Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A solid turd is straight up better than hot diarrhea, yes. There is a spectrum, even for poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats the fuckin best page snipe I've ever made. I'm retiring now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The thing that really offends me about choppers isn't really their appearance or lack of function. It isn't my style, but I can sympathize with the idea of building something as an artistic statement first and foremost and not being too concerned about how well it rides; if you think about it, all bikes are on this spectrum of function vs form, something like a KLR is on the opposite end.

What truly offends me about (most) choppers is the absolutely dire lack of craftsmanship. They are just incredibly poorly built. It's like going to a michelin star restaurant and getting served a big mac. They're covered in garbage wiring harnesses, poorly machined ill-fitting parts, trash tier engineering across the board.

Like they're just really, really lovely. Not all of them, some are genuinely very well built by people who know exactly what they're doing. But most of them. I can see how something bespoke, built by an expert out of customized parts, can cost many tens of thousands of dollars even if it rides like crap, because you're paying for the labour hours of skilled craftsmen. But a collection of garbage off the shelf parts bolted together by amateur inbreeds is basically the exact same thing as those trashy stretched groms we talk about.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy where do you think Arch falls in that spectrum? They aren’t quite full bespoke WCC style but are definitely far from a production line. I don’t really have any feelings in particular on them but was curious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never seen one in person but my impression is they know what they're doing, mainly because there are many aspects of their bikes that could clearly look more aesthetic but are instead built for function foremost. Their geometry looks very carefully considered and not just whatever fork rake and wheelbase look super cool; what they're building is functionally a diavel style bike with a Harley motor with nowhere near the styling budget of Ducati, the results look pretty much bang on for what you'd get if you did everything right. Actually-fast cruisers tend to look really awkward.

Also Keanu is a genuinely good rider and bike appreciator, I doubt he'd get into the game if they were making garbage.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Well that’s cool to gear, wasn’t sure how much was just riding (heh) his name.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

For what it's worth, which is not fifty grand, WCC is much more highly regarded and legit than OCC

Jesse James from WCC quit making bikes to sell ridiculously priced custom guns, a good number of which look like they were inspired by skins from CoD

guess he got tired of anvils and English wheels and decided he'd rather gently caress around with lathes and end mills instead; figured he could bilk rich gun nuts just as easily as his former clientele, with less time invested

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The thing that really offends me about choppers isn't really their appearance or lack of function. It isn't my style, but I can sympathize with the idea of building something as an artistic statement first and foremost and not being too concerned about how well it rides; if you think about it, all bikes are on this spectrum of function vs form, something like a KLR is on the opposite end.

What truly offends me about (most) choppers is the absolutely dire lack of craftsmanship. They are just incredibly poorly built. It's like going to a michelin star restaurant and getting served a big mac. They're covered in garbage wiring harnesses, poorly machined ill-fitting parts, trash tier engineering across the board.

Like they're just really, really lovely. Not all of them, some are genuinely very well built by people who know exactly what they're doing. But most of them. I can see how something bespoke, built by an expert out of customized parts, can cost many tens of thousands of dollars even if it rides like crap, because you're paying for the labour hours of skilled craftsmen. But a collection of garbage off the shelf parts bolted together by amateur inbreeds is basically the exact same thing as those trashy stretched groms we talk about.

There's 2 scenes from American Chopper that have stayed with me:
First was a shot of their storage facility with all the frames and engines on shelves
Second was one of them absolutely whaling on an axle with a mallet to get it through the wheel.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

Jesse James from WCC quit making bikes to sell ridiculously priced custom guns, a good number of which look like they were inspired by skins from CoD

guess he got tired of anvils and English wheels and decided he'd rather gently caress around with lathes and end mills instead; figured he could bilk rich gun nuts just as easily as his former clientele, with less time invested

Its interesting rising to the highest levels of ones profession to combat rich people's ennui. I am a warrior for the bored and the wealthy. I mean this sincerely.

Shuka fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 5, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

For what it's worth, which is not fifty grand, WCC is much more highly regarded and legit than OCC

It seems like they each sell their sort of crummy motorcycle that they weld a lot of geegaws onto depending on the whim of the customer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Another custom bike but I like this one for some dumb reason.

