Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/vkbtnAB.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Amazing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

*screams in pain*

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Am I missing something? The engine seems fine at the end, the tire popped?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

Am I missing something? The engine seems fine at the end, the tire popped?

Yes I think the moral is that even if you do everything perfectly, something else can go wrong randomly

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

That Works posted:

I posted it either here or in the EV thread but it was showing one of the youtubers that put out a cybertruck video getting just blanketed in bot comments talking up the vehicle. It was obvious with the recycling of the same keywords on all of them and also that like only those comments had >1k likes each and every other comment had like 10-12 likes in the same time frame. Couple thousand deep bot network probably juking the upvotes on the vid as well as saturating the comments with a pre-planned take on the vid.

Um excuse me but Musk bought Twitter to get rid of the bots. This is literally impossible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Um excuse me but Musk bought Twitter to get rid of the bots. This is literally impossible.

Agreed, this was youtube

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

THIRTEEN MOTORS. I'm impressed it only had 3 battery packs though tbh!

https://twitter.com/Motor1com/status/1731681150471471405?t=KoMFYI-q3Rw0ACyT1hKp4g&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

....13 motors? Jesus.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
90K per motor more or less. Yeah that's still bad, but 1.2 million miles is an impressive amount of driving.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

90K per motor more or less. Yeah that's still bad, but 1.2 million miles is an impressive amount of driving.

Yes but there are many ICE cars that can do that on 1-2 engines. That's not just bad, that's incredibly poor. An electric motor should last an extremely long time, it has minimal moving parts (really only one), if their failure rather is that high, that's incredibly poor.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

the car may be a dual motor model so that 90k could be on 2 motors at the same time

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

....13 motors? Jesus.
Yeah, I'm not at all versed in electric anything, but aren't DC motors supposed to be basically indestructible?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, I'm not at all versed in electric anything, but aren't DC motors supposed to be basically indestructible?

Not really. a friend of mine's father used to own a company that rebuilt industrial electric motors. Stuff wears out and burns up eventually, especially if it's used in harsh environments.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I remember seeing an analysis of long-term Model S/X usage (as taxi/shuttle service? Or rental?) and it also went through surprisingly many wear items. I'll try to dig it up.

E: over 400k

https://jalopnik.com/this-tesla-model-x-has-driven-over-400-000-miles-here-1841761190

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 4, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

giving land rovers a run for the towtruck

stealie72 posted:

Not DC. 3 phase AC. There's no regen with DC. Motor life is linked to winding temperature.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Also if something fucks up in the cooling it can get bad very quickly.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 4, 2023

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Not really. a friend of mine's father used to own a company that rebuilt industrial electric motors. Stuff wears out and burns up eventually, especially if it's used in harsh environments.

cursedshitbox posted:

Not DC. 3 phase AC. There's no regen with DC. Motor life is linked to winding temperature.
Ah, OK. I learned a thing on SA today.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Especially since it's a 2014 model and the tech wasn't as refined, 13 motors doesn't seem that horrible when you remember that the motors are the engine, transmission, brakes*, and drive axles combined. Still not great, but that's roughly on par with a Leaf, right?

*partially

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also if something fucks up in the cooling it can get bad very quickly.

If you put a "block heater" on the battery pack and drove it in below freezing temperatures with a warmed up battery pack, would it perform better or worse than at the ~70° baseline?

E: can you realistically service those types of motors without a rebuild? My understanding is that they're analogous to a giant alternator, and those aren't really serviced parts because they're a pain in the rear end

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 4, 2023

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

The Door Frame posted:

Especially since it's a 2014 model and the tech wasn't as refined, 13 motors doesn't seem that horrible when you remember that the motors are the engine, transmission, brakes*, and drive axles combined. Still not great, but that's roughly on par with a Leaf, right?

*partially

If you put a "block heater" on the battery pack and drove it in below freezing temperatures with a warmed up battery pack, would it perform better or worse than at the ~70° baseline?

E: can you realistically service those types of motors without a rebuild? My understanding is that they're analogous to a giant alternator, and those aren't really serviced parts because they're a pain in the rear end

I know of a three Leafs with over 150k miles and none of them have had motor replacements. 1 Battery replacement, the other two just brakes, tires, and wipers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Toupee Groupie posted:

I know of a three Leafs with over 150k miles and none of them have had motor replacements. 1 Battery replacement, the other two just brakes, tires, and wipers.

Soooooo Nissan makes good cars? compared to Tesla

cursedshitbox posted:

giving land rovers a run for the towtruck

When you say there is no regen with DC, that kinda jogged my memory (i think) Is it Teslas that get AC input to the batteries, then convert it to DC for "stuff" but then some of that DC gets converted back to AC to run the driving motors?

Or did I imagine that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is for sale near me

quote:

2000 Ford Ecoline super duty, cargo van truck
this is a custom and very unique van truck, the top was cut off to make it easier baby can you for Hauling large loads. Additionally, the complete interior was rhino liner with two coats professionally to against the weather (cost 1,200)

Strong 5.4 L V-8 engine that runs great
Automatic transmission
Cold
For new tires (cost 400)
New black exterior paint (cost $1,000)
This truck runs great and shift. Smooth needs nothing done and is ready for long trips. The fluids were just serviced, auto windows that work. Everyone turns their head to look at this fan, the previous owner used it tow inside the long 12 foot van bed 2 motorcycles to Sturgis. This large 12 foot by 5 foot van bed, new pressure treated plywood floor and 2 rear doors. The possibilities that you could put your favorite hobby into the back such as long boards, Jet ski, work tools, lawn mower, or anything you could imagine a fit in the back of that big rear end van bed with tow pack.

