Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah i am a dumbass lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
God WG Sebald is so good

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I want to read rings of saturn, austerlitz was wonderful

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Rings of Saturn is a beautiful book. I’m reading the emigrants at the moment and it kicks rear end too.

He’s one of those writers who creates an atmosphere and a mood so powerful that it makes everything which doesn’t fit into that mood, everything un-Sebaldian, seem temporarily unreal.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ulvir posted:

I want to read rings of saturn, austerlitz was wonderful

It really was. If only the English had some semblance of honor and dignity and could have come to terms instead of inducing more pointless war. Sad really

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Lobster Henry posted:

God WG Sebald is so good

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its probably why i never read ulysses because all i heard about is its super hard to read and just about some dude becoming a cuckold or something.

It's a book about walking around Dublin.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i like purple prose and extreamly emotionally descriptive writing, one of my favorite books is the last unicorn and most of that is stuff high school me would have called pretentious as gently caress and it can be but like works because you give a poo poo about the writing and makes the feelings and places feel real even when the book purposely vague on its world and details because none of that matters really to the story.

Dumas is fun because its just kinda of weird peak into literature from 100 plus years ago but not the uber ART kind

My issue is when i tried reading mobey dick and i understood and liked it because it feels like your in a seamens bar listening to some old sailor go on a very very long story with tons of tangents. the issue is the story just kinda goes up its own rear end. which ehh. its probably why i never read ulysses because all i heard about is its super hard to read and just about some dude becoming a cuckold or something.

it's fine, most people have not read ulysses. although you owe it to yourself to at least try at some point

if you can't get through it then it can look impressive on your bookshelf next to the also-unfinished copy of infinite jest

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

I mean the whole Arthurian lit is 200% a fanfiction project. "Here come my OC Perceval, please don't copy!"- Chretien de Troy

no it isn't

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It makes me sad when people talk about things in the past as if it's just whatever modern bullshit thing. Arthurian lit is not fan fiction, Shakespeare is not the equivalent of prestige TV, heroic legends are not comparable to Marvel movies, or whatever inane loving thing people trot out when they want to be either dismissive of classics or trying to elevate their dumb nerd poo poo, whichever it is

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I mean, I get it, you don't want to see actual classics compared to terrible bullshit. But nevertheless people adding to the arthurian canon and people writing fanfic about holmes and watson (the ones from the lovely show) kissing are doing the same thing.

Both acts arise from the human impulse to expand upon stories that resonated with them. Both come from a place of love. The only difference is the level of quality. I don't think anybody here would dispute that a story that was written eight hundred loving years ago and which is still remembered is better than something a teenager dropped on ao3 last week.

Personally I find it beautiful that people have always loved stories, and that our literary canon is a vital, living thing up to the present moment.

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 6, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Heath posted:

It makes me sad when people talk about things in the past as if it's just whatever modern bullshit thing. Arthurian lit is not fan fiction, Shakespeare is not the equivalent of prestige TV, heroic legends are not comparable to Marvel movies, or whatever inane loving thing people trot out when they want to be either dismissive of classics or trying to elevate their dumb nerd poo poo, whichever it is

Reductionist thinking in general is so incredibly tiring. I don't even think it's intentional, most people are so intellectually disinclined they cannot actually discern between art and garbage; same thinking that leads to cringe garbage like people comparing the dictator du jour to voldermort or themselves, unironically, to the rebels in Star Wars.

sharkmafia posted:

I mean, I get it, you don't want to see actual classics compared to terrible bullshit. But nevertheless people adding to the arthurian canon and people writing fanfic about holmes and watson (the ones from the lovely show) kissing are doing the same thing.

Both acts arise from the human impulse to expand upon stories that resonated with them. Both come from a place of love. The only difference is the level of quality. I don't think anybody here would dispute that a story that was written eight hundred loving years ago and which is still remembered is better than something a teenager dropped on ao3 last week.

Personally I find it beautiful that people have always loved stories, and that our literary canon is a vital, living thing up to the present moment.

I don't think it's beautiful. I think people should do what the classical peoples did and spend their time composing works of beauty about deep theological and philosophical subjects instead of masturbatory garbage. I find your comparing Le Mort d'Arthur to slashfic to be repulsive.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think it's beautiful. I think people should do what the classical peoples did and spend their time composing works of beauty about deep theological and philosophical subjects instead of masturbatory garbage. I find your comparing Le Mort d'Arthur to slashfic to be repulsive.

