Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
The Curse, Nathan Fielder don’t miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Plutonis posted:

walker is amazing, i watched it like 3 times

it rules. lol that it got him blacklisted from hollywood

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haven't watched Walker yet but it's insanely funny that presumably Walker on the poster is this epic badass lawman-looking guy with a chiseled jaw and rifle, and then the real Walker looks like the Stonks meme stuffed into a suit

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

haven't watched Walker yet but it's insanely funny that presumably Walker on the poster is this epic badass lawman-looking guy with a chiseled jaw and rifle, and then the real Walker looks like the Stonks meme stuffed into a suit

lmfao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

lol before Oliver North

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Godzilla: minus one (2023) really good Godzilla movie with a really mean Godzilla. This ones right up there with Shin and the original ‘54 movie. Toho ftw

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Jenny Agutter posted:

Godzilla: minus one (2023) really good Godzilla movie with a really mean Godzilla. This ones right up there with Shin and the original ‘54 movie. Toho ftw

same.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Robocop. Fantastic. The TV ads are incredible. I want to live in this future world where technology never really advanced past the 80s.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Rewatched Lord of War. Even though I thought I knew all the jokes by heart, it still gave me a good laugh. Apparently the bit about "rescue helicopters" is true or was at some point?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Rewatched Lord of War. Even though I thought I knew all the jokes by heart, it still gave me a good laugh. Apparently the bit about "rescue helicopters" is true or was at some point?

Gonna go watch Lord of War right now, was on my list for a long time and now I got a couple free hours, thanks for the reminder

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

copland and training day. great night of cinema

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Godzilla Minus One is fantastic. One of the rare Kaiju movies where the human drama is actually interesting. Wife and I both did the Leo pointing meme when we saw the German text on the Local Fighter's seat. I love Godzilla movies and I think this is one of the best, up there with Shin Godzilla. Might even be better than the 1998 one with Matthew Broderick

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
the use of the godzilla theme in minus one is so so good

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Man with a Movie Camera - new to me. trains and legs, what more could a man ask for

Election - old favourite

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

the use of the godzilla theme in minus one is so so good

Yeah the score overall was great but those moments were fantastic

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Paprika

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

I re-watched 13 Assassins last night and it still kicks so much rear end. Absolutely gorgeous cinematography and some amazing battle sequences. There are so many killer moments in this movie (the beheading shot during harakiri, the "TOTAL MASSACRE" reveal, etc.) that it's hard to choose a favorite, but this may be the single hardest shot in modern samurai cinema:

Also, hype that I finally found a legit way to watch Battles Without Honor and Humanity (it's streaming for free on Tubi with ads right now!), so I'm going to check that out soon.

edit: 13 Assassins might be one of Miike's more restrained films, which is loving hilarious to me.

hamsauce666 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

john wick

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

john wick 2

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

3+4?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ty

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Godzilla Minus One. Go to theater and watch this right now

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Godzilla minus one is very good.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

john wick 4

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

no 3...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

caught it in theaters

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Checks out

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

godzilla minus one. pogfaced when the godzilla theme kicked in, see this in theaters while you can

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Marty

----------------

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Last Voyage of the Demeter - one of those movies that I wish I liked more than I did. A bunch of great parts that somehow add up to less than their sum. I love the premise of taking just the Demeter captain's log section of the Dracula novel and expanding it into its own story, the cast is great--I've loved Liam Cunningham and David Dastmalchian in everything I've seen them in and they were good here too, and Corey Hawkins was good in the lead role--I liked Dracula's monstrous design, it had some decent scares and a really effective claustrophobic atmosphere, and a sick soundtrack by Bear McCreary to top it off. It just somehow all landed a bit flat outside of certain moments in a way I find hard to define. It also kind of annoyed me that the vampire rules were for kind of the stock pop culture vampires and not the Dracula novel specifically--characters turn into vampires after being bitten instead of needing to drink Dracula's blood in turn, and vampires burn up and die in sunlight where sunlight only weakened Dracula in the novel. Normally I wouldn't mind but if you're presenting it as an expanded chapter in the novel I feel like you should stick to the novel's vampire lore instead of the stuff that came later. I'd still recommend it if you like vampire movies or Dracula stuff, just kind of a soft recommend, you might like it but you probably won't love it.

Godzilla 2014 - This one's kind of the opposite where I totally get why it has mixed reviews and doesn't work for some people, but it completely works for me. Sure it could have used a little less of the buildup after Brian Cranston's wife dies and before the monsters show up, maybe a few more action scenes scattered throughout, but I think mostly showing it from the human perspective was a really cool idea, something that as far as I know has only been done before by Cloverfield, and while I liked Cloverfield well enough for what it was this just blows it out of the water. It had a strange authenticity to it for a movie about giant monsters, the ground-level focus on the carnage and the people affected by it, even when it's just like the quick montage of people calling emergency services to report that they're trapped in the wreckage or can't find their wife etc, gave it the feel of being a disaster movie where the disaster just happened to be giant monsters rather than really being a kaiju movie per se. And then when it finally turns into a traditional Godzilla fight movie at the end it's just a drat good fight. Good choice of director for this movie, he's really good at setting a sense of scale--he also did Rogue One which I thought was generally pretty execrable but there's a few moments where he gets to play with scale in that too like the Death Star looming in the skies over that one city that gets blown up or the shots where the camera is at ground level with a bunch of rebel troops as these towering AT-ATs fire at them from the horizon that are the high points of the movie. Weirdly specific thing for a director to be good at but hell he is good at it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i thought for what it was trying to do godzilla '14 was fine, but the followup was so awful i think it soured my taste on both movies.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Monarch on Apple TV is pretty decent so far. Follows up after Godzilla ‘14

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i thought for what it was trying to do godzilla '14 was fine, but the followup was so awful i think it soured my taste on both movies.

check out skull island and godzilla v. Kong, with are much ebetter

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the boy and the heron btw. liked it a lot. not in miyazaki's best poo poo but it has a lot to like and thr ultimate message makes for some good melancholy vibes. if this is his last movie it's a good ending

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i liked king of the monsters way more than 2014 and godzilla vs kong wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Monsterverse Tier List

Kong Skull Island
Godzilla King of the Monster
Godzilla 1
Godzilla vs Kong