Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is octoprint still around?

I know one person running it, who has been a zealot about it at me for a while, and I know they're still running it today because they texted me yesterday about finally fixing it from having bricked itself during a firmware update back in April. It was bricked because somebody was doing a firmware update from an iphone at the same time as someone in the room with the printer was performing a filament change. but now he can text me a link to watch a 480p stream of him printing a benchy! I will definitely watch that and not my own printer printing new things

Javid fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

queeb posted:

Also, for anyone looking for a store update, november was whack, cleared 24,000 in revenue in one month

Jesus. Congrats on making it work as a career!

How many printers are you running now?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is octoprint still around?

I have it hooked up to the E3v2 in the basement. Makes it reasonable to have a printer in the basement: I can turn power on and off with a big relay, monitor progress through the camera, send it gcode, and queue up print jobs. I still have to haul my rear end downstairs to get prints and prep the next job, but otherwise it's been really nice.

The new Prusa is upstairs in the family room, and while I figured out how to stream photos of the printer using a shell script (the official published method involves running a web browser forever, LOL), I haven't felt the need to hook anything else up beyond the built-in Prusa Connect stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was pretty happy with my Octoprint + Android (and OctoPod on iPhone) setup. The biggest issue was Octoprint’s auto updater not working worth a poo poo and practically forcing me to wipe and redo the install every time there was a major release.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

looks like there's an update for the X1C with motor noise cancellation? but you have to run a calibration process.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Most people are saying that it makes a noticeable difference as far as motor noise, but of course does nothing to quiet the fan noise

Bambu also said that same update will be rolling out to the P1's fairly soon-ish. Curious to see how it plays on the P1P in particular since there's no chamber fan.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well I used it to make a 'benchy' and it seemed a little quieter, i dunno.

(I am taking my partner on a cruise later in 2024 as an xmas gift and this will be wrapped up.)

I have got to nail down that banding on the stacks though. It's a factor of minimum layer time and print speed and a known issue with the X1C.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

armorer posted:

the BTT SKR E3 V3
Brother dearest who gave me this printer (I basically hijacked the thing after I learned he had it and it had been sitting in its unopened box in his attic for years) and knows computer good said the same thing. Rather than attempting to understand this for myself which is hard I'll just take your words for it.

Regarding the missing .3 mm I found them in the form of a very loose Z motor. I went diligently and checked that all the screws were tight in my post covid brain foggy sleep deprived haze but missed the two that were important. Last test cube was within 0.04 mm on all axis and I even noticed some difference between X and Y that I couldn't discern with just the calipers. There's no elephant foot anymore either, just some first layer squish but there are slicer settings for that I haven't tried yet. I'll go over everything again more thoroughly and get everything as mechanically in shape as I can, check that everything is as plumb and square as I can manage and so on but I think I'll be printing gears again soon. I feel like an idiot for not noticing this sooner, but I've given the printer some needed maintenance and learned a lot in the process so it's not all bad.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Invalido posted:

Brother dearest who gave me this printer (I basically hijacked the thing after I learned he had it and it had been sitting in its unopened box in his attic for years) and knows computer good said the same thing. Rather than attempting to understand this for myself which is hard I'll just take your words for it.

Regarding the missing .3 mm I found them in the form of a very loose Z motor. I went diligently and checked that all the screws were tight in my post covid brain foggy sleep deprived haze but missed the two that were important. Last test cube was within 0.04 mm on all axis and I even noticed some difference between X and Y that I couldn't discern with just the calipers. There's no elephant foot anymore either, just some first layer squish but there are slicer settings for that I haven't tried yet. I'll go over everything again more thoroughly and get everything as mechanically in shape as I can, check that everything is as plumb and square as I can manage and so on but I think I'll be printing gears again soon. I feel like an idiot for not noticing this sooner, but I've given the printer some needed maintenance and learned a lot in the process so it's not all bad.

"BIGTREETECH SKR MINI E3 V3.0"

I have no idea what SKR (silent somethng maybe?) stands for, but BTT is the company BIGTREETECH, who makes a number of different 3d printer components, with the "mini e3" being their ender 3 drop in board, and it's version 3 of that. If you ever decide to dive into a motherboard replacement, myself and others here can walk you through it. If you're just swapping in the Creality 4.2.7 board you should be able to just swap it and install the Creality firmware. If you want to swap to something like the SKR, then you'll need to be comfortable soldering a connector onto one of the fan wires and you should expect to need to compile the firmware from source. There are good tutorials on that, but it helps a lot if it's not your first time looking at source code. As someone who has written code professionally for over 20 years, the mechanics of the process were trivial but finding everything I needed to tweak was still a minor pain in the rear end. I would strongly not recommend it to someone who has no experience with software and/or no one to lean on for tech support.

