendations for controllers? I don't really want to shell out $70x2 for 2 pro controllers.

It's not that much cheaper but the 8bitdo controllers are good, at least: https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Aftermarket/3rd party controllers have to be switch specific? I can’t just use my existing Xbox controllers?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Aftermarket/3rd party controllers have to be switch specific? I can’t just use my existing Xbox controllers?

If you're playing docked you can buy a bluetooth adapter to make xbox/psx controllers work.

e: this guy

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wirel...01719287&sr=8-3

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Looper posted:

i had more trouble with johnny 2 than the final one because I'm bad at perfect guards lol

Same. I had by far the most trouble with him. I don't have the Super Suit because I suck at Super Jumps too so the only way I could beat him was to equip the Lazy Shell on Mario and just tank everything. He died before Mario did so it worked!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone know of a case that can hold a switch and 2 pro controllers? Most likely I'll have the smaller PowerA nano controllers tho.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Silver Falcon posted:

Same. I had by far the most trouble with him. I don't have the Super Suit because I suck at Super Jumps too so the only way I could beat him was to equip the Lazy Shell on Mario and just tank everything. He died before Mario did so it worked!

It's the only fight I used the lazy shell for. My tv has some bad input delay and I didn't care enough about the gimmick to play in handheld. I think solving for Booster gave me the most trouble otherwise.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok just got the switch. How should I be buying games? Retail box? Secondary market physical? Secondary market digital?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

from a guy in a trench coat

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So secondary market then

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I just go into a shop and buy games

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Notable December releases:

12-1-2023 Steamworld Build ($29.99, on sale for 10% off for another 12 hours), rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6XvYuPV3Q
A new Steamworld game!! This one is a city builder. Reviews indicate it's a fun, laid back kind of game with tons of charm. It's Steamworld!! :toot:

If anyone's interested in this I personally don't recommend getting it on the Switch. It doesn't really look great. Some of the building designs need to be a little more unique or have a better silhouette because they can get lost on the low res graphics which is really annoying when trying to manage the needs of nearby buildings.

It is, however, not a bad game at all for a really chill city builder if that's what you're looking for.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok just got the switch. How should I be buying games? Retail box? Secondary market physical? Secondary market digital?
I hate that I find the convenience of digital so overpowering to what should be the overwhelmingly and no brainer reasons for physical.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Shaocaholica posted:

So secondary market then

No, no he's an official retailer

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shaocaholica posted:

Assuming you have no strong preferences such as preferring the convenience of digital, liking having physical boxes to display, or on the other side of it disliking boxes cluttering up your house, you can go with whichever is cheapest! Doesn't matter in the end. You still get the games.

Make sure to bookmark this site https://www.dekudeals.com/ and make an account there. You can set up a wishlist with preference such as physical or digital and it'll notify you when a game on your wishlist goes on sale.

In general, if you're aiming for first-party Nintendo titles (developed and/or published by Nintendo), you won't see as large of a discount on those. They rarely go on sale. The secondary market is another matter but you'd have to do some hunting. The trade-off is that first-party Nintendo games are some of the best on the system and are consistently high quality, so you do get what you pay for.

Good luck on hunting for deals and happy gaming!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shaocaholica posted:

Buy discounted eShop credit at Costco or something, they do $100 credit for $80 on sale regularly.

Then use that to just buy games digitally.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just buy games digitally

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

If you wind up with a Nintendo switch online subscription, you can buy game vouchers. Those are $100 for two digital games. The selection is limited to Nintendo games, but also those are the ones that go on sale the least.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shaocaholica posted:

Don't forget to check your local libraries lending networks, especially for shorter, easy games that have been around for a long time on the console.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
SMRPG got me thinking about remakes. Normally I don’t like them. I think nostalgia is a valid feeling to consider when playing a game and I’d rather revisit old games in a more authentic manner. Sometimes the nostalgia can help prop up weaker aspects of a game, and its old graphics can help contextualize those weaker aspects. When those game’s aesthetics get repainted, however, it end up making the project feel like you’re just playing a modern game with weak and outdated mechanics.

However, I loved RE2 Remake and this game. There’s probably a lot to write about what makes these remakes good, but I think the key thing with these titles is that they understand the nostalgia and they try to preserve it through other cultural factors while they update the visuals and gameplay mechanics. RE2 and SMRPG feel not just faithful to the source material, but faithful to the 90s and the cultural landscape in which they came.

I think the best thing a remake can you is get you excited about how the remake is going to handle your favorite moments. And SMRPG does that in spades. What a great game.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was extremely leery of the Link's Awakening remake, because it was the first video game that was *mine*, as opposed to just "one of the Genesis games". Also, the remake's art style looked way worse (to me) in static images than in motion.

But it turned out great, and really well done.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there are definitely too many remakes and remasters coming out these days but I'll allow it for the games i like

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Man they were not joking when they called fire emblems Normal mode 'Easy in disguise'

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man they were not joking when they called fire emblems Normal mode 'Easy in disguise'

I don't know what terms they use nowadays, but "Classic Permadeath" or whatever is what I did on the 3DS games.

The folks who play on Nightmare are masochists who also play it like a solved game lmao.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Looper posted:

It took me awhile to learn the patterns for some of his attacks too. I found that the sound of some of the attacks was a better indicator of when to hit the guard than watching the animations. Once I got that down, it was a lot easier to do it.

One of these days I'm going to sit down and get 100 super jumps.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

there are definitely too many remakes and remasters coming out these days but I'll allow it for the games i like

remakes are good when they are good. and they are bad when they are bad.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Shaocaholica posted:

So secondary market then

a combo of the secondary market and that dekudeals site has saved me loads of money. wishlist the games you want so you get notified of good deals in stores. Amazon has been good for that every few months. Also Source sometimes has some decent clearance sales. but i have also scored killer deals on carts without game cases in pawn shops or sites like poshmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would prefer a $5 portable re-release to a $40-$60 remake in almost all cases except PS1-era 3D games.