That's fine. What I would say about that is that what is actually remembered are the examples of the works of a given era that are worth remembering. This discussion started with people talking about other authors writing what was essentially fanfic about the count of monte cristo. These stories aren't remembered, at least not usually. Point being, lovely fanfic has always been a thing too.

I don't really see the point of putting the classics on such a pedestal that the universal nature of the human urge to create is not acknowledged. I respect fanfic writers, because they are creating. They aren't doing it well, but the nobility of the act is there nonetheless. And it's not as if there's any actual danger of people mistaking slashfic for classics in any case.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If there’s such a clear distinction between art and garbage, it should be easy to provide a definition of art that will also exclude all garbage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

That's fine. What I would say about that is that what is actually remembered are the examples of the works of a given era that are worth remembering. This discussion started with people talking about other authors writing what was essentially fanfic about the count of monte cristo. These stories aren't remembered, at least not usually. Point being, lovely fanfic has always been a thing too.

I don't really see the point of putting the classics on such a pedestal that the universal nature of the human urge to create is not acknowledged. I respect fanfic writers, because they are creating. They aren't doing it well, but the nobility of the act is there nonetheless. And it's not as if there's any actual danger of people mistaking slashfic for classics in any case.

This is about literature not tee ball, we don't need participation trophies. For the second point, there is a danger, we are in a world where people are arguing that Scorsese's work is comparable to factory churned marvel slop and that New York Times bestseller is a mark of quality. People who consume only the simplest works are at a grave danger of babybossism, we need to make hard distinctions to disabuse them of their idiocy.

Let us put it this way, creation by itself is not worth celebrating. The advance of your own abilities by putting in the work is fine. Ronnie didn't start out Mr.Olympia, he had to put the work in. But he wouldn't be the GOAT if he had stayed repping out 235 x 5 in bench; if you aren't willing to push it to the limit why should anyone care. Faust is not a work of art because Goethe slapped together the Faust tale with some slapdash theology and his own predilections, it's art because the man poured his heart and soul into the work, examining life, culture, love, and loss at the highest level through utilization of the Faust tale.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 6, 2023

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think creating is a 'noble act' just by default. Nor has it ever been. Read 100 days of Sodom and tell me that is noble in any way. Most 'creators' are and have always been wasting the time and energy of everyone who encounters their 'work'

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

This is about literature not tee ball, we don't need participation trophies. For the second point, there is a danger, we are in a world where people are arguing that Scorsese's work is comparable to factory churned marvel slop and that New York Times bestseller is a mark of quality. People who consume only the simplest works are at a grave danger of babybossism, we need to make hard distinctions to disabuse them of their idiocy.

'Disabusing them of their idiocy' is a sisyphean task. The people who like trash aren't going to stop liking trash because you tell them it's trash.

Also, per my previous point, I think you overestimate the danger. Bad writing has never stood the test of time before, so why should it do so now? The only difference in the modern era is that the democratization of literacy and platforms has allowed anyone to be a writer. That is, in the most literal sense of the word: that they may write. A deluge of trash should be expected, but there's no particular basis for thinking that much of it will stick around for long.

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 6, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Heath posted:

sorry, can't make this the thread title, just too long

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm just so tired of all these star wars.

ed

sharkmafia posted:

A deluge of trash should be expected, but there's no particular basis for thinking that much of it will stick around for long.
Plenty of terrible ideas have persisted for centuries. We don't need to add to the pile.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 6, 2023

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Heath posted:

It's a book about walking around Dublin.

Ulysses is the Shenmue of literature

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the nausicaa challenge, but as a QTE

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

"Personally I find it beautiful that people have always loved stories" read the sluts by dennis cooper

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The word 'stories' sets off the disney alarms in my brain

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Old thread yells at clouds

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
When I hear the word entertainment, I reach for my gun.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

I don't think creating is a 'noble act' just by default. Nor has it ever been. Read 100 days of Sodom and tell me that is noble in any way.

The Marquis would be delighted to hear you say that. He longed to be more criminal than he was, indeed he longed to be more criminal than was possible.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Reductionist thinking in general is so incredibly tiring. I don't even think it's intentional, most people are so intellectually disinclined they cannot actually discern between art and garbage; same thinking that leads to cringe garbage like people comparing the dictator du jour to voldermort or themselves, unironically, to the rebels in Star Wars.

