Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think we can assume that Bonney's fruit wasn't awakened when she used it in the past...

Which means she might be able to transform other people into their alternate timeline selves, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Echoing others in how much this arc absolutely love these characters. They were always neat background characters, but never my favorites. That has changed!

I think Bege is the only other supernova to rise so much after getting to know him, and his design was one of my favorites from the start.

Last Celebration posted:

she does a rubber attack because she turns into Nika and all she knows about him is that he’s made of rubber and is cool and strong (which, because she’s a child, means Nika looks like Kuma), seems like mimicry to me?
Where are you getting the idea that she was rubber? She just made her fist huge like her dad's/her concept of Nika.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm wondering if Boney's fruit is like a Luffy situation where people assumed it was the age fruit since she changed her age based on her urge to be older but really she has some sort of Ms Marvel style power where she has total body modification in her bubble of influence.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

oda making the symbolism even more obvious

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Calling it, Bonney and Luffy are gonna set up a double Joyboy smackdown on Saturn after we return to the present and it's gonna be the last thing Kuma sees before he passes away.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I loved that Kuma kept being a good boy. I recently said, "well, he kind of did betray the Revolutionaries," and this chapter addresses that. He kept helping them in secret, at least as individuals, if not furthering their political aims. And even as Shichibukai he wasn't blindly loyal. He ignores orders and helps people instead of just being the living weapon the Government wants. It's sometimes hard to keep in mind but the Government isn't just seeking power to oppress people. It's also trying to protect people from pirates... which is good! There's some satisfying nuance here and I'm glad Kuma gets to live something of a good life helping people, even if he's doing it in the World Government's name.

But Bonney never got to know! gently caress that makes me so sad and angry!

I really hope the content of all those letters were in the big secret pain ball that Bonney found. I hope she knows now...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Eiba posted:

Where are you getting the idea that she was rubber? She just made her fist huge like her dad's/her concept of Nika.

She literally says she's using a Nika-ish future right after flashing back to her dad talking about Nika's rubbery body. It's not 100% clear whether she's actually rubber at that moment, but it's a valid take with the info we have.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think the point of that is to show that anyone can theoretically be nika, it just happens to be luffy this time around. that or the power of manifestation of ones dreams. or both!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jassa posted:

She literally says she's using a Nika-ish future right after flashing back to her dad talking about Nika's rubbery body. It's not 100% clear whether she's actually rubber at that moment, but it's a valid take with the info we have.
I missed that speech bubble where Kuma says he's rubbery! Whoops!

Yeah, that assumption makes more sense, but it's still not like we've seen her stretch or anything.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

i think the point of that is to show that anyone can theoretically be nika, it just happens to be luffy this time around. that or the power of manifestation of ones dreams. or both!
I wonder if you just need to know of Nika’s existence for devil fruit powers to become Nika-like in some way. Maybe the WG want Nika’s name erased from history not just for culture/order reasons but also maybe because his will can manifest as literal power (like Oden existing as a katana but x100000)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Eiba posted:

I loved that Kuma kept being a good boy. I recently said, "well, he kind of did betray the Revolutionaries," and this chapter addresses that. He kept helping them in secret, at least as individuals, if not furthering their political aims. And even as Shichibukai he wasn't blindly loyal. He ignores orders and helps people instead of just being the living weapon the Government wants. It's sometimes hard to keep in mind but the Government isn't just seeking power to oppress people. It's also trying to protect people from pirates... which is good! There's some satisfying nuance here and I'm glad Kuma gets to live something of a good life helping people, even if he's doing it in the World Government's name.

I really hope the content of all those letters were in the big secret pain ball that Bonney found. I hope she knows now...

this is bonney's flashback to what she learned from Flashback Orb, so she knows. :unsmith:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Conney dressing up in Bonney's clothes is hilarious. Didn't fool anyone for even half a second but she still tried anyways

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe it Jenga is canon to One Piece...

