Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Funky Valentine posted:

Moria getting sacked was pretty clear to be a result of Luffy stomping him (despite Moria being one of the few Warlords who actually did their job at Marineford.)

Luffy's victory definitely contributes, but Moria still kept his title up until the end of Marineford arc rather than immediately after his loss to Luffy. The World Government definitely noticed Moria's losses up to and including Jinbei, and they want to keep the best of the best (as much as they can). Him losing his title and losing his fights are just a smaller part of the fact that he is not as strong as the World Government would want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I know we're supposed to think Alvida is full of herself when she says she's stronger than Whitebeard but when you think about it, which one of them is alive and thriving on the future pirate king's crew again?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Weird idea I dreamed up was Lucci being the one to take down Saturn

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At this point it would feel kind of wrong if Kuma or Bonney didn't get last shot on his rear end. Luffy would also be OK, but I really want to see Saturn eat a massive bear paw to the face.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

At this point it would feel kind of wrong if Kuma or Bonney didn't get last shot on his rear end. Luffy would also be OK, but I really want to see Saturn eat a massive bear paw to the face.

Yeah, usually it's Luffy that ultimately takes down the big bad of an arc but in this case I think Kuma and/or Bonney have more than earned the right to finish off this particular shitbag

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ok, just what was the conflict in Skypeia again? The Shandians wanted to reclaim Upper Yard after the Skypeians took it from them 400 years ago. So... what exactly have the Skypeans been doing with Upper Yard ever since? Theres no houses on it, and the entire jungle is wildly overgrown so its not like its being actively cultivated for food. Dirt is impossible to get in the sky but the only place you see any crops growing is Gan Falls little house.

Are they literally just worshipping it? Its hard to have any sympathy for the modern day Skypeans in this conflict if they havent had 400 years of thier own history on that land

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
IIRC, they were using it for agriculture; I think they even flat-out say it’s one of the few places in the sky islands where they can grow a lot of food, but admittedly it’s been a while since I read all the way through Skypeia.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC, they were using it for agriculture; I think they even flat-out say it’s one of the few places in the sky islands where they can grow a lot of food, but admittedly it’s been a while since I read all the way through Skypeia.

I thought about that but have they just been poo poo out of luck and starving since Enel came in and restricted access? I guess the divine squad could be farming as well as laboring on the Maxim

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yo ho ho!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Ok, just what was the conflict in Skypeia again? The Shandians wanted to reclaim Upper Yard after the Skypeians took it from them 400 years ago. So... what exactly have the Skypeans been doing with Upper Yard ever since? Theres no houses on it, and the entire jungle is wildly overgrown so its not like its being actively cultivated for food. Dirt is impossible to get in the sky but the only place you see any crops growing is Gan Falls little house.

Are they literally just worshipping it? Its hard to have any sympathy for the modern day Skypeans in this conflict if they havent had 400 years of thier own history on that land

timeline:

void century:
shandia is built. it looks like a bustling metropolis even when it is in ruins.
[speculation follows]
it has a giant ship that can be flown in the sky using electricity (i dont think eneru built the ship,) so it’s very advanced. the people who live there, the shandians, have wings. it may have been a sky island during, and prior to, the void century.

800 years ago:
shandians are told to protect the ponyglyph from any and all outsiders. i speculate that the island fell out of the sky and landed in the sea for some unknown reason.

400 years ago:
events of the nolan flashback. shandia is launched back into the sky by the knock-up stream, then lands on a cloud; however, the giant bell gets caught on a giant beanstalk and is lost, giving both nolan’s and kalgara’s bloodlines bell-ringing blue balls.

the skypieans and their leader, whose title is “god,” attempt to annex the new sky island that just appeared and turn it into god’s land, basically the royal capital of slypiea, starting 400 years of conflict between them and the shandians

(i speculate that if shandia was a naturally formed island then the knock-up stream wouldn’t be able to launch it, which would support my supposition that it’s originally from the sky.)

2 years ago:
eneru has taken over the leadership of skypiea and the shandian colonial project. his intention is to destroy both for kicks and fly to the moon. the skypieans work for him because they are liberals who will always follow the rules and he is their boss. meanwhile, the shandians are martyring themselves to reclaim the land of their ancestors. luffy arrives and rings the bell, finally allowing cricket and wyper to cum.

there’s a lot going on in skypiea. but i think if you unfocus your eyes and look at the events, it’s a pretty straightforward story about a land that was colonized due to suddenly being exposed to an unfamiliar world, and the fight of its people to maintain their identities. gan fall admits himself that the skypieans were the bad guys, even if they didn’t understand that they were doing wrong. in any case, i expect a late reveal that shandia was a sky island to begin with and the whole conflict was a misunderstanding due to the events of the void history

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbp posted:

yall think we're going to learn about nami's backstory before she was found?

I often wonder about both Nami's and Brooke's home countries, and whether they'll ever be relevant

Brooke led an unnamed kingdom's battle convoy like 70 years prior to the start of the manga. Come on, that's gotta be referenced at some point, yeah?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Gyges posted:

Or become a baby. Baby Saturn just walking around confused how she managed to rob him of centuries of life.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I sometimes daydream about if ODA would ever use Sugar to retcon the world. Like, one chapter it turns out that after the Navy took Sugar, the WG used her on Luffy's mom who was a world famous princess of a kingdom or something, but she started to rebel and that's why literally no one has ever thought to mention her.

Y'know, basically the Sabo treatment but with a loose reason.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

scary ghost dog posted:

timeline:

void century:
shandia is built. it looks like a bustling metropolis even when it is in ruins.
[speculation follows]
it has a giant ship that can be flown in the sky using electricity (i dont think eneru built the ship,) so it’s very advanced. the people who live there, the shandians, have wings. it may have been a sky island during, and prior to, the void century.

Nope, that was built by Enel. Or, at least, it was designed by Enel, it was built by enslaved Skypieans.

There's a whole bit where... Nami, I think? Or Ussop? Runs around inside wrecking random parts of it, but Enel just casually walks after them fixing it because he knows how it works. Also that's why it runs on electricity and can channel it into a massive island-destroying death ball, it's designed specifically to work with Enel's powers.

e: I tracked down the pages:

This guy was just rescued by Conis and her dad, at the edge of the island.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 5, 2023

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

scary ghost dog posted:

there’s a lot going on in skypiea. but i think if you unfocus your eyes and look at the events, it’s a pretty straightforward story about a land that was colonized due to suddenly being exposed to an unfamiliar world, and the fight of its people to maintain their identities. gan fall admits himself that the skypieans were the bad guys, even if they didn’t understand that they were doing wrong. in any case, i expect a late reveal that shandia was a sky island to begin with and the whole conflict was a misunderstanding due to the events of the void history

The real world analouge would be the US and the native americans but the people of the US have lived on and worked in that land for 400 years. The land has also become a part of thier identity, which is why the solution isnt as easy as 'give it back'.

The Skypeans dont appear to have done poo poo with Upper Yard. They dont live there and any access theyd want for cultivation could certainly be hashed out diplomatically. Like, nobody even found Shandora until Enel came along, it was on the top of a beanstalk! Youd think thatd be the first place a survey team would look! 400 years and they didnt even FIND Shandora? Absolutely no claim to the land at all. This really is a case of 'give it back', it really is that easy.

U-DO Burger posted:

I often wonder about both Nami's and Brooke's home countries, and whether they'll ever be relevant

Brooke led an unnamed kingdom's battle convoy like 70 years prior to the start of the manga. Come on, that's gotta be referenced at some point, yeah?

Brooks kingdom is gonna be relevant just because they said hes from "A certain country" and not like The Boondocks Country of Hick Kingdom or some other throwaway name.

If Namis comes into play im going to start banging the nami is half mermaid drum really hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bellemere did find her abandoned in what looked like a warzone as an infant so there might be a story there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Begemot posted:

Nope, that was built by Enel. Or, at least, it was designed by Enel, it was built by enslaved Skypieans.

