Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
No Country for Old Shounen, basically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Tosk posted:

I'm waiting to see if jjk is an experiment where Gege is going to leave us all breathlessly waiting for Sukuna's final comeuppance but the bad guys win and we never get the satisfaction, or something brutal happens to Sukuna. Something like what another poster mentioned about Miwa coming into play or even the legendary Nobara cope paying off would be suitable. I'm just wondering if Gege can even think of a good way to execute on whatever he has planned for this ending because I want to think it'll be more entertaining than the takes we got on endgame shonen antagonist from Naruto, MHA, etc...

it would have been a lot easier to sell the new folks as possible re-entry points for chars like todo, nobara earlier in the culling games

it could still happen but it's gonna seem much more like a balancing asspull to sukuna's latest thing

e: i do like the idea of todo/yuta hitting kenjaku earlier, but i don't see the clap thing that OP mentioned in the chapter

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 14, 2023

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just don’t get how he’s able to bring a weapon into the courtroom in the first place. That itself is a crime!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Has there been a good case of the villain going "nuh-uh" and the protag going "yeah-huh"?

Thinking about recent examples more, Chainsaw Man had a really good one at the end of Part 1.

Makima was functionally immune to every attack... but Denji's hosed up brain could see eating her as a romantic gesture, not an attack, so her contract didn't kick in.

It was Makima being destroyed by the very thing she most wanted, because she refused to recognize it. Good irony, and because the "Nuh-uhs" were spread through the series, we got to have the punchline come quickly, rather than after a ton of pointless fights just to show how much nuh-uh there was.

Also, most of the points she nuh-uh'd had her getting tossed around for at least a while, so it felt more like she had a single hole card that the heroes had to beat, not like she'd just invent new abilities whenever.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I wanted Shrine to be confiscated because I want to see more 10 Shadows/whether Sukuna can still use 10 Shadows. I feel there’s a lot of unanswered questions and things to explore with that technique. Shrine just seems like an instant win vs people who aren’t Gojo.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'd be fine with sukuna escaping on a technicality but like at least make it an interesting one lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Scallop Eyes posted:

Not very cool to see we're going for a the final villain just "nuh-uh" everything the heroes do battle. It already was bad when Madara, Aizen and All-for-One did it.

The actual protagonist and strongest sorcerers (Maki, Yuta) haven't even started fighting him yet. He's no selling the random sidecharacters right now. He did not no-sell Gojo for example, that was a hardfought fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

The actual protagonist and strongest sorcerers (Maki, Yuta) haven't even started fighting him yet. He's no selling the random sidecharacters right now. He did not no-sell Gojo for example, that was a hardfought fight.

Goji never stood a chance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We also don't know what the hell is up with Yuji either. He has a bunch of stuff in his back pocket.

-That diary/document on souls he got from Yuki
-Presumably uh, ate the rest of the death painting wombs
-Gojo's very old mention that Yuji's body would be "engraved with Sukuna's technique"
-Whatever those gauntlets are
-His already explained ability to strike the soul of his target

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sukuna is the main character and this is a rom com

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

We also don't know what the hell is up with Yuji either. He has a bunch of stuff in his back pocket.

-That diary/document on souls he got from Yuki
-Presumably uh, ate the rest of the death painting wombs
-Gojo's very old mention that Yuji's body would be "engraved with Sukuna's technique"
-Whatever those gauntlets are
-His already explained ability to strike the soul of his target

He got training from Kamo so it's implied he can use blood cursed techniques too now

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm sure the inclusion of a timeskip between Gojo's unsealing and this fight was specifically so Yuji would get time to train up his new tricks.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I finally caught up to the manga because in the sea of untagged spoilers im bombarded with online i saw that the judgeman lawyer guy was fighting sukuna and I just Had to see it lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'll say this though: it's very fitting that the jujutsu legal system hosed Hiruguma over just as much as the real one did

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
TCB Scans
Can we just stick with Hakari's fight. He's actually having a good time and I like that he's so unhinged along with the ability to tank all these hits and keep on coming.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
yes, waiter, more Hakari, please.