Sanji named an attack after Jenga in Thriller Bark like 15 years ago :colbert:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

How was that fifteen years ago!? :corsair:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eiba posted:

Yeah, it reall works as an illustration of the difference between Kuma as he was before, and after he lost his humanity. He's been merciful every time he was on screen before now, really.

Offering the deal to save Luffy to Zoro, sending everyone to islands instead of capturing or killing them, etc etc. Kuma is inherently a very kind and merciful person, so it's extra monstrous of the WG to want to turn him into a mindless killing machine. Really goes to demonstrate what kind of power they want, it isn't enough to have the marines or CP9 running around doing your bidding, they need something with absolutely no humanity, which will follow whatever horrible orders you can dream up without question or hesitation.

Makes me wonder how this is going to tie into the history of the Void Century and Zou... was its crime disobeying its masters?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I haven't seen this posted in the thread yet, but One Piece is sponsoring the current Rams game:
https://twitter.com/OnePieceAnime/s...00%2Fframe.html

Overtaken would be a sick as hell stadium song.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eiba posted:

There's another big point here: even with the pirates he's fighting against to protect people he doesn't use violence, they just surrender to him. Kuma is the kindest person in all of One Piece, not ifs and buts.

Also, quite interesting that Stussy also knows Kuma. I wonder if she was cloned recently since it's the first time she's appeared in the flashback or she's just visiting Vegapunk/doing Cipher Pol work but really visiting Vegapunk? Could give credit to the theory Weevil is a Whitebeard clone, and Stussy is what Vegapunk asked of Miss Buckin.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

mabels big day posted:

bonney simply needs to ask her fruit for a future where she is trained in haki. In fact i bet the fruit's weakness is the user's age. Like, the older Bonney actually gets, the less potential her future holds and the less effective Distorted Future becomes.

That's when you whip out the Distorted Past, changing your past to one where you did train in whatever/were born from whoever

Scholtz posted:

I think we can assume that Bonney's fruit wasn't awakened when she used it in the past...

Which means she might be able to transform other people into their alternate timeline selves, too.

she absolutely can, she did it to Luffy earlier in the arc.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Scrap Dragon posted:

No I mean she can age other people (and even show them their deaths) but maybe she can also throw people into alternate timelines.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I feel really bad for anyone who looks up Bonnie on any of the fan wikis now. They’re already updated with the newest spoilers. I mean the hints that she was young were absolutely there, but it’s still a pretty nasty spoiler. Also speaking of Bonnie, that bit where she’s handcuffed to a post and Blackbeard is threatening her is way worse now that we know she’s twelve.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do people look up a character on a wiki and not expect spoilers?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Scrap Dragon posted:

That's when you whip out the Distorted Past, changing your past to one where you did train in whatever/were born from whoever

so she has the Everything Everywhere All at Once fruit

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Me reading chapter 1:

"What the gently caress is a devil fruit?"

Me reading chapter 1101, 25 years later:

"WHAT THE gently caress IS A DEVIL FRUIT?!!???!!??!"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Scrap Dragon posted:

So she has the everything every-

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

so she has the Everything Everywhere All at Once fruit

God Dammit

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Cipher Pol: What you're seeing now is my normal state. [transforms] This is a Super Petty. And this.. [transforms again] This is what is known as a Petty rear end in a top hat that has ascended past Super Petty Or you could just call this a Super Petty 2.

Readers: Ho-hum. What a useless transformation. You've changed your number designation so what?

Cipher Pol: [chuckles] Just wait. And this... is to go... EVEN. FURTHER. BEYOND! I'm sorry that took 1101 chapters.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

this is bonney's flashback to what she learned from Flashback Orb, so she knows. :unsmith:
I mean, this can't literally be what was in that orb, because it has some scenes Kuma wasn't there for, like when Ginny was excited to reunite with Kuma before she's kidnapped. And the scene where Alpha tears up the letters. But yeah, I have to assume it's basically what she learned, including the contents all letters he wrote.

