Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Well, like I said I don't disagree it isn't a huge plothole, but I don't think it's not there.

We just had a chapter where the government sanctioned mass murder of a whole kingdom, not to mention another chapter where a kingdom was vaporized completely. Point being, they already aren't subtle.

Following Alabasta, you send two admirals out to arrest the kid. Maybe have a Celestial Dragon set sail along the same path as him to explain the extra strength detail, idk. Lock him away in Impel Down, boom don't have to worry about the fruit for however long he survives down there.

That would be a much less fun story, and I think Oda navigated it well enough.

I mean, after Alabasta, what happened to the Strawhats?

They go beat up some punk in Jaya and seemingly die running their ship into a waterspout. Next time they show up on the lower sea, they do in fact run into an admiral for the first time. And then they're just openly at war with the WG after Enies Lobby.

It's almost like... the bureaucratic powers of the WG are much better equipped to deal with threats that stay put, in one place, for long periods of time. Not pirates who are out on the seas roaming around, having adventures. Which is why they need some sort of force that can deal with problems in that piratical fashion. Either former pirates or weird super-powered clones of those pirates :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
At the same time, you also have all of the other Supernovas making waves, the Revolutionaries attacking kingdoms, and the Yonko all being potential threats that could attack at any time. This doesn't even mention all of the pirates/similar threats that were dealt with off-screen that we'll never find out about. The World Government and the Navy only have so many resources to go around. If they dedicate major resources to Luffy, not only do they tip their hand to the importance of the Gum-Gum Fruit, but they also leave all of these other antagonistic forces unchecked.

Also, Luffy did get Admirals sicked on him at least twice. He only escaped due to plot armor. If Kuzan hadn't spared them or if Kuma/Rayleigh hadn't intervened when Kizaru attacked, then the Straw Hats would have been annihilated long ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Plutonis posted:

Lol gently caress the Giant Hat on Imu's possession is actually the first Nika's/Joyboy's I'm calling it

This is where I also put out my pet theory that Joyboy was Binks, from Sake.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the WG and their associated forces did try to stop luffy at basically every turn, they just constantly failed. even if they didn't know his potential importance, it's absurd how much luffy gets away with on the face of it.

he runs into a marine base, defeats every single fighter and recruits their other prisoner.

later it turns out that more marines were on the take and he beats the pirates they're propping up, more information never makes it to the WG.

he runs into a warlord who should be the one to kill him, instead defeats him as a rookie.

he runs into an admiral, the admiral Just So Happens to have reasons for letting him and his crew go, so he does.

he runs into the world's premier assassination group, then he literally sails to the Supreme Court and declares war on the world, defeats the assassin group, gets a full on buster call brought upon him and manages to escape because his boat grew a loving soul

runs into another warlord who fails in his job to beat him. then another warlord, the most "loyal" warlord, who just so happens to have a ton of reasons for not actually doing his job, lets him go.

legit just punches the ruler of the world, gets an admiral called on him, gets more magic escape by the most "loyal" warlord

invades the highest security prison, escapes.

shows up in front of every powerful marine on the planet, escapes.

and that's all just pre-TS. they ARE trying to stop him, they literally just cannot.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

We just saw Kuma watching Luffy do a rubber attack while screaming the word rubber in the same chapter we see Kuma telling Bonney that Nika had a rubber body, there’s a good chance Kuma figured it out. That scene was so weird and contrived, it’s like Oda forgot to add those details earlier or realized he had to add them for the timeline to make sense.

I just figured Kuma's been watching over Luffy on the sly on Dragon's behalf, since he definitely knows he's his best friends son by this point. Maybe he takes whatever opportunity he can get to swing by Dawn Island now that he's a Warlord and he doesn't have to freak out over his daughters terminal illness.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

the WG and their associated forces did try to stop luffy at basically every turn, they just constantly failed. even if they didn't know his potential importance, it's absurd how much luffy gets away with on the face of it.

he runs into a marine base, defeats every single fighter and recruits their other prisoner.

later it turns out that more marines were on the take and he beats the pirates they're propping up, more information never makes it to the WG.

he runs into a warlord who should be the one to kill him, instead defeats him as a rookie.

he runs into an admiral, the admiral Just So Happens to have reasons for letting him and his crew go, so he does.

he runs into the world's premier assassination group, then he literally sails to the Supreme Court and declares war on the world, defeats the assassin group, gets a full on buster call brought upon him and manages to escape because his boat grew a loving soul

runs into another warlord who fails in his job to beat him. then another warlord, the most "loyal" warlord, who just so happens to have a ton of reasons for not actually doing his job, lets him go.

legit just punches the ruler of the world, gets an admiral called on him, gets more magic escape by the most "loyal" warlord

invades the highest security prison, escapes.

shows up in front of every powerful marine on the planet, escapes.

and that's all just pre-TS. they ARE trying to stop him, they literally just cannot.

The WG were biggest frauds of them all...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tbp posted:

Later on Sakazuki gave an admiral an ultimatum of “you’re not allowed to show your face until you kill strawhat” and even THAT didn’t work

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
So Bonney has basically had an awakened fruit this entire time, right? She can do weird poo poo with it like distorted future and in her intro she was already making the people around her change their age.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

So Bonney has basically had an awakened fruit this entire time, right? She can do weird poo poo with it like distorted future and in her intro she was already making the people around her change their age.

