Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Blaziken386 posted:

the schwarzette rules

It totally does.

Bonus non-plamo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Man, I want that Crossbone X-2 kit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really like parts of its design, the halo, the body, the lil feetie weeties. I dislike that the staves are basically just a sticker display though. But the good part is you can just combine them into one sickass sword.

--
Surugaya's free shipping this weekend again. Trying to decide between Doan's Zaku which looks amazing, or a SD CS Zaku which also looks amazing.

Sadly the Wodom Pod is out of stock so my domehead collection's expansion is postponed.

Try to find a Juaggu for another dome head.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 2, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Phy posted:

Also today is the day I learned Ramba Ral was 35

I knew people looked older in the 70s but goddamn, dude

I learned that from Gundam Build Fighters

The Gouf R35 was also my first gunpla

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

What's the hidden chonker in the background?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

kirbysuperstar posted:

hasegawa is on the shitlist

this is why i'm not going to rebuy the Virtual On kit i bounced off of when i was younger.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Tin Tim posted:

What's the hidden chonker in the background?

Behind the Spinatio Shogun? That's the Shenshu powered armor bear from the Number 57 Manhunter line. He comes with three alternate heads and can thus be assembled as either a chill smiling panda, a cool concentrated polar or an angry grizzley, making me think of We Bare Bears. I like him a lot.

Also, I'm thinking of getting the Lfrith Jiu just for its hand articulation to join the BirdFlip Team.

In other news, I've just finished the 30MM Acerby Type A, and she already stole Shogun's sword. She's great, I think I'm gonna get the B/C Acerbies.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 2, 2023

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Foglet posted:

powered armor bear
A good boi :allears:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Tin Tim posted:

A good boi :allears:

100%, the Manhunter series currently also has a frog, a shark, an aquarium fish and a dino fossil (triceratops / tyrannosaurus / stegosaurus) exoskeletons, but the bear is the best by far in my book.

edit: I'm pretty sure it's weed in the joint.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 2, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really like parts of its design, the halo, the body, the lil feetie weeties. I dislike that the staves are basically just a sticker display though. But the good part is you can just combine them into one sickass sword.

--
Surugaya's free shipping this weekend again. Trying to decide between Doan's Zaku which looks amazing, or a SD CS Zaku which also looks amazing.

Sadly the Wodom Pod is out of stock so my domehead collection's expansion is postponed.
TBH i dont mind the stickers on the wings because they're really solid stickers, way thicker than any other ones i've seen.
also: ive once again fallen for suruga-ya's trick. theyve seduced me.

they had both the last WFM kit i really wanted in stock, AND one of the coolest RG kits. I couldn't say no!!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does HLJ have automatic shipment enabled? I saw an email a while back saying they might enable it, and I've got one item sitting at 0 days until automatic shipping (unfortunately nothing else I've wanted has come in).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No, as far as I can tell, I let stuff sit at 0 for about 90 days and it didn't autoship

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

starting work on the calibarn tonight and i have two initial thoughts on it
1: its very nice
2: bandai please make a MG version. or even a full mechanics version like the aerial. bandai why are you so allergic to doing 1/100 scale kits

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blaziken386 posted:

starting work on the calibarn tonight and i have two initial thoughts on it
1: its very nice
2: bandai please make a MG version. or even a full mechanics version like the aerial. bandai why are you so allergic to doing 1/100 scale kits

Sasuga AGE

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Does HLJ have automatic shipment enabled? I saw an email a while back saying they might enable it, and I've got one item sitting at 0 days until automatic shipping (unfortunately nothing else I've wanted has come in).

No, they'll never actually ship that stuff, it's just to try to scare you into clearing out the stuff they're holding for you. I've had items in private warehouse for over a year in the past.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Sasuga AGE

The numbers have gotten even lower since then, due to changes in Japanese tax law and oil costs. 1/100 kits were still pretty common as recently as Iron Blooded Orphans (14 1/100 kits for that so far, not counting P-Bandai, and the Barbatos is one of the most produced Master Grades period).

