Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

i kind of wanna watch Godzilla minus-1 again

and go for the big imax viewing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That reminds me that they recently released new versions of a bunch of the Discworld audiobooks with narrators like Bill Nighy and that sounds great and all but I can't imagine listening to a Discworld audiobook given Pratchett's heavy use of footnote gags, which would really break the flow when listening.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

That reminds me that they recently released new versions of a bunch of the Discworld audiobooks with narrators like Bill Nighy and that sounds great and all but I can't imagine listening to a Discworld audiobook given Pratchett's heavy use of footnote gags, which would really break the flow when listening.

Didn't really bother me that much in the Good Omens one, but I think that has noticeably fewer footnotes than an average Discworld

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't really bother me that much in the Good Omens one

Huh, that's interesting. Still not convinced though because some of my favorite gags in Discworld involve, like, triple-nested footnotes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

drat, Tennant is cast perfectly as Crowley lmao

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Put in for financing for a new car. It’s crazy how much COVID messed the supply chain up. If I was to order what I wanted in my city, i was told it could be a year long wait. I called a city 2 1/2 hours away and they had a model close to what I wanted (I sacrificed getting all wheel drive, but I never had it before so it’s not the end of the world) so I pulled the trigger. It came with things I didn’t want like a cargo net and rack, but I could get it now rather than waiting a year.

Absolutely insane and I see why the used car market is so messed up as well.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

GateOfD posted:

i kind of wanna watch Godzilla minus-1 again

and go for the big imax viewing

Go for it. Tonight was my second viewing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Black Stones posted:

Put in for financing for a new car. It’s crazy how much COVID messed the supply chain up. If I was to order what I wanted in my city, i was told it could be a year long wait. I called a city 2 1/2 hours away and they had a model close to what I wanted (I sacrificed getting all wheel drive, but I never had it before so it’s not the end of the world) so I pulled the trigger. It came with things I didn’t want like a cargo net and rack, but I could get it now rather than waiting a year.

Absolutely insane and I see why the used car market is so messed up as well.

My mom finally got her new Tacoma at the end of October. She'd been on a waiting list for the truck from the dealership for nearly 8 months. The Toyota dealership is at the bottom of the hill from where her house is and items would show up for a single day before getting picked up and driven off. There's absolutely no supply that hasn't already been snapped up.

I want to go see Godzilla Minus One but the only theater playing it right now is on the rear end end of town and it would be a 90 minute bus ride out to go watch it. I was hoping that the downtown independent theater would get it because they usually get a lot of international releases (The Boy and the Heron is coming next week and I'm considering watching it) but alas I might be waiting until the new year for my pissed off Goji fix.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
youtube comments are usually pretty bad but I like the ones on this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV3WPNz4KE4&hd=1

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Godzilla in 2024: I WAS NEVER BOOK SMART I'M MONEY SMART MAKES ME MORE INTELLIGENT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

me and my grandpa went fishing all the time when i was a kid. the river behind his place was basically nothing but catfish. it was ftw.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

me and my grandpa went fishing all the time when i was a kid. the river behind his place was basically nothing but catfish. it was ftw.

hell yea

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember going out on my surrogate uncle's boat for the second time (the first time I freaked out when he started the motor because I'm a huge weenie about noises) and he set up rods for me and my little brother, not expecting much. "Now if the rod starts bending, let me know" he said as he turned around. "Oh like this uncle Jim?" I immediately replied because I'd hooked a bream lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

first bass i caught when i was a kid got wrapped up in weeds and my grandfather waded out into the lake and pulled it out for me. was awesome.

i am now the cool uncle and taught my nieces to fish, they're obsessed and every time they're over they go out on the dock to fish. owns.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I love fishing with my dad

except for that fish that carved up my hand and made it bloody

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

What did the catfish eat? Cannibalism?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

cats

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Clarste posted:

catfish will eat whatever the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

yes actually

i presume there were small aquatic insects also tho

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s funny how bottom feeders who will eat almost anything tend to be pretty tasty (catfish, crustaceans). Wonder why that is?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

It’s funny how bottom feeders who will eat almost anything tend to be pretty tasty (catfish, crustaceans). Wonder why that is?

I assume something with a variety of nutrients should be more appealing to our tastebuds than something with only a few.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

do any animals hug?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

primates do

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cats
source: is hugging me now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

my smaller dog snuggles against me to sleep and also will push his head into my shoulder for a hug if I carry him

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Depends on how you define hugging. Most animals don't really have anatomies conducive to wrapping their limbs around something, but plenty will do what they can to cuddle up to people/each other as close as possible.

Bears hug though, pretty sure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You do not want a bear to hug you, that's their kill move. But all animals have their own ways of showing affection, except like insects, who don't seem to have emotions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bees feel nothing but love.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
then why would they have a weapon

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Love for killing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Thus, killing bites.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Southern Cassowary posted:

catch and release has pretty close to a 100% survival rate per studies unless you gut or gill hook something, at which point survival chance drops to about 75% with proper handling. you can mitigate this by using proper hooks and setting the hook with proper technique when you get a bite - gut hooking is more of a concern with new fishermen who don't set the hook quickly enough or live bait fishing where the fish is more likely to swallow the bait and hook whole.

on a properly hooked fish (this one was through the upper lip cartilage, textbook) the main concern is getting it back in the water quickly and not handling the skin too much, as removing the slime coating on the skin makes them more susceptible to skin infections. i usually handle them by the lip for this reason, but this bass was big enough that you want to handle it with two hands as it'll strain its jaw if you just hold it by the lip.

Source

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
https://twitter.com/Tulta_Icon/status/1731690830866325846

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/writerofscratch/status/1732007746013172182?t=woK9jhBkr9Fv6PWK6Otlmg&s=19

Yeesh, Kadokawa.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're unfamiliar with this book, as I was, the cancellation is a good thing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Obviously it sucks that they decided to translate it in the first place tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is actually incredible because when they announced the translation basically everyone on the jp side of twitter gave them poo poo for it. then their translation announcement twitter went on an insane transphobic screed pulling bs stats out to justify why translating the book is important... and people got angrier at them for blatantly sensationalizing poo poo lol. this is like, kadokawa's biggest pr disaster in a while

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

this is actually incredible because when they announced the translation basically everyone on the jp side of twitter gave them poo poo for it. then their translation announcement twitter went on an insane transphobic screed pulling bs stats out to justify why translating the book is important... and people got angrier at them for blatantly sensationalizing poo poo lol. this is like, kadokawa's biggest pr disaster in a while

Da woke western moralists at it again,,,,smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

Happy ending at least