Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think people forget how good the AHL is, a lot of those top end AHL lifer guys could easily play complimentary offensive minutes in the NHL, they just rarely get an extended chance because of the kinds of players NHL teams generally prefer in the bottom six.

Reminds me of how good Brian Gibbons looked at times for Pittsburgh and New Jersey.

e: Also speaking of the AHL, Brandt Clarke is up to 20 points in 20 games. The Kings lost Durzi and Walker and are still Doughty/Roy/Spence/Clarke on the right lol

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The AHL top scorer list is routinely filled with relatively old lifers over top prospects.

Sometimes that's a matter of games played since a prospect might bounce up and down, but also those guys are still some of the best hockey players in the world. They're just not in the top ~800.

Every single one of them is better than Ryan Reaves though.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Aphrodite posted:

The AHL top scorer list is routinely filled with relatively old lifers over top prospects.

Sometimes that's a matter of games played since a prospect might bounce up and down, but also those guys are still some of the best hockey players in the world. They're just not in the top ~800.

Every single one of them is better than Ryan Reaves though.

Brodzinki was/is the leading AHL scorer pretty much (25 points in 16 games versus the leader is 26 points in19 games)
This is his most productive season so far though and yeah he's kinda that weird spot of really good AHL player but not thought of as a real top six NHL player and he's not young anymore per sports years

Am totally ahppy for himt o come up and put do some good next to kreider an zbad though

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

Brodzinki was/is the leading AHL scorer pretty much (25 points in 16 games versus the leader is 26 points in19 games)
This is his most productive season so far though and yeah he's kinda that weird spot of really good AHL player but not thought of as a real top six NHL player and he's not young anymore per sports years

Am totally ahppy for himt o come up and put do some good next to kreider an zbad though

I think it helps we don't have a caveman coach who thinks he only belongs stapled to Goodrow on the 4th line, lets him learn from mistakes, and actually coaches a system.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
None of this matters, tonight is the Hughes Bowl

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

kill me now posted:

The islanders have Oliver Wahlstrom
Former 11th overall pick
23yo
Currently languishing on the 3rd line
2023-2024 statline
17gp 2g 3a 5pt -5+/-

The Oilers twitter-verse (x-verse?) seem to believe the Oilers will be after a forward if anything, so maybe Wahlstrom is a good fit. I think Broberg would be a good fit on a structured team like the Islanders.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Szechwan posted:

gently caress 'em

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

I think it helps we don't have a caveman coach who thinks he only belongs stapled to Goodrow on the 4th line, lets him learn from mistakes, and actually coaches a system.

Gallant was so very much a "chemstry" coach and just hoped guys would make it work rather than giv e them a framework to work withing. It's werid to give Lavy all this praise but honestlyt he is a pretty good coach overall. I gave him poo poo when he was on the flyers for being an all in attacking offense guy but I was probably thinking of it more how he encourages the D to jump in a lot which is pretty modern NHL coaching at this point and he's all for defending propely to encourager tunovers and transition offense

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
there's generally a handful of guys in the AHL who could turn into kinda like Jonathan Marchessault. He pretty much has/had the exact statistical profile of all of those guys. Tampa recognized this and did it with Cory Conacher (who actually had the best AHL stats out of all of them), Tyler Johnson, Marchessault, Yanni Gourde, I'm sure probably others I'm forgetting.. As T-Bone said, they're not going to be guys that carry, but I wouldn't be shocked if any of those bubble guys could play third wheel to Zibanejad-Kreider or Crosby-Kunitz or Thornton-Heatley or any of those types of combos.

I think (as with most things) a lot of teams are stuck in the 90s and think that if a smaller guy is lighting up the AHL but hasn't stuck, it's because they're not big/gritty/good enough to play in the NHL in the top 6 and especially not big/gritty/whatever enough to play on the 3rd/4th line. Whatever team figures this out and plugs in AHL skill guys as third wheels repeatably while spending money on core star duos is going to have a pretty good advantage. My heart weeps though for the Darren Haydars of the world born tragically 10-15 years too early. There but for the grace of God go the Hugheses

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Remember when everyone was obsessed with Rob Schremp

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

The Oilers twitter-verse (x-verse?) seem to believe the Oilers will be after a forward if anything, so maybe Wahlstrom is a good fit. I think Broberg would be a good fit on a structured team like the Islanders.

Broberg is 33-31 in GF over his oilers career, even if its mostly been in a sheltered role. His biggest problem has been he keeps getting moved around between the AHL and NHL and so he never gets to play games. He's been playing ~50 games a year which is just criminal for a top prospect.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Szechwan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epSgm8lmos&t=104s

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Broberg strikes me as exactly the kind of player who will thrive once he's actually given a chance somewhere. Defensemen generally seem to take longer too. Seems like Edmonton trading him would be a bad idea, so they probably will.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's very skilled, he just needs to play actual games somewhere to see what he actually is. But I don't doubt that he's a bottom pairing guy RIGHT NOW. Trade Kulak instead.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

there's generally a handful of guys in the AHL who could turn into kinda like Jonathan Marchessault. He pretty much has/had the exact statistical profile of all of those guys. Tampa recognized this and did it with Cory Conacher (who actually had the best AHL stats out of all of them), Tyler Johnson, Marchessault, Yanni Gourde, I'm sure probably others I'm forgetting.. As T-Bone said, they're not going to be guys that carry, but I wouldn't be shocked if any of those bubble guys could play third wheel to Zibanejad-Kreider or Crosby-Kunitz or Thornton-Heatley or any of those types of combos.

