Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That's how they hunted though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
On my reread and I’m up to Fishman Island and would like to affirm that Fisher Tiger rules and his “Frog? No. Hippo.” shirt is the best shirt in the entire series.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThingOne posted:

In a single chapter Gyogyo and the rest of Bonney's crew became some of my favorite characters. They sailed into the teeth of the New World just to help a little girl find her dad.

:yeah:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

but, is it? we've just had in this arc vegapunk suggest that devil fruits are Dreams Made Physical, in the last arc we had luffy turn into ImaginationMan and half a dozen dinosaurs pulling off techniques that make no actual sense but they think they can do them so they can.

oda's been hitting the drum of "the world works as you think it does" more and more

Now I'm expecting the revelation after Luffy beats Imu that the whole world is a dream a la Link's Awakening and only those with the strongest will can make their personal dream of the world manifest to out-dream Imu's nightmare.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Now I'm expecting the revelation after Luffy beats Imu that the whole world is a dream a la Link's Awakening and only those with the strongest will can make their personal dream of the world manifest to out-dream Imu's nightmare.

Isn't that just the plot of Film Red?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

Me reading chapter 1:

"What the gently caress is a devil fruit?"

Me reading chapter 1101, 25 years later:

"WHAT THE gently caress IS A DEVIL FRUIT?!!???!!??!"

lmao

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Chapter is good :bignews:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

ThingOne posted:

In a single chapter Gyogyo and the rest of Bonney's crew became some of my favorite characters. They sailed into the teeth of the New World just to help a little girl find her dad.

They lasted all of five minutes there, but yeah they're awesome for sticking by Bonney regardless.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

jassa posted:

They lasted all of five minutes there, but yeah they're awesome for sticking by Bonney regardless.

tbf they ran into off-screen Blackbeard; nobody can survive that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Me reading chapter 1:

"What the gently caress is a devil fruit?"

Me reading chapter 1101, 25 years later:

"WHAT THE gently caress IS A DEVIL FRUIT?!!???!!??!"

last line should be thread title once its unspoiled

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

jassa posted:

You can do awesome things in One Piece if you believe in your captain though

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the moment that made me love bonney the most was when she saw saturn for 0.1 seconds and didn't bother with any sort of taunting or grandstanding she just loving jumped him and stabbed his rear end. that owned

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when we return to the present day i want saturn to get hit so hard that not even his shadow is left

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tbp posted:

the moment that made me love bonney the most was when she saw saturn for 0.1 seconds and didn't bother with any sort of taunting or grandstanding she just loving jumped him and stabbed his rear end. that owned
Honestly, the fact that she's just a 12 year old kid made that even cooler. Definitely one of the coolest child characters in One Piece.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Oxxidation posted:

when we return to the present day i want saturn to get hit so hard that not even his shadow is left

My question is do Saturn and the others know about her Devil Fruit potential or do they still assume she's just a helpless girl? Vegapunk doesn't seem to know, so the others probably don't either. It'd be really great for us to come out of the flashback only for Bonney to blindside everyone with her Nika-ish distorted future power.

Also yeah, I'm definitely a Bonney/Kuma stan after this flashback.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know, now that the vaguer and more mysterious parts of One Piece's background and setting are becoming more central to the story i'm beginning to realise I don't actually care about them very much.

Flashback has still been solid and all but the more focus we get on like "Hey, people know about that Rubber God Nika and his legend has been an inspiration some real cool guys!" the more I realise I kinda preferred it as just something to read speculation about than something actually addressed centrally in the story.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope Bonney gets a nice, fun rest of her childhood after this arc is over.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gyges posted:

I hope Bonney gets a nice, fun rest of her childhood after this arc is over.
Kuma will get his memories back and Nika will take it from here :shobon:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Y'know, now that the vaguer and more mysterious parts of One Piece's background and setting are becoming more central to the story i'm beginning to realise I don't actually care about them very much.

Flashback has still been solid and all but the more focus we get on like "Hey, people know about that Rubber God Nika and his legend has been an inspiration some real cool guys!" the more I realise I kinda preferred it as just something to read speculation about than something actually addressed centrally in the story.

Hate to break this to you brother, but if conclusions aren’t your thing you may want to stop reading.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the Nika stuff becoming even more explicit because it means the “gently caress authoritarians” themes are getting even more explicit

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

tbp posted:

went so hard

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I have mixed feelings about the Nika stuff myself. The embodiment of freedom being a rubber cartoon man makes sense. But why is Nika also a sun god? Why do the Five Elder Stars suddenly start caring about Luffy’s Devil Fruit during the Wano arc, right around the time Who’s Who mentions both Nika and the Gum Gum Fruit in unrelated contexts, but in the same conversation? It just feels contrived. The proper place to introduce Nika, IMO, would have been back in the Amazon Lily arc, when Hancock explained the significance of the Sun Pirates’ tattoos.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

nika was first mentioned in skypiea, and was our only direct mention until wano. however, the flashbacks and things we have seen and been told are now recontextualizing various images and ideas that had been around longer. nika is a sun god because he will bring the dawn of liberation and freedom to a world cloaked in darkness. its symbolic at the very least, we do not know if it will be more literal than that and if it turns out it is, i am sure that there will be even more recontextualization of previous events.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Silver2195 posted:

I have mixed feelings about the Nika stuff myself. The embodiment of freedom being a rubber cartoon man makes sense. But why is Nika also a sun god? Why do the Five Elder Stars suddenly start caring about Luffy’s Devil Fruit during the Wano arc, right around the time Who’s Who mentions both Nika and the Gum Gum Fruit in unrelated contexts, but in the same conversation? It just feels contrived. The proper place to introduce Nika, IMO, would have been back in the Amazon Lily arc, when Hancock explained the significance of the Sun Pirates’ tattoos.

I mean, Nika is a Sun God because people love worshipping the sun. Plus, the fruit is born from people's dreams and worship about Nika. So Nika doesn't have to make sense. People just prayed hard enough to bring their imaginations to life.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

one of the many reasons one piece has maintained its popularity for as long as it has is that it doesnt waste your time with exposition that isnt going to be relevant for hundreds of chapters. its exposition is always to explain whats happening contemporaneously- if it happens to include a detail that doesnt make sense, or raises more questions, we assume that detail will be explained when it is relevant. all this to say that if you wrote one piece it would probably suck rear end

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Paper Lion posted:

nika was first mentioned in skypiea, and was our only direct mention until wano. however, the flashbacks and things we have seen and been told are now recontextualizing various images and ideas that had been around longer. nika is a sun god because he will bring the dawn of liberation and freedom to a world cloaked in darkness. its symbolic at the very least, we do not know if it will be more literal than that and if it turns out it is, i am sure that there will be even more recontextualization of previous events.

Also I think it makes a bit more sense post Imu reveal, we have an embodiment of oppressive darkness which we now know is challenged by the freedom of the sun. Plus so much of One Piece just revels in the freedom of an open sky and the sun above, the joy of One Piece is in the sunny days over glorious blue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The sun has lots of symbology that would tie into a "revolutionary" God of freedom. Driving away the darkness, cleansing fire, new beginnings, light of truth, positivity, etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Hate to break this to you brother, but if conclusions aren’t your thing you may want to stop reading.

I just think this particular part of the story isn’t very interesting

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

one of the many reasons one piece has maintained its popularity for as long as it has is that it doesnt waste your time with exposition that isnt going to be relevant for hundreds of chapters. its exposition is always to explain whats happening contemporaneously- if it happens to include a detail that doesnt make sense, or raises more questions, we assume that detail will be explained when it is relevant. all this to say that if you wrote one piece it would probably suck rear end

It wouldn't have been that much exposition, just one more sentence of dialogue from Hancock.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oda just probably didn’t have the whole thing ironed out until recently.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whats the first chapter where “nika” was used as the sound effect for luffy smiling

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
To be clear, I think Oda is usually pretty good at setting things up in advance. For example, Haki was first mentioned by Blackbeard back in Jaya, Blackbeard himself was first mentioned back in Drum Kingdom, and Doflamingo and Kuma were also introduced back in Jaya. I just think Oda didn't do as good a job setting up Nika specifically.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

people dont talk about nika because theres a concerted government plot hundreds of years old to suppress information about him. the only reason we heard the name in skypiea is because they arent subject to the world government. the next time we heard it was in the context of us being told "yeah some guy in prison mentioned it but said to stay hush hush, then was instantly disappeared the next day." there was simply never going to be a lore dump about this because it would not make sense for many people to even know the name nika, let alone know anything about nika

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of the biggest elements of the background plot has been a period of time that was literally erased from known history, of course some stuff is gonna seem like it just comes out

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Arguably, the first reference to Nika is the sun emblazoned on Hachi and other Fishman in Arlong Park. Whether it was actually outlined as referring to freedom/Nika at the time is up to your interpretation, but my guess is that Nika/Joyboy has always been part of the outline since Oda first decided what the One Piece is.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

nika was first mentioned in skypiea, and was our only direct mention until wano.

Nika wasn’t mentioned by name in Skypeia, although there were a couple references to a “sun god” of some sort.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 9, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I have mixed feelings about the Nika stuff myself. The embodiment of freedom being a rubber cartoon man makes sense. But why is Nika also a sun god?
the sun being a symbol of freedom has been a recurring thing in this series for a really long time

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the sun has also been drawn to closely resemble the straw hat many, many, many times as well

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nika is definitely an outlier in how Oda has done foreshadowing and world building this far in the series. The general method is that they will first drop exposition with a big signpost that 'This Thing is Important' and then gradually peel back the layers and give us more insight into Why This Thing is Important. Examples include the Will of D, first mentioned by Kureha (along with Roger's real name reveal) long long before the concept of D being the enemy of the Celestial Dragons and Imu, and the God Valley incident, first told to us in a briefing at Marine HQ and with flashbacks gradually revealing more and more of what happened.

Nika's association with Sun Gods, the Freedom Fruit, etc was all exposited by who's Who and the Gorosei in pretty much the same arc it actually happened in. I guess the earlier mentions of Joyboy counts but again it was a very sudden exposition dump to connect that with Gear 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's some foreshadowing to Nika as an idea, but its direct connection to the gum-gum fruit was a last minute decision I think. The Who's Who backstory which tries to justify the twist comes extremely late (couldn't a goon in a previous arc have had that backstory if the decision was made earlier?) and even contradicts Who's Who's earlier characterisation within Wano (there's a panel where he sees Luffy, clearly doesn't care and turns away). And the idea that the gorosei knew all along makes the WG's response to Luffy throughout the series very weird (and also why would they be surprised to learn the gum-gum fruit has another name if that's true?).