Means that there's much less risks taken. Pretty much just guaranteed sellers (like SEED designs shortly before the movie) or the biggest items from upcoming shows (like Kyoukai Senki's two kits for the lead.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Means that there's much less risks taken. Pretty much just guaranteed sellers (like SEED designs shortly before the movie) or the biggest items from upcoming shows (like Kyoukai Senki's two kits for the lead.)

I don't think "Guaranteed sellers" and "Kyoukai Senki" belong in the same sentence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think the fact that Kyoukai Senki has continued to receive model support years after the show ended suggests that this thread's assumption of the unpopularity of the series was inaccurate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bandai's been at a complete loss for what to do with the 1/100 scale for years now. MG releases have essentially tapered down to nothing (you'd be lucky to get more than 3 in any given year since ~2015, and half of the "new" releases are just slight variants of existing kits) as they try to replace the line with literally anything else.

Which is why in the last 8 or so years we've had:
  • the short-lived 1/100 IBO line, which were essentially scaled up HGs with a partial inner frame (and got renamed to Full Mechanics 1/100 in the second IBO season);
  • the short-lived RE/100 line, which were even closer to HGs;
  • the extra expensive HiRM line, which has a total of 6 releases since it started in 2016 (and they seem to get further and further apart, so it's probably going to get killed off or reduced to releasing a new RX-78-2/Unicorn every 3 years);
  • the even more expensive MGEX line, which has had a total of 2 releases since it started in 2020, and which leans hard into being ~premium~ and having ~gimmicks~;
  • the new Full Mechanics line, which is once again somewhere between traditional MG and HG design complexity, and is getting an average of one new release per year.
Except for the IBO line, none of these MG replacements have any kind of coherent release strategy (FM gets... two random extremely minor Seed antagonists, then the Aerial, then a third extremely minor Seed antagonist for some reason? Okay).

At this stage I'm pretty sure Bandai have given up entirely on the scale - why bother making 1/100 kits of anything (except a once-in-a-blue-moon special edition release of the latest protagonist Gundam or Yet Another Unicorn) when HG kits are cheaper to design, cheaper to make, and sell to a much wider audience? Especially now that they've started making completely new HG kits P-Bandai exclusive so people buy directly from them instead of going through a retailer.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 3, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RE/100 was supposed to be a supplement to the MG line, they even had matched releases like the RE/100 0080 Zaku coming out at the same time as the MG Alex

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

I think the fact that Kyoukai Senki has continued to receive model support years after the show ended suggests that this thread's assumption of the unpopularity of the series was inaccurate.

Except the newer models have nothing to do with the property, they've pivoted away from any actual material to try to cater to the 30MM customization market to salvage the line.

There's even machines from the actual series that still have never received kits.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It has gotten new models since the show ended, but I believe all but one of them (the web series MC's suit) are a variant on an already existing kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Justin_Brett posted:

It has gotten new models since the show ended, but I believe all but one of them (the web series MC's suit) are a variant on an already existing kit.

Technically two, kinda three soon; They released a Custom Limb set that had everything but an AMAIM body (and was frankly kinda dumb cause you had to waste a whole AMAIM kit just to get the body to use it), and later just released a full standalone kit of it in darker colours.

Their next kit in the line is yet another Brady, but built for customization as a counterpart to the AMAIM one so mostly unique parts in a Brady design.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/GG9Yo/status/1728278766852682090?t=Y3CFkePAoJ23dpXZ3FtGhw&s=19

Bandai, for God's sake the man is talking sense here. Listen to him.

I just want this. :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except the newer models have nothing to do with the property, they've pivoted away from any actual material to try to cater to the 30MM customization market to salvage the line.

There's even machines from the actual series that still have never received kits.

