Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The story might've not needed sword guy and sumo guy but I certainly enjoyed their inclusion, even knowing it contributed to the meandering bloat of the Culling Game arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

yum posted:

I edited my post after I realized it would come off as weird and sexist, not my intention. Gege clearly really liked Toji and probably regrets writing him off so soon so it sometimes feels like he’s using Maki as a substitute. Her awakening was literally accompanied by a line comparing her to Toji, not to mention the multiple side-by-side panels of the two.

I mean they compare her but a lot of people are compared to other characters in this and besides having similar abilities they're not really the same character at all. Maki has been entirely defined by her relationships to other characters and how she cares for them and teaches/learns from them and Toji is the exact opposite of that.

She's not really treated as a substitute for him. Hell, she had the same abilities BEFORE toji was introduced, they were just weaker. She's not been molded in his image.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if anything toji was a tease of what we would later get from maki

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If you wanna stretch as broad as I think you could, you could at most say that Toji was a substitute for Maki given he first appeared in a flashback where she couldn't possibly be present, long after she and her deal were set up and introduced.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Both Toji and Maki are the inevitable results of the rigid Jujutsu society sowing the seeds of its own destruction through its intolerance, but Maki is the positive face of that, someone who has learned to care for and live for someone other than herself. And the loss of that person presumably has made her a thousand times more dangerous (please let that pay off, Gege)

(Edit: okay well, it actually already has paid off to some large extent since Maki, not Toji, has actually succeeded in breaking the lovely Zen'in clan, so that's good)

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 2, 2023

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Both Toji and Maki are the inevitable results of the rigid Jujutsu society sowing the seeds of its own destruction through its intolerance, but Maki is the positive face of that, someone who has learned to care for and live for someone other than herself. And the loss of that person presumably has made her a thousand times more dangerous (please let that pay off, Gege)

(Edit: okay well, it actually already has paid off to some large extent since Maki, not Toji, has actually succeeded in breaking the lovely Zen'in clan, so that's good)

you could say the same about toji and his wife.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What makes the culling game a bit puzzling to me is the game rules itself don't play a lot into the action, there's some twists for sure but a simpler scenairo like shybuya would have worked better.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Honest Thief posted:

What makes the culling game a bit puzzling to me is the game rules itself don't play a lot into the action, there's some twists for sure but a simpler scenairo like shybuya would have worked better.

The rules of the game were supposed to be in conflict to the laws and norms of modern world, and the modern players were going to adjust the rules to fit their needs. Nonetheless, at this point, the mangaka seems to cut out the interesting implications that can arise when players with other agendas add difficult or conflicting rules, so the culling game itself is now just a narrative device to reach the story's ending.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Positively giddy after this chapter. I feel like we’re starting a pachinko jackpot run as we roll over how hype the last fight was into how hype this fight is going to be.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/_EnemyStandUser/status/1731146376275235288?s=20

Oh man, summon Mahoraga and watch it become the best Defense Lawyer in Japan :allears:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Apocron posted:

Positively giddy after this chapter. I feel like we’re starting a pachinko jackpot run as we roll over how hype the last fight was into how hype this fight is going to be.
I love Yuji's exasperation about the statute of limitations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Oh man, summon Mahoraga and watch it become the best Defense Lawyer in Japan :allears:

Sadly I think Mahoraga is gone for good. I also would’ve really liked to see if it could adapt to Japan’s legal system

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Lmfao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Remembering this also

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Makora adapts to society.

Original

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

But also is Makora also a correct translation? Like Sukuna's Kitchen?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Makora is one of the 12 divine generals who protect and serve Yakushi Nyorai, the Medicine Buddha. Mahoraga is the original/interchangeable Sanskrit reading of his name.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Yeah, it's Makora in the original Japanese edition. Mahoraga was a choice made by the official translation staff.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

They made the right choice

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this manga has the worst official translation ive ever read

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

scary ghost dog posted:

this manga has the worst official translation ive ever read
The original translator turned out to a pedophile (what ended their tenure was getting busted with CP, but they had also gotten booted out of Japan for putting a camera in a grade school changing room as a JET participant) and the replacement is one of the weaker freelance localizers that Viz hires for stuff (previous works include the official translation for Demon Slayer).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

The original translator turned out to a pedophile (what ended their tenure was getting busted with CP, but they had also gotten booted out of Japan for putting a camera in a grade school changing room as a JET participant) and the replacement is one of the weaker freelance localizers that Viz hires for stuff (previous works include the official translation for Demon Slayer).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Conspiratiorist posted:

Makora is one of the 12 divine generals who protect and serve Yakushi Nyorai, the Medicine Buddha. Mahoraga is the original/interchangeable Sanskrit reading of his name.

oh god it has basically the same name as Makura from the hit browser game Granblue Fantasy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

lol

But also is Makora also a correct translation? Like Sukuna's Kitchen?

