Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t remember unchaste at all. Was that the girl that they used to guard Fuuko when Under had her?

i feel like most of the under gang was entirely unknowns (not that one) so this reboot is the chance to actually flesh them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Darth TNT posted:

I don’t remember unchaste at all. Was that the girl that they used to guard Fuuko when Under had her?

Yeah, the girl who was an idol until Unchaste manifested. They hinted that Untell had a crush on her, so that might come up.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

A Sometimes Food posted:

MMA: Still losing it at the loving ripped mma ojou.

It's great. Also loving Nao in this chapter. Huge "gently caress you" energy that I very much appreciate

quote:

Mamayuyu: enjoying this but looking like it might have gotten the "wrap it up" signal.

Yeah :smith:

Glazius posted:

Akane-banashi: It's neat to see how they're still treating the protagonist as a small fish where a couple dozen people is a pretty successful live.

Yeah, it's great that it's treating everything as work and a grind. She's talented af, but she still has to put the work in.

Two On Ice: the couple at the end is way more interesting than anything the series has done so far

Elusive Samurai: Tokiyuki is a creeper, confirmed

Kill Blue: I still appreciate that the manga continues to go "listen, this relationship is NOT happening" while allowing situations to occur. I think it's fine for Noren to have feelings for Ogami. It makes perfect sense for her to! But I like that Ogami has to try to figure a way out of it without alienating Noren in the process. That makes for an interesting dilemma

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps: poor Rinko

Witch Enforcer: I really do like the world building in this series. The moon and Witch society sounds like a terrible place to live in

Demon Lord Exchange: okay, this is an interesting wrinkle

Hope You're Happy, Lemon: y'know, if the mangaka hadn't gone out of their way to clear things up with the previous situation, I wouldn't be prepared for this one to end next chapter. And heck, maybe if both situations were happening at once, we might have a fun romcom right now

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: Lmao that Unburn just has a power to turn off the sun. And now we have the next five Negators to convert/save. Noticeably, UnRuin is not among them, so I am really curious how they'll handle eventually him. But first we gotta save the girl that will get stuck in a giant bunny outfit!

MamaYuyu: Honestly this could be just a beginning of the new arc, but with the Shonen Jump Reality and it's low ranking, it's probably accelerating towards the end. A pity, I'll miss Minerva. :smith:

Kagurabachi: Kinda rough fighting scene, but I like how the fight was juxtaposed with scenes of Chichiro providing intel. Although this is an obvious set up for both Chichiro and Sojo to be pushed beyond their limits and achieving Bankai, whatever the true realm of enchanted blades will be called. And Kamunabi will probably job.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Rinko.... :allears:

Shadow Eliminators: Yep, this is still not doing anything special.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The new Elusive Samurai chapter with the giant warrior dude just casually mauling his own retainers who don't even react to the pain out of fear and the other Daimyo just looking horrified was pretty funny

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shinji2015 posted:

I Hope You're Happy, Lemon: y'know, if the mangaka hadn't gone out of their way to clear things up with the previous situation, I wouldn't be prepared for this one to end next chapter. And heck, maybe if both situations were happening at once, we might have a fun romcom right now

Eh, I doubt they'll clear it up since it doesn't really change how the main characters interact. So they'll just ignore it. That said, it's extremely similar to the previous thing where Kogahara fell in love with Lemon in Sunao's body, so I guess the message here is that everyone would be in love with their best friend?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shinji2015 posted:

It's great. Also loving Nao in this chapter. Huge "gently caress you" energy that I very much appreciate

Nao's turning into a nice co-protagonist and I hope it keeps up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Undead Unluck: Lmao that Unburn just has a power to turn off the sun. And now we have the next five Negators to convert/save. Noticeably, UnRuin is not among them, so I am really curious how they'll handle eventually him. But first we gotta save the girl that will get stuck in a giant bunny outfit!

Fuuko doesn't know about all Negators just the ones she met.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fuuko doesn't know about all Negators just the ones she met.

She knows about Unruin, she mentioned him near the start as one of the Negators she wanted to try to save.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

The new Elusive Samurai chapter with the giant warrior dude just casually mauling his own retainers who don't even react to the pain out of fear and the other Daimyo just looking horrified was pretty funny

The joke with Toki and his retainers was really good a few chapters ago.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

She knows about Unruin, she mentioned him near the start as one of the Negators she wanted to try to save.

Yes, but she does not know Ruin personally or who he is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it just me or does Toki's mask look like it is a 3d render?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Clarste posted:

Eh, I doubt they'll clear it up since it doesn't really change how the main characters interact. So they'll just ignore it. That said, it's extremely similar to the previous thing where Kogahara fell in love with Lemon in Sunao's body, so I guess the message here is that everyone would be in love with their best friend?

That's a good point. And yeah, now that you point it out, that kind of is what the manga's saying, especially once you remember that Lemon and Sunao used to be best friends before they started dating.

Dawgstar posted:

Same. It looks like she's going to be the more gutsy of the two, which is a nice change of pace.

Daddy and Buddy: okay, I like this new character. She feels desperately needed in this series

At Summer's End: I didn't like the art style of this manga at first, but I think it's starting to grow on me. The roughness of it definitely adds to the vibe that I think the series is going for

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: That scene at the end ranks pretty high on "depiction of peaceful routine while audience/reader goes fuckfuckfuckfuckFUCKFUCK". I am not looking forward to what happens next. :ohdear:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looks like Ruridragon might be back in 2024!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Is it weird that I'm legitimately looking forward to it resuming? (if it does resume in 2024, that is)

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 13, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
It was very promising, so no. That's good news for me as well.