That seems like a somewhat nonsensical disagreement. If the line was popular enough to get more models because people who didn’t watch the show bought the releases, then that means the line was popular enough. Pivoting to hobbyists with more customizable kits isn’t “salvaging the line”, it’s just pivoting to a different focus now that the show is over.

As many people have pointed out, there are still suits from WfM that didn’t get a kit, but nobody is arguing that means the WfM models were unpopular.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

That seems like a somewhat nonsensical disagreement. If the line was popular enough to get more models because people who didn’t watch the show bought the releases, then that means the line was popular enough. Pivoting to hobbyists with more customizable kits isn’t “salvaging the line”, it’s just pivoting to a different focus now that the show is over.

As many people have pointed out, there are still suits from WfM that didn’t get a kit, but nobody is arguing that means the WfM models were unpopular.

WfM also has a few stray suits missing, but Kyoukei Senki has a whole faction absent in its kit lineup.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Finicky as hell but can't argue with results. B-

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think "Guaranteed sellers" and "Kyoukai Senki" belong in the same sentence.

Thus "biggest items from upcoming shows", yeah. Thanks to Chu Chu's kit, we have a rough estimate on the time from idea to kit production (about a year to final design, going from episode 4 to the announcement of the kit), so there's not time to know if a show will flop. I think Kyoukai Senki did underperform, thus the tiny line for the actually entertaining Synduality show.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hey thread, how the gently caress do you fix broken pieces

i ask, because my lovely loving fingers dropped part of calibarn's knee, and when i scooted back in my chair to look and see where it landed, the wheel of my chair rolled onto it.

thankfully it didn't fully snap apart, but it did get a bit bent out of shape as well, so i am genuinely loving furious right now

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You can get some modeling putty to cover up the crack, sand it smooth once dry, then prime/paint the piece.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depending on how distorted it is, heat can soften it up (or destroy it depending on how much heat) to push it back into shape. You can always use plastic cement to join it back and use rubber bands / clamps to hold together while it sets

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You may be able to just cement the crack and then just leave it in some kind of vise to hold the edges together til it dries
efb

To fill in missing material (like that bigger hole at the end of the crack), in place of modeling putty you can mix bits of the runner with plastic cement to dissolve them and create a plasticy goo that will color-match the piece (since it's made of the exact same plastic).
Fill it in with that goo, wait for it to dry, then sand down.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can i get some display case recs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

People always recommend the Detolf, but I've personally really enjoyed my Milsbo.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blaziken386 posted:

hey thread, how the gently caress do you fix broken pieces

i ask, because my lovely loving fingers dropped part of calibarn's knee, and when i scooted back in my chair to look and see where it landed, the wheel of my chair rolled onto it.

thankfully it didn't fully snap apart, but it did get a bit bent out of shape as well, so i am genuinely loving furious right now

For that I'd start with modeling cement. Specifically, the solvent that looks like water and melts plastic together, not the traditional kind that comes in a foil tube and gets you high while you put together your Airfix Spitfire. Dab some on, hold it together for a minute, and see if it stays together. Don't get any on your fingers or you'll end up with fingerprints in the plastic. Wait a little longer before you sand off the bit of plastic that squeezed out of the seam.

Afterwards you'll be able to decide if it came out well enough or if this is a good time to learn weathering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gnx728t/status/1731629650378637562?t=KRNQJoiT5C67qrckbWdOkA&s=19

Not sure if the fists are big enough.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Are those Zeong hands

Hell yes

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bandai prices past hg ramp to silly levels real fast so its kinda ok for me. Ive noticed a few other companies also try mg/pg tier stuff for much less so they can pick up bandai's slack.

E: oh wow the thread already moved on I was somehow living in the past.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

yeah i paid entirely too much for the PGU rx78-2 but it looks awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just had the horrible realization that being a zeon suit fan is just the anime equivalent of those scale modellers who only do ww2 nazi tanks and im sad now.