I think (as with most things) a lot of teams are stuck in the 90s and think that if a smaller guy is lighting up the AHL but hasn't stuck, it's because they're not big/gritty/good enough to play in the NHL in the top 6 and especially not big/gritty/whatever enough to play on the 3rd/4th line. Whatever team figures this out and plugs in AHL skill guys as third wheels repeatably while spending money on core star duos is going to have a pretty good advantage. My heart weeps though for the Darren Haydars of the world born tragically 10-15 years too early. There but for the grace of God go the Hugheses

I'll always be pissed the rangers passed on marschessault because of fuckin' torts or whatever

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I'll always be pissed the rangers passed on marschessault because of fuckin' torts or whatever

I mean yeah but I also can’t blame him too much. 29 teams could have figured it out. I remember thinking “drat that’s a lot of points” but also you could have made the case about Jason Krog. and plenty of other guys. and someone probably should have.

It’s a miracle we got Zuke, especially after he went overseas after his first stint. An undrafted tiny not-so-fast playmaker. Thankfully he’s so nasty defensively too that coaches saw his usefulness on any line. And he was worth an extra few points a year on the shootout.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's crazy how long people held on to the "small guys can't be that good" thing. I remember arguing for weeks with some guy on here for weeks that Johnny Gaudreau's ceiling was much higher than "Tyler Ennis"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I mean yeah but I also can’t blame him too much. 29 teams could have figured it out. I remember thinking “drat that’s a lot of points” but also you could have made the case about Jason Krog. and plenty of other guys. and someone probably should have.

It’s a miracle we got Zuke, especially after he went overseas after his first stint. An undrafted tiny not-so-fast playmaker. Thankfully he’s so nasty defensively too that coaches saw his usefulness on any line. And he was worth an extra few points a year on the shootout.

They had marchessault in their system though and just said"nah this guy sucks" thou and let him go

i guess yeah it wasn't a clear cut "this guy is awesome" but still stings

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

Gallant was so very much a "chemstry" coach and just hoped guys would make it work rather than giv e them a framework to work withing. It's werid to give Lavy all this praise but honestlyt he is a pretty good coach overall. I gave him poo poo when he was on the flyers for being an all in attacking offense guy but I was probably thinking of it more how he encourages the D to jump in a lot which is pretty modern NHL coaching at this point and he's all for defending propely to encourager tunovers and transition offense

Excuse me, Lavvy was not exclusively an offensive first coach in Philly.

https://youtu.be/mjXclnt1wAI?si=zMkQdyqMa8Qs499t

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I always thought Laviolette was a good coach in terms of implementing modern systems. He was just terrible in terms of player evaluation on Washington and he seemed worse than the average coach in terms of hating younger players.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers trash tonight but this was :lol:

https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/1732221175353258352

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

it's too bad Lucic only runs women these days

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Very upset that the Sharks won but I just can't be mad at Hertl throwing down a hatty.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hasek coming out WOOOOOAH

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
What was he supposed to do!!!???

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Remember when everyone was obsessed with Rob Schremp

He would have thrived in today's game I tells ya :argh:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Habibi posted:

Very upset that the Sharks won but I just can't be mad at Hertl throwing down a hatty.

Same. Going to the game next week because tickets are $14 on Gametime.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
gently caress

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Duckman2008 posted:

I can’t remember if it was 2020 or 2021, but one of those playoffs half the team got covid right before the playoffs because some of the dumbasses decided they just had to go to some bars during the middle of covid loving people up, and I think before they had the vaccine (so prob that 2020 playoffs).

That said. Yes.

Wouldn't the whole bubble concept have made going to a bar impossible that first year? Or am I mistakenly applying what the Canadian division did to the other three?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

kalensc posted:

Wouldn't the whole bubble concept have made going to a bar impossible that first year? Or am I mistakenly applying what the Canadian division did to the other three?

The Canadian division was the year after.

I don't remember what rules specifically prevented the NHL from operating in Canada during the playoffs (though lockdowns were in full effect), but the bubble playoff proposal was needed to get them an exemption and allow them to run at all. (Cross-border travel would have been impossible with the requisite quarantine period, I'm sure there were some restrictions around in-country travel as well.)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

To be fair, he wasn't getting any help from the guys in front of them all night, so he was playing the puck a lot. Sens goalie looked great, but oh man, they just took way too many ridiculous risks starting in the second period and got burned on a lot of them. Third game in four days, which doesn't help, though the Sens had two days off after a back-to-back. Somehow, the Sens have also played fewer games than every other team - that was their 20th, while others range from 22-27.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Media_Sens/status/1732407140206428666

Oh this should go well!!!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Never heard of him.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Senior Advisor to the Coaching Staff lmao holy poo poo Staois just loving fire them already

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Hughes and Hughes won the Hughes Bowl

e: Good showing by Hughes though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
East coast so I don't see him much but poo poo is Quinn good.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s impressive how well the Canucks are doing with Tyler Myers playing 18-20 minutes a night. Almost every goal against he’s somewhere on the ice wildly out of position

Not sure who to credit for coining the nickname Chaos Giraffe but it’s accurate

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Buffalo Sabres are currently in position to draft 6th overall, going by points %.

Yeah, that checks out. This team is garbage.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Senior Advisor Advising Seniorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I remember Martin for adamantly refusing to be a head coach so him being hired as what otherwise would very transparently be for the purpose of soon replacing DJ Smith is odd.

Also, he is, or was, a good coach. Why's he slumming it in Ottawa?