Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Alan_Shore posted:

Got it from Aliexpress. Yeah I just got a generic magsafe phone holder you put on your car vent and boom you slap the phone on it and it stays there! It's wonderful, no more clips!

My problem with doing this is that it's cold here and my phone gets hot as poo poo as is from being even slightly near the vents on its current windshield mount. I think if I were to mount it directly on the vent it would just immediately overheat. Sucks cause it's a perfect spot besides the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there something special about the fold 5 s pen or is it the same as the fold 4? I mean other than a slight change in shape.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

took a group photo after a concert last night and the pixel feature to replace faces actually came in really handy and was super useful

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I’ve had some, frankly, bad SoT minutes for my Pixel 7 (Only getting between 3-4 hours before needing to charge it, looked at battery usage, settings, etc. Nothing leaps out - this is just the life of the phone). Turning off 5G helps some but I don’t really want to nerf my phone to get decent usage throughout the day, y’know?

So I’m starting to look towards Galaxy phones and they seem to get better battery life than Pixels. The 8 also seems to have similar battery issues than the 7 so I’m not super confident this is going to be an issue Google can fix in a reasonable timeframe.

So, goons who have used both for a fair amount of time - what’s the big differences between Galaxy and Pixel? What would make you pick one or the other? Reddit has a few of these threads, yes, but that stuff tends to be in r/<insert brand here> and is clogged with biased opinions. And I trust y’all more than anything spewed in there.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

isndl posted:

The Google Assistant At-A-Glance widget on my home screen has crashed and now it's a giant pink box telling me to use ADB to pull the log. How do I restart this thing without rebooting my entire phone?

Mine keeps doing this too, I think an update or something broke it since searching for the error shows a bunch of other people having the same problem in the last couple weeks. Rebooting fixes it for a little bit but the error comes back within an hour. Are there any alternatives for a similar basic weather + calendar widget?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kirios posted:

So I’ve had some, frankly, bad SoT minutes for my Pixel 7 (Only getting between 3-4 hours before needing to charge it, looked at battery usage, settings, etc. Nothing leaps out - this is just the life of the phone). Turning off 5G helps some but I don’t really want to nerf my phone to get decent usage throughout the day, y’know?

So I’m starting to look towards Galaxy phones and they seem to get better battery life than Pixels. The 8 also seems to have similar battery issues than the 7 so I’m not super confident this is going to be an issue Google can fix in a reasonable timeframe.

So, goons who have used both for a fair amount of time - what’s the big differences between Galaxy and Pixel? What would make you pick one or the other? Reddit has a few of these threads, yes, but that stuff tends to be in r/<insert brand here> and is clogged with biased opinions. And I trust y’all more than anything spewed in there.

I've had Pixel 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8. On Wi-Fi, the Pixel 8 has had the best battery life by far of any of them. The Pixel 5 came close, and none have been stellar on mobile data but I haven't been able to test them with strong mobile signal, it's always been in a tin can building for work.

I meant to say, battery life for me between 7 and 8 has been day and night, and this is with a higher refresh rate screen on the Pixel 8.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 4, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My work finally overhauled their wifi so it's now very stable, fast and usable. Being able to stay connected to it for most of the day has radically changed the stamina of my Pixel 7 Pro. Where my battery used to be down to 35% by the time I got home (10am-8:30p), it is now easily 65% or more. Currently 76% with 2hrs45min SOT. I could probably go another day if I really wanted to.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OnePlus 12 announcement in like three hours :dance:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gazing into my crystal ball.

It's a slab with a big battery, fast charging, an SoC that's faster than anyone will notice by 3 generations and cameras that are good but not great.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Gazing into my crystal ball.

It's a slab with a big battery, fast charging, an SoC that's faster than anyone will notice by 3 generations and cameras that are good but not great.

They moved the camera cutout to the center of the display too! And apparently you can get one with 24GB of ram lolwtf

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They appeal to me because I can generally afford to buy them full price and my 9P is in a rough state (mostly my own fault). The telecommunications industry is Canada is amongst the worst in the world and I just want to be able to replace my phone and not upset my unicorn $30/mth plan.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

They appeal to me because I can generally afford to buy them full price and my 9P is in a rough state (mostly my own fault). The telecommunications industry is Canada is amongst the worst in the world and I just want to be able to replace my phone and not upset my unicorn $30/mth plan.

I've enjoyed my OnePlus phones. I still have a 7 Pro from 2019 that I don't think I'll ever get rid of. I absolutely adore its unencumbered display and even the motorized pop-up selfie cam still works after nearly 5 years. My 11 is a solid device, especially considering what I bought it for (OnePlus has crazy deals on launch days). The optical fingerprint scanners, even in my old 7 pro, is still better than whatever Google is doing with the Pixel. Battery life is crazy good.

If you're going from a 9 to 12, I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit if they keep the price reasonable.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Occasionally my Pixel 7 will fail my thumbprint when trying to unlock an app, and it'll immediately make the biometric unlock option unavailable, instead of needing three failures. What causes this behavior? I haven't noticed it when unlocking my phone itself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So this is an interesting thing.

I've noticed over the past few days that Chrome is orders of magnitude slower on the OnePlus Open than any of my Pixel or Samsung phones to the point where some pages are exercises in frustration to navigate.

There was a recent update to the Open and I wonder if it broke something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

December feature update for pixels Pixels is out now.

Bug fixes.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/247199114/google-pixel-update-dec-2023?hl=en&sjid=14780034094174832350-NC

New features.

https://9to5google.com/2023/12/06/december-2023-pixel-feature-drop/

Video Boost for the 8 Pro
Dual Screen Preview for the Pixel Fold
New "clean" feature in camera app to clear up smudges on scanned documents
Can use phone as USB webcam (Pixel 6 and above)
Watch Unlock
Call screen on your wrist for Pixel Watch when paired to a Tensor phone
Contextual call screen replies
Clear Calling on the Pixel tablet
Repair mode on all devices

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bull3964 posted:

Can use phone as USB webcam (Pixel 6 and above)

Seems like a big feature - do other brands offer this?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I think eventually all of them probably

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/22/23885446/android-14-beta-google-pixel-webcam-feature-usb-apple-continuity-camera

Apple has had that feature for a few years now I think

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

stoked to see more watch><phone synchronicity. makes the experience of having both feel more modern and premium.

one thing that annoys me is letting a phone call ring but pressing a volume button to mute/silence/stop vibration on my phone, but there's no similar option for doing that on my watch that's also vibrating. i either have to hit the gently caress you button or let my wrist vibrate till it's over.

one nice thing i've noticed is that my morning alarm through google assistant is shared across my nest hub, phone, and watch.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Does anyone's phone never update automatically at night or whatever? I always have to manually update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ShoogaSlim posted:

one thing that annoys me is letting a phone call ring but pressing a volume button to mute/silence/stop vibration on my phone, but there's no similar option for doing that on my watch that's also vibrating. i either have to hit the gently caress you button or let my wrist vibrate till it's over.

On my Galaxy Watch4 at least I can push one of the physical buttons and my watch stops vibrating.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Cover the screen with your hand. Should silence it and stop the vibration.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Shai-Hulud posted:

Cover the screen with your hand. Should silence it and stop the vibration.

wow this actually makes a lot of sense since that's the universal gesture for turning the screen off

watch me try it and accidentally hit the answer button with my palm

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Don't have the feature drop yet. I thought Google had addressed this situation. :thunk:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

Don't have the feature drop yet. I thought Google had addressed this situation. :thunk:

It's okay it's not like updates are routinely late specifically on their branded mobile carrier or anything.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do you permanently remove an app from the media share menu? Like when sharing photos it brings up apps I would never ever share a photo to. It's very dumb and I feel like there used to be a way to customize all that.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If you're on samsung you can edit that with good lock

Wait actually it's moved to the actual share button now, no good lock needed. Just click share, then 'more', then there's a pencil in the top right.

Not sure if it's the same or similar on other versions of android

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 7, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can pin share targets by long holding them on regular android

Not quite what you want but should help

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

December feature update for pixels Pixels is out now.

Still don't have it on my 8. Frustrating.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
There was a sale so I tried to buy my present early: a basic case for my S21. They're not around much anymore; neither the initially huge selection of cases by Samsung nor Ringke or Spigen cases.

This one seemed promising. The 'producer' talked it up of course but they did it with enough detail I believed them. Moreover they boast all over about being made locally rather than in China. Like It's one of their main pitches. Something like 'Not only are our cases technically made in this country, but the entire production process takes place here. We are very proud that each and every case we sell is stamped with Made in X on the inside and every box they come in reads Made in X as well!'

Whelp. It came yesterday. Of course it is a sticky case with MADE IN CHINA on it. There was no box, just one of those cheap sharp-edged clear baggies with Made in China on it as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There apparently has been a pretty significant jump in GPU performance for the 8/8 Pro with the December update as the Mali drivers were updated to be recent versions instead of ones from August of 2022 when the GPU in the newest Pixels didn't even exist yet

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not available yet on my unlocked P8P on Verizon.

Now I actually want it, heh

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Resdfru posted:

If you're on samsung you can edit that with good lock

Wait actually it's moved to the actual share button now, no good lock needed. Just click share, then 'more', then there's a pencil in the top right.

Not sure if it's the same or similar on other versions of android

No such option on stock Android (Pixel)

Rare Samsung W.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Camera 9.2 that was just released adds UltraHDR capabilities to a bunch of older pixels. Confirmed working on my Fold.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

There apparently has been a pretty significant jump in GPU performance for the 8/8 Pro with the December update as the Mali drivers were updated to be recent versions instead of ones from August of 2022 when the GPU in the newest Pixels didn't even exist yet

aaaaaa I want this update I'm tired of games stuttering on my 8 Pro

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

ugh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just sideload it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
The December update made my status bar bigger for some reason and now there's entirely too much vertical padding around the time/battery status etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't seen any UI padding changes on any of the Pixel devices I have.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

I haven't seen any UI padding changes on any of the Pixel devices I have.

Wonder if it's because I run a smaller display size with a larger font. I should fiddle with it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When getting a new Android phone to replace one that you currently use, what sort of data come over automatically and what data need to be copied over manually? I assume anything tied to the Google account on the old device will come over when you sign in on the new device (photos in cloud storage etc.), but what about more basic data tied to the phone itself like contacts, text messages, and call logs?

Related, for data that need to be moved manually, any recommendations for moving stuff off of a phone whose USB-c port is pretty unreliable (or tips on making it more reliable - I've gotten in there a few times with a toothpick to try and clean the contacts, with little success)