Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scarodactyl posted:

Does anyone know what her deal is? I cannot tell if or when she is joking about anything or how concerned I should be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_tunneling

combine with power tools and influencer society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Scarodactyl posted:

Does anyone know what her deal is? I cannot tell if or when she is joking about anything or how concerned I should be.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna125000

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PainterofCrap posted:

Please tell me that she ain't gonna be down there when the tomb tunnel pour happens

the yeti posted:

You surely can’t diy that right, so the pump crew is gonna get there, look at that and go sure seems fine?

She’s done a big pour before.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7260607014303190315

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wha

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I wish I could find this one hobby tunneler YouTube channel again, some German (?) guy digging a huge underground lair by himself by hand, seemingly as a residence, no talking and lots of techno, where I left off he was trying to cast copper throwing knives.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Several years ago there was a goon that wanted to build and underground rape dungeon "server room" in his backyard. Digging by hand, in soil that is known as "Texas Hardpan".

The thread was closed, and I don't recall the conclusion to it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If we're going to suck the earth dry we might as well burrow in like the sick scabies mites we are.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

According to this hobby tunnelling has been male dominated for centuries. Good on Tunnel Girl for caving in that glass ceiling.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

According to this hobby tunnelling has been male dominated for centuries. Good on Tunnel Girl for caving in that glass ceiling.

:lol::lol:

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
every time one of her videos gets posted all the armchair engineers prophesy doom. I have no idea if what she's doing is safe, but I'm willing to bet she has a better idea than I do. I think she's great

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can't imagine using what appears to be a handheld massage gun to rap against the side of her formwork as a concrete vibrator is exactly to spec but you use what you have I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
https://youtube.com/watch?v=OOFOxDiOgEA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Azza Bamboo posted:

If we're going to suck the earth dry we might as well burrow in like the sick scabies mites we are.

Of course Hamas is way ahead of the curve.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course Hamas is way ahead of the curve.
You gotta hand it to Hamas.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Several years ago there was a goon that wanted to build and underground rape dungeon "server room" in his backyard. Digging by hand, in soil that is known as "Texas Hardpan".

The thread was closed, and I don't recall the conclusion to it.

He was very upset when people with experience in excavation explained how likely he was to hurt himself while digging his party hole.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Danhenge posted:

He was very upset when people with experience in excavation explained how likely he was to hurt himself while digging his party hole.

Tragically that’s too long for a thread title

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bring it back to when BYOB was titled "BYOB: Bury Your Own Body"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Danhenge posted:

Yeah I didn't make it to the thread before it was closed but I've shovelled my share of dirt and its definitely a lot of work even when it's already disturbed. Let alone when it's undisturbed. A small excavator to rent would have been better. But that was too expensive, or not fun enough or something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Bring it back to when BYOB was titled "BYOB: Bury Your Own Body"

I have buried my grandaunt by hand. Not by myself, mind you, the whole congregation was there shoveling. The hole was already there, we just filled it.

In the process we met the bones of her husband, which had been picked up by the excavator.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nenonen posted:

I have buried my grandaunt by hand. Not by myself, mind you, the whole congregation was there shoveling. The hole was already there, we just filled it.

In the process we met the bones of her husband, which had been picked up by the excavator.

If you get buried with extra bones you get a better shot at your own cloud in heaven.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

If you get buried with extra bones you get a better shot at your own cloud in heaven.

Gonna gently caress some poo poo up in the skeleton wars by turning up with 4 arms and 6 legs.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
https://fxtwitter.com/bubblegumoctopu/status/1731568478505611419?s=12&t=1RQgZ4QHk_etetAjH_A42g

Walmart taking food out of the mouths of artisanal suicide cord makers by just selling you one outright.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

https://fxtwitter.com/bubblegumoctopu/status/1731568478505611419?s=12&t=1RQgZ4QHk_etetAjH_A42g

Walmart taking food out of the mouths of artisanal suicide cord makers by just selling you one outright.

Walmart is basically Amazon now, that's some 3rd party seller

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Looks like Walmart.com to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Walmart is basically Amazon, Amazon is basically eBay, and eBay is basically AliExpress.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 5, 2023

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Scarodactyl posted:

the phrase "secret underground lair" really resonates with some people

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Walmart is basically Amazon, Amazon, is basically eBay, and eBay is basically AliExpress.

Facebook Marketplace and LetGo are now eBay.
We've fallen so far.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Aliexpress is now temu and temu is now wish

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Just Winging It posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know if this tunnel guy hit the national news or if it stayed regional

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/09/08/paranoid-tech-bro-homemade-nuclear-bunker-shocking-death-askia-khafra-daniel-beckwitt/

It has literally everything ranging from "he rode around in the back of a van with blackout goggles for SECRECY" to a guy dealing out crypto advice while wearing a fire proof suit to a guy who called himself Dick Rocket. There's even a Peter Thiel cameo!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wonder if these things are just a (much) earlier manifestation of this hobby.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well I was hoping to buy a piece of land one day and dig a root cellar, but now you guys are making me self conscious.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dig a root cellar = have a couple of beers during a game
Become a TUNNEL GUY = your blood is mainly Thunderbird

Everything in moderation

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Danhenge posted:

Turns out engineering for confined spaces is actually really hard, and doing it right is really expensive, and if you fall down and hurt yourself, the fire department is gonna shout advise to you for the half hour it takes them to get the confined space team out and geared up to come grab your stupid rear end.

Then they're gonna give you a mid 5-figgies bill for the opportunity!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm reminded of a guy who decided to buy a used cargo container and bury it in his back yard as a "party bunker". No reinforcement to handle the weight of the dirt, no ventilation, just a single hatch in the roof. I gather that, after being told just how stupid he was being, he did some significant re-engineering to add reinforcement and ventilation and make the exit easier to access, but I dunno if it was ever actually safe.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Every time I see DIY bunker poo poo I just think to myself that carbon dioxide weighs more than oxygen and I'd never trust myself (let alone some random idiot on the internet) to set up the proper ventilation to prevent it from becoming a makeshift tomb.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

8one6 posted:

Every time I see DIY bunker poo poo I just think to myself that carbon dioxide weighs more than oxygen and I'd never trust myself (let alone some random idiot on the internet) to set up the proper ventilation to prevent it from becoming a makeshift tomb.

Is a bunker any worse than a basement though?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7309265251223227694

lmao “shaving” an inch off the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The sequence from 0:30-0:35 tells quite the story about the quality of her ventilation system:

No discernible air movement except for the plume from the cutting wheel when there should be a steady flow sufficient to keep the air clear. She also should have a lifeline attached and someone else at the other end of it ready to drag her out of the hole if she were to fall unconscious or be injured.