Who are "the classical peoples."

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't think that fanfiction and books should be considered the same medium, nor do I think a derivative work constitutes fanfiction if it doesn't come from fandom.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Heath posted:

I mean i agree but i also think some teachers do an awful job making classics click with people. instead of reading it or watching a play and figuring it out with some help and coming to your own conclusions, its almost always "why are things yellow in the great gatsby, now read the book as word search and write this paper".

Atrocious Joe posted:

also thats the kinda poo poo that also hurts teaching classics, I dont disagree with "read a different book or movie" but you can like both things and sometimes making weirc comparisons helps people understand greater work, just spitting on them as intilectual philistines will just make them hate classics and you. you have to meet folks half way on some stuff like this.(not you joe, the other person)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Usually the top half of the paint sample card.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Solitair posted:

I don't think that fanfiction and books should be considered the same medium, nor do I think a derivative work constitutes fanfiction if it doesn't come from fandom.

Obviously fandom is a very modern word which can’t literally be applied to, like, Thomas Malory; but when you make this distinction between derivative works and fan fiction, are you defining “fandom” more narrowly than “a group of enthusiasts”?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"fandom" is imo an Internet age thing. A specific culture of personal investment in an Intellectual Property

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Heath posted:

"fandom" is imo an Internet age thing. A specific culture of personal investment in an Intellectual Property

It pre-dates widespread internet adoption by decades. Like if we leave aside things like people anxiously lining up to get spoilers for the latest installment of Dickens or whatever, Star Trek is pretty much the ur-Fandom in the sense you're talking about, and that was well-established through newsletters, zines, and in-person meetings before it obviously got translated over to the internet. There's all the "fans are slans!" stuff too, which was equally invested and tribal and weird, just with not as much of a focus on production.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Atrocious Joe posted:

The ones who wrote about deep theological and philosophical subjects.

Lobster Henry posted:

Obviously fandom is a very modern word which can’t literally be applied to, like, Thomas Malory; but when you make this distinction between derivative works and fan fiction, are you defining “fandom” more narrowly than “a group of enthusiasts”?
It's self-evidently distinct. It's driven by consumption as identity, a community of practice in which the practice is the act of investment. It's not about enjoying things but about being gratified and validated in enjoying things. There are many things that I enjoy, that I love, but the idea of participating in fandom has never crossed my mind because I love these things for what they are, not for the warm fuzzies of other people liking them (and most of them don't have fandoms as such anyway).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 6, 2023

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Like sports

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
personally i dont lose my marbles over simple comparisons, i also dont throw myself in front of the classical peoples like the fanfiction sedan's going to run them down

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's self-evidently distinct. It's driven by consumption as identity, a community of practice in which the practice is the act of investment.

But how can we say that identity is defined purely by consumption, and practice consists merely of investment, if fan fiction is being produced?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Heath posted:

When those comparisons are useful, they're not saying there's a qualitative equivalence, saying the new stuff is "good art" by association, but a formal similarity: Arthurian lit reworks existing characters into new forms by reading those characters differently, much like how fan fiction might. Does that mean a given piece of fan fiction is by definition as ambitious as The Once And Future King? No, that would depend on the effort put into writing that fan fiction. However, the comparison does give you an understanding of how Once And Future King approached its influences and how you might do the same.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lobster Henry posted:

But how can we say that identity is defined purely by consumption, and practice consists merely of investment, if fan fiction is being produced?
Nobody's saying that; "driven by" and "defined purely by" are very different ideas. You've also reframed "practice" from the foundation of the community to anything done by its members – people aren't fans because they write fanfiction; they write fanfiction because they're fans. I'm talking about the basic motives that drive fandom and its expressions, which are not the same as those underpinning derivative works outside such a context.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Maybe you’re right, but I still think it’s a bit of a restrictive definition. There are many different kinds of fandom: there are highly intelligent and literate fans, and there are funko pop collectors, and many shades in between.

Pragmatically, I think you have to shift the emphasis away from generalisations about fan psychology, and back to what shapes these cultures to begin with: modern copyright law, and in particular corporate ownership of stories. I think the only difference between fan fiction and derivative work is the former exists in relation to an “official” version in strictly legal and financial terms. Unfortunately, these terms have quite a lot of power to shape our imaginations.