Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

sebmojo posted:

LMAO: lyctorize me at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gimme dat step 6 link

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

redleader posted:

gimme dat step 6 link

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937069&pagenumber=89&perpage=40

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

sebmojo posted:

yeah he'd be a fun guy to have a beer with, couple of laughs, maybe a quick relentless ten thousand year vengeance campaign

Look, dude knows how to really nurse a grudge and as a champion grudge-holder I gotta give respect where it's due.

Lyctorize Me At Once holy poo poo.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

How's everyone holding up?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I thought it was summer 25 release?

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Collateral posted:

I thought it was summer 25 release?

Has there been an official update?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Still no official release announcement. Only placeholder dates on sales pages

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Happy Landfill posted:

Still trying to parse Nona the Ninth, thanks.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

lines posted:

Oh it's going to be so exciting when he gets his comeuppance. I wonder what form that will take?

Series ending spoilers:

”Oh, Harrow, that’s it! My big mistake was bringing you all together, having you learn the eightfold word together. Next time I’ll spread you out so it’s more of a slow burn.”

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 4, 2023

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Velius posted:

Series ending spoilers:

”Oh, Harrow, that’s it! My big mistake was bringing you all together, having you learn the eightfold word together. Next time I’ll spread you out so it’s more of a slow burn.”

Think of how much could have gone differently if he'd clearly started his call for new lyctors with, "I want you all to work together on this and elevate each other. I desire a full cohort."

Probably not that much different given the people involved, but maybe a little.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I want 3 things out of life:
1 - To be known as Necrolord Prime
2 - An expanding empire based on planet killing and revenge
3 - Healthy, supportive friends

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

4 - Alecto the Ninth to come out

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

disposablewords posted:

Think of how much could have gone differently if he'd clearly started his call for new lyctors with, "I want you all to work together on this and elevate each other. I desire a full cohort."

I continue to wonder to this day exactly what he expected out of that setup.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I want 3 things out of life:
1 - To be known as Necrolord Prime
2 - An expanding empire based on planet killing and revenge
3 - Healthy, supportive friends

See this is why I'm still Team John

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Rand Brittain posted:

I continue to wonder to this day exactly what he expected out of that setup.

I do wonder if he had an overestimation of people's opinion of him as emperor 10k years and one unending war after the initial batch. Sure these new potential lyctors loved him, but did they love him as much as his original followers? And without that unwavering trust (or faith if you will) the number of even attempts at the process was going to be low key alone successes. The failure of that experiment is more proof of John's hubris.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I've always been curious about what Jod would do if everyone learned about how Lyctors work, went "Wow, no thanks." and just didn't do it. Would he keep them all in Canaan House until they said yes? Would he rejigger all their brains until they all decided "Wait, no, this is the best idea ever."? He couldn't just let them go back to their respective Houses with that information. Simplest solution would be killing them all and telling everyone else "There was an accident with the process, they blew up, super sorry."

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Part of what I was alluding to in my Good Place reference is in theory Jod can kill, then resurrect everyone in the nine houses again, alter their memories and try again. Presumably he doesn’t want to, because he still seems obsessed with revenge and he seemingly can’t get at the people out system and starting over would set him back. But it’s demonstrably within his power...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'd think if the house heir thunderdome didn't work out he'd pivot to finding some real martyrs among his cult to turn into disposable lyctors. What's a couple dozen souls every decade? "You are being given the greatest honor, your name will be written in the mithreaum, now go kamikaze that Eldritch horror"

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Velius posted:

Part of what I was alluding to in my Good Place reference is in theory Jod can kill, then resurrect everyone in the nine houses again, alter their memories and try again. Presumably he doesn’t want to, because he still seems obsessed with revenge and he seemingly can’t get at the people out system and starting over would set him back. But it’s demonstrably within his power...

Actual resurrection seems to come with a high price, what with the Beasts and all.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Actual resurrection seems to come with a high price, what with the Beasts and all.

If we take statement that at face value, but it’s impossible to know if it’s true. Telling everyone “It’s really hard and I can’t do it anymore” is a good way to prevent them asking any more detailed questions about it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

disposablewords posted:

Agaragon posted:

I've always been curious about what Jod would do if everyone learned about how Lyctors work, went "Wow, no thanks." and just didn't do it. Would he keep them all in Canaan House until they said yes? Would he rejigger all their brains until they all decided "Wait, no, this is the best idea ever."? He couldn't just let them go back to their respective Houses with that information. Simplest solution would be killing them all and telling everyone else "There was an accident with the process, they blew up, super sorry."