Honesty I would do what you've already said though and just use the printer for a while before deciding to tweak much on it. I'm curious what two screws you tighten that restored your z height?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

armorer posted:

Honesty I would do what you've already said though and just use the printer for a while before deciding to tweak much on it. I'm curious what two screws you tighten that restored your z height?
I'm not overly fearful of burning my house down and killing my kids with toxic smoke, but as is the very small risk is seemingly greater than it needs to be which is dumb. I like to print when sleeping too. Which brings us to the stepper motor noise, which is a bit annoying and spreads through the house when everything is quiet. Fan whoosh is no big deal, comparatively. If €65 or whatever and some work makes me feel a little safer, sleep a little better and lets me print whenever without disturbing anyone that's a price I'll gladly pay. As for soldering and splicing cables or whatever that's no issue, I don't have mad skills or fancy gear like some people I know but I've soldered when needed for decades. Pinning tiny connectors is pretty new to me but I've done a bit of that too. I'll just have bro help me with all the computer touching and I have every confidence it will all work out just fine without me having to read instructions or look at source code with anything more than a fleeting glance stemming from near total ignorance. If bro says I should get the BBT whatever thingamajig instead of the other one because of reasons I'll take his word for it and he can deal with the consequences.

The Z motor is screwed to a plastic bracket which in turn is screwed directly into (not deburred) holes in the vertical rail with two heftier screws - these were loose. I remember being annoyed that I couldn't get the torquier end of the included hex wrench on them on assembly because the lead screw coupler or something was in the way so they never got tight enough and vibrated loose, probably. I assembled the printer at work (tiny school with quirky students I get to do fun stuff with) with only the tools that came in the box. I have better tools at home so they're tighter now, and there's always thread locker schmoo if this ever happens again. Anyways, the motor was flopping around a bit when going from negative Z travel to positive and it took rotation that corresponds with .3 mm vertical travel on the lead screw to pick up the slack before the gantry started moving upward like it should, which is why the raft prints worked fine. I used a dial indicator to see what the gantry/print head was doing when moving the Z in .1 mm increments, saw slop and realised it had to be related to the screw itself somehow once I satisfied myself the gantry was moving freely. Lead screw has a few micrometers of wear on the lowest bit where I print most so I turned it upside down because why not. Also the brass nut feels kind of sloppy, doubtful if it was like that when new so I think I'll replace at least the nut whenever the amazon man cometh with it and lube every once in a while and see how that goes long term, the screw is still wearing it's Chinese factory grease. Luckily parts for this thing are dirt cheap. For example I just realised I'll probably never bother cleaning nozzles when I can buy a bagful for pennies a pop. Hell, a double Z screw kit is like €35. I have no idea if that's worth it but intuitively it seems to make more mechanical sense than the current gantry. I can see why you did all those upgrades, tinkering is fun and it's not like this is an expensive hobby compared to some other stuff I enjoy, at least not on this scale. But yeah, the only mod I'm set on doing soon-ish is a new board. I have holiday travel plans so that will have to wait a while too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Invalido posted:

I'm not overly fearful of burning my house down and killing my kids with toxic smoke

Taking some basic precautions can make a tremendous difference in your risk of home fire. Do you have fire extinguishers in your house, and have you checked their expiration dates recently? Do your kids know the evacuation plan if there's a fire? Are you checking your smoke detector batteries and lifespan (they have to be replaced every 10 years)?

By "you", I mean you, the person reading this text right now.

Sorry for the derail but it seemed like an opportune moment for everybody to take 30 seconds and consider home fire safety.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 15, 2023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cruft posted:

Taking some basic precautions can make a tremendous difference in your risk of home fire. Do you have fire extinguishers in your house, and have you checked their expiration dates recently? Do your kids know the evacuation plan if there's a fire? Are you checking your smoke detector batteries and lifespan (they have to be replaced every 10 years)?

By "you", I mean you, the person reading this text right now.

Sorry for the derail but it seemed like an opportune moment for everybody to take 30 seconds and consider home fire safety.

I've been thinking a lot about this and I've come to the conclusion that the most affordable and relatively safe way to go about this would be an aluminum/metal enclosure (12u/15u server rack?), a blazecut fire extinguisher and one of these:

https://dockingdrawer.com/products/fire-guard-outlet?variant=40449767505963

Edit: if one were to go beyond the good precautions posted above

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 15, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FYI got an emails from iiid max, 10 pack of they weird colored filaments with shifts when they change their color manufacturing are $79.. that's fuckin sweet if you do a lot of prototype type printing where you dont care about color.

Also apparently they're changing their roll type.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I was hoping they might eventually update to a more AMS-friendly spool. I don't generally have too much trouble with the existing ones, but every now and then one of them is a little bit too wonky to run right. I'd happily give them an extra dollar or two per just for that, it'd still be the cheapest stuff you can buy in bulk about anywhere. All three of my machines are currently printing with their Space Gray right now, absolutely love that stuff.

E - just got the email and grabbed a transition pack. Those rolls are definitely friggin' fantastic if you don't care what color(s) the final product ends up as. Especially at ~8 bucks a pop!

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 16, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
3dprintlife, a place that makes exo friendly, low voc abs, etc has a deal on some unusual/ low selling spools for $7 a pop, free shipping.

I got some nylon analog and a spool of water soluble stuff to play along with for insane cheap

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm posting here so I don't forget I hid the cruise ship in her tchotchkes in the dining room.

But also for content mind your seam positions on the x1c, it really makes them obvious. She won't notice, but I did.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 16, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

WhiteHowler posted:

Jesus. Congrats on making it work as a career!

How many printers are you running now?

14 currently, probably try and get an even 20 going early next year and see how that does

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out of curiosity have you noticed a significant effect on your power bill?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Power is up, heating bills are down, and free plastic gasses!

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Roundboy posted:

3dