Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Honestly, I've been inspired by this guy: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0SOQX8vcXJ/

Who I can best describe as a "Guerilla Gift Photographer", I guess? Anyway, I find his editing a little heavy handed for my taste, but he's able to spit out good looking prints (by which I mean prints that are accurate to his editing and look sharp) to gift to strangers from the back of his 4-Runner with the little Canon printer.

Also that printer is $99, so its not a huge risk

That’s really cool, thanks for sharing!

Found the printer for anyone curious: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/selphy-cp1500?color=Black&type=New

I might get it. I do a photobooth at parties with my friends and family, and it would be pretty fun to be able to print out the photos before the party is over and hand them out to guests

This is my current situation. Note that my phone picture of the photo on the right is a bit darker than it is in actuality (the iphone white balance is off and made the white photo paper gray). My home printer just blows out the colors and makes everything way too vivid. However I have never messed with its settings, so maybe its a solvable problem. Though in general the photo quality itself seems poor compared to the jpg. It looks far less sharp. For example I can't read the writing above the building interest on my home print, but I can on the other two

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, sorry, I should have posted a link to it, but thats the one. Its a dye sublimation printer, so the prints are ready to go right away and are also, weirdly, waterproof (or at least splashproof, I'd guess)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

For instance, to replace the ink cartridges on that Image ProGraph Pro-1000, it’s $700, on a printer that costs $1300.

Holy poo poo. That’s a nice lens or two just for the cartridge price. I’ll stick with Mpix for the moment.

I really want to support my local print shop but it’s quite pricey for larger prints and their service turnaround has been a couple weeks since 2020.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Having a home printer was, for me, much better for learning than shipping out for prints. Even a low grade inkjet will print a good 4x6.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Honestly, I've been inspired by this guy: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0SOQX8vcXJ/

Who I can best describe as a "Guerilla Gift Photographer"

that’s sick

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This might ultimately be a stupid question but I'm gonna fire off anyways: a batch of my images are going to be put up on a projector as a sort of ambient background for a gathering. It's just gonna be some random office style projector, nothing high end or color accurate or anything like that. I've seen this projector display images before and it has a bad habit of obliterating highlights (orange clouds during sunrise/sunset in particular turn neon) and destroying shadow detail.

So I'm curious if there's any prep work I can do photos to make them look less lovely and if anyone has any experience with stuff like this.

I'm inclined to drop the contrast a bunch and pray but if someone's dealt with this and has specific suggestions I'd love to hear it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you have access to the projector before the event?

I'd be hesitant to guess at a bunch of changes without testing them for fear they might make it worse

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I did.. two weeks ago. :v:

In hindsight I should have tested then, but past me is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

This might ultimately be a stupid question but I'm gonna fire off anyways: a batch of my images are going to be put up on a projector as a sort of ambient background for a gathering. It's just gonna be some random office style projector, nothing high end or color accurate or anything like that. I've seen this projector display images before and it has a bad habit of obliterating highlights (orange clouds during sunrise/sunset in particular turn neon) and destroying shadow detail.

So I'm curious if there's any prep work I can do photos to make them look less lovely and if anyone has any experience with stuff like this.

I'm inclined to drop the contrast a bunch and pray but if someone's dealt with this and has specific suggestions I'd love to hear it.

Take the principal of exposure bracketing. Take your photos and put them onto folders on your SD card, with duplicates of the photo album in each folder. One folder has them as is, one has them darkened a few stops, one has the contrast boosted, etc. It would be pretty quick to do this in lightroom en masse. Then when you show up, try a couple photos from each folder and pick which one looks best, then let the projector do its thing during the event

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

this might be a weird question, but it's something that's been on my mind for a while and i think this thread might be able to help

my mother passed away about 7 years ago and left me some of her old cameras and lenses. i didn't even know she had this much camera gear let alone any at all, really. the canon eos on the right is one she gave me when she was still alive that i used to take a handful of shots with and always promised myself i'd use more often. the other two cameras and all the lenses (aside from the canon in the center) were all shipped to me by my aunt after she died.

sadly, all of this equipment was stolen out of the trunk of my car a few months after i got the two extra cameras and more lenses. it devastated me and i've been pretty beat up about it ever since because i wanted to use them and honor her memory.

before you ask, the cameras have their lenses exposed because i had just got them back from some local camera repair shop that cleaned all the cameras and lenses and i just wanted to snap a pic with my phone when i got back from the shop. i know you're not supposed to keep that stuff exposed.

my question is, what would be the best way to maybe re-obtain some of these camera models or lenses? i recently got myself a nice(?) sony a7iii and a nice(?) entry level lens after i got over the feeling i would never bother taking pics bc i'm a lovely son who got his mom's cameras stolen blablabla. and i'm happy to get back into it, but i also can't shake the feeling of wanting to use older equipment and get real photos developed like i did when i was using that canon years ago.

are these models even worth a poo poo? are the lenses? i assume some of these might be redundant but maybe some of them are worth trying to either re-obtain or replicate in other lens types.

the lens i currently got myself is a sigma 24-70mm F2.8 btw.

thanks!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

Biggest problem with local printers is their hours. :negative:

Acclimating to a new city and there's 2 decent shops and they can be insanely inconvenient. One closes at 4:30 every day and is closed Friday-Sunday and the other is over an hour away. They close at 5 and are also not open on weekends.

My dumb rear end gotta take time off work just to print pictures.

might not be applicable but most of them here will accept mail in orders, or have a couple of drop boxes at local cafes/bars etc, could be worth looking into

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm so sorry to hear that your mother's old cameras were stolen. That really loving sucks. Maybe keep an eye out at the local thrift shops and/or camera stores, craigslist, etc?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mate my advice is worthless but wow sorry to hear about your loss that’s fuckin poo poo

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

appreciate the condolences :) this was a few years back and i have come to terms with the loss as far as the literal equipment goes, but i still cling to the idea of getting old cameras that are the same or similar on ebay or something.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

of the specific lenses you had, the Canon ones are all fairly bad and wouldn't be looked at twice these days. I think that might be the EF 50mm that has a reputation for breaking if you look at it wrong? The Yashica lenses are good. You can find all this stuff on KEH, MPB, eBay, Adorama, B&H, etc.

you shouldn't spend a lot on a film body (and outside of a few models, you'll have to try hard to spend a lot on a 35mm body). image quality comes from the lens and the ASA/type of film (I'll leave off development and printing, that's whole other game).

So, get whatever. If you want to stick with canon, an old body of whatever sort plus an old EF-mount L lens, you'll be golden and shooting like mom. film is expensive.

With film bodies, keeping things cleaned/adjusted was always a big deal, so if something has had some TLC lately, that's good.

sorry for the theft, that's awful

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I bought the Canon Selphy printer and my first test print looks fantastic! What a fun little guy. Thanks for the recommendation!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

of the specific lenses you had, the Canon ones are all fairly bad and wouldn't be looked at twice these days. I think that might be the EF 50mm that has a reputation for breaking if you look at it wrong? The Yashica lenses are good. You can find all this stuff on KEH, MPB, eBay, Adorama, B&H, etc.

you shouldn't spend a lot on a film body (and outside of a few models, you'll have to try hard to spend a lot on a 35mm body). image quality comes from the lens and the ASA/type of film (I'll leave off development and printing, that's whole other game).

So, get whatever. If you want to stick with canon, an old body of whatever sort plus an old EF-mount L lens, you'll be golden and shooting like mom. film is expensive.

With film bodies, keeping things cleaned/adjusted was always a big deal, so if something has had some TLC lately, that's good.

sorry for the theft, that's awful

this is all great info, thank you! i had used the one canon with the ef 50mm lens for a few years and gone to various small print shops in both NY and LA with good results. it's really more for the novelty and paying tribute to my mom's hobby.

i never got to get any photos developed from the yashica lenses so those are the ones i'm most interested in trying to replicate. i'll check out the sources you posted. really wish there was something similar to a physical B&H in LA.

blue squares posted:

I bought the Canon Selphy printer and my first test print looks fantastic! What a fun little guy. Thanks for the recommendation!

this thread piqued my interest and it's only $100 at best buy so i think im gonna pick one up tomorrow. glad to know you're happy with it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

there must be something like B&H in LA, but i don't know what it is. think of the fashion/film/ad presence there. so much old equipment is sitting around SOMEWHERE

e: looking at ebay for old film cameras.. man. i don't need one and would hate spending resources on development, but some of the things available for nothing are incredible

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm glad everyone got turned on to the Canon Selphy, and I'm glad to hear its producing good results. I'll probably grab one myself soon

Selphy Gang

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

If santa doesn't bring me one I'll buy it soon. I saw a guy using it to leave photos of/at cool cars out it the wild with I assume contact info for prints or whatever which I thought was a cool use.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

charliebravo77 posted:

If santa doesn't bring me one I'll buy it soon. I saw a guy using it to leave photos of/at cool cars out it the wild with I assume contact info for prints or whatever which I thought was a cool use.

