Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Count Roland posted:

Does anyone have experience with small electric chainsaws?

My mom is big into gardening but is not big or strong. In any case its just tough pruning she wants the saw for, not felling trees. She saw some in-store and loves the idea of being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous). In any case, its the tiny ones she wants.

This Milkwake one looks like its exactly what she wants but is pricey
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...tery/1001560523

Amazon features a zillion mini chainsaws of a different design. Cheap, I imagine the quality is all over the place
https://www.amazon.ca/Chainsaw-Cord...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Any suggestions?

I got one of the cheap ones on amazon (this one, although there's probably better ones now) a couple of years ago before the major tool brands had started making them. They were a popular recommendation in the aliexpress thread for losing fingat. It works really well for small branches, and hurts my wrist a lot less than a sawzall with a pruning blade which works but vibrates like hell. The kit I got had two batteries and two bars and chains. The chain tensioner doesn't work too well so the chain gets a little slack but so far it hasn't been too much trouble. The only thing I noticed that seemed a bit sketchy is that the lock is just clicks on or off with no spring or anything to relock it, so it can be on and ready to cut with a trigger pull just sitting there. That's potentially dangerous if you're not careful but I just lock it regularly. It came with a small bottle you can use to add chain oil manually, but I just blast it with some WD40 every now and then for the most part. Still on the first chain.

If I had to buy another one, now that the tool brands all put out their versions, I'd probably get one of those. Probably the ryobi because I have a bunch of their tools and batteries, although it is a bit expensive at $150. I guess I'd weigh the cost of paying 3x as much to have a better one vs. one that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

M12 fuel sawzall, with appropriate blade.

They also make electric pruning shears in red and yellow, and teal.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Try a reciprocating saw with a long wood bit. They're much safer to use one handed. Plus they come cordless.

I actually suggested this at the start but my mom didn't like that idea for some reason. I'll look more into it though.

Motronic posted:

I think some of the others are too based on the last time this came up in the thread. But agreed - I got the 8" ryobi in a package deal with the pole saw. It's so nice to be able to keep them somewhere and not worry about them constantly leaking oil like my gas saws.

Which Ryobi one are you guys talking about?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Count Roland posted:

This is the one I have: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396035783

And lolol at that price ($129). I had to double check but I paid $109 for the pole saw that happened to come with that chainsaw a charger and a battery also. There is no way I would pay $100 for a ryobi baby chain saw.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Motronic posted:

This is the one I have: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396035783

And lolol at that price ($129). I had to double check but I paid $109 for the pole saw that happened to come with that chainsaw a charger and a battery also. There is no way I would pay $100 for a ryobi baby chain saw.

That combo is 400 CAD (300 USD) in my area. Pretty pricey, though my mom would really like it so its still an option. A pole saw is also something she'd get a lot of use out of.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I’m crazy but I think the tiny pruning chainsaws would be better for one hand / not strong person use than a sawzall with pruning blade. The little pole chainsaw I use seems way more gentle than even the hackzall I use for pruning.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

powderific posted:

Maybe I’m crazy but I think the tiny pruning chainsaws would be better for one hand / not strong person use than a sawzall with pruning blade. The little pole chainsaw I use seems way more gentle than even the hackzall I use for pruning.

I don't think you are crazy at all. I've got the Milwaukee Hatchet and it kicks rear end and feels super stable when cutting unlike when I tried using a sawzall. It cuts through branches and small logs with ease. I use it and a pole saw to trim the kiawe tree in our yard that grows like crazy. I bought it before I knew about the oil-less ryobi and I would have bought that instead, but I still love the hatchet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

El Jebus posted:

I don't think you are crazy at all. I've got the Milwaukee Hatchet and it kicks rear end and feels super stable when cutting unlike when I tried using a sawzall. It cuts through branches and small logs with ease. I use it and a pole saw to trim the kiawe tree in our yard that grows like crazy. I bought it before I knew about the oil-less ryobi and I would have bought that instead, but I still love the hatchet.

The Hatchet is the only cordless chainsaw I've come across so far that actually looks solid. But then its also the most expensive, so go figure.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

MRC48B posted:

M12 fuel sawzall, with appropriate blade.

They also make electric pruning shears in red and yellow, and teal.

This Old Tony did a good video about those electric pruners earlier this year. He had some good luck with the no name ones vs the Red/Yellow brands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CeA29bFiY

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'll say that while the M12 version of the hatchet works fairly well one handed there is a safety switch you have to hold down that is little awkward to press with one hand in a way that set off my carpal tunnel really badly

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i picked up an old stanley bailey no 5 plane and am in the process of restoring it. i want to take the paint off while removing minimal metal anf theres a lot of nooks and crannies. will an acetone or isopropyl alcohol bath gently caress up the cast iron or should i be ok?

picture of my crimes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I use a full size Hitachi 18V sawzall for pruning and I can't really recommend it, especially for anyone of small stature.
It's heavy and the reciprocating nature makes it awkward sometimes.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Motronic posted:

I think some of the others are too based on the last time this came up in the thread. But agreed - I got the 8" ryobi in a package deal with the pole saw. It's so nice to be able to keep them somewhere and not worry about them constantly leaking oil like my gas saws.
They linked a makita one, but it was not oil-less as stated; It was only "oill-less" they were talking about was not requiring engine oil. It still required lube, which the Ryobi doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some rando chinese brand that made something like that though.

Count Roland posted:

Hi,
I'm the guy who's the super fan of this one ryobi saw design because it's oilless. Lemme dig up the post I made before...
blurb:

quote:

Two goons asked me to ping them on this. Yes, it is Oil-free. A chainsaw you don't have to oil! What foul magic is this? According to the sales rep in this video, Ryobi did some testing on solving the oil leaking problem, and they found if a chainsaw is running a chain slower than 5 meters/sec, then it doesn't need oil. That's why they don't have any big oil-free chainsaws, but these little guys. Anyhow, I yoinked one around Black Friday and used it on a tree and it worked fine. I think the chain came loose at a certain point, but otherwise it had no issues, cut just fine. Then I got hella sick and haven't used it since. Comes with battery and charger; the 1.5Ah is plenty of battery to deal with a few trees. So if you want a pole saw that's not going to leak oil and you can just toss it in your garage/tool closet when you're done, then get this. It doesn't come with a bag and the blade scabbard on it is poo poo. I turned to Amazon:
Greenworks Pole Saw Bag: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID8838Q
It fits perfectly so that it doesn't have a bunch of extra room to jostle around. You can probably also find a tripod bag with similar dimensions.
Rando Chinese 8" - 12" Chainsaw Bar Cover
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GMCRMC7
Works fine. I used this exact one but there's a bunch of these since it isn't anything special.

As for getting it, yeah, the kit is the way to go.
This has the Pole Saw + the Baby saw (both require no oil whatsoever) + charger + battery for $138 + $15 shipping on the current DTO sale of 40% off which ends at.... 11:59PM EST today... in almost 3 hours from posting?
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P20310

Kit has been cheaper, but for the whole shebang like that $138 + $15 shipping is good. Price history:
https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=P20310

If you miss this sale, which again, short notice... it's fine... it'll probably go on sale again, either 30% or 40% off.

Edit: Oh crap you're in Canada. Welp. They really need DTO up there.

As far as "tiny" hand chainsaws, Ryobi makes one too, and this one, like the other Ryobi set linked above, is also completely oil-free:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-6-in-Battery-Compact-Pruning-Mini-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P25013BTL/323563730

I picked it up on the Ryobi Days deal recently of "Buy 2 4AH batteries + Charger for $99, get free tool" thing. I've used it a little bit and it seems to be fine. This is a Brushless HP tool, so in theory it works best with HP batteries. That said, it seems to work fine on regular batteries too. I haven't done enough comparison with it since I only got this recently. Might be worth checking in Canada if they have a similar Ryobi Days deal at home depot or equivalent like that.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 11, 2023

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I feel that a recip saw is inherently safer than the chain saws, but i have not used the latter so i have no direct experience.

Also the recip saw is multi use

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

MRC48B posted:

I feel that a recip saw is inherently safer than the chain saws, but i have not used the latter so i have no direct experience.

I haven't used the little recip saws but pruning with the full size ones kind of sucks rear end. The saw likes to jump around sometimes, the vibrations are awful and I feel like I need a third hand to hold the branch plus 2 on the tool depending on angle and what I'm cutting. I don't know how much of that is solved by the little chain saws, but I've been using the DeWalt pruner and it's quite nice for anything under about 1.5" in diameter.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Also have done the reciprocating saw for pruning. It's... fine. I used it on a cheap beater budget ryobi recipro saw. Get a nice Diablo pruning blade with good length; it'll cut plenty fine.

You feel the vibrations in your bones though... in your teeth. You might feel them less if you get one of better models with more rubber molding on the outside that helps absorb vibrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Looking at getting a set of 20v Dewalt tools for my dad, gonna try to capitalize on the Home Despot/Lowe’s holiday sales

How does the 2AH hammer drill do vs the bigger 4AH one?

Is the XR (hammer drill + three speed impact driver) worth the price and size premium in the drill over the base Atomic set (regular drill + one speed on the impact)?

I don’t know that my dad’s ever going to drill concrete or anything like that, and he’s got an old corded drill that can do high power/high torque.

The XR impact seems a lot nicer than the Atomic, and I’m trying to get him to switch over to using an impact for driving screws rather than the aforementioned corded drill.

Ultimately you can get the Atomic drill+driver for $150 or in a $300 4 tool set with two small batteries and a mini hatchet/hackzawll/1-handed recip and an oscillating saw

The XR driver + 4AH hammer drill (much bigger, bigger than the 2AH hammer drill which is already bigger than the Atomic drill, which I was hoping to keep small) is also $300 and you get one of ten free tools with it (full-size sawzall, router, jigsaw, 6.5” circ, angle grinder, blower, Flexvolt 20/60v Max 6Ah battery, Atomic Max impact, Impact Wrench, SDS 5/8 hammer drill)

The XR + single tool offer seems like better value for money (probably get the jig or the router or the sawzall, or the grinder, or the big battery, but I honestly have no strong idea), but the Atomic 4 piece would probably cover most of his bases and be more comfortable in use than the bigger tools (the smaller recip seems paradoxically more useful than the bigger one, tho that jigsaw seems like a good bet. 6.5” is too small for a circ saw IMO. The bigger drill seems like a pain over the smaller Atomic one but maybe I’m making too much of a big deal, esp comparing either to the current ancient plug-in deal he’s got. The XR driver is smaller than the atomic and probably more useful to him than the drill, tbh)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BeAuMaN posted:

Also have done the reciprocating saw for pruning. It's... fine. I used it on a cheap beater budget ryobi recipro saw. Get a nice Diablo pruning blade with good length; it'll cut plenty fine.

You feel the vibrations in your bones though... in your teeth. You might feel them less if you get one of better models with more rubber molding on the outside that helps absorb vibrations.

Yeah that's why I've moved to using the little chainsaw more, after a lot of branch cutting with the recip. saw and pruning blade my wrists were beat up. There's no vibration with an electric chainsaw unless you're doing something wrong. They are a bit more dangerous but being pretty easy to use and cutting fast also helps make them a bit safer since you don't have to fight with the branch if it grabs your blade as much like with the reciprocating saws.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hey, appropriately* enough this came out earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lp7WpBsFws

* do not buy these attachments.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Trabant posted:

Hey, appropriately* enough this came out earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lp7WpBsFws

* do not buy these attachments.

where's the little dick guillotine attachment

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

where's the little dick guillotine attachment

Any of those would do it just fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

You and everyone else who's said a saw/hackzall is safer should use one of these things before saying that.

The most dangerous characteristics of proper chainsaws simply don't exist on these slow speed 8" baby battery saws.

Squibbles posted:

I haven't used the little recip saws but pruning with the full size ones kind of sucks rear end. The saw likes to jump around sometimes, the vibrations are awful and I feel like I need a third hand to hold the branch plus 2 on the tool depending on angle and what I'm cutting. I don't know how much of that is solved by the little chain saws,

All of it. That's why those of us who have these things are saying what we're saying.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm looking to replace the Milwaukee drill that I hosed up last week.

If cost isn't really an issue is there any reason to not bother with the "hammer" drill version of a drill?

Milwaukee 3601is a compact brushless etc drill/driver
Milawukee 3602 is a compact brushless HAMMER drill/driver.

Both appear to have the same torque rating and max RPM etc, so I'd have to guess the only difference is the hammer function on one?

Is there any reason to get one VS the other?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When I smoked my ancient M18 brushed drill, I decided I'd never need the hammer functionality and saved a whopping $15 or so buying one without it.

I was wrong and now I have two drills that are identical other than one lacks the hammer function.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

El Jebus posted:

Milwaukee Hatchet
drat i got so excited milwaukee was making chainaxes now and was so disappointed when i looked it up and saw how goofy it looked.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

drat i got so excited milwaukee was making chainaxes now and was so disappointed when i looked it up and saw how goofy it looked.

