Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
where do yall get orchids online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

indigi posted:

J&L in the Northeast US. If you can go shop/pick up in person even better.

eBay

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, you have to keep pruning the basil within an inch of its life. I remain shocked that my current seedpack included a mint, and I desperately tried to convince my son, who believes in followin instructions, that nobody needs a hydroponic mint. Here comes Audrey!

turns out being a part of the mint family turns you into an aggressive nightmare, root-wise.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

indigi posted:

Hausermann
Seattle Orchids
Ecuageneria
Big Leaf Orchids
Sunset Valley Orchids
J&L

I also recommend checking out your local/state orchid societies. When they have a show, they typically have some great vendors.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Since there's no bug thread as far as I can tell, and I was just posting about milkweed, y'all get to hear about my pollinators.

I've started working this fall towards what I hope will be a ton of native wildflowers in various corners of the property next year. Included in that is going to be a bunch of milkweeds (A. incarnata and viridis mostly). In addition to the little baby tuberosa that I posted about earlier, I also picked up a larger one from Lowes back in September. Since I'm starting everything from seed, I wanted to make sure I had at least one large growing plant as early as possible next year. We see monarchs in March/April and again in the fall, with this year's southward migration probably close to wrapping up by now -- we were at the arboretum a few weeks ago and they were all over the place. However, the migratory monarchs only reproduce in the spring, and it's a bit of a challenge because you need enough milkweed very early in the year to sustain them.

Meanwhile, after our insanely hot and dry summer followed by fall rain that has been coming as 2-4 inch deluges with long dry spells in between, my wife and I were discussing how other than the trip to the arboretum, we have not seen pollinators on our flowers at all in months. No bees, no butterflies, not even wasps. We saw a lone hummingbird at my Turk's cap maybe 6 weeks ago and that was it for them, too.

All that is to provide some context as to why, as I was putting up lights yesterday, I was extremely surprised to find these:

According to the local butterfly center, we have a small population of year-round monarchs, and that must be what's going on here. Took my kid out for a bike ride and noticed someone down the block has a patch of tropical milkweed, although no caterpillars as far as I could tell.

Seems like finally seeing some genuinely cool weather is bringing things back out, because within an hour of finding these I saw a honeybee (first one in months) and red admiral on the same milkweed. And this little hairstreak paid a visit to my native salvias!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For monarchs make sure you’re cultivating plenty of food for the southward migration. Some monarch scientists think fall nectar sources are as important as milkweed during their breeding season.

And as for pollinators, you may need to give them some homes as well. I know more about the more northerly species, but there’s probably tons of solitary bees, and they need cover and plant resources (old plant stems, leaves for leaf cutter bees, leaf and plant litter for cover). Pollen is also an incredibly important resource, so you may want to get some plants that are good pollen resources. I know there are a couple plants up north that bees love that only give pollen (shrubby st john’s wort). IDK about down south.

Interestingly milkweed pollen isn’t very useful for bees. Instead of individual pollen grains, milkweed makes gigantic pollen sacks that attach to bee (or other insect) legs and then get scooped up by the next flower they visit. Supposedly monarchs are pretty terrible pollinators of milkweed, they just eat the leaves and take the nectar and not much else.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've ordered frost protection bags for my fig trees (I couldn't find good ones in-store) but we're gonna get some pretty nasty temperatures before they arrive. I did buy mulch. Is it advisable to water and mulch, or just mulch? NC Zone 8B, supposed to get down to 20°F overnight. In all likelihood they've been hit with one or two frosts already, but I'm just trying to do whatever I can.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

I've ordered frost protection bags for my fig trees (I couldn't find good ones in-store) but we're gonna get some pretty nasty temperatures before they arrive. I did buy mulch. Is it advisable to water and mulch, or just mulch? NC Zone 8B, supposed to get down to 20°F overnight. In all likelihood they've been hit with one or two frosts already, but I'm just trying to do whatever I can.

I think it’s water and mulch.

I have a couple very small fruit trees that I plan to cover them completely with hay for this cold snap, since I have some sitting around. If you have enough mulch you could do that too. Or some old sheets or something. I’ve also seen advice to fill a big jug with warm water and put it next to the tree, ideally under the cover too.

In a pinch you could go to harbor freight and get some cheap moving blankets.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks -- I'm also thinking, just for a day or two would plastic garbage bags be so bad? I know long-term that can develop fungus or something, but just until the real frost covers arrive.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Eeyo posted:

For monarchs make sure you’re cultivating plenty of food for the southward migration. Some monarch scientists think fall nectar sources are as important as milkweed during their breeding season.