Possibly these two things are related? If people are working together and sharing information, it's more likely they'll end up having a discussion about whether it's a good idea at all. Whereas if everyone is isolated and competing then they'll rush ahead to avoid losing without thinking too hard about what it means to win.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think the resurrection beasts are a consequence of the killing, not the resurrection. They're basically super ghosts produced when the whole planet is suddenly murdered.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's what Jod said, I've no idea if it's even accurate at this point

mewse
May 2, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think the resurrection beasts are a consequence of the killing, not the resurrection. They're basically super ghosts produced when the whole planet is suddenly murdered.

HtN/NtN spoilers:

I'm currently re-listening to the Harrow audiobook and the resurrection beasts seem specific to our solar system being annihilated and resurrected as the "Dominicus" system.. but: the lyctors kill planets by "flipping" the planet's thalergy into thanergy then going into the river and killing the panicked/suddenly un-anchored soul. Maybe the souls would become new beasts if they weren't quickly killed in the river? They use a stopwatch with Harrow to make sure she kills the soul as soon as possible.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mewse posted:

HtN/NtN spoilers:

I'm currently re-listening to the Harrow audiobook and the resurrection beasts seem specific to our solar system being annihilated and resurrected as the "Dominicus" system.. but: the lyctors kill planets by "flipping" the planet's thalergy into thanergy then going into the river and killing the panicked/suddenly un-anchored soul. Maybe the souls would become new beasts if they weren't quickly killed in the river? They use a stopwatch with Harrow to make sure she kills the soul as soon as possible.

That was how I took it, they were making drat sure to prevent creating any new RBs or anything RB-adjacent when doing that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Qwertycoatl posted:

Possibly these two things are related? If people are working together and sharing information, it's more likely they'll end up having a discussion about whether it's a good idea at all. Whereas if everyone is isolated and competing then they'll rush ahead to avoid losing without thinking too hard about what it means to win.

yeah i think it's exactly this.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

mewse posted:

HtN/NtN spoilers:

Maybe the souls would become new beasts if they weren't quickly killed in the river?

hmm, i thought this was explicitly stated?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It was, yeah, but again, can we trust who was saying it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

redleader posted:

hmm, i thought this was explicitly stated?

Probably, my memory/comprehension is very bad

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Agaragon posted:

Simplest solution would be killing them all and telling everyone else "There was an accident with the process, they blew up, super sorry."
Guys as careful as him don't have accidents.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

silvergoose posted:

It was, yeah, but again, can we trust who was saying it?

true, but this seems like a thing where there's no incentive to lie

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

redleader posted:

true, but this seems like a thing where there's no incentive to lie

we can't assume that it isn't connected to something that is worth lying about. that's the problem when you're dealing with a gaslighting narcissist, even if it seems completely innocuous it may well turn out to be An Entire Thing

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Velius posted:

Series ending spoilers:

Ah, the WH40K Primarch method.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Could John rewrite memories without having to kill someone first? Harrow+Ianthe managed to do it, for a time, having been a lyctor for days.

I think this would be his favored approach, seeing as he likes seeing himself as benevolent.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't know if John can actually rewrite memories as opposed to just erasing them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We don't know, I've always thought it went along with resurrecting people, but that's just a guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

He's not exactly surprised at the concept when he notices that Harrow's temporal lobe has been tampered with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
He rebuilt his whole body from first principles after being exploded, I think he's probably able to rewrite brains

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Agaragon posted:

I've always been curious about what Jod would do if everyone learned about how Lyctors work, went "Wow, no thanks." and just didn't do it. Would he keep them all in Canaan House until they said yes? Would he rejigger all their brains until they all decided "Wait, no, this is the best idea ever."?

Well, Ianthe would murder and eat Babs no matter what.

A couple of the more angsty or devoted Cavs (Jeannemary? Marta??) might try to force Lyctorhood on their necromancers like Cristabel and Alfred are implied to have done.

I think John would settle for 2-3 new Lyctors and the remaining duos would just get lobotomized via Necrolord and sent home

Or get Accidented on the way home if John couldn't be bothered that day and sent Gideon/Augustine/Mercymorn to handle new Lyctor intake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think Muir has already said that if Cytherea hadn't shown up, it would still have been just Ianthe who made Lyctor.