I mean, there is a long standing trope in fiction of the power of children’s imagination. I would guess because she’s a kid that she possibly just has an awakened fruit as it seems like devil fruit need for the user to reach past reality.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I think people are reading waaaay too much into what Bonney's fruit can do. Distorted Future just reads to me as "this is what I wanna be when I grow up!" taken to its logical extreme; its an interesting and creative take on what at first seemed to be a really niche powerset and I don't think Oda put much more thought into it than that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

if the world government killed luffy at any point prior to wano, garp (the hero of the navy and probably the strongest non-devil fruit individual in the world) would probably have joined his son in the revolutionary army…..talk about putting the cart before the horse

they might have been worried about that before, but now there's an established precedent that the wg can kill garp's grandkids and he won't do poo poo.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm fine with Bonney conceivably having the Timeline-Timeline Fruit as opposed to being just Age-Age based It feels more up Oda's alley as far as funky fruits go.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I think people are reading waaaay too much into what Bonney's fruit can do. Distorted Future just reads to me as "this is what I wanna be when I grow up!" taken to its logical extreme; its an interesting and creative take on what at first seemed to be a really niche powerset and I don't think Oda put much more thought into it than that.

I both agree, but I'm also mulling the exact opposite lol we don't see her eat the fruit, which could simply be not wanting to waste panels on something as mundane as seeing the fruit among a bunch others and eating it, and the rules of the scales disease are so specific, what if that's where devil fruits come from? that part of the reason why Celestial Dragons have slaves is that to produce Devil Fruits you need someone with the scale disease with an intense, intense desire, and being a slave living in the brink of death is a surefire way for someone to have such a desire. Why did we never hear of this disease that births devil fruits before? Jinny got kidnapped and died little over two years later, this process is fairly fast.

All that nonsense to say that if a devil fruit user dies, their fruit seems to respawn. If the origin of that is this scale disease, then it comes to reason that the power is already there if you have the disease, but obviously if you'll die when you're on the sun you won't get to develop the power, so now Bonney has the rawest devil fruit power, possibly unbound from other rules devil fruits have; her "age age" ""fruit"" power is just whatever she wants, first manifested as being old enough to travel with her dad

or she ate the age-age fruit and alternate timelines is a cool idea a 10 year old came up with

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they might have been worried about that before, but now there's an established precedent that the wg can kill garp's grandkids and he won't do poo poo.

i think it would be different with luffy than it was with ace

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I don't know why people are suddenly acting all conspiratorial about someone eating a fruit that gives you magic powers in this, the manga where people eat fruit that gives you magic powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Fruit That Makes You Old

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

i think it would be different with luffy than it was with ace

ah yes, because luffy is the grandson he loves

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Bonney didn’t eat a fruit, the characters just assumed she did after seeing her powers and then went looking for one that sounds similar. It’s confirmation bias. She developed the power on her own. This makes more sense than her randomly finding the fruit in the one room that she never leaves.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bonney didn't find the fruit, the fruit found her... :ohdear:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What year did Toki die?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Oda confirms in SBS 107 that did she did eat a fruit called the Toshi Toshi no Mi (Age-Age Fruit).

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Kild posted:

What year did Toki die?

Twenty years prior to the present day.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Bleck posted:

Oda confirms in SBS 107 that did she did eat a fruit called the Toshi Toshi no Mi (Age-Age Fruit).

Oda said Bonney is 24 or something

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also they know the name of the fruit in the text. its in the book. no way it would be in the DF book if it was tokis fruit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ah yes, because luffy is the grandson he loves

this is one of those statements of character that will be proven beyond a reasonable doubt during the Garp Flashback.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Oda said Bonney is 24 or something

I mean, maybe she was at the time? :v:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the line oda writes immediately after sayin shes 24 is like "probably, who knows with her fruit"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

scary ghost dog posted:

this is one of those statements of character that will be proven beyond a reasonable doubt during the Garp Flashback.

he's already done so for his adoptive grandson in coby

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Garp's flashback is just going to be him sleeping through pivotal scenes with other important characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Excited for the Garp flashback. He's so cool.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Scholtz posted:

Garp's flashback is just going to be him sleeping through pivotal scenes with other important characters.

Don’t forget eating meat, flickin boogs, and fixing up buildings.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

PuttyKnife posted:

Don’t forget eating meat, flickin boogs, and fixing up buildings.

Noticeably absent from Garp's memories: how those buildings got broken.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Unrelated, but I'd flip my poo poo if Gear Five Luffy uses his powers to jump outside of the manga frame for a sneak attack on an enemy akin to Blueno using his Door-Door ability to leap from subspace.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am not looking forward to the garp flashback because his reputation began at god valley. that's where he first became known as hero of the marines (for saving the celestial dragons who were having their regularly scheduled large scale human hunt). i would like to know what the heck roger was doing, though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Unrelated, but I'd flip my poo poo if Gear Five Luffy uses his powers to jump outside of the manga frame for a sneak attack on an enemy akin to Blueno using his Door-Door ability to leap from subspace.

The Luffy/Blackbeard fight is absolutely going to crash through the other chapters of the SJ issue it's printed in

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Scholtz posted:

The Luffy/Blackbeard fight is absolutely going to crash through the other chapters of the SJ issue it's printed in

Denji and Nayuta sitting on the couch as Teach and Luffy powerbomb their living room.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The first pop-up manga

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Luffy jumping between manga panels as Blackbeard vacuums them up with the awakened Yami Yami fruit

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Blackbeard crashing through the actual physical wall closest to you and your eyeballs pop out of your head in surprise, then Garp shows up to fix the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blackbeard throws seawater on Gear 5 Luffy and for the next couple panels he is a photo of Iñaki Godoy