It looks goofy as hell, but it feels great in the hand and cuts really well, even one handed, and I have the m18 version which is even bigger. (obviously wear personal safety gear!)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Good lord the toppest of the line sawzall now has an app. Neat that you can control various settings on it, but why not just... buttons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Good lord the toppest of the line sawzall now has an app. Neat that you can control various settings on it, but why not just... buttons.

Same reason cars have touch displays: good switchgear is expensive. Screens and wireless chipsets are cheap.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Same reason cars have touch displays: good switchgear is expensive. Screens and wireless chipsets are cheap.

And metrics! Don't forget metrics! If you install an app they can learn who you are and what you do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

And metrics! Don't forget metrics! If you install an app they can learn who you are and what you do.

Ahh, right. You might even give it permission to access your contacts for their share feature.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any suggestions for a compact ladder or step-ladder for working in a cramped bathroom's bath tub? I need to work on the higher tiling and caulking in the bath tub. Not enough room to open and deploy my usual 6-foot ladder. And the step ladders I have are too wide and their plastic, non-grippy feet rest on the tub's inner-curves and I don't feel like falling off and dying for a job like this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

put a regular ladder / step ladder with 1 side in the tub and 1 out, and or put down a towel / bath matt.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

When I smoked my ancient M18 brushed drill, I decided I'd never need the hammer functionality and saved a whopping $15 or so buying one without it.

I was wrong and now I have two drills that are identical other than one lacks the hammer function.

Makes sense. I do have access to SDS rotary hammers at work but gently caress it.
I didn't look before I posted, but it seems like theres only a 10 dollar price difference between the two.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions for a compact ladder or step-ladder for working in a cramped bathroom's bath tub? I need to work on the higher tiling and caulking in the bath tub. Not enough room to open and deploy my usual 6-foot ladder. And the step ladders I have are too wide and their plastic, non-grippy feet rest on the tub's inner-curves and I don't feel like falling off and dying for a job like this.

if you have the scrap laying around take a 60”x30” piece of plywood and fasten a few 2x4s to run longways and lay that on top of the tub (with a towel underneath). Makes a nice platform from which you can work and also protects the tub underneath

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Does anyone have experience with small electric chainsaws?

My mom is big into gardening but is not big or strong. In any case its just tough pruning she wants the saw for, not felling trees. She saw some in-store and loves the idea of being able to use a chainsaw one-handed (which to me seems optimistic and/or dangerous). In any case, its the tiny ones she wants.

This Milkwake one looks like its exactly what she wants but is pricey
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mi...tery/1001560523

Amazon features a zillion mini chainsaws of a different design. Cheap, I imagine the quality is all over the place
https://www.amazon.ca/Chainsaw-Cord...1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Any suggestions?

How big of branches? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1PHVXG these will go through anything you can get their jaws around.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

devicenull posted:

How big of branches? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1PHVXG these will go through anything you can get their jaws around.

Is that the one TOT praised?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Are battery nail guns any good? I'm bought into Makita so I'd be looking at: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XNB02Z

Use case is all the wood trim in the house that intermittently comes off to facilitate their being refinished or other projects.

If the answer is "no, get a compressor and a pneumatic" I'd be interested in those recs too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the yeti posted:

Are battery nail guns any good? I'm bought into Makita so I'd be looking at: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XNB02Z

Use case is all the wood trim in the house that intermittently comes off to facilitate their being refinished or other projects.

If the answer is "no, get a compressor and a pneumatic" I'd be interested in those recs too.

I think they are basically fine but pneumatic ones are a quarter the price and dead simple to maintain. A harbor freight pancake compressor is pretty cheap as well and good for other stuff too.

e: you can literally get a rigid 18ga brad nailer, framing nailer, and 16ga finish nailer for the price of that one battery nailer.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 13, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think they are basically fine but pneumatic ones are a quarter the price and dead simple to maintain. A harbor freight pancake compressor is pretty cheap as well and good for other stuff too.

e: you can literally get a rigid 18ga brad nailer, framing nailer, and 16ga finish nailer for the price of that one battery nailer.

I thought those pancake jobbies weren't any good? or is it just that they're hearing damage: tool edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
They can run a nail gun and fill tires, don't expect it to run a blast cabinet or die grinder. There are also quiet versions of them but you should be using ear plugs with the nail gun anyway.