Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Southern Cassowary posted:

i watched fifteen minutes of this on twitch a while ago and loved the aesthetic

sort of wondering what it's like as i've heard people allude to la mulana when talking about it but i'm not really sure how deep the rabbit hole is

it's a simple top-down gameboy-style block puzzler where you go room by room solving puzzles.

that is also a tragic dark fantasy story about a lesbian and her relationship with a princess she acted as retainer to, full of strange hidden mechanics it slowly unfolds to you across a single playthrough with the expectation that you'll go back and utilize them in future playthroughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Colonel posted:

it's a simple top-down gameboy-style block puzzler where you go room by room solving puzzles.

that is also a tragic dark fantasy story about a lesbian and her relationship with a princess she acted as retainer to, full of strange hidden mechanics it slowly unfolds to you across a single playthrough with the expectation that you'll go back and utilize them in future playthroughs

yeah i gathered the first bit lol

the second bit was what i think people were alluding to

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The GBF game should add Tenryu Light.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Go really wild and make Granblue Rising DLC crossover characters. Like had Aquors, the Geass cast and Cure White and Black

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Go really wild and make Granblue Rising DLC crossover characters. Like had Aquors, the Geass cast and Cure White and Black

Ah sweet, a match between my two favourite Granblue originals: Bo-bobo vs Milla Maxwell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuyy65LjI4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There is actual potential for Gachapin and Mukku to be dlc fighters

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its Friday! Im free!

Should split my time this weekend between new Pokemon DLC and finishing 86.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Friday night and I want to go out somewhere but everyone I've asked is busy and I don't really know any bars or clubs in Ottawa to go solo.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Go to one by your home that you can quickly leave if the vibes are bad

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Friday night and I want to go out somewhere but everyone I've asked is busy and I don't really know any bars or clubs in Ottawa to go solo.

Bars bad alcohol bad stay in and enjoy some Gundam or play FF14.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1735838225334202432

Eighting, the developers of DNF Duel, are making a HxH fighting game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DNF duel was poo poo from an rear end wasn't it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They also did MvC3 and Bloody Roar so they are a land of contrasts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I didn't play it but eighting's other fighting games are ftw (Fate/uc, mvc3, tvc, all loving seven bleach games for PSP)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Kikori so gooooooooooooood.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it's a mixture of things, not the least of which being the real lack of an established market compared to Japan. It doesn't mean that the marketable scene doesn't exist internationally, there have been popular book series that started off as fanfiction before the serial numbers were filed off. But as a culture it doesn't have as much of a foothold in physical media compared to something like zines.

Ive written fanfiction in the past. Hell, I'm writing some now for the first time in like ten years. It can be a good creative outlet, kinda like buying a Lego kit and then modding it with other pieces to make something with your own flair.

Thanks for the input. I did forget about stuff like 50 Shades which was originally Twilight fanfic. I just think the doujin scene is cool.

Speaking of which, does anyone here have a fanfic that they thought had a better/more interesting continuation of a show/manga?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

yeah basically ever p4 fic I read while bored at work in 2009 lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Thanks for the input. I did forget about stuff like 50 Shades which was originally Twilight fanfic. I just think the doujin scene is cool.

Speaking of which, does anyone here have a fanfic that they thought had a better/more interesting continuation of a show/manga?
its pretty much official fanfic, but some of the robotech comics arent bad and are mostly compatible with macross if you mentally change the names of everyone. theres a prequel one in particular thats, way better than macross zero

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As for negative reactions to western fanfic compared to doujins, I dunno, the reasons are as varied as opinions. If something is good there will be people saying it would be better if it was original. If it's bad then it's indicative of a derivative medium lacking substance. Repeat ad infinitum. Someone who dislikes fanfic will always find a reason to justify their view.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btSzHO6zyFc

Dandadan coming in October

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I keep hearing about Dandandan but just haven't committed the time to it. so the follow up question is what manga reader do people use? Dandandan doesn't show up on Viz or Shonen Jump but does on Manga Plus. I honestly can't really tell why there's 3 in the first place but I assume licensing

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's not in the Shonen Jump app due to content, similar to how you can't read Golden Kamuy in the app. So Mangaplus is your only app option, otherwise you can use browser with your Shonen Jump account.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

haypliss posted:

It's not in the Shonen Jump app due to content, similar to how you can't read Golden Kamuy in the app. So Mangaplus is your only app option, otherwise you can use browser with your Shonen Jump account.

holky gently caress how have I never figured this out before. there's a couple series that just showed up that I've been meaning to read. thank you kind goon :pray:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah it’s something they should really be more upfront about, although idk if doing something like making a Dandadan page on the Jump app and having it tell you “this is free with the SJ subscription but you have to read it on the website” is a gray area for the app rules about explicit content.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A "select titles available on website" notice wouldn't violate Apple's TOS. But everybody's so gunshy about pissing off Apple I can see why they don't.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I loving hate my anxiety over stupid poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I get that they're going to want to stay faithful to the manga but I was also kinda hoping they would change the first chapter's adaptation at least a bit. But based on the end of the trailer, I guess not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also doujins in japan have way more integration with the actual mainstream of manga creation. like plenty of published mangaka still do doujins on the side. like bocchi was one of the biggest anime of 2022 and there were a lot of articles about the original author being swamped at comiket due to bocchi's popularity. meanwhile the 50 shades author basically erased all mention of her ever having made fanfic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To a large extent that's because of the publishing industry's hostility towards fanfiction. They see it as both competition and copyright violation, which is pretty dumb tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the doujin scene started really early in the post-war manga industry's life, and at first it was largely just authors who had already been published self-publishing original works that were too controversial. it only started working with other properties a bit later. it seems like a case where jp companies unanimously decided it was already too ingrained to try and take down, and it'd be bad PR to try. especially since doujin stuff is both free advertising and a pathway for new properties. like if, say, sony or kadokawa, had judiciously shut down every doujin event ever, they wouldn't have fate/grand order making them billions.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

even beyond doujin being more integrated in the Japanese anime/manga industry, it doesn't have the negative stigma attached to it like fanfiction does in the west, despite it essentially being that. to give an example of something I'm familiar with, a lot of people who are fans of the old calvin and hobbes strips really dislike it when you try and portray how they think the former ended up in life, like a popular comic from ten years ago with an adult calvin giving hobbes to his daughter he had with his childhood frenemy and say it's akin to the author pissing on watterson (this is not an exaggeration - i saw this exact accusation on a reddit thread)

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 16, 2023

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Eh, I'd say that's because the kind of people who would look down on stuff like fanfiction/doujin would look down on fans of anime/games/etc. in the first place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Me, personally, when it comes to fandom I say fandon't.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

Many are saying this.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Just discovered this music video set to the song of Otaku Elf's OP, and now I'm trying to figure out where I've seen this art style before. (It wasn't the band's previous videos).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Srice posted:

you mean paying attention to their opinions on stuff or fanworks?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

you mean paying attention to their opinions on stuff or fanworks?

I don't engage with any of that stuff on any level but heck with what you're talking about, with how easy it is to find dumb takes on the internet I figure it's not something to fuss over anyways.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
*unsheates a katana like Kamina does in that one gurren lagann episode* long sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I managed to play thirty (30) whole minutes of a Real rear end Videogame this morning. on the road to gamer recovery