Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah during the weekend I had it on in the background, I'm actually not at all a fan of long form video essays and would rather he'd just have published an article I could have read in an hour. But I wanted a deep dive and that's the medium I had to use.

Regarding the blame game, it's not YouTuber hearsay if it's backed up by repeated clips of the lead designer in round tables talking about why he doesn't use a design document after finding them more trouble when they were worth during Fallout 3, or the Skyrim Lead (that has since left Bethesda) talking about how Todd Howard isn't as approachable as he used to be because of his increasing work load, his changing responsibilities, and also the distancing of Covid.

Furthermore, I don't seek this information because I want a target for my vitriol - I want to understand why Starfield failed. And while some of those reasons can be easily intuited from playing the game (ex: the discreet cells), others, like a large decentralized team with somewhat disengaged seniors still trying to run like a small, closely enmeshed group, isn't as surface level apparent from playing. And, pointedly, the former of those problems won't be an issue in ES6, but the later will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

- I want to understand why Starfield failed. And while some of those reasons can be easily intuited from playing the game (ex: the discreet cells), others, like a large decentralized team with somewhat disengaged seniors still trying to run like a small, closely enmeshed group, isn't as surface level apparent from playing

This is why I’m so fascinated by Starfield even though I gave up on playing it a while back- its failure is legit interesting in ways that other games I dislike, or even can’t stand, aren’t. It made a super good early impression on me and then as I played the more I realized the stuff that worked for me early weren’t actually aspects of the game as a whole because they had been taken out for reasons of not scale or budget, but just general design incoherence. I love games where their reach exceeds their grasp but that’s not what happened with Starfield, despite the scope- they made a game that promised the stars but planned on putting some glow in the dark stickers on your bedroom ceiling. Just a Potemkin village-rear end game.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I actually liked the game for a good while, the ship design was fun and all that. The thing that actually, weirdly enough, actually turned me on the game was Heller.

He's just kind of a glaring example of why this game falls so short. I at first thought he was kind of compelling. If you listen to his little dialogue tree, he ties in with Titan where you can actually go. I figured this was a breadcrumb to get you to explore. You make it to Titan and there's 0 for him there. His family he mentions it totally absent. He doesn't react in any way. He seemingly has no more to say besides his first two topics (and two more if you console edit him I think, I couldn't ever gain approval). It just all falls so flat. I tried sticking him in a settlement, it didn't do anything.

Stacking up against Baldur's Gate 3 just really showed that there's not much for you there. BG3 would've had that kick off a sidequest. It's totally shallow and pointless. I understand he's not a "full" companion, but in a way his inclusion is almost worse. Why bother even including these flat as hell characters? Then you start asking that question about the rest of the game and you start to realize that kind of applies to every mechanic and feature.

Then Phantom Liberty comes out and again it's a one-two punch of games which I feel are kind of doing something similar action adventure/RPG wise and it just totally turned me off from playing again.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 12, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Bethesda has spent the past 20 years since Morrowind constantly removing the traditional RPG elements of their game each title more and more streamlined to gain mass appeal, simplifying character building, systems design while having blander writing that refuses to say anything of value. Then Baldur's Gate 3 launches a month before Starfield and it has all the stuff Bethesda had been removing all that time and it was a way more successful game and completely ate Starfields lunch.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

When I saw the screenshot of the dwarf's penis, I knew it was over for Bethesda

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I clicked around the video for background noise at work today since some parts became too much like re-experiencing the whole game. The dev clips juxtapositions were the most interesting part.

The way they all laughed dismissively at how Morrowind handled player freedom, like they were looking back at a mistake or amateur error they had made, really clarified their view of their games and it is so different than how their players view and play them. And they go out of their way to design away the things that made their games unique, apparently seeing them as mistakes.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Not a single piece of Starfield ever quite gets there, with the sole exception of the sound effects department. I think the guns and rocket engines sound awesome, and I like the background sci fi synth poo poo.

