Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

German engineering.

And those are just the controls for the toilet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zopotantor posted:

And those are just the controls for the toilet!

I guess that explains what happened to U-1206 at least.

The sub commander didn't perform the proper valve opening procedure to flush the toilet and opened the toilet directly to the ocean while submerged. Enough pressurized water shot out of the toilet to swamp the batteries and they had to surface while not far from a British patrol. Some say the captain did this on purpose so his crew would be captured alive instead of them being sunk with all hands. Others say the captain was too embarrassed by the poo poo he'd just taken to call someone that fully trained to operate the toilet. Either way, I'll bet being in that room when the valve opened was exciting!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cat Hatter posted:

I guess that explains what happened to U-1206 at least.

The sub commander didn't perform the proper valve opening procedure to flush the toilet and opened the toilet directly to the ocean while submerged. Enough pressurized water shot out of the toilet to swamp the batteries and they had to surface while not far from a British patrol. Some say the captain did this on purpose so his crew would be captured alive instead of them being sunk with all hands. Others say the captain was too embarrassed by the poo poo he'd just taken to call someone that fully trained to operate the toilet. Either way, I'll bet being in that room when the valve opened was exciting!
I feel like having the "flush toilet" lever right next to the "drown us all" lever might be a design flaw?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

I feel like having the "flush toilet" lever right next to the "drown us all" lever might be a design flaw?

The toilets were badly-designed, yes, though in fairness, flushing a toilet while submerged isn't an entirely trivial process.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wheatpuppy posted:

At minimum the procedure was:
  1. Open valve between toilet and sewage tank
  2. Close valve
  3. Pressurize sewage tank to higher than outside pressure
  4. Open valve between sewage tank and ocean

...and I wouldn't put it past the Germans to make it even more complicated than that. They were deeper than 60 meters underwater so thats about 90 psi coming back into a toilet from a valve big enough for poo poo to pass through.

I just looked it up and the captain's name was named Schlitt. I bet the Royal Navy had fun with that after they fished the crew out of the water.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

wheatpuppy posted:

It’s German efficiency.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's all pipes!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hell, one of the theories about what sunk the USS Scorpion was that the trash disposal unit malfunctioned and flooded the boat because it had almost done it a few times before!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I was warned on a sailboat not to leave the valve open for the head after flushing by hand pump because it could flood the boat. I would just never poo poo if I was on a ww2 sub…

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

raggedphoto posted:

I was warned on a sailboat not to leave the valve open for the head after flushing by hand pump because it could flood the boat. I would just never poo poo if I was on a ww2 sub…

You would make them surface and you'd poo poo over the side while dodging torpedos and machine gun rounds.

Truly the most realistic version of battle shits.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Surely there is a depth at which you could press your butt against a porthole and push a turd outside against the water pressure.

E: possibly not. Googling for human fecal squeeze pressure gives a reading of 196mmhg (0.26 bar). My plumbing knowledge tells me that you get 1 bar of static pressure every 10m of water depth/ height. In theory you can't poo poo in water more than 2.6m deep. It doesn't sound right though. We need to see if some freedivers have ever tried to poop deep down.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 9, 2023

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Azza Bamboo posted:

Surely there is a depth at which you could press your butt against a porthole and push a turd outside against the water pressure.

E: possibly not. Googling for human fecal squeeze pressure gives a reading of 196mmhg (0.26 bar). My plumbing knowledge tells me that you get 1 bar of static pressure every 10m of water depth/ height. In theory you can't poo poo in water more than 2.6m deep. It doesn't sound right though. We need to see if some freedivers have ever tried to poop deep down.

Please update us on your findings, I need to know this now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you’re directly immersed, internal and external pressure will be more or less equal, so you’d still have that +.26.

Now, if your rear end in a top hat is an integral part of a larger pressure hull, yeah, it could get tricky.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
There was a good poster, oceanographister by trade, who claimed to have shitted some reef under emergency conditions. I believe he was at a depth greater than 2.6m at the time. IIRC he had one of the crazy-Alaskan-governor-in-a-red-dress avatar for a while. You ask a niche question and there's some goon who has expertise in the matter, be it traffic-lights sequencing or reef-making GBS threads.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
At some depth, the pressure is going to push that turd further back in you

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Bad Munki posted:

If you’re directly immersed, internal and external pressure will be more or less equal, so you’d still have that +.26.

Now, if your rear end in a top hat is an integral part of a larger pressure hull, yeah, it could get tricky.

and that's why you put your finger in a leaky dike and not your rear end in a top hat

among other reasons

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How deep could the goatman go before water intruded in to his rear end in a top hat?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

karoshi posted:

There was a good poster, oceanographister by trade, who claimed to have shitted some reef under emergency conditions. I believe he was at a depth greater than 2.6m at the time.

Is making GBS threads at 3 metres depth such a memorable accomplishment, and what was the emergency that prevented him from rising to surface? Sharks?

Also I thought that reefs are a bit deeper, that's practically at surface.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nenonen posted:

Is making GBS threads at 3 metres depth such a memorable accomplishment, and what was the emergency that prevented him from rising to surface? Sharks?

There are many depths greater than 2.6m that are also greater than 3m. He was probably at one of those.

My guess is that he didn't have time to decompress.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

My guess is that he didn't have time to decompress.