Link if you care

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Take off the dumb surfboard thing and I'd happily ride that

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you actually took it to the beach and it didn’t contribute to the death of people somehow then I think it’s kinda cool. Like a sidecar for something other than a dog with goggles on.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

You do see actual surfers doing this with bicycles, though looking at this I’d be tempted to move it back enough to clear the front wheel and further inboard to exclude obese riders for their obvious failure to surf (not a surfer)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Assuming it gets used for its implied purpose, I think its pretty cool.

Bespoke thing-haulers are always neat to me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Need a surf person to tell us if the board is ornamental or an actually good surfing tool

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I can tell you from the location it's posted that it's nothing but a Cars and Coffee display piece

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Then I still like it but not the owner.

Poser. POSER.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

oh absolutely

Also that was an Always Sunny joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-OucPbBCo&t=154s

My old roommate basically had this happen. Small oopsie, big brain damage.

Wear helmets.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

TotalLossBrain posted:

Another custom bike but I like this one for some dumb reason.

Link if you care

Where the gently caress do you surf near lake oswego?!?? it’s at least a tank or two of gas to even mediocre waves

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Need a surf person to tell us if the board is ornamental or an actually good surfing tool

You could use that surfboard but it is not in use because it’s waxed rather than covered in ugly surf wax. Only one of those will stop the board from being like trying to stand on a moving slip n slide. It’s also facing the wrong way.

Anyway, there’s a guy who did that with a dr650 and posted about it on advrider (sorry) here. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/round-africa-with-a-surfboard.922561/

You can see how he carries his board and it still causes some problems for him. I spent some time and effort trying to figure out how to make it work at speeds greater than ~25 and I just couldn’t. It’s like a huge sail and if you hit any wind and have a flat 7’+ slab on the side of the bike things get sketchy fast. Works fine for riding slow though.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
No one in Lake Oswego surfs.

When I was doing a play that had a significant number of Black cast members about 10 years ago, they all referred to it as Lake NoNegro and every single one who had done a show at the play house down there had a story about being harassed by the police after singing and dancing to entertain the locals. They made other jokes that my white rear end laughed at but have no right to repeat.

I basically think of it as a place for rich, racist people and their catalytic converter thief failsons.

yes, exactly

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

No one in Lake Oswego surfs.

When I was doing a play that had a significant number of Black cast members about 10 years ago, they all referred to it as Lake NoNegro and every single one who had done a show at the play house down there had a story about being harassed by the police after singing and dancing to entertain the locals. They made other jokes that my white rear end laughed at but have no right to repeat.

I basically think of it as a place for rich, racist people and their catalytic converter thief failsons.

:911:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I don't understand. If you surf on that, you'll have to sit on the bike sideways

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So the 2000's chopper market was .. weird. There were a couple builders who knew ~something~. I'd put Jesse James and WCC in that category. Also Roland Sands. And there were lots of companies who just made ~art pieces~ where functionality was just.. not in the equation. And the market was absolutely satruated with those bikes. It was the 2000 version of restoring a 70's musclecar.

We got a lot of looks into both WCC and RSD from the discovery docos. Both JJ and Sands have a foot in performance driving so when they aim for performance, they can get there. While they both turned out art peices, they also built functional bikes that could be ridden. Or it was clear why they were making "stupid" design choices.

Slavvy posted:

The thing that really offends me about choppers isn't really their appearance or lack of function.*snip*

Like they're just really, really lovely. Not all of them,

You're also describing every self proclaimed "cafe racer".

Jazzzzz posted:

So, enough time watching monster garage, and him bringing in some of the best talent, and a bunch of motivated nutjobs got me to follow what he does. In the end, he probally lands in the "eeehhhh he's to close to the WP/Nazi fans" than I'd like. Maybe I've gotten older an the Eff you pay me edge, or the idea of pistols being named JJFU is a bit much.

His path has been.. weird. His obsession with quality. Wanting to be able to do it himself. His inability to take outside input. He's... solidly... the classic rear end in a top hat artist type.

Also, like.. his whole life has been on display, so you can watch everything build up and crumble. The three shops for WCC, opening Ciscos, the time in Dallas with his car shop, and he's now outside san antonio? The marriages happening all very publicly..

In the end.. at minimum we're gonna have three or four really good sets of classic metalworking machines on the market that have been really well restored.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

You're also describing every self proclaimed "cafe racer".

You’re both describing things that are built by people who are not fabricators, welders and machinists by trade. Doesn’t matter the type of bike, if the person working on it doesn’t have the skill set to achieve a high standard of accuracy, precision, and ultimately, quality, the end result will be what you’re describing.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I saw someone on Reddit post a Bonneville they were looking at that the seller called a “cafe racer build.”

It was bone stock except for bar end mirrors.

That’s about the level of modification I would trust from most “cafe racers.”

I see constant posts from kids asking if they should buy some lowered cafe hack job as their first bike and I do the Italian Spider-Man door opening gif irl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You’re both describing things that are built by people who are not fabricators, welders and machinists by trade. Doesn’t matter the type of bike, if the person working on it doesn’t have the skill set to achieve a high standard of accuracy, precision, and ultimately, quality, the end result will be what you’re describing.

This is true but they don't need to then start a company selling them for 50k

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This is true but they don't need to then start a company selling them for 50k

lol like that would ever happen they'll be sold for 100K

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely. Amateur's can do some really good work without being one of the aforementioned before they start. Half the homebuilt airplanes out there were built by people who had to learn ~absolutely every skill~ to build the thing. Anyone who gives a crap, can definitely do the job.

I think... it's people who are going for style, rather than function. And don't care about how they get there.

I think this needs more thought so I can have a coherent explanation. I also have a bit of a hatred for "style".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nerobro posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely. Amateur's can do some really good work without being one of the aforementioned before they start. Half the homebuilt airplanes out there were built by people who had to learn ~absolutely every skill~ to build the thing. Anyone who gives a crap, can definitely do the job.

I think... it's people who are going for style, rather than function. And don't care about how they get there.

I think this needs more thought so I can have a coherent explanation. I also have a bit of a hatred for "style".

Style is fine, but it's like any other skill. You can't just pick up a welder and expect to know how to weld. Similarly, making sparks with an angle grinder isn't going to win you a design award. You need to be literate in design, and skilled with the tools needed to translate that to reality. A skilled person can absolutely home build a stylish and functional motorcycle, same as a skilled carpenter can home build a stylish and functional cabinet. Most people are not skilled, not in the way they need to be, despite what they may think of their own abilities.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Maybe my problem is with... wanting the style but not understanding the why.

The entirety of art deco was almost exactly ~that~. And I think that looks good. Even when things lost some functionality. Then again, the best description of architecture I read was "the art of wasting space".

If you know "why" cafe bikes were built, the bike follows logically. All the cafe bikes that you can't steer, can't stop, and can't lean... I'm looking squarely at you.

I think "cafe" bike, and I'm thinking racebike, and they should too. But instead, they're thinking of "getting coffee". Racebike lead to my dead end project of trying to build a middlweight superbike....I'm still proud of the aluminum tail structure and seat pan I built for that. Learned a lot on that....

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I think there is plenty of room for morons modifying their bikes poorly to achieve something that their moron brains tell them needs to be done to achieve communion with a beautiful two-wheeled goddess that has seized them by the heart, and godspeed to those.

It's the people who use money to put this weird hobby on themselves like apparel, and the market exploiting that, which is gross and distinguishable by the sale of heavily modified objets d'art with a mileage which does not lie.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
there is a diy punk charm to poorly built choppers and cafe racers assembled in a driveway. it's spiritually different from the custom shops charging lambo money for fine art pieces.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yeah. But when they take a cherry 1980 GS550 complete with side covers and cut it up I get mad.

"But it wasn't running" Sure.. it needed 45 minutes and some carb cleaner.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Why is this a thing. That bike is loud enough as it is with the stock exhaust system.
Why would you make it louder and slower

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It says in the caption, it looks bada.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Badadadada

You shoulda bought a fuckin D R Z

:snoop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Merry Christmas moto goons.

Post up your bike haul from Santa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I got heated pants. They'll be nice for longer weekend rides but sadly a pain for actually commuting during the week.

I want to farkle up my new (to me) SV650 but haven't decided on the best way to dadbike it up yet.