I think people are turning their heads to stare for different reasons than he thinks :v:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is for sale near me

I think people are turning their heads to stare for different reasons than he thinks :v:

I like the thought behind it, but the execution puts it squarely in the right thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is for sale near me

Right thread.

Guys will make anything into a truck instead of just buying a loving trailer.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

coating the "interior" with bed lining :kiss:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I too love my cargo killing me if I have to slam on the brakes in an emergency

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Really ought to have put a piece of plywood across the opening

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Build a back wall to turn it into a single cab truck or just say gently caress it to death and rhino line everything? Hmmm 🤔

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Without the C pillar I cannot imagine how much flex that "bed" has.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Build a back wall to turn it into a single cab truck or just say gently caress it to death and rhino line everything? Hmmm 🤔

Easy to hose out! Including the drivers remains after the inevitable crash.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wesleywillis posted:

Soooooo Nissan makes good cars? compared to Tesla

When you say there is no regen with DC, that kinda jogged my memory (i think) Is it Teslas that get AC input to the batteries, then convert it to DC for "stuff" but then some of that DC gets converted back to AC to run the driving motors?

Or did I imagine that?

You can't store AC in a battery.

When you slow-charge a Tesla (or any EV for that matter), the "charger" provides 120 or 240vAC to the onboard battery charger. That onboard charger rectifies that into DC and uses it to charge the batteries. When you fast-charge a Tesla (or just about any EV), the rectification happens in the big electronics cabinet at the charging station, and significantly higher voltage DC is pumped directly into the batteries (I'm hand-waving over a lot of steps here).

Then, when you drive a Tesla (or any other EV with a three phase motor, which is most of them? All of them), the DC charge in the battery is run through an inverter, converted into three phases of AC, and then it drives the motor.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Mom: We have a watermelon bus at home!

The watermelon bus we have at home:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

"" posted:

2000 Ford Ecoline super duty, cargo van truck
this is a custom and very unique van truck, the top was cut off to make it easier baby can you for Hauling large loads. Additionally, the complete interior was rhino liner with two coats professionally to against the weather (cost 1,200)

Strong 5.4 L V-8 engine that runs great
Automatic transmission
Cold
For new tires (cost 400)
New black exterior paint (cost $1,000)
This truck runs great and shift. Smooth needs nothing done and is ready for long trips. The fluids were just serviced, auto windows that work. Everyone turns their head to look at this fan, the previous owner used it tow inside the long 12 foot van bed 2 motorcycles to Sturgis. This large 12 foot by 5 foot van bed, new pressure treated plywood floor and 2 rear doors. The possibilities that you could put your favorite hobby into the back such as long boards, Jet ski, work tools, lawn mower, or anything you could imagine a fit in the back of that big rear end van bed with tow pack

I love that this listing was clearly composed by speech-to-text, with the guy's wife or somebody in the background trying to interject.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I remember seeing an ad for a “nine end” tractor once.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Posting this here because I think it's awsome that they're trying different ideas, but on the other hand I can't help but think that building an actual car around this would be extremely terrible car poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6C0y8xc20

It's supposed to improve packaging by pushing the reduction gears into the hubs and getting rid of the differential (so more space in the middle of the frame, better torque control etc) but
  • Tiny gears that won't blow up if you look at them wrong
  • Sealing a huge hole with a rotating shaft
  • Lubricating the cv join that will still be used
  • Rotate the motors on the font axles with steering
  • Somehow make it fit with brakes and suspension components and motor cooling
for basically very marginal benefits. If it's even possible it would be the kind of nightmare even ze germans wouldn't think of.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 4, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I appreciate Hyundai doing wacky stuff but please just build the N Vision 74, guys!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Midjack posted:

I appreciate Hyundai doing wacky stuff but please just build the N Vision 74, guys!

:hmmyes:

please.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mobby_6kl posted:

Posting this here because I think it's awsome that they're trying different ideas, but on the other hand I can't help but think that building an actual car around this would be extremely terrible car poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6C0y8xc20

It's supposed to improve packaging by pushing the reduction gears into the hubs and getting rid of the differential (so more space in the middle of the frame, better torque control etc) but
  • Tiny gears that won't blow up if you look at them wrong
  • Sealing a huge hole with a rotating shaft
  • Lubricating the cv join that will still be used
  • Rotate the motors on the font axles with steering
  • Somehow make it fit with brakes and suspension components and motor cooling
for basically very marginal benefits. If it's even possible it would be the kind of nightmare even ze germans wouldn't think of.

He says pinion like Benedict Cumberbatch says penguin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GnLDJAgrws

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Hyundai puts so little thought into their cars that last generation they didn't have interlocks and this generation, the brake lights don't come on during heavy regenerative braking in their EV's. God himself could put his seal of approval on it and I'd wait until it didn't have a Hyundai/Kia/Genesis badge on it before trusting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol pinyouin