Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ah, a timeless classic. Easily debunked, incoherent rambling. One of the original and quintessential FWD FWD FWDs.

Edit: gently caress, new page :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

borkencode posted:

*Before you say it, I already know that a lot of you will say I don't know how to copy & paste.* It’s easy... hold your finger on this post when the word copy appears, just touch it, then go to your home page and where it says "what's on your mind", touch it and hold your finger where you would start writing your comment and touch "paste”.

The best part

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How hard do you think they had to fight for that username

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its so weird to me that the digital space is somehow more limited than reallife and how there can only be ONE username on some platforms.

also its probably troll farm owned.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah, old ICE famously never been down

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's funny how that ended up split between "woke environmentalists are clueless because you could have had a kickass lead poisoning car in the 70s and been cool" memes and "woke environmentalists are clueless because we already had a tiny niche of electric vehicles in the 70s and it's your fault we don't have them now" memes.

And never the twain shall meet, except when blaming everything on kids these days.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows but whenever people extoll the virtues of ancient cars, I'm reminded of how modern cars have crumple zones that look nasty but don't matter, whereas good ol' classic murrican steel had no crumple zones but your soft, squishy human flesh and organs

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows but whenever people extoll the virtues of ancient cars, I'm reminded of how modern cars have crumple zones that look nasty but don't matter, whereas good ol' classic murrican steel had no crumple zones but your soft, squishy human flesh and organs

Just happened to see a relevant demonstration a few days ago where they had a 1959 Chevrolet hit a 2009 model head on. Both cars were essentially totaled, but notably in the 2009 model the cabin stayed basically entirely intact, whereas in the 1959 one the dashboard went right through the driver's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Perestroika posted:

Just happened to see a relevant demonstration a few days ago where they had a 1959 Chevrolet hit a 2009 model head on. Both cars were essentially totaled, but notably in the 2009 model the cabin stayed basically entirely intact, whereas in the 1959 one the dashboard went right through the driver's head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0

That video shows up all the time and every idiot boomer comes in with the dumbest excuses for why the old car seems to be an absolute death trap, most commonly that the car had no engine or it had been structurally weakened as part of some big car conspiracy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not emails nor from my family but here's a whole thread of tweets and texts of Americans being stupid

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/47-photos-prove-americans-might-161603111.html

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

He's right

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Guavanaut posted:

It's funny how that ended up split between "woke environmentalists are clueless because you could have had a kickass lead poisoning car in the 70s and been cool" memes and "woke environmentalists are clueless because we already had a tiny niche of electric vehicles in the 70s and it's your fault we don't have them now" memes.

And never the twain shall meet, except when blaming everything on kids these days.

But we do have them now???

Like I see specialized electric vehicles for city services (e.g. clearing out public trash bins) every week.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I wonder how many "kids these days" complaints are from people who voted for Reagan bitching about a problem caused by Reagan

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

iajanus posted:

That video shows up all the time and every idiot boomer comes in with the dumbest excuses for why the old car seems to be an absolute death trap, most commonly that the car had no engine or it had been structurally weakened as part of some big car conspiracy.

You also see this kind of talk around Daytime Running Lights: for various reason, our brain processes lit thing faster than it processes unlit things, but if you ask certain types of people, it's a conspiracy by the headlight, car, battery, or alternator manufacturers to wear out certain parts faster.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
what kind of monster would pick on a seven year old for believing in santa?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a few more cents on new cars vs old cars. arent modern engines just better than old ones? like ive seen non terrible car nerds admit that a dorky smart mini car can probably out race a old muscle car depending on what years you line up.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PhazonLink posted:

a few more cents on new cars vs old cars. arent modern engines just better than old ones? like ive seen non terrible car nerds admit that a dorky smart mini car can probably out race a old muscle car depending on what years you line up.

If you look at the quarter-mile and 0-60 stats for the classic powerful Detroit muscle cars, you find that even most minivans (excuse me, "crossover SUVs") today can at least approach that level of performance - and with much better fuel economy and less horribly toxic emissions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

what kind of monster would pick on a seven year old for believing in santa?

Is seven an older kid? I assumed he was talking about, like, 15 year olds.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

But it no longer makes a loud VROOOOOOOM sound!

This reminded of that stupid “rolling coal” thing that conservatives with big trucks did to “stick it to liberals”. The best was when one of my students did it when leaving school only to get pulled over a block away from school.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is seven an older kid? I assumed he was talking about, like, 15 year olds.

Ita marginal

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
In modern cars, there's a chance the airbag won't inflate during a crash, or won't inflate in time. Wouldn't it be safer if it was always inflated? They could make it transparent, so you could see through it to preserve visibility.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Islamic Shock posted:

I wonder how many "kids these days" complaints are from people who voted for Reagan bitching about a problem caused by Reagan

Not sure why, especially since it's not a Reagan thing, but I immediately thought of participation trophies.

It sure the gently caress wasn't our idea to hand them out to ourselves when we were kids, but motherfuckers act like it's our fault that they're a thing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

the_steve posted:

Not sure why, especially since it's not a Reagan thing, but I immediately thought of participation trophies.

It sure the gently caress wasn't our idea to hand them out to ourselves when we were kids, but motherfuckers act like it's our fault that they're a thing.

It's pretty much the American version of Face Culture.

It's my fault, but I'll mitigate the blame to someone else.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the_steve posted:

I'm sure the thought process is "These kids are soft due to SOCIETY even though I raise my son to be a MAN"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Also everyone knew the participation award means way less than first place, even at little league or the 4th grade science fair

Your parents displaying the participation ribbon was a badge of shame

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Also, in case I missed it, participation trophies were never for the kids, it was so Rick, the Ref for the pee-wee football game every saturday morning, didn't get beat up in the parking lot by Jack Anger-Issues McGee cus little Erik lost the game.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I never did team sports as a kid, so the only participation award I got was a science fair ribbon. I just thought "Wait, wasn't the science fair mandatory? Why give me an award for completing a basic requirement?" and chucked it in a storage bin

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Any kid old enough to know the difference between winning and losing knows participation trophies are bullshit. They only exist to shut up the parents.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ponzicar posted:

Any kid old enough to know the difference between winning and losing knows participation trophies are bullshit. They only exist to shut up the parents.

I will say though, kudos to whatever trophy shop owner managed to convince the parents that they needed to order another couple dozen trophies in the first place. gently caress them, but, I'm sure they made their money.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ponzicar posted:

I kinda like the idea to have kids who are younger acknowledge that they are trying SOMETHING and that is good because it encourages kids outside their comfort zone and that like why do you care who wins when kids are below age 12. It's not like they are going pro at that age.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I actually got one participation trophy growing up in the 80s, and it was when I was playing T-Ball in elementary school.

I once struck out in T-Ball.

I deserved no trophies.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, the really little kids benefit from participation trophies because it keeps them interested in the game because it's fun long enough to develop skills and drive. Trying to push that from parents ("You WILL play soccer and you WILL like it, why are you crying? I only shouted at the coach and the ref and you during the game!") isn't a great way to motivate kids and maintain healthy parent-child relationships.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, the really little kids benefit from participation trophies because it keeps them interested in the game because it's fun long enough to develop skills and drive. Trying to push that from parents ("You WILL play soccer and you WILL like it, why are you crying? I only shouted at the coach and the ref and you during the game!") isn't a great way to motivate kids and maintain healthy parent-child relationships.

I know it's beyond unrealistic, but it'd be nice if there was a way to filter the kids who actually want to play vs the kids who have parents that played in high school and by God I may not have been able to get a full-ride scholarship and go pro to make myself millions of dollars but you sure the gently caress will.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the_steve posted:

I know it's beyond unrealistic, but it'd be nice if there was a way to filter the kids who actually want to play vs the kids who have parents that played in high school and by God I may not have been able to get a full-ride scholarship and go pro to make myself millions of dollars but you sure the gently caress will.