There's a whole bit where... Nami, I think? Or Ussop? Runs around inside wrecking random parts of it, but Enel just casually walks after them fixing it because he knows how it works. Also that's why it runs on electricity and can channel it into a massive island-destroying death ball, it's designed specifically to work with Enel's powers.

e: I tracked down the pages:

This guy was just rescued by Conis and her dad, at the edge of the island.

mm i forgot about that. it was sanji who ran around wrecking the ship while usopp rescued nami

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
an important, and confusing, thing to remember with the shandoran timeline is that the shandora that nolan found was already not the shandora of the void century and before. they were living on top of the ruins of that civilization.

so its really like:

ancient shandora with the city of gold -> something happens, new shandora builds on top of the ancient one -> new shandora gets shot up to the sky, skypeia takes their land

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PuttyKnife posted:

Or become a baby. Baby Saturn just walking around confused how she managed to rob him of centuries of life.

Hey they can team up with MHA and have a double baby punching special issue!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Spoilers are getting out for 1101, if you weren’t already aware, so be wary when browsing media! That being said, here is the most important spoiler.

Break next week.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tbp posted:

an important, and confusing, thing to remember with the shandoran timeline is that the shandora that nolan found was already not the shandora of the void century and before. they were living on top of the ruins of that civilization.

so its really like:

ancient shandora with the city of gold -> something happens, new shandora builds on top of the ancient one -> new shandora gets shot up to the sky, skypeia takes their land

if the ancient shandorans WERE skypieans it puts a really nice bow on my theory that it’s not just a colonialism allegory, but specifically a muddied up israel/palestine allegory. skypiea is the levant, upper yard is jerusalem, enel is the west

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

The Skypeans dont appear to have done poo poo with Upper Yard.
It was sacred! The whole thing was a massive, inconceivably holy place to the Skypians.

It was "just" unutilized jungle from our perspective, but what the gently caress is a jungle from the perspective of a people who are in awe of a handful of dirt?

The idea that it was "unused" is a kind of a western colonialist mindset actually. Like the English who came to North America and saw woods instead of fields and figured the Native Americans just didn't know how to use the land, when the land was being used and even managed quite effectively, just for different ways of life.

The Skypians could have cut down all the trees and planted fields of pumpkins, but how could they bear to mar the natural products of divine Vearth? So what did they use it for instead? The same thing any grand temple or cathedral is used for- proof that the ruling classes have divine backing. That's not a small thing in any hierarchical state society! For any small number to rule a large number you need a really good story or it just won't work. Well, the gods of Skypia now had in their possession an absolutely incomprehensible source of divine life. "Utilization" and economics don't enter into it.

And for what it's worth the Shandian argument for the return of Upper Yard was similarly divorced from economics. They hadn't relied on the use of forest resources for hundreds of years. It was every bit as much a sacred symbol to them as it was to the Skypians. Waipa is incensed when Gan Fall explains that he loves pumpkin juice. Bringing in the economic or material aspects of the conflict are offensive to him.

It's only after peace is established, and the ruling classes of Skypia no longer back up their absolute authority by possessing vast amounts of Vearth, does cultivation and material use of the land for everyone's benefit really kick off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how did enel breathe in space

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Jose posted:

Enel is on the same moon that can be traveled to via balloon if you’re light enough.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

space being breathable will be a major plot point

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

Do Logia’s even need to breath?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

no sea in space. safest place in the universe for them really

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

Do Logia’s even need to breath?

There were also space pirates on the moon, without space suits.

Space just has breathable air in One Piece, it's fine, don't worry about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jose posted:

With his heart, next question.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

He took a propeller plane to the moon, so obviously there was air the whole way there.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Jose posted:

If you’re worried about he eats and breathes, and other science facts….lalala

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lpzie posted:

space being breathable will be a major plot point

yeah

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
People don't breathe air, the breathe dreams. So obviously it's no trouble to be in the dream rich location of space.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

enel doesn't know there's no air in space so he's okay

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
This arc is brutal. Seeing that Kuman is truly selfless man and loving father, who sacrificed everything for his daughter is so tragic.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Funky Valentine posted:

With his heart, next question.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
His soul was no longer weighed down by gravity, so he could actually breathe MORE easily than he could in the Sky Islands.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That's the neat part: he doesn't.

https://twitter.com/themetalhiro/status/1731828001967341622?t=ICZO2ebV536w39wtmgpHJQ&s=19

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This arc is so brutal that I predict Sanji will gain his final power-up, the revelation that All Meat is Food and Cannibal Sanji is unlocked.

Cannibal Sanji is beyond pirate king tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

I assumed that logias just don't need to breathe, so long as they're in a medium that can support their element.