Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah they were obsessed with a completely different peninsula at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

zoux posted:

When, if ever, has the French navy been preeminent?

Franco-Thai war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ko_Chang

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BalloonFish posted:

That's how good a skilled carpenter could be - working alone, with basic tools on pack ice at the bottom of the world, McNish was confident he could build a seaworthy ship to carry 30 men out of the wreckage of another ship.

I'm begging you for some reading recommendations, I love the Aubrey Maturin books and would welcome an overview of Age of Sail life. I have "A Sea of Words".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I am not a boat-person, but I recently read The Wager and it's pretty readable at least.

Also, because it's this thread, someone will probably swoop in very soon to tell us how accurate it is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That book was really interesting. Grann's a good writer.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

I am not a boat-person, but I recently read The Wager and it's pretty readable at least.

Also, because it's this thread, someone will probably swoop in very soon to tell us how accurate it is.

what's it about?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HMS Wager which underwent a mutiny in 1741. The big dog actually wrote a fictionalized account of it prior to the A/M books.

Most harrowing accounts of shipwreck/age of sail disaster, in my opinion, are Essex and HMS Terror. Terror is so harrowing that in Simmons' fictional account the giant spectral polar bear takes a back seat to just the reality of being iced in in the Arctic for two consecutive winters, freezing, starving, and dying of lead poisoning

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

zoux posted:

HMS Wager which underwent a mutiny in 1741.

From the Wikipedia article

wikipedia posted:

In the Royal Navy of 1741, officers' commissions were valid only for the ship to which they had been appointed; thus the loss of the ship implied the loss of any official authority. Seamen ceased to be paid on the loss of their ship. After the wreck of Wager, these factors, combined with terrible conditions and murderous in-fighting between officers and men, caused discipline to break down.

:lmao:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

And they were stranded in a sad little clump of islands just off of Patagonia.

It was 100% not a good time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

And they were stranded in a sad little clump of islands just off of Patagonia.

It was 100% not a good time.

Ship disaster stories from the age of sail are the worst thing ever, just endless depredations suffered in a space where men were all but stacked atop one another. While sailing on a tall ship seems like it would be a grand adventure, the reality of it sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yyyuuuuuup.

A common criticism of The Terror is that the setting is scary enough, the demon polar bear is kind of a hat on a hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do highly recommend the AMC miniseries, which brings back MY Caesar and Brutus by casting Ciaran Hinds as Frazier and Tobias Menzies as Fitzjames, and the GOAT Jared Harris is astonishing as Crozier. Great cast from top to bottom, absolutely gorgeously shot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

zoux posted:

Ship disaster stories from the age of sail are the worst thing ever, just endless depredations suffered in a space where men were all but stacked atop one another. While sailing on a tall ship seems like it would be a grand adventure, the reality of it sounds like an absolute nightmare.

And then there's the cannibalism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the custom anyway

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zoux posted:

That's the custom anyway
As a naval officer I abhor the implication that the Royal Navy is a haven for cannibalism. It is well known that we now have the problem relatively under control, and that it is the R.A.F. who now suffer the largest casualties in this area. And what do you think the Argylls ate in Aden? Arabs? Yours etc. Captain B. J. Smethwick in a white wine sauce with shallots, mushrooms and garlic

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Wreck of the Batavia was a pretty gripping book as well, although most of the bad stuff happened after the shipwreck as well.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

in hindsight naming the boat Terror was kind of tempting fate

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of the few things you can give the English is their ability to name ships and operations. Can't see the USN naming a ship the Erebus or the Terror

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

One of the few things you can give the English is their ability to name ships and operations. Can't see the USN naming a ship the Erebus or the Terror

no kidding. and one of their ships gave rise to a nomenclature of a whole class of fighting ships. can you think of a much cooler ship class name than "dreadnought"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

No we get the USS Representative Who Sponsored the Funding

French ship names are insanely threatening. One of their boomers is named Reckless

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

French ship names are insanely threatening. One of their boomers is named Reckless

The british navy captured a French ship called Brave and renamed it the HMS Arrogant.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

no kidding. and one of their ships gave rise to a nomenclature of a whole class of fighting ships. can you think of a much cooler ship class name than "dreadnought"?

yes

quote:

In Greek mythology, Erebus (/ˈɛrəbəs/;[1] Ancient Greek: Ἔρεβος, romanized: Érebos, lit. '"darkness, gloom"'),[2] or Erebos, is the personification of darkness. In Hesiod's Theogony, he is the offspring of Chaos, and the father of Aether and Hemera (Day) by Nyx (Night); in other Greek cosmogonies, he is the father of Aether, Eros, and Metis, or the first ruler of the gods. In genealogies given by Roman authors, he begets a large progeny of personifications upon Nox (the Roman equivalent of Nyx), while in an Orphic theogony he is the offspring of Chronos (Time). The name "Erebus" is also used to refer either to the darkness of the Underworld, the Underworld itself, or the region through which souls pass to reach Hades, and can sometimes be used as a synonym for Tartarus or Hades.

:black101:

and let's never pass an opportunity to mention the post-WW2 Gay class fast patrol boats, of which WW2 motor gun boats Gay Viking and Gay Corsair were not part of.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

Or the USS Slaver General once in a while

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Shout out to the HMS Pickle.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

zoux posted:

Ha ha ha I didn't know this and it fuckin' rules.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It always hits me how even on successful voyages how many of the crew just drop dead before getting home

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gaius Marius posted:

Can't see the USN naming a ship the Erebus or the Terror

Counterpoint: The USN had a ship armed with a dynamite gun named USS Vesuvius.

Edit:

Dynamite guns.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 12, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gohuskies posted:

Ha ha ha I didn't know this and it fuckin' rules.

French nuclear doctrine is "We have enough to kill you if you even think about it"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

French nuclear doctrine is "We have enough to kill you if you even think about it"
France is not a prize worth eighty million dead

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

zoux posted:

The ballistic missile sub HMS Vengeance is a bit on the nose, though HMS Dragon is probably the best names ship currently in the Royal Navy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gaius Marius posted:

They did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

Don’t tell that to Edward III!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

British warships may have intimidating names, but on the civilian side, you can’t match their wry wit and penchant for irony

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raffles_v_Wichelhaus

quote:

The contract specified that the cotton would be arriving in Liverpool on the ship Peerless from Bombay ("to arrive ex Peerless from Bombay").

It so happened that there were two British ships named Peerless arriving in Liverpool from Bombay, one departing in October and another departing in December.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

And that's tuning into the story in the middle. Something like 60% of the crew on Anson's entire expedition were dead before Wager even hit the rocks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

HMS YOLO

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Shout out to the HMS Pickle.

Never mind the Pickle. There have been either four or five HMS Cockchafers, depending on whether you count the hired armed lugger (1794-1801) as HMS or not.

Wikipedia posted:

In March 1797 Cockchafer captured Two Friends.[7]

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

sebmojo posted:

HMS YOLO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Yolo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gaius Marius posted:

Can't see the USN naming a ship the Erebus or the Terror

On the other hand, during WW2, Japan named most of their ships after cities, landmarks, and mythical concepts.

Quite a lot of them were sunk by submarines named after random fish.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Nessus posted:

Paris is well worth a massacre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Dopilsya posted:

Paris is well worth a massacre

The Red Army battles its way through Europe at immense cost, only to have a breakdown when they get to Paris and realise it's a dirty shithole