Probably this guy, although its such a cool/fun idea, I would not be surprised if other people pop up doing it. Its a great idea for car meets and things like that

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Who I can best describe as a "Guerilla Gift Photographer", I guess? Anyway, I find his editing a little heavy handed for my taste, but he's able to spit out good looking prints (by which I mean prints that are accurate to his editing and look sharp) to gift to strangers from the back of his 4-Runner with the little Canon printer.

Also that printer is $99, so its not a huge risk

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Probably this guy, although its such a cool/fun idea, I would not be surprised if other people pop up doing it. Its a great idea for car meets and things like that

What’s really impressive is that guy has a mobile editing AND printing setup

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not gonna motivate anyone to give Adobe more money, but Lightroom Mobile is pretty legit now. Syncing moble edits with classic edits if you later import the RAW into classic is an annoying manual process but the program itself lets you do everything the desktop version does.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s missing a few features that keeps me from being able to use it as a full stand in, notably the calibration panel which I use almost all the time. I’ve made some presets for calibration settings that still work in there, but not having fine tuning control of it is annoying.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm glad everyone got turned on to the Canon Selphy, and I'm glad to hear its producing good results. I'll probably grab one myself soon

Selphy Gang

Funnily enough I also got one a day or two before the discussion in this thread. I posted in the printing thread but I guess it is pretty dead there. This was somewhat helpful to me, maybe it is to other new Selphy owners too.

big scary monsters posted:

I downloaded some random ICC profile for the CP1200 and applying it in Photolab and letting it do colour management rather than the printer does give me results more like what I see on screen (https://zm-color.com/post/2020/05/13/for-canon-selphy-cp-series-sample-icc-profile/). I have no idea if this is a smart way to go, but Canon does not seem to release their own ICCs for this printer. I don't have a colorimeter and while I could probably borrow a spectrophotometer from work that seems like a deep rabbit hole.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s missing a few features that keeps me from being able to use it as a full stand in, notably the calibration panel which I use almost all the time. I’ve made some presets for calibration settings that still work in there, but not having fine tuning control of it is annoying.

I wonder if my Epson would suck less if I calibrated it and also printed more often with it, to keep it from clogging?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I randomly went down a YouTube rabbit hole and found some content creators singing the virtues of getting a 10-ish year old Sony mirrorless camera and one or two lenses as essentially a packable point and shoot.

My main concern is I want to get less blurry/smeary shots of animals in sub-optimal lighting conditions than my phone camera can get.

I used my father's Sony alpha camera from that era for a while before it was stolen :argh: and I was amazed by its ability to take "real" looking photos in such a compact frame. He was a Canon nut though and used adapters to use his old manual Canon lenses so I didn't get to use the fancy autofocus.

What I'm asking is will I get a noticably better, sharper (perceived, not megapixels) image of my dog doing cute things around dusk with a NEX-5R or similar with a kit lens or 50mm prime than my Samsung phone? It looks like I can put that together for under $300 which is about as much as I'm willing to throw at this.

Is there a better solution in that price range?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yes, you'll get better photos, but you'll want something more like this to get a 50mm equivalent field of view (assuming that's what you want) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892387-REG/Sony_sel35f18_35mm_F_1_8_Optical_Steady.html

a 50mm lens on that body will give you ~75mm FOV, which could be good for your dog pics

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went down the same rabbit hole trying to decide if I should get an EOS M, or a Fuji XE-1 or similar.

I wound up with a Canon 5D Classic, so I have literally no useful advice for you!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I wound up with a Canon 5D Classic

The GOAT. No digital camera has ever been able to recreate what that camera could do (in good light). I keep meaning to pick up one again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do love it. I’m not a good enough photographer to get the best out of it, but what I do get, I like.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I mean, if there's something that can deliver similar quality in the same form factor as the Sony alphas, especially if the lenses are cheaper I'm all ears.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I do love it. I’m not a good enough photographer to get the best out of it, but what I do get, I like.

Holy poo poo, they're sub $200 these days!? Last time I looked they were going for upwards of $600 because a lot of wedding photographers were hoarding them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I paid $170 for a nice condition 2xxxxx serial number unit from mpb.com

Dont get a 1xxxxx serial unit unless you're ready to glue the mirror back on

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Selphy printer is great. Hosted a party at my house and did a photo booth setup, and was able to print photos out as the night went on, which everyone loved. The printer can print multiple photos per sheet if you set it up to do so, which increases your prints and makes them more like the little photos that a photo booth spits out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s awesome, what a cool use for it!

Also since I’m sure you’re using a real camera instead of a webcam, and a real printer, not a thermal receipt printer, they look much better than a photo booth would to boot

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Oh haha that's it alright, can't believe I missed that in the thread.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

this is all great info, thank you! i had used the one canon with the ef 50mm lens for a few years and gone to various small print shops in both NY and LA with good results. it's really more for the novelty and paying tribute to my mom's hobby.

i never got to get any photos developed from the yashica lenses so those are the ones i'm most interested in trying to replicate. i'll check out the sources you posted. really wish there was something similar to a physical B&H in LA.

this thread piqued my interest and it's only $100 at best buy so i think im gonna pick one up tomorrow. glad to know you're happy with it

Closest thing LA has to B&H is Samy's Camera, both their Pasadena and their DTLA locations. Though they have waaay less stock and their prices aren't the best... The LA location is cool at least, right down the street from the Petersen. There's also a ton of small hole-in-the-wall shops that have big used gear selections but I can't vouch for any of them. At least, apart from one that was ran by a very kind old dude out of his house, who also turned out to be a Christofascist nazi who really wanted to talk about how the Jews conspired to kill Jesus :gonk:

There's also Freestyle Photo, but they mostly just sell photo supplies like paper/film/etc and not really cameras.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there must be something like B&H in LA, but i don't know what it is. think of the fashion/film/ad presence there. so much old equipment is sitting around SOMEWHERE

e: looking at ebay for old film cameras.. man. i don't need one and would hate spending resources on development, but some of the things available for nothing are incredible

I think most of that has already been sold or traded tbh. I see a lot of bulk lots of grip equipment like stands/lights/etc for sale on LA craigslist and stuff, but all the cameras and stuff I imagine were sold back when film was passe and everyone was moving to digital.

And now everyone just thinks their mom's crappy 90s point and shoot is worth $100+ because the news said film's popular again.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ishikabibble posted:

Closest thing LA has to B&H is Samy's Camera, both their Pasadena and their DTLA locations. Though they have waaay less stock and their prices aren't the best... The LA location is cool at least, right down the street from the Petersen. There's also a ton of small hole-in-the-wall shops that have big used gear selections but I can't vouch for any of them. At least, apart from one that was ran by a very kind old dude out of his house, who also turned out to be a Christofascist nazi who really wanted to talk about how the Jews conspired to kill Jesus :gonk:

There's also Freestyle Photo, but they mostly just sell photo supplies like paper/film/etc and not really cameras.

i live pretty close to freestyle photo and would go there for film/development when i still had my mom's cameras.

speaking of which, i found this camera on craigslist being sold at a pawn shop in hollywood for a hundred bucks. if anyone takes a look, can they report back if there are any red flags about it? too high priced? not a good camera overall?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pho/d/los-angeles-canon-eos-rebel-ii-35mm-slr/7693269296.html

i've heard of samy's a few times. actually went to best buy tonight to buy a cheap (my first) tripod and ran into another guy shopping for one who told me about samy's. i'll check it out soon.

as for another general photography question - i'm interested in seeing if i can bring my camera to local punk/metal shows and snap some shots of the action. i've always loved intimate concert photography and as i get older i'd prefer to take cool photos than risk getting clocked unconscious in the pit (even though i'll still do that, too, probably)

IG posts like this and this and this are what i'm trying to get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

speaking of which, i found this camera on craigslist being sold at a pawn shop in hollywood for a hundred bucks. if anyone takes a look, can they report back if there are any red flags about it? too high priced? not a good camera overall?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pho/d/los-angeles-canon-eos-rebel-ii-35mm-slr/7693269296.html

Way too expensive. That's maybe a $10 camera and a $30 lens.