The Shrine/Kitchen translation made me curious. Apparently the word used for the second half of his technique/DE can either refer to the room where food is served for a royal or it can refer to the storage box of relics in a shrine. The Fillet/Dissect thing I like as a match with Kitchen but looking it up there doesn't seem to be a specific word used that means those. IIRC for cleave at least it's a term that might be used for like splitting a helm or something.

This post has a bunch of translation explanations for all of those

https://www.reddit.com/r/JuJutsuKaisen/comments/17xt6mz/crunchyrolls_makora_malevolent_kitchen_fillet_and/

While looking it up I found a kind of interesting reddit theory (that's quite old by now). It basically suggest that Sukuna's ability is about storing abilities and his markings which have changed a bit represent what he's currently storing. That invoking Open (with that black box symbol) is a reference to the black box on his shoulder for example. There is a lot to the theory and quite a bit I don't think is right but has some interesting ideas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JuJutsuKaisen/comments/ljous7/sukunas_curse_techniques_explaining_dismantle_and/

This is possibly discussed to death previously in this thread but I only caught up to JJK when Charles showed up or thereabouts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CR also seem to have changed it from Makora to Mahoraga now. I guess to be inline with Viz but I'm not sure. As Makora just seems to be correct (and also what Megumi's VA says?)

They also translated it as "eight grip sword" instead of "eight handled" which is lamer imo

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The VAs say Makora, yes.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So what's going on with itadoris arms?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They're probably cursed tools of some sort (ie gauntlets), but it's entirely possible they're a new ability he manifested from consuming the remaining Death Paintings. Him thanking Kamo while mentioning Choso is a bad teacher implies he's acquired Blood Manipulation, if nothing else.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think Yuji was just thanking Kamo because Choso decided to home school him so he could finish high school and hes a death womb painting, he doesnt even know algebra

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

I think Yuji was just thanking Kamo because Choso decided to home school him so he could finish high school and hes a death womb painting, he doesnt even know algebra

Choso should know everything his host body did.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

So what's going on with itadoris arms?

We literally saw art of him putting on only one gauntlet and as he was descending he was clearly putting both on. They're a cursed tool. It's not that deep.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

We literally saw art of him putting on only one gauntlet and as he was descending he was clearly putting both on. They're a cursed tool. It's not that deep.
Pretty sure we've seen Yuta wearing the same gauntlets so Yuji probably got them from him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maki and Yuta bonding over Yuji breaking their poo poo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The Shrine/Kitchen translation made me curious. Apparently the word used for the second half of his technique/DE can either refer to the room where food is served for a royal or it can refer to the storage box of relics in a shrine. The Fillet/Dissect thing I like as a match with Kitchen but looking it up there doesn't seem to be a specific word used that means those. IIRC for cleave at least it's a term that might be used for like splitting a helm or something.

I'm going to just assume at this point it's a deliberate pun, given how much Sukuna talks about food.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Maki and Yuta bonding over Yuji breaking their poo poo.

Excuse me. Gojo lost Maki's dagger so if she has any complaints she can take it up with him. Or half of him really

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
The real killer? Yup, that's right: Society. Jujutsu Society.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This episode of JJK was so good. They expanded a lot on the fight and also honored the best bits. Plus Todo did an iconic all might impression

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I miss Todo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That Todo black flash is one of the best things I've ever seen and man they just kept building up from there. I've been very happy with how they've handled the Mahito fight, even if the animation hasn't been Completely Perfect At All Times. Genuine only complain is that they didn't do so hot with setting up the killing blow on Nobara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Speaking of Nobara, they really do spend a lot of time confirming that she has been taking care of and that the chance of her living is not 0 percent for it to not lead to anything. This isn’t even copium, if she’s dead I’d be fine with that but it would just be weird to draw so much attention to it.

Then again the author also had Gojo be freed in the dumbest way so maybe he just leaves stuff in and thinks about how to deal with that later.