By the story, he did :dadjoke:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Nenonen posted:

Stomach troubles. Either food poisoning or bad beer. No time to get up to the boat and remove the wetsuit, iirc. It was also a group dive and he just opened the emergency valve as the internal pressure rose beyond the hull rating. There are some reef fishies that enjoy poop, no matter how weird the pooper fish looks. They were happy for a super size ration.

My memory is a bit hazy and some details might not be accurate.

Nenonen posted:

By the story, he did :dadjoke:

:lol:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

karoshi posted:

There was a good poster, oceanographister by trade, who claimed to have shitted some reef under emergency conditions. I believe he was at a depth greater than 2.6m at the time. IIRC he had one of the crazy-Alaskan-governor-in-a-red-dress avatar for a while. You ask a niche question and there's some goon who has expertise in the matter, be it traffic-lights sequencing or reef-making GBS threads.

Are you talking about Trig Discipline?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

Are you talking about Trig Discipline?

yes!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Many are saying this.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

karoshi posted:

IIRC they had photographic evidence of this occurring, they looked like a rocket launching on top of a brown exhaust plume.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

corgski posted:

and that's why you put your finger in a leaky dike and not your rear end in a top hat

among other reasons

you had no cause to speak of my mother in such a way and I won't forget this

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Well what else can you do? Raise the ceiling?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What’s that weird brown plastic fixture behind the shower?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Previous owners left a children's wardrobe which is actually useful but I was looking at it today while trying to find something and went "hang on a sec...." and turns out the reason one door slams is not because my 3 year old has flagrant disregard for her fingers, it's because they fit both soft close hinges on the door on one side and the slam hinges on the other.

Then, while fixing that, I realised that the shelf part was in backwards which is why one door doesn't close properly as it catches on the shelf (I thought it was just cheap), turn it round and guess what? Now there are holes for rubber stand offs to indicate which way the front is! The door is warped now from this, but never mind.

It's like they looked at the instructions and those "!" Important bits and went "huh, I wonder who that's for?".

Also they'd replaced the knobs on it but not cut down the screw threads so there were big bits of metal sticking out the back of them : rolleyes:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It’s German efficiency.

Having had to work with German engineers' work, it is. That's the level of it, always. The fact is they've never ever been efficient at engineering anything besides genocide. (Seriouspost.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Previous owners left a children's wardrobe which is actually useful but I was looking at it today while trying to find something and went "hang on a sec...." and turns out the reason one door slams is not because my 3 year old has flagrant disregard for her fingers, it's because they fit both soft close hinges on the door on one side and the slam hinges on the other.

Then, while fixing that, I realised that the shelf part was in backwards which is why one door doesn't close properly as it catches on the shelf (I thought it was just cheap), turn it round and guess what? Now there are holes for rubber stand offs to indicate which way the front is! The door is warped now from this, but never mind.

It's like they looked at the instructions and those "!" Important bits and went "huh, I wonder who that's for?".

Also they'd replaced the knobs on it but not cut down the screw threads so there were big bits of metal sticking out the back of them : rolleyes:

There are plenty of smart parents out there but more dumb people have kids than brilliant people... probably also some sleep deprivation going on there.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

the yeti posted:

What’s that weird brown plastic fixture behind the shower?

Looks like part of the old shower, probably a retaining cap for a vertical pole.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

ComradePyro posted:

you had no cause to speak of my mother in such a way and I won't forget this

I'll speak of my girlfriend as I drat well please :colbert:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

There are plenty of smart parents out there but more dumb people have kids than brilliant people... probably also some sleep deprivation going on there.

Lots of otherwise smart people also categorically refuse to read directions carefully.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I remember assembling an IKEA shelving unit where someone reviewed it saying that none of the holes lined up and they had to drill all new holes and it baffles me how someone gets to that point without even considering that they might be doing it wrong.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Assembly instructions can be pretty tough to follow. The information is all usually there, but it’s not necessarily there on the step you’re looking at, and you often need to check the inventory to make sure you’re using the right part or look ahead to see how things fit together as a way of double-checking that you’ve got the orientation right. I’m pretty good at doing all that, but a lot of people would be better off with a step-by-step assembly video, which necessarily carries a lot of redundancy that’ll clear most of that up even if the presenter is bad at their job.

Of course, some people don’t seem to realize those details are important at all, and those people are just doomed.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

In my experience most people just toss the assembly instructions aside in the most cartoonish way possible and struggle for however long it takes to either end up with a part that doesn’t fit or break something

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Assembly instructions can be pretty tough to follow. The information is all usually there, but it’s not necessarily there on the step you’re looking at, and you often need to check the inventory to make sure you’re using the right part or look ahead to see how things fit together as a way of double-checking that you’ve got the orientation right. I’m pretty good at doing all that, but a lot of people would be better off with a step-by-step assembly video, which necessarily carries a lot of redundancy that’ll clear most of that up even if the presenter is bad at their job.

Of course, some people don’t seem to realize those details are important at all, and those people are just doomed.

Not everyone built piles of legos as a kid and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Some years ago I bought a kitchen at Ikea. We spent like an hour trying to put this thing together after finishing most of the rest, but there was no way this thing would fit together properly. We gave up and handed the problem over to the people who were doing the actual kitchen install + mounting and they had to get pretty creative to get it to work. Apparently Ikea put the wrong plate in the box, who would have thought... :v: