Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm really digging mg tsubame now. it's asking the question "what if a random girl who became a magical girl was fundamentally incapable of fighting?" good intentions, a frilly dress and the power of friendship just aren't enough. rui simply should not be doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm really digging mg tsubame now. it's asking the question "what if a random girl who became a magical girl was fundamentally incapable of fighting?" good intentions, a frilly dress and the power of friendship just aren't enough. rui simply should not be doing this.

I know it's the same author but isn't this the same premise as PPPPPP (sp) but with magical girl powers instead of piano playing talent?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Shes very capable at fighting, she just doesnt understand anything thats going on and is blithely unaware why she is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Found Akanebanashi merch which surprised me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Found Akanebanashi merch which surprised me.

Ah, lo-fi beats to memorize rakugo and relax to.

She's not like ultra-merchandizable but the cast is fun and the art's been real nice when it got color pages.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Glazius posted:

Ah, lo-fi beats to memorize rakugo and relax to.

She's not like ultra-merchandizable but the cast is fun and the art's been real nice when it got color pages.

I reckon the series actually has a really good style for merchandise, very distinctive faces both for telling the series apart from others and for telling characters apart. Every character has a small chibi design for easy recognition as well as their standard more detailed one.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Diasporaiser: This has been fun but "Final Arc" on the cover of the latest chapter makes me wonder how much more it has in it.

Someone on Reddit mentioned that it was always intended as a short "feel out how to do a manga" sort of comic, which makes sense; it's had the bones of something longer but has definitely condensed a lot of what would normally be much bigger arcs into just a couple of chapters. And that art style is great but has got to be hellish on the typical manga production cycle.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Shes very capable at fighting, she just doesnt understand anything thats going on and is blithely unaware why she is.

Tsubame is capable at fighting, Rui is very much not (but with the nature of what a MG is in this story, she can't exactly stop being one).

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Stage S finally returns from hiatus

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto goes hard

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Martial Master Asumi: Game on! :allears:

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

2.5 Dimensional Seduction is probably one of the underrated titles that had been essentially fully dumped (150+ chapters) onto Manga Plus two months ago. Given scanlation was behind by 40+ chapters its no wonder pretty much the only way to read it is on the app. But then they essentially took the Seven Seas release and censored it to all hell until essentially chapter 60 so that people are even more discouraged by it.

And that's a problem considering how the manga has developed over time from ecchi harem rom com to dropping that premise after the second girl and switching to more Cosplay Battle, Drama, Comedy, and Romance series that punches above its weight class. The series shines when it fully embraces its Otakuness and dives into the psychology of what it means to cosplay professionally and as a hobby, what it means to be an Otaku in the first place, and the overall nature of passion and love as framed in the lens of Otakuness. I like how it takes a simple background of "My mom cheated on my dad, and my first crush rejected my confession so I turned to 2D," and turns that into an exploration of distrust, being burned, but also healing. Fromyes, people do actually like you to it's okay to like other people to It's okay to like multiple people and even the self awareness of love in fiction versus reality as seen by the club advisor Mayuri who ends up dating her friend since high school because she wants to see if falling in love with her is possible.

If one simply has to compare it to Sono Bisque Doll, just imagine most of the cast is some degree of Marin, taking in either her Otaku side or her Gal and Model side.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Undead Unluck: Interesting that Language is one of the top 10 master rules. It was an enemy in the previous Loop that Nico defeated and caused the language unification.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Undead Unluck: Interesting that Language is one of the top 10 master rules. It was an enemy in the previous Loop that Nico defeated and caused the language unification.

You're misremembering. The language unification was the quest reward for killing Language, it wasn't a natural byproduct of its death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

You're misremembering. The language unification was the quest reward for killing Language, it wasn't a natural byproduct of its death.

You’re correct, but I was mainly thinking about how Nico beat it by himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can imagine how Unforgettable might be pretty OP against language

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There could be some scaling going on to pretend to keep things fair. Only 1 person(Nico) was allowed to participate in that quest.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: Never thought about it before, but this chapter touched it somewhat and now I am kinda curious what the first loop looked like. Were there originally no Rules? How the hell would that kind of world even work, considering rules seem to be stuff like animals, language or gender? Just some kind of literal biblical paradise? Also good observation that Language seemed to be soloed by Niko in previous loop, although that might have been just early chapter weirdness.

Kagurabachi: Another setup chapter for Kagurabankai. I wonder if that supermove at the end is it, or if it's just Chichiro mixing abilities in an unorthodox way.

MamaYuyu: Living in a world of constant rain, while your the lady you are supposed to defeat can freeze water at will would suuuck. Also no big surprise, but Corleo seems to be the only Hero (and Demon Lord?) without a massively tragic backstory.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: That's really hosed up and incredibly selfish thing our protagonist is asking for.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: That's really hosed up and incredibly selfish thing our protagonist is asking for.

Absolutely, although I really liked her response to it.

I wonder if we're heading into the series finale with this arc. I hope not, because I think it'd be really good to see the fallout from however this resolves, but I'm not expecting much once this arc wraps up

Witch Watch: fantastic, Dragon Lady fits in perfectly with the rest of these idiots

MMA: Nao is so cool :swoon:

And love the backstory for the oji-sama

Akane-banashi: this chapter isn't going to hurt the Akane/Hikaru shipping lol

Green Green Greens: wow, he really does play dirty lol. But it comes from an earnest place and it works

Sakamoto Days: drat Sakamoto, you didn't have to be so extra there

Nue's Exorcist: a whole lot of sighing on my part while reading this chapter

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: Of course the gamble man is going to ask if his proteges can bet it all. I like how I'm honestly unsure if Akane is ready for this or if she's still going to be finding herself on stage instead of performing.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kagurabachi is still keeping my interest between the main villain of the arc having his own little character growth and a really good flashback with his dad.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shojo Null: Lmao, I love the police chief now. He's so over the top he's hilarious.

Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: You can see the detective girl hanging for her life on the boat in the background. :allears: This continues to own.

Demon Lord Exchange!!: Ok, I was kinda whatever about this series before, but this last twist definitely got my butt into the seat. I'm all on board now.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 23, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shojo Null: Lmao, I love the police chief now. He's so over the top he's hilarious.

Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: You can see the detective girl hanging for her life on the boat in the background. :allears: This continues to own.

Demon Lord Exchange!!: Ok, I was kinda whatever about this series before, but this last twist definitely got my butt into the seat. I'm all on board now.

Shojo: Lol, stop messing around dealing drugs! Just join the police and commit crimes without risk of getting caught! Shojo Null is a comedy is disguise.

Demon lord exchange: agree! I wonder what the game here is? Maybe the vessel is trying to find a weakspot in the demon lord.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Huh, apparently Undead Unluck anime is on Disney+ where I live. That’s an interesting surprise.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, it's a good twist that I think the series needed

Diasporaiser: I honestly think the series had more legs than this, but better to go out on a high than dragging to the end, I suppose

Sachi's Records: honestly a great chapter. Really sums up each character's role perfectly, while revealing that all those points gags are being tracked of, and aren'tjust throwaway gags

Hope You're Happy, Lemon: lol at Kogahara

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Huh, apparently Undead Unluck anime is on Disney+ where I live. That’s an interesting surprise.

It is a Hulu show and they're integrating those.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i was enjoying Hope You're Happy, Lemon to begin with, but i love that both leads have accidentally seduced their best friends in bodyswap mode. this is the kind of messy drama i live for

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
The God Before Me: almost thought that this was gonna be a comedy series at the start, but I like the premise. A guy trying to dig himself out of the hole he's in is a bit of a change of pace from the usual prodigy stuff we normally see

MMA: Nao's so cool :allears:

Two On Ice: something I think this series does well is pointing out how physical development can affect performance, especially with athletes who are still growing, and what figure skaters specifically have to consider when it comes to the demands of the sport. It's also interesting that it took away the triple axel from the MC, since him learning it was such a big deal

Kill Blue: Friend zoned

Witch Watch: I missed the Prez lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah MMA was hype as hell.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm glad it doesn't feel like Nao getting a token fight. This is genuine protagonist stuff. I really like MMA a lot.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MMA is great and I love Nao’s shark teeth mouth guard

Kagurabachi was also really good this week as well

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Undead Unluck: Did Fuko and Gina kill capitalism?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Undead Unluck: Did Fuko and Gina kill capitalism?

i think they just beat the poo poo out of it, but it would be funny if Fuuko’s assets liquidated because she killed capitalism.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Not the manga where I would have expected to see a whole chapter dedicated to a teenage boy masturbating.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

The God Before Me: almost thought that this was gonna be a comedy series at the start, but I like the premise. A guy trying to dig himself out of the hole he's in is a bit of a change of pace from the usual prodigy stuff we normally see
I did get more interested in the chapter once the last match was underway. I like the idea that he tried to play more orthodox styles of Shogi and it screwed him over so he's rediscovering his roots.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Not the manga where I would have expected to see a whole chapter dedicated to a teenage boy masturbating.

It's been how many years since the End of Evangelion? This chapter was so hosed up

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

It's been how many years since the End of Evangelion? This chapter was so hosed up

I was just :stare: the entire time. It was deeply uncomfortable to read, which was the whole point, I suppose

Daddy and Buddy: also speaking of uncomfortable! Letting the pedophile go while explaining just how bad grumble bugs (creatures that feed off of negative emotions that the pedophile was exploiting) can get over a person's lifespan just feels like an extreme dereliction of duty for a group of superheroes dedicated to keeping children safe from grumble bugs, but that's just me, I guess

Dark Doctor Ikuru: well, two more chapters until the end. Not that surprising unfortunately, considering how long the mangaka was sick, but the series had grown on me

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wild Strawberry sure is just Fire Force but with plants, huh. Less fanservice, more intricate art, less interesting characters, same framework. Well hey, I'll keep reading for plant monsters, fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did Fire Force wind up overall?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the ending got really weird, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Jiangshi X: well, the end is coming, to no one's surprise. Time skip didn't do much to improve anything

Hope You're Happy Lemon: Suzuka, I was rooting for you until the end there. Yikes

The God Before Me: so now we have a goal. The premise is really promising, and I'm liking the lead.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps: She just utterly destroyed him there. Good on her saving her man