Every other system leaves you hanging. There’s an illusion that things are complete - perks have tiers with a final termination point, guns can be fully upgraded, ships have stats that can be maxed, quests can be finished, companions can have max loyalty, outposts can finish a crafting loop.

But none of it quite gets there. None of it is really all that satisfying enough for you to say “I did it!” Money doesn’t matter, outposts don’t matter, half the perks don’t matter, XP scales exponentially, enemy AI is missing, fuel doesn’t matter, nearly all of the quests don’t matter, none of the companions are compelling, Space Marriage is pointless. Even the shipbuilder - which is really cool looking and can create some cosmetically remarkable ships, is stymied by the horrendous internal structures and the extremely shallow weapons systems. And then let’s say you do find something rewarding and finish it.

The ending of the game throws you in a time loop and says no. You’re never done. Keep playing this semi-finished slop piggy. Prestige mode. Double prestige. Here’s a Starborn ship, just for you. You thought it would be awesome? It’s completely empty inside. Just like this game.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The sound of the Orion is very satisfying

You should be able to see lasers going through enemies though

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

The sound of the Orion is very satisfying

not as satisfying as the sound of this Orion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q563FPQAv0s

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also premonition not showing like/dislike reactions is just fuckin baffling

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Sorry if this is off-topic, but can someone explain to me why fallout 4 is so disliked in this thread.

The main story/questline was terrible and I avoided it like the plague after the first play-through, but I feel like the core gameplay loop was pretty fun.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigRoman posted:

Sorry if this is off-topic, but can someone explain to me why fallout 4 is so disliked in this thread.

The main story/questline was terrible and I avoided it like the plague after the first play-through, but I feel like the core gameplay loop was pretty fun.

every single character in the game is a Masshole

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mostly the institute writing was so bad that the fridge moments were genuinely infuriating. It's been a long, long time, so I can't summon up the frustration I felt, but lets take a moment to recall that the institute filled the Commonwealth with death robots.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BigRoman posted:

Bad writing, bad story, terrible character stat system, bad quest design, lack of agency and role playing, lack of reactivity, railroading in quests, endless faction quests, endless outpost procgen chores that don't seem to matter in the world, even main quest design often involving or equalling radiant type poo poo that also ignores anything youve done or already been to.

If you're playing it as a looter shooter then it's another one of those and does that job. You can go explore places and it generates things to shoot and they drop crap to fiddle with to make combat even shorter and more routine next time and you can do that until you're bored of it. You can even explore the same places again and fight new spawned enemies, or have a quest send you to somewhere you just cleared out to fight new enemies spawned. I think they had someone else make their gunplay work like a modern game, and I can see why they immediately jumped to Fallout 76 since it was basically the parts of the game that weren't entirely made of criticism to fix.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mostly the institute writing was so bad that the fridge moments were genuinely infuriating. It's been a long, long time, so I can't summon up the frustration I felt, but lets take a moment to recall that the institute filled the Commonwealth with death robots.
They don't even have segments where you would do the things they actually concurrently do like raiding and sacking settlements which was the worst part for me (you had to wait for a DLC to do that for a much more logical cause, admittedly). The Legion path in NV had you do sick poo poo in comparison.

In regards to villainous activities you're asked to take part in, you're given rogue synths to track since that's less expensive to script and write quest dialogue for.

Being the good guy (as either RR or Minutemen) doesn't feel all that rewarding either, it was as compelling as Daggerfall's create-a-quests. Starfield at least leans into the looter shooter gimmick even moreso with multiple magic effects, and it's sort of easy to fix the weapon balance unlike Fallout 4. And there are four flavors of raider space pirate instead of just two!

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 12, 2023

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
"yes, you can be a pirate, just follow this simple set of steps to get the "i'm a pirate" badge and seal of approval, and if you tick one box on the way, you can be a sekrit agent piratemans"*

* whatever you do your team of valuable space friends with freak the gently caress out, but still be fine with a child on your ship while you gank spacemens

goty.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding the blame game, it's not YouTuber hearsay if it's backed up by repeated clips of the lead designer in round tables talking about why he doesn't use a design document after finding them more trouble when they were worth during Fallout 3, or the Skyrim Lead (that has since left Bethesda) talking about how Todd Howard isn't as approachable as he used to be because of his increasing work load, his changing responsibilities, and also the distancing of Covid.

Furthermore, I don't seek this information because I want a target for my vitriol - I want to understand why Starfield failed. And while some of those reasons can be easily intuited from playing the game (ex: the discreet cells), others, like a large decentralized team with somewhat disengaged seniors still trying to run like a small, closely enmeshed group, isn't as surface level apparent from playing. And, pointedly, the former of those problems won't be an issue in ES6, but the later will.

It still is the blame game if you insist that one person’s actions determined the quality of the game, especially when you think the game is already a failure (even though it was the best selling game in North America in September).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

space uncle posted:

Not a single piece of Starfield ever quite gets there, with the sole exception of the sound effects department. I think the guns and rocket engines sound awesome, and I like the background sci fi synth poo poo.

Yeah I actually think the score and the sound design are great. I also really like the NASApunk aesthetic, though I know some people hate it. I just think it really fits with what they were going for, and largely works quite well. Overall the designed environments are quite good - most of the POIs I actually did were well designed and interesting, the problem is just that they repeat too often and there's no point to doing them (and of course the sloppy bits like not having airlocks on freezing planets etc).

And the door technology; whoever did the doors and airlocks knocked it out of the loving park

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

space uncle posted:

Oh man, the "braap" from the Magshear is amazing, very satisfying. And I say this as someone who has played most of the game stealthily.

webmeister posted:

I also really like the NASApunk aesthetic, though I know some people hate it.

I don't hate it, but it's kinda weirdly inconsistent because there's so much "magic tech" in the world too. Visually, it's fine, it's just that it's not terribly cohesive with a lot of other things.

The sloppy bits kinda add up after a while too. Like, individually, I guess I don't care if there are skeletons and dung piles, and 1G standard gravity, in a cave on a frozen airless moon, or half-eaten sandwiches, bottles of beer, and a patio chair on a planet where it's 400° in the shade, but altogether it's a weirdly unsatisfying experience. The vacillation between "hard sci-fi" aesthetics and science fantasy implementations is jarring.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 12, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I deleted a long post I will sum up by saying "the generation ship"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I can understand, as a practical consideration, not being able to make that ship the correct size inside or out. But literally everything else about it was also completely half-assed, down to the ship terminals being literally the same ones you see in every POI.

They actually have unique terminals with unique interfaces in other locations, they just didn't make them for the 200-year old ship.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should have been fallout terminals and have the old hacking stuff

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I have never cared about internal vs external, probably because I can barely keep track of it anyway, I'll forgive any game for that. Everything looked brand new. It had eggmunds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was a great idea but both the ship itself and the associated quest are just :effort:

It's like a first draft that somehow got released in the final game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The choices boiled down to “spend a lot of money, spend a lot of time, or do a halfassed genocide”. It was so weird not even having to convince them to take the gravity drive and go somewhere else, they go from “we’re not backing down!” To “we’re backing down!” so fast I thought I glitched the quest.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The choices boiled down to “spend a lot of money, spend a lot of time, or do a halfassed genocide”. It was so weird not even having to convince them to take the gravity drive and go somewhere else, they go from “we’re not backing down!” To “we’re backing down!” so fast I thought I glitched the quest.

yeah I thought I accidentally skipped something when it sent me straight to the engineer instead of the captain

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I thought I accidentally skipped something when it sent me straight to the engineer instead of the captain