I just hope she got all the letters. Word for word.

God drat Oda has made me care so much about these characters so quickly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Eiba posted:

I mean, this can't literally be what was in that orb, because it has some scenes Kuma wasn't there for, like when Ginny was excited to reunite with Kuma before she's kidnapped. And the scene where Alpha tears up the letters. But yeah, I have to assume it's basically what she learned, including the contents all letters he wrote.

I just hope she got all the letters. Word for word.

God drat Oda has made me care so much about these characters so quickly.

I'm taking it to be like the thoughts blending with her own, so she has most of the complete picture, but you're right that still doesn't account for somehow clearly showing Alpha tearing up the letters. But for the letters i 1000% believe she has them in her mind now

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MorningMoon posted:

In addition to what people have said, there are parts of the flashback that involve neither Bonney nor Kuma, so it's just a flashback like One Piece does, not necessarily from one person's point of view. We can infer that Bonney learned Kuma's side of the flashback events in the memory bubble, but it doesn't mean that this is all Bonney's flashback.

Regarding this chapter, I don't know if I've read one single line that gave me more whiplash in One Piece than "Gimme a Nika-ish future!". Like I read past it almost without it hitting my brain and then "wait. wait. wait wait wait wtf does that mean!" What a loving awesome implication for a power that already was insane considering the scene where she made the Marines feel like they were dead or whatever.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 8, 2023

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

kuma just happening to see luffy when training and saying "ill use this move to stop anyone that wants to take my crew away" when hes the one that takes them away later....................

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

In a single chapter Gyogyo and the rest of Bonney's crew became some of my favorite characters. They sailed into the teeth of the New World just to help a little girl find her dad.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

ThingOne posted:

In a single chapter Gyogyo and the rest of Bonney's crew became some of my favorite characters. They sailed into the teeth of the New World just to help a little girl find her dad.

I really hope we see them rescued from the Navy later.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Paper Lion posted:

kuma just happening to see luffy when training and saying "ill use this move to stop anyone that wants to take my crew away" when hes the one that takes them away later....................

Its the move he used to finish off Arlong when he tried to take Nami away

Cat Machine posted:

I wonder if you just need to know of Nika’s existence for devil fruit powers to become Nika-like in some way. Maybe the WG want Nika’s name erased from history not just for culture/order reasons but also maybe because his will can manifest as literal power (like Oden existing as a katana but x100000)

iirc Luffy never heard about Nika before Gear 5

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Wait hold on a sec,

Pink Hair,

A Princess (technically),

Ability to age her self to adulthood, and gain the skillset of whatever she ages herself into,

I've got it!

Bonney is Minky Momo!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Look, if it's a hot lady I can excuse a lot, but this is unforgivable! Not even Sanji would simp for this bitch!!!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gologle posted:

Look, if it's a hot lady I can excuse a lot, but this is unforgivable! Not even Sanji would simp for this bitch!!!!!

Sanji simped for the lady probably holding the key for Robin's cuffs. Dude has no bottom line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What a chapter, I am loving this backstory.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Augus posted:

iirc Luffy never heard about Nika before Gear 5

What do you mean "before", he still hasn't. The fruit name was revealed by the Elder Stars, Luffy just called it Gear 5 not Nika Mode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if this flashback is going to go all the way to Sabaody/Marineford or Blackbeard's kidnapping Bonney.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

White Light posted:

This distorted future move is gonna need some more fleshing out in an SBS or something, how the flying gently caress does the Age fruit give you mimic devil fruit abilities, it's such a logic stretch narrative-wise bordering on asspull territory :confused:

but, is it? we've just had in this arc vegapunk suggest that devil fruits are Dreams Made Physical, in the last arc we had luffy turn into ImaginationMan and half a dozen dinosaurs pulling off techniques that make no actual sense but they think they can do them so they can.

oda's been hitting the drum of "the world works as you think it does" more and more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

That's how they hunted though