I grew up in a city in Michigan that was huge for sports (the Fifes all came up around the same time as me) so my complete disinterest in sports was almost heresy. Like, I wasn't only not interested in playing them, I had (and still have) zero interest in watching them.

My dad played football in high school and was honestly baffled that I didn't want to follow in his footsteps.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

I grew up in a city in Michigan that was huge for sports (the Fifes all came up around the same time as me) so my complete disinterest in sports was almost heresy. Like, I wasn't only not interested in playing them, I had (and still have) zero interest in watching them.

My dad played football in high school and was honestly baffled that I didn't want to follow in his footsteps.

I played when I was younger, ended up quitting eventually due to a combination of it not being something I enjoyed anymore and "No, gently caress you, dad!", but I was fairly into it for a good while.

If I could go back and do it over again, and I couldn't remember the winning lottery numbers for my 18th birthday, I'd probably have stuck with it, but that wasn't who I was the first time around, and I sure as gently caress wouldn't be trying to pressure any hypothetical future children of mine into it if they weren't interested.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

loving T-ball when I was a little brat had the parents in control of the town teams secretly sort us all so the immediately best kids got all on one team and the rest of the town teams were basically used to train that one team, to try to win the local T-ball league. Like smallest drat stakes possible that they deliberately rigged against the majority of a pack of five year olds so a handful of the parents could feel good. I'm not really angry about that specifically being done against me anymore, but man it's the first thing that jumps to the forefront of my mind any time I hear about "participation trophies." Rig the game, give out consolation ribbons, and then years later yell at people for the consolation ribbons they gave out for the game they rigged.

Unsurprisingly, I had all desire to play or improve at any sports squeezed out of me by this kind of thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

disposablewords posted:

loving T-ball when I was a little brat had the parents in control of the town teams secretly sort us all so the immediately best kids got all on one team and the rest of the town teams were basically used to train that one team, to try to win the local T-ball league. Like smallest drat stakes possible that they deliberately rigged against the majority of a pack of five year olds so a handful of the parents could feel good. I'm not really angry about that specifically being done against me anymore, but man it's the first thing that jumps to the forefront of my mind any time I hear about "participation trophies." Rig the game, give out consolation ribbons, and then years later yell at people for the consolation ribbons they gave out for the game they rigged.

Unsurprisingly, I had all desire to play or improve at any sports squeezed out of me by this kind of thing.

It wasn't sports, but we had one computer class in high school (94) and we were able to send two teams to a local programming competition. There were exactly 4 students in the entire class who were capable of "programming" in QuickBasic, so the teacher put the three of us with the highest grades on one team and the 4th highest on a team with two people who just wanted to go. I felt bad for him hahaha, no putting 2 of us who knew things on a team with 1 who didn't to make it fair.

We of course lost because we were programming in QBASIC and the other schools were using Pascal or C or whatever was better at that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I think the criticism about participation trophies is flawed on either side of the aisle.

The fact of the matter is our (adult) lives are surrounded by participation trophies. A significant chunk of military medals and ribbons are simply commemorating that the servicemember didn't gently caress up. Behave yourself in prison and you can get let out early. Plenty of careers have years of service pins or tchotchkes you get over the years. I got a spiffy coronavirus shaped uniform patch for working through the pandemic (as opposed to what, choosing to be destitute lol?). Not to mention all the vidya game Cheevos that basically amount to "finished the 2 minute long tutorial at the beginning of the game".

I think they do serve as some motivation. A big setback a LOT of people face is this all or nothing attitude about ambition where they don't want to even try or follow through if they aren't guaranteed success because the idea of facing failure is worse than not trying. Even among competitive people you see this happen where they like the idea of playing and winning but despise losing and somewhere the notion of persistence or recognition of the effort made along the way gets lost.

I don't necessarily think it's patronizing to have participation trophies and they're no more redundant than taking photos to commemorate participation in an event.