The end of the Freestar rangers quest felt the same way too. You get the evidence and I figured you’d bring that to the rangers like you do with all the other evidence but nope, gotta go confront the guy straight away with no backup!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is the generation ship this game's version of ghoul kid in a fridge?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm curious if they're planning some big content update after the new year or if the slow pace/low content of the updates since launch is indicative of them taking a holiday break and they have nothing going on

Like, is the studio treating this like some No Man's Sky/Cyberpunk salvage situation or are they just good with it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Steam review rebuttals certainly don’t make it seem like they’ve taken the criticism to heart.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they were trying to finish the game but random people kept wandering into the office and talking over them

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The only time Bethesda brings big gameplay changes are ones that come with DLCs and those tend to be related to common criticisms of the game, so I wouldn't expect anything until the DLC reveal.

They did say they wanted to do longterm, better support but so far they seems to be doing the same poo poo as before: only small incrememntal background changes in the engine, even though this time they don't have to constantly make the game work on Playstation.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Starfield is an aggressively Bethesda game. I rank it right along with Fallout 4 as a game with tons of poo poo that could be better while moving some things forward marginally. It's not terrible and it's more or less exactly what I expected it'd be. But like most Beth games post-Morrowind, it'll be the DLC/Expansions and mods that really turn this into something special.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Flowing Thot posted:

Bethesda has spent the past 20 years since Morrowind constantly removing the traditional RPG elements of their game each title more and more streamlined to gain mass appeal, simplifying character building, systems design while having blander writing that refuses to say anything of value. Then Baldur's Gate 3 launches a month before Starfield and it has all the stuff Bethesda had been removing all that time and it was a way more successful game and completely ate Starfields lunch.

It does seem like they're trying to please all of the people some of the time while Baldur's Gate 3 pleases some of the people all of the time.
It's funny, because the lesson from their own games is that you need to choose something to specialize in.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm curious if they're planning some big content update after the new year or if the slow pace/low content of the updates since launch is indicative of them taking a holiday break and they have nothing going on

Like, is the studio treating this like some No Man's Sky/Cyberpunk salvage situation or are they just good with it?

As someone who prepaid for the dlc I'd sure like to hear SOMETHING about it by now.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wouldnt mind the "nasa punk" aesthetic if it were the style of just one specific faction and one specific corner of the gameworld instead of dominating the entire thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd buy if they actually tried to do anything NASAlike with it but it was just a fancy way to say they have a completely generic baseline sci-fi style since all space aesthetics are informed by our only good examples of spaceships. Their whole aesthetic is basically avoiding heaps of hexagons with RGB lighting.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/...hare&utm_term=1

BethesdaGameStudios posted:

Hey everyone, first, we read all the feedback here and greatly appreciate it and all the time and thought you put into the game. This small update was to mostly address the “pet-asteroid" so many asked about following our last larger update, and we wanted to get that out before the holiday.

We’ve been hard at work on many of the issues you’ve posted, and expect an update early next year that will include a large number of “in-progress” quest fixes as well as FSR3 and XeSS. Though we fixed several quest issues from occurring, in-progress quest fixes are much harder to fix and we’ve built a new system to correct those without you having to roll back your save.

We’re also hard at work on many of new features you asked for, from city maps, to mod support, to all new ways of traveling (stay tuned!). These will be rolling out with a regular cadence of fixes and updates we expect to have roughly every six weeks. If something can be done in a smaller hotfix in between (like the asteroid), and we feel it’s safe, we’ll get one of those out as well. Safe is the key here. We do take a lot of time to test even the smallest change in a game this large and dynamic.

Hope this information helps. If there are items you want more info on, or issues to make us aware of, keep posting here or our official Discord. Thanks again for all your support of us and the game.

Disappointed to have no survival mode mentioned there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nice, that's what I was hoping to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

quote:

…game this large and dynamic

lol. Lmao, even. I can’t think of anything in this game that really changes from its base state at any time.