And as for pollinators, you may need to give them some homes as well. I know more about the more northerly species, but there’s probably tons of solitary bees, and they need cover and plant resources (old plant stems, leaves for leaf cutter bees, leaf and plant litter for cover). Pollen is also an incredibly important resource, so you may want to get some plants that are good pollen resources. I know there are a couple plants up north that bees love that only give pollen (shrubby st john’s wort). IDK about down south.

I am aw aware, and I have a number of things that should bloom into late fall - Mexican hat and prairie coneflowers, prairie verbena, mistflower, black-eyed Susan. The mistflower was covered in monarchs when we visited the arboretum in early November. My Henry Duelberg (Salvia farinacea) is still blooming today, and my Turk's cap was until just recently. :)

Looks like I am a bit southwest of shrubby St Johns Wort's native range. Goldenrod is big here for pollen, but I don't have the space. Common sunflower is another one (good for fall nectar too) and I'm trying to decide if I want to plant it. Space will be an issue, and it will need management if it reseeds itself aggressively.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Lemming posted:

If you mean edible figs like Brown Turkey or w/e, mine have been fine down to 18F no problem. Indoor figs might not be.

E: should add the caveat 'if they've gone dormant and dropped their leaves' they should be fine. Early frosts before trees have gone dormant can be bad.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 28, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I accidentally/not-so-accidentally may have killed off the big monstera deliciosa that I’d been growing for almost four years.

It came from a pretty high-end store (Mahoney’s in MA) and I paid probably like $40 for it. It spent the past 2 years in a 20” pot, went outside in the summers, etc, but the vines started growing in a circle like a sea star from the center and it started looking really ungainly (like stonehenge) and I was supposed to separate it into thirds and get them properly staked up and I never did

And then I ran out of room to bring the big pot into when the temperature dropped and so it stayed outside on the back porch during the first few freezes….and those were fine (“fine”) like last year, just killing off the foliage but leaving the vines okay and I was like “sweet, this makes my job easier!” and then I procrastinated on that and now all of the vines are heavily freeze damaged and gelatinous, and the whole thing might be hosed (except for maybe the very center of the mass).

Anyway, tldr: how much variation is there among the eleventy-billion basic monsteras on the market? Assuming that the plant appears healthy and has vigor, am I gonna be sorry if I grab a replacement the next time I go to Home Despot/etc? Barring diseases or bug infestations, is there anything “wrong” with or lower quality about those plants vs something from a nicer store?

Mahoneys does a lot of their own propagation, but they also source a ton (probably a majority) of their stock from the same wholesalers/etc that everybody else does—your costa farms, your proven winners, etc. Should I look for a monstera from a similarly high-end shop or will something nice from a hardware store plant department do just as well?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you mean edible figs like Brown Turkey or w/e, mine have been fine down to 18F no problem. Indoor figs might not be.

E: should add the caveat 'if they've gone dormant and dropped their leaves' they should be fine. Early frosts before trees have gone dormant can be bad.

Yeah unfortunately the early frost may have happened already. It was in October when I was just randomly sick for like the whole month and I couldn't be bothered to prepare. Leaves already dropped but I'm not sure how natural it was.

Last winter they got hit pretty bad even though I didn't think it would be an issue. I had to cut them almost all the way back this year because they were mostly dead. Of course I would hope they're a little stronger now.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Discussion Quorum posted:

I am aw aware, and I have a number of things that should bloom into late fall - Mexican hat and prairie coneflowers, prairie verbena, mistflower, black-eyed Susan. The mistflower was covered in monarchs when we visited the arboretum in early November. My Henry Duelberg (Salvia farinacea) is still blooming today, and my Turk's cap was until just recently. :)

Looks like I am a bit southwest of shrubby St Johns Wort's native range. Goldenrod is big here for pollen, but I don't have the space. Common sunflower is another one (good for fall nectar too) and I'm trying to decide if I want to plant it. Space will be an issue, and it will need management if it reseeds itself aggressively.

Heck yeah sounds great!

I’ve got some of those aggressive seeders in my garden and I may live to regret it. They were leftover from the previous owner and I’m not sure how they got there in the first place. But I wanted natives and they’re definitely that!

There’s like a 10 foot radius of heart leaved asters that are popping up in my lawn. They get mowed and don’t seem to mind that much, then produce a teeny tiny cluster of flowers at the end of the season it’s weird.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Ok Comboomer posted:

Should I look for a monstera from a similarly high-end shop or will something nice from a hardware store plant department do just as well?
It's been a couple years and I haven't had any real issues with my mass market Monstera from home depot that had 3 leaves when I bought it for $25. It's grown well to a point where it's too big and having problems because I don't want to put it in a bigger pot and because I failed to give it support before it started falling over, but all that would be true no matter where I bought it. It had thrips at one point but I think those originated from my Lowes False Aralia, not the Monstera, and spinosad and insecticidal soap took care of those quickly anyway. If your concern is "will it do as well" and you re pot it quickly and you know how to handle common pests, I think you'll get the same results.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yeah I was just worried that the lineage would be worse or something, but I’m sure they all come from costa/etc

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Our local nursery is full of stuff labeled obviously from Proven Winners, Monrovia, etc. It's not all of it but a lot. They're certainly being taken care of better than at home depot while they are in the shop but if stock is changing quickly and you're buying it soon after they unwrapped it from their truck, there's less time for that to matter.

I imagine the stakes for your personal home Monstera just aren't high enough to worry about the strength of the lineage? I've been convinced that this stuff matters for a tree you want to last 30 years but this is just a houseplant to look pretty, right? It seems to me that a houseplant monstera can't last many years without huge repeated chop and prop anyhow unless you're giving it an entire room of your house, so again they're kind of short term investments.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Our local nursery is full of stuff labeled obviously from Proven Winners, Monrovia, etc. It's not all of it but a lot. They're certainly being taken care of better than at home depot while they are in the shop but if stock is changing quickly and you're buying it soon after they unwrapped it from their truck, there's less time for that to matter.

I imagine the stakes for your personal home Monstera just aren't high enough to worry about the strength of the lineage? I've been convinced that this stuff matters for a tree you want to last 30 years but this is just a houseplant to look pretty, right? It seems to me that a houseplant monstera can't last many years without huge repeated chop and prop anyhow unless you're giving it an entire room of your house, so again they're kind of short term investments.

speak for yourself, I got tall ceilings I want to grow it BIG

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For care of fiddle leaf figs, do I prune it at some point?

My wife and I “planted” one during our wedding union ceremony about 4 years ago. I Re-potted it once and it’s doing pretty good, just dropping leaves occasionally, but the new growth more than keeps up with it.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I have a couple of potted fiddle leafs that are 6 feet tall. I cut them both a couple of months ago so now they're 2 feet or so. They're both shooting really well with beautiful glossy leaves. It was the start of spring when I did it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Eeyo posted:

For care of fiddle leaf figs, do I prune it at some point?

My wife and I “planted” one during our wedding union ceremony about 4 years ago. I Re-potted it once and it’s doing pretty good, just dropping leaves occasionally, but the new growth more than keeps up with it.

One of my favorite aesthetics is seeing fiddle leaf figs trimmed up like trees. Like, prune the main vertical growth so it just has a beautiful canopy, like #2 from the left here (which apparently is the only real plant in the picture anyway).

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/review-the-best-fake-faux-fiddle-leaf-fig-tree-world-market-wayfair-amazon-252704

By the way is there a houseplant thread I thought there was.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I know next to nothing about succulents and am trying to save and/or propagate a sedum that I rescued from a neglected arrangement. Disclaimer: this is a lovely Lowes plant, I just think it would be a good learning exercise

I cleaned up all of the obviously dead stuff and bottom watered, then let it sit a couple days. Yesterday, I took all of the plants out to check their roots and let them dry as the mix they were in from the store was still soaking wet.

Should I just repot these directly and see what happens? I haven't found any gritty mix locally yet, but I was able to find crushed lava rock and pea gravel (both perhaps on the chunky size though) at my local fertilizer store. I also have on hand a little bit of Miracle Gro cactus potting mix and the very dregs of a perlite bag (which is mostly dust).

They lost a bunch of leaves as I was working with them; most of them started to rot immediately, but one seems like it may have some hope. It's shriveling a bit at the base - is it still viable?

(This is not the leaf in the first pic)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'm not experienced enough to be able to diagnose from a picture but some shriveling is normal - the base will dry up a bit to form a callous, and then fart out some root leaders looking for soil. Let it dry a bit and wait for the roots to show up then make sure they're in contact with soil, lightly mist the whole shebang and the lil leaf should be rocking and rolling

if you're looking for an additive to help with drainage I'd recommend poultry grit (chicken/chick-specific grit will be a bit on the small side). it's cheap and works great, and the ones coated with probiotics are actually beneficial to keeping well-drained soil healthy. make sure it isn't the kind for egg-laying though, that might put a lot of extra minerals into the soil. I've heard it's fine to use but idk I have no personal experience with it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You can just propagate those in perlite if you can’t find anything else, or any soil really. They just don’t like it super wet

Perlite’s a PITA because it’s super light and can blow away and doesn’t weigh down your pot, which you might want if it’s small, but it’s a good inexpensive succulent propagation medium and relatively low mess

Second the misting while the cuttings are small/fresh. I would wait a week or two after cutting before watering most succulents, but if they look already calloused and you’re worried about them drying up you can play it by ear

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

indigi posted:

if you're looking for an additive to help with drainage I'd recommend poultry grit (chicken/chick-specific grit will be a bit on the small side). it's cheap and works great, and the ones coated with probiotics are actually beneficial to keeping well-drained soil healthy. make sure it isn't the kind for egg-laying though, that might put a lot of extra minerals into the soil. I've heard it's fine to use but idk I have no personal experience with it

I'll second chick grit as an additive for succulents. Depending on the plant it can also look great as a top-dressing. It drains well, looks nice, it's easy to work with, and it's inexpensive. Obviously it's heavier than pearlite but whether that's good or bad all depends what size pot this is and where you're putting it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
All the grit I can find cheaply/locally has “probiotics” (bacteria fermentation product) and vegetable oil added to it

what’s a good way to wash that stuff out? Ethanol? Not a detergent of some sort, I’d assume.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I dunno about vegetable oil though that seems strange, I wouldn't gently caress with that

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Forestry grit is a thing, though probably harder to find. You could probably purchase some off a tree seedling nursery if you have one nearby.

Detergent would be fine to use, just rinse really well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My friend has this weird plant that they said you can cut a leaf off and it will grow into a new plant. I took one leaf from her and planted it like this 3 weeks ago. It hasnt done anything yet but also it doesnt look like its dying or anything so idk whats up. Am i doing good?

Also my african violet is poppin off which makes me feel less weird for keeping a jar of old egg shells and water under the sink to water it with.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

My friend has this weird plant that they said you can cut a leaf off and it will grow into a new plant. I took one leaf from her and planted it like this 3 weeks ago. It hasnt done anything yet but also it doesnt look like its dying or anything so idk whats up. Am i doing good?

Also my african violet is poppin off which makes me feel less weird for keeping a jar of old egg shells and water under the sink to water it with.

I'm about 80% sure that is a snake plant. Those things are bulletproof.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Nah, that’s definitely an orchid cactus cutting

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kid sinister posted:

I'm about 80% sure that is a snake plant. Those things are bulletproof.

It only looks like one cause its one leaf. This plant is like a network of viny shoots once grown up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm thinking about getting some sundew seeds and reside in the general area of a hundred miles north of Houston, TX. What do.

They're supposedly amenable to our lovely weather and worse soil.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm thinking about getting some sundew seeds and reside in the general area of a hundred miles north of Houston, TX. What do.

They're supposedly amenable to our lovely weather and worse soil.

Based on my experience: start them indoors in peat moss or a similar low-nutrient soil. They like warmth and humidity as seedlings, but not too much because then you get mold. Once they're growing, they need a lot of light.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Should I just repot these directly and see what happens? I haven't found any gritty mix locally yet, but I was able to find crushed lava rock and pea gravel (both perhaps on the chunky size though) at my local fertilizer store. I also have on hand a little bit of Miracle Gro cactus potting mix and the very dregs of a perlite bag (which is mostly dust).

They lost a bunch of leaves as I was working with them; most of them started to rot immediately, but one seems like it may have some hope. It's shriveling a bit at the base - is it still viable?

(This is not the leaf in the first pic)

You can repot the stems, yes. For the leaves, you don't even really have to do anything to them. I rest mine on a bog standard cactus soil and they will either flower/root or they won't. Don't water or they will probably rot. The new plants get their moisture from the leaf so usually they shrivel as the flower/roots grow.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

any recs for general, detailed books/blogs/podcasts about orchids (or a survey for a genera like cattleya or oncidium) would be appreciated. there's a ton of videos on youtube but they're all pretty specific and highlight discrete characteristics/problems/care of a specific species. which are great, but I really enjoy having an overview of a plant group

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I don't have a recommendation but I have to say I don't trust orchids. They are not of this world.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
plants harness energy from stars, they're already celestial

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Anyone know what this is? They were put in by the previous owner and they are going pretty crazy, but seem like offshoots of the main shrub. I feel like they definitely need pruning but im not sure what to cut.

Google lens wasn't crazy helpful. This is in north texas.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bobua fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe someone else can help you with that picture, but I can't even make out the leaves at that quality.