Hopefully they'll have a nice buffer built up so that they won't have to overdo things

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: That scene at the end ranks pretty high on "depiction of peaceful routine while audience/reader goes fuckfuckfuckfuckFUCKFUCK". I am not looking forward to what happens next. :ohdear:

The art of the series has consistently been good and yeah, those past pages show how Asmodeus gets a partial victory in the end. She's unleashed another repressed side of the Priest and it didn't escape me that the story is more obviously signalling Belphagor as a factor here with the giant sloth in the Priest's bed right next to the snail. But also we have a snake very prominently because even Satan has gained a foothold.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Looks like Ruridragon might be back in 2024!

That is good to hear. Ruri dragon was pretty fun and had some promise.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I thought it was cute but above average at best. Like it wouldn't have surprised me if it got canned after around 20 or so chapters. I've been continually surprised how it's attained almost mythical status.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I liked the way characters in Ruri Dragon tended to react to things in an understated way rather than an overstated way.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

I thought it was cute but above average at best. Like it wouldn't have surprised me if it got canned after around 20 or so chapters. I've been continually surprised how it's attained almost mythical status.

I'm pretty sure, given the lynching it would invoke for doing it, that it would have to be legendarily dog poo poo for it to be canceled now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The original one-shot did a lot of heavy lifting there, the pacing was much better and the concept does have potential. I felt like the six chapters we got in the series were already dragging their heels, there's a ton of padding in the dialogue. I'd read it if it came back, but it wouldn't be the reason I opened the Jump app.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I am surprised but it’s mythical status as well. It was fun in how understated it was. But currently that was the only hook it had going. It was cute, but not amazing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was also ongoing during Earthchild’s terrible reign, we took what we could get

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

That was my feel as well. The premise was good, but didn't quite grab me either. It WAS really cute for real though, but I agree about the weird borderline biblical hype it got like it was the second coming or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It was extremely popular in Japan.

Like Turbo popular for a one-shot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's mostly the situation around it, didn't get canned, but put on hold due to some very unfortunate circumstances.

Didn't know it was getting mythical level hype, but I'm sure people will show the same for when Black Clover comes back.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I found it enjoyable but unremarkable, but sometimes that kind of thing just ends up landing extremely well with an audience. Happy that the author is doing better.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's mostly the situation around it, didn't get canned, but put on hold due to some very unfortunate circumstances.

Didn't know it was getting mythical level hype, but I'm sure people will show the same for when Black Clover comes back.

200k plus sales for volume 1. It was absurdly successful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If black clover never came back would anyone notice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

It seems to have a really devoted fanbase.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Darth TNT posted:

I am surprised but it’s mythical status as well. It was fun in how understated it was. But currently that was the only hook it had going. It was cute, but not amazing.

If K-On can succeed, so can RuriDragon

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

No Wave posted:

If anything it going to that schedule made people want to see it more.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

sometimes a cute, chill, just-above-average series is exactly what people (me) need

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dexo posted:

It was extremely popular in Japan.

Like Turbo popular for a one-shot.

chiasaur11 posted:

200k plus sales for volume 1. It was absurdly successful.

I remember that yeah. It sold INSANELY well which made it all the more a bummer that it went on hiatus as it was picking up steam.

kidcoelacanth posted:

sometimes a cute, chill, just-above-average series is exactly what people (me) need

I usually recommend the Shikimori manga for that since it's a very comfy and wholesome manga. Huge disparity in popularity between the home country and the west.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ruri Dragon was a simple concept and had a pretty good execution to it. It was charming and fun, and it was easy to like. I think people are also judging it for its potential. There was room to grow.

I mean, compare it to something like Shadow Eliminators or Two on Ice and I’d bounce either one in a heartbeat to have Ruridragon back.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Black Stones posted:

Ruri Dragon was a simple concept and had a pretty good execution to it. It was charming and fun, and it was easy to like. I think people are also judging it for its potential. There was room to grow.

I mean, compare it to something like Shadow Eliminators or Two on Ice and I’d bounce either one in a heartbeat to have Ruridragon back.

Obligatory Medalist post.

Also, I don't disagree that it was charming and fun.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double: :stare: I liked the story when it was just invisible immortals fighting each other. Getting flashbacks to Kamen Rider Kuuga now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shinji2015 posted:

Kill Blue: I still appreciate that the manga continues to go "listen, this relationship is NOT happening" while allowing situations to occur. I think it's fine for Noren to have feelings for Ogami. It makes perfect sense for her to! But I like that Ogami has to try to figure a way out of it without alienating Noren in the process. That makes for an interesting dilemma

She's not developing feelings for Ogami is the thing. The point of the chapter where the Home Ec group talked about their crushes during the night was that they're still a bunch of dumb kids who think relationships are binary. From their perspective, Noren can only either see Ogami as a fake boyfriend or someone she loves. This contest has made Noren actually consider how much Ogami means to her, but the others' suggestion and Noren having no life experience with this sort of thing has her confusing friendship with love.

The whole thing fits with the story's theme about how middle schoolers are still figuring things out about themselves and what they want in the future.

Dawgstar posted:

Surprisingly, it's the best friend character who doesn't really add anything to the story. Not that I'm complaining since Nao's awesome.