Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The copter unban is a loving snorefest.

I am happy with the modern bans. I would have only banned boseiju along with the rest. Yawg about to get really good because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

RB with copters in the Bankbuster slot seems like an interesting place to start with it. Wonder where else it can slot in. We’ve got a lot of interesting aggressive black cards since 2019 when that mono B aggro/midrange deck was good.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I don't play Modern but it would seem more annoying to me to play a ton of games where you start with 5 or fewer cards than to have your creatures die.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't play Modern but it would seem more annoying to me to play a ton of games where you start with 5 or fewer cards than to have your creatures die.

HootTheOwl posted:

Am I alone here about Grief?

What deck do you think grief will get played in now and does that deck matter?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think scam gets a lot less consistent which is all you really need to push the wr and play rate down to let other decks come back into the format. Hitting bean is good too because otherwise the format would have gotten even worse with just bean decks. Good moves imo. Sometimes you will get hit by grief but that’s life in the big leagues and it won’t happen enough to warp the format even if it causes some individual salt at tables

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Losing the creatures is only part of it, a t1 four power double striker just ends a lot of games.

Idk, Thoughtseize effects are my version of Hoot’s blood moon so I’m far from unbiased, but I’d have been happy to see it go too. I guess the hope is without having a second good elemental to scam in, maybe the scam plan just isn’t good enough.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just to be clear, the scam deck is totally dead. You can't just slot in solitude and call it a day. Turn 1 undying grief is no longer thing consistent enough to win.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 4, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Grief is definitely the more annoying card for a lot of decks when evoked and reanimated, but the big thing about Fury is that it ends the game fast (4/4 doublestriker kills in 3 turns just by itself, and even swinging for 6 when the board is clear is a good clock). That's partially why it's a maindeckable card so you see it constantly in the good decks.

A side effect of that was that you basically couldn't realistically play any deck that relied on sticking 1 toughness creatures. It's not even that those decks will be good now or anything, it's just that they were unplayable in a world where you commit a bunch of resources to make a wide board on T2 or T3 and get completely blown out by an evoked fury.

Knocking fury out means that scam now has only one evokable card to use undying with in it's current play, so main decking 8 undying cards to be sure to have one T1 is a much worse plan now. The actual scam part of scam is almost certainly dead as a result, it likely has to move to a RB midrange plan if it exists at all. Plus it hits all the random fury's in other decks as well as hitting the 4c decks, so it's sort of the biggest effect they could have with the least bans, I totally get why they targeted it.

They should still ban grief though, and TOR is on borrowed time I feel like :colbert:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The printing of the Stifle Merfolk was a false flag to get us to forget how powerful and annoying TOR is.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Please let me sell my TOR and Bowmasters before you do anything Wizards, TYIA

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

What deck do you think grief will get played in now and does that deck matter?

Yawg, Living End, BW sewer decks will make a comeback with triple grief.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

This weekend is the last weekend of RCQs here for modern season. Kind of crazy - lots of players scrambling to find cards or decide what to play when meta is so shook up.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
RE: Fadam - I know you dont agree with this so this isnt me trying to convince you but instead just trying to articulate why I like gameplans with discard etc!!!

i think thoughtseize effects and decks that revolve around making games "small" are good for formats as a way to balance things becoming a race to make and obtain more rectangles and life. Modern was very good when shadow existed as a way shrink boardstates and hands into 2-3 relevant cards over 2-3 relevant turns. That lethality feels good as a looming threat. I dont think I need shadow specifically to be the deck, and scam was too good at it in its final form, but earlier on before it had all the parts it eventually had, scam was a nice counterbalance to the "im going to play omnath 4 times a game and gain 30 life" decks of the time. I think a format that has the lurking idea that "your deck needs consistency and a plan b or it will be punished harshly in certain matchups" feels better to me. It leads to more diversity in matchups as some decks become designed to prey on others, sideboards become much more valuable and versatile, etc. It changes the aggro, combo, control matchup spread by wedging itself in between them and forcing the rise of other decks that prey on poo poo like shadow.

I understand that some people will never like having their gameplan disrupted that way and this is not an attempt say they should think differently. also forgive this as a stream of consciousness post :)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Modern needs a good drag race aggro deck to police all the durdly infinite value midrange/control strategies

so I guess what i'm saying is MH3 should print a hexproof unblockable infect creature

but actually seriously print good tribal cards!!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Modern needs a good drag race aggro deck to police all the durdly infinite value midrange/control strategies

so I guess what i'm saying is MH3 should print a hexproof unblockable infect creature

it has very good drag race parts and decks that get counteracted easily by the midrange decks that exist. there is a lot of lifegain tacked onto otherwise modern playable cards that has pushed stuff out of the format. omnath is one of them but you could easily name 10 more cards

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
time to sleeve up BW tokens and eat poo poo once more because it's still bad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Yawg, Living End, BW sewer decks will make a comeback with triple grief.