I know it's most likely that he hit jackpot since they just left his domain, but did Gege forget to draw his super Saiyan jackpot aura? And is the katakana his anime music?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
One of my favorite things about JJK is the near-constant reinforcement that while only some sorcerers can be truly strong, after a certain point it's nothing more or less than the complete abandonment of rationality that separates those at the top.

That being said I am mixed on Uraume as a character. I like that they're gender-ambiguous (I just think it's a fun differentiation) and that they appeared early in the series in the shadow of the disaster curses along with Kenjaku, so your curiosity is piqued early about who she is and what her deal is.

My main issue is how her ice powers work; JJK prides itself on maintaining a kind of internal logic (usually~) and ice is just so thoroughly damaging. There isn't a great way to make it suit conventional fighting, and the bar that Gege set re: her abilities are off the charts considering she basically froze everyone solid when she intro'ed in Shibuya, which incidentally is the only real way to make ice magic non-lethal (have it be a temporary disable) but that doesn't lend itself that well to fighting either.

To counter that, Gege has Uraume fight Hikari, probably the other person with the most broken/borderline unwritable power who isn't Sukuna or Gojo. It's fine. Hikari is fun, and it allows an actual fight to take place since he can just regenerate limbs and poo poo. But you still can't really have a good fight, and Uraume's character motivations are as shallow as it gets which doesn't even allow that much banter besides "oh u strong, wow, I also do strong then"

In conclusion ice powers suck and are hard to write around, and Uraume while being a fun character- an ice butcher/cook? Is amazing but having her actually interact with the world and fight people just isn't that cool.

I still like this fight but only if it's kept short and she fucks off

e: oh and definite +1 for the "justice is blind" shikigami opening one of its eyes as it declares a verdict, that's sly Gege

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 15, 2023

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Since we aren't getting Sukuna's backstory via the trial, Uraume is another way to show it. It'd also give more insight on their motivations, as you've pointed out

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alright, TBC are actually readable.

Sukuna entertaining the trail could've been funny, but we're off the comedy hour break with Takaba so a little levity is fine. Loved Judgment snapping one eye open to deliver the veredict on the monster.

Confiscation targeting the Cursed Tool makes logical sense, and the possibility of the trial failing to remove Malevolent Shrine was explored - everyone here is jumping in now not because they're sure MS was successfully neutralized but because the sword meant Death Penalty, and if there was even a sliver of a chance for the non-heavy hitters to make a difference they'd previously agreed this was it. We can also intuit that Kamutoke has similar properties to Kashimo's CE, making it a practically sure-hit lethal attack, so that's still an extremely potent card to take away from Sukuna's deck.

All that said, narratively it does come off feeling cheap since we've already seen plenty from Malevolent Shrine, whereas Kamutoke only got used a couple times, and against someone it explicitly was ineffective against.

There's still creative ways to go from here, though. It's possible Higuruma counts as having possession of Kamutoke now due to the confiscation, or they could force another trial since like Hakari he's not limited to the one-and-done Domain use. I think the narrative flow here is suffering from the weekly chapter format rather than from Gege freewheeling it.

But I also think the hard cut end to the Sukuna vs Gojo match was cool and fitting, so what do I know.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

bit weird to start out praising their gender ambiguousness and then just call them "her" for the full post lol.

Chapter still sits weird with me. It doesn't feel earned, just sort of feels like Sukuna stumbles into win conditions.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Feels like the quality of the early scans did this chapter a disservice, this was a good chapter.

Sukuna lucked out, sure, but that isn't even where the tension of this moment comes from. Sukuna wanted the death penalty, it honestly doesn't seem like he cares that his shrine would be confiscated, which you can easily infer he knows since he was in yuji's body when they met higuruma. He's assuming he can handle the situation without shrine, probably with his cursed tool and cursed energy efficiency. And we know he still has access to a few of the ten shadows like max elephant. This really doesn't feel like an asspull, more like a bad situation getting worse for our heroes (and that guy in the sheisty)

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

hmm.

You could maybe argue that the cursed tool would've lead to a worse team for the heroes than Shrine would. It seems incredibly strong.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I firmly believe Sheisty Guy, kusakabe and higuruma would get absolutely cooked by the cursed tool, sukuna's seen choso fight plenty and could likely easily handle him with physical prowess alone (i love choso but as kenjaku showed out maneuvering blood manipulation isn't hard). these guys never stood a chance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

They'll be fine. Sukuna's goose is cooked.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://x.com/jjk_mya/status/1735870631906889845?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

Vol 25 cover

https://x.com/jjk_mya/status/1735874223548035451?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

Gege aiming to end the series before next year

https://x.com/jjk_mya/status/1735888182032384129?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

lol

yum fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 16, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The way Gege draws fingers. Someone pointed it out a while ago and I cannot stop laughing about it.

I even have a random shirt with Gojo's DE hand sign on it and like... you can't do that. Humans cannot do that with their fingers, sorry you had find out this way Gege

No:

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 16, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's a simple gesture to do, though?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Taima posted:

The way Gege draws fingers. Someone pointed it out a while ago and I cannot stop laughing about it.

I even have a random shirt with Gojo's DE hand sign on it and like... you can't do that. Humans cannot do that with their fingers, sorry you had find out this way Gege

No:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that's easy to do? Are my fingers hosed up, or am I just not reading the image the way you are? Getting the tip of my middle finger behind the first knuckle joint of my index finger isn't unusual at all.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

drat, fair enough- if you guys can do that in the same way then I guess I just suck at it.

Though to be fair its above the knuckle and kind of twisting outward. The way the fingers look as they lock together and arc around as they do so just don't track with something I expected hands to do.

literally sitting here trying to do it like an idiot

Here it is a bit more clear:

CharlestonJew posted:

I typed this post with one hand while doing that sign with the other

I get that a facsimile can be produced but think about how that would look head on? It doesn't loop directly around, it juts out and kind of snakes up and around, with empty space in between, before joining at closer to the top part of the finger. lol anyways ^_^

This isn't the only example or anything, gege hands are just wild sometimes.

For the record I was google image searching it and found THIS:

hoo boy

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 16, 2023

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I typed this post with one hand while doing that sign with the other

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Taima posted:

I get that a facsimile can be produced but think about how that would look head on? It doesn't loop directly around, it juts out and kind of snakes up and around, with empty space in between, before joining at closer to the top part of the finger.

I did it and twisted my hand around to make sure it looked the same way head on. Lining up the ring and little fingers to a drawing is more challenging than crossing the middle behind the index.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

how does this end before the end of the year without next chapter being "rocks fall everyone dies"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

how does this end before the end of the year without next chapter being "rocks fall everyone dies"

We're still in 2023.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Sukuna whips everyone's rear end but decides he's still bored and would rather Yuji develop a glimpse of something he shows here so they can have a definitive battle and he walks away to do whatever while the heros regroup and power up?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Taima posted:

No:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

It's supposed to end before next jump festa. If there's 11 months of chapters, that means there will be roughly 46 left. Let's put in 6 breaks so an even 40.

He had to wrap up the sukuna fight and then have a denouement and epilogue. Seems doable i guess.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bet they can't even do the Naruto handsigns smh

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

IIRC Gege said last year he had been looking to end JJK this year, so while I can see it happening he could also end up overshooting anyway. I'm sure Jump is content to let him take as long as he wants, so it's down to how he paces the remaining conflicts (which should be just Uraume/Sukuna, and maybe bonus Kenjaku as a sort of "Saruman in the Shire" situation).

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Its just disappointing because I don’t think we had the information that confiscation would 100% target the cursed tool. If it chose the tool by chance then that would be an acceptable outcome. If Sukuna had figured out that loophole and declared it outright that might be cool. But instead we get a text box saying that Higuruma and Sukuna both realized their chance of success was a sham except Gege fails to show their reasoning.

I guess this is the second time we’ve had a situation where there’s been a sudden turnaround, but just like Gojo being bisected this also feels weakly executed rather than demonstrating overwhelming power.

Still looking forward to seeing what the team up manages but disappointed the Higuruma strat fumbled the ball after the Takaba strat was so fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Neither Higuruma nor Sukuna knew this would happen, they were just the first to realize it afterwards.

Sukuna’s real CT is Plot Armor