Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rinkles posted:

it's not just Tamaki.

Oh, they tled it the same across the board lol. Enough nuance in the JP term they could've at least done something with that but I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I suppose it's more just, yeah you could tl this in a less loaded way but I feel like the misstep of it especially in a context like Ouran has some value. I got a bit lost in the weeds proposing basically a tl-only construct that doesn't even align with the level the series cares about its usage, like Colonel was saying.

Personally I would recommend watching the show 15 years ago with Lunar subs, which just left okama untranslated with a note at the top of the screen. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the real cancellable thing about ouran is that it was one of vic mignogna's most famous and popular dubs

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Rubbing my hands on ancient Mayan inscriptions to fill my language xp bar just like real life

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
using my Raider Vision™  in walmart so I know what to buy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
2006 was definitely waist deep still in the "hahaha our society is unapologetically awful by being as edgy as possible."

I dont think that translation was like...trying to be disrespectful, but it's definitely a product of the time. One of those moments where you have to focus more on how the stuff is actually handled than the words it uses.

Every year we move further away from the 00s and I've become increasingly thankful about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the real cancellable thing about ouran is that it was one of vic mignogna's most famous and popular dubs
gotta hand it to the guy he really brought the role of uh, good looking guy in episode 18 of the english dub of super gals, to life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

it's not just Tamaki.

the dub was made in 2006 and 'okama' has to be translated into something. they chose, poorly, but it was 2006.

do you want a medal here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yea i like ouran but it isnt exactly a queer text. the ep where the evil lesbians kidnap haruhi and haruhi goes 'dont worry. im not like them' ftw?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i always feel like i gently caress up on the forums when talking about stuff and struggle to add anything, and i'm not funny. anyone got some advice?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 15, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endorph posted:

:rolleyes:

This started as an offhand, not overly critical i think, comment about what I was watching.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
these forums are from the dawn of the internet and have been dying since 20XX just chill out and don't be self conscious about how good your posting here is

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you didnt pay 10 bucks to give yourself social anxiety about how your words come off on a place scattered into like eight different subcommunities with differing arbitrary social standards

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
starting an apocalypse becuz i took a gods butterknife and not the silverware box too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

symbolic posted:

it was illegal to be a nerd in public until around 2013. namaste

It should still be illegal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Willo567 posted:

i always feel like i gently caress up on the forums when talking about stuff and struggle to add anything, and i'm not funny. anyone got some advice?

hone your posting skills in FYAD

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It should still be illegal

consider: anime conventions ftw

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Willo567 posted:

post a picture or video of something you think is cool, then say: (this cool thing) is epic ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cardcaptor Sakura is epic ftw. Not gonna post a video or pic.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Feels Villeneuve posted:

close enough. nice post

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

corrector yui is better. leans back in my troll chair

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I will. The OPs are really good, especailly the first one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDezQD57h-g

A very memorable and whimsical song, it also invokes a very 90s nostalgia for me despite never having seen it as a child.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endorph posted:

the dub was made in 2006 and 'okama' has to be translated into something. they chose, poorly, but it was 2006.

City Hunter simply kept the word untranslated, leaving the audience to get the gist.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Saagonsa posted:

Well you have to post what the word is.

Bird.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Julias posted:

I will. The OPs are really good, especailly the first one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDezQD57h-g

A very memorable and whimsical song, it also invokes a very 90s nostalgia for me despite never having seen it as a child.

(this cool thing) is epic ftw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7hj1ttSu4

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

similarly from the same channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvvoQBteRJw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

holy win, batman

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
how would you, a woke anime enjoyer, translate okama used derogatively in 2023. i think tranny is pretty close? crossdresser with good vocal direction to make the derogation clear could work too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

okama kama kama kama kama chameleon

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://twitter.com/zoids_official/status/1735494895706706286

I don't know what this is gonna be but either way (Mechanized version of MonHun guys or MonHun'd up Zoids) it's gonna rule.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
your 100 girlfriends who tran tran tran tran tran transitioned

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MH Wilds is in 2025 because MH Zoids is coming out next year baby!!!!!!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

need a Dynasty Warriors spinoff of Monster Hunter

where you play the monster and you get revenge by clearing swarms of monster hunters

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

https://twitter.com/zoids_official/status/1735494895706706286

I don't know what this is gonna be but either way (Mechanized version of MonHun guys or MonHun'd up Zoids) it's gonna rule.

it's a shame that zoid representation in srw has been utter poo poo for the most part

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i hope the next monhun keeps blast dash on gunlance because that's the most fun thing in a monhun game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Willo567 posted:

why do a ton of people in the west seem to cringe at the mere thought of fanfiction compared to japan (doujins) whether it be anime, video games or any other medium? i know the history of doujin and how it's become popular, so why does the west have such a negative attitude with something similar like fanfiction?

I think it's a mixture of things, not the least of which being the real lack of an established market compared to Japan. It doesn't mean that the marketable scene doesn't exist internationally, there have been popular book series that started off as fanfiction before the serial numbers were filed off. But as a culture it doesn't have as much of a foothold in physical media compared to something like zines.

Ive written fanfiction in the past. Hell, I'm writing some now for the first time in like ten years. It can be a good creative outlet, kinda like buying a Lego kit and then modding it with other pieces to make something with your own flair.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gaogaigar being just constant escalation after episode 30 is so different from any other long running kids show. Usually even after the mid season arc you still get quiet or filler episodes but Gaogaigar just keeps raising the stakes. It's great but fascinating

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

i hope the next monhun keeps blast dash on gunlance because that's the most fun thing in a monhun game
bad news its an A team game, they hate fun

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

homeless snail posted:

bad news its an A team game, they hate fun

if the worst comes to pass i will go back to my previous love swaxe and be slightly sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Big Leg posted:

post a picture or video of something you think is cool, then say: (this cool thing) is epic ftw

No picture because I'm at work but my hand is still cramping from playing a bunch of the new Granblue fighting game last night but it was worth it.