Yawg doesn't use grief right now, why would that change? Living end is a legit deck and probably going to be a even more viable now. I don't know what bw deck you are describing.

Even in living end, grief is functioning about as close as it was designed to. No where as powerful as t1 4/3 with shadow + double TS.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When MH2 first came out and people were low on fury the scam deck was a BW "Sewer" deck that would Ephemerae grief and solitude. They fell out of favor once people figured out fury was really good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jabor posted:

lmao that if you spent a dozen rare wildcards to try the deck out you're only getting 4 uncommons back

Lol spent nearly that many bc it was the closest explorer deck I had sitting in my list of uncraftables and I got the Ixalan rare to tip it over to crafta le. Luckily most of the crafts were manabase so I can get use out of em, but I'm definitely back in that annoying spot of having no rare wildcards but a bunch of mythics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

elbkaida posted:

Did Geological Appraiser really need to be banned? Hardly seeing it in Explorer Bo3 and in a recent video Arne Huschenbeth went something like 1-4 trying it out.
from watching Jim Davis play it prior to the ban, the deck that's coalesced around the card really seems ridiculous. turn 3 kill guaranteed by getting a bunch of appraisers out, eldritch evolutioning for carnosaur, then eldritch evolutioning again for either ghalta(if you have doomskar titan in hand) or doomskar titan, then swinging for Like A Billion hasted damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1RWi0ihiuk&hd=1

yes it can be stopped, but it's Tibalt's Trickery tier of non-games, so I understand wanted to nip that in the bud before it gets too prevalent.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
...our long-term vision for the format, where players can enjoy a variety of macro-strategies before losing the game

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to see how the format plays out from here. Yawg seems like it will be top-tier for sure, which means Rhinos will also be (already a very solid deck, and it's got good game against Yawg).
Fury being gone does help creature decks, but Yawg still laughs at creature decks.

Murktide is a little more playable now that bean is gone. One of those landing is pretty much lights out for that deck.

4-color piles just go back to using the ring, which isn't as good as the bean.

Most importantly, my Jund Saga is still probably bad, but at least it isn't competing against beans for midrange superiority.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

yes it can be stopped, but it's Tibalt's Trickery tier of non-games, so I understand wanted to nip that in the bud before it gets too prevalent.

It also wasn't very fun to play, aside from a small chance of fizzling, it was extremely routine and doing the loop for lethal if opponent didn't see the writing on the wall early on just felt like a chore for a foregone conclusion. Even fizzling out often left you with a crazy enough board to win soon without a lethal hasting.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

elbkaida posted:

Did Geological Appraiser really need to be banned? Hardly seeing it in Explorer Bo3 and in a recent video Arne Huschenbeth went something like 1-4 trying it out.

To follow up on what Invictus said, they were pretty clear about their intent in the article. They aren't banning Geological Appraiser because the deck is dominating the meta. They're banning it because they don't want "I need to hold up interaction for the first few turns on the off chance my opponent is playing that one dumb Discover combo that wins instantly if I don't have a way to interact with it but folds instantly if I do" to be part of Pioneer's meta forever.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strong Sauce posted:

Please let me sell my TOR and Bowmasters before you do anything Wizards, TYIA

Well you're in luck. Bowmaster dropped to $30 this weekend on fears it was going to be banned. It's claimed back up to $40 after thr announcement.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

RE: Fadam - I know you dont agree with this so this isnt me trying to convince you but instead just trying to articulate why I like gameplans with discard etc!!!

i think thoughtseize effects and decks that revolve around making games "small" are good for formats as a way to balance things becoming a race to make and obtain more rectangles and life. Modern was very good when shadow existed as a way shrink boardstates and hands into 2-3 relevant cards over 2-3 relevant turns. That lethality feels good as a looming threat. I dont think I need shadow specifically to be the deck, and scam was too good at it in its final form, but earlier on before it had all the parts it eventually had, scam was a nice counterbalance to the "im going to play omnath 4 times a game and gain 30 life" decks of the time. I think a format that has the lurking idea that "your deck needs consistency and a plan b or it will be punished harshly in certain matchups" feels better to me. It leads to more diversity in matchups as some decks become designed to prey on others, sideboards become much more valuable and versatile, etc. It changes the aggro, combo, control matchup spread by wedging itself in between them and forcing the rise of other decks that prey on poo poo like shadow.

I understand that some people will never like having their gameplan disrupted that way and this is not an attempt say they should think differently. also forgive this as a stream of consciousness post :)

Oh, I know on an objective level my feelings are wrong lol, there’s a reason they’ve existed in the game for so long and have been super playable without breaking anything major. It’s purely a personal taste thing- nothing tilts me more than mulliganing and getting my hand attacked.

Deep down, in his darkest moments, Hoot would admit that he doesn’t want Blood Moon gone either I bet :)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sucks that Copter isn't on Arena but I guess we know one card to expect in the next Anthology. Otherwise the Pioneer/Explorer bans make sense. I wonder how mono-G pivots now, maybe just more aggro-ish? The Explorer meta probably just goes back to a lot of RB midrange and whatever other also-ran decks that can sneak in enough wins around it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strong Sauce posted:

Someone on TCGPlayer started buying up Smuggler's Copter right on the unban announcement so it went from $3.3 pre-unban to now $10
edit: $13.99+shipping now

The Fortnite secret lair version has gone from $6 to $50.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

loving cowards didn't unban hymn in pauper, but it's "being considered"

Edit: also swiftspear should've also taken synth with it, that card enables too much bullshit and value in too many decks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Copter being playable much less good in pioneer would be a miracle.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I keep getting bent out of shape about the design balance of sheoldred. like I love the design but I really hate how overtuned it is. I just hate naked power creep, and above rate creatures with no downsides are the platonic ideal of naked, lazy power creep. literally all you'd have to do to make sheoldred defensible is make it 2/5. I mean the real problem is the overall design being so generically good that it crowds out the top end of decks in any format it's legal in, but come on, a double pipped legendary creature is good enough cost to be a 4/5 for 4? booo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

People said the same thing about Siege Rhino and Baneslayer Angel when they were fresh too. Power creep might suck in the abstract, but I suspect without at least a little bit of it, it new sets would be less exciting.

I think 4+ CMC cards are really hard to make fair and playable without being a little oppressive/annoying. When you start paying that much for a creature you really want it to do something impactful, but at that cost it has to be super impactful, but things that are too impactful start to warp the game. It's a tough line to walk between making it strong, but not busted, and I think Sheoldred is mostly on the right side of that.

In other news:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/introducing-timeless-a-new-mtg-arena-format

Timeless is a nonrotating, Constructed format played with 60-card decks where every card on MTG Arena is legal. This includes digital-only cards, the upcoming Khans of Tarkir set release, and any future set releases. Timeless will use the rebalanced versions of all digital-only cards, but the original tabletop printings of all non-digital cards. We hope Timeless will be filled with fast, fun, and exciting games as players will have access to the most powerful cards in MTG Arena.

To contain all these powerful cards, Timeless will be the first format on MTG Arena to have a restricted list. If a card is on the restricted list, only a single copy of that card may be included in your deck and sideboard. Cards will have to earn their place on the banned and restricted list, and only those cards that have proven to be negative fun or far too powerful will be added.

The initial restricted list for Timeless includes only the following three cards:

Channel
Demonic Tutor
Tibalt's Trickery
These cards have earned their place on the restricted list based on their performance in our Historic No Banned List event.

Timeless will be a competitive format, so we are launching it with ranked (Best-of-One) and traditional (Best-of-Three) ranked queues, and an unranked play queue. Ranked play will contribute to a player's Constructed rank in the same way as MTG Arena's other ranked Constructed formats.

There are too many drat formats in this game now, but I think this sounds awesome. I miss casting Nexus of Fate and this sounds like pre-crisis Historic.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 5, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ahaha gently caress you WotC you could've used the non digital clause for Historic and saved everyone so much misery

I'm still hyped for Timeless tho

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

lol, they really don’t value paper and digital play being in sync. :aloom:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
everyone hyped to play brainstorm+fetchlands in a format with unnerfed bowmasters?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening posted:

lol, they really don’t value paper and digital play being in sync. :aloom:

Tbf this values it more than Alchemy and Historic do. This should be the only Arena exclusive format. Pre-Alchemy Historic was awesome because all of the weird poo poo cards they put into the HA packs and Mystical Archives gave it a neat vibe that was different from any other format. It was neat that Arena had its own, cool thing you could play that wasn't just a worse version of Pioneer.

I don't think I'll have the time to set it up, but I'd love to do a pick-em style poll thing where people pick which cards they think are going to get Restricted/Banned first. I bet Time Warp and Nexus eat it fast.

fadam fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 5, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jabor posted:

everyone hyped to play brainstorm+fetchlands in a format with unnerfed bowmasters?

Legacy is great yeah

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

Alchemy cards are legal so are the alchemized Bowmasters the default?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways I'm going to play necropotence you loving losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Alchemy cards are legal so are the alchemized Bowmasters the default?

Negative, digital only cards use whatever the most recent version is, cards that started in paper will always use the paper version (until they get banned or restricted). Unnerfed M+B!

HootTheOwl posted:

Anyways I'm going to play necropotence you loving losers

lol oh yeah I forgot that got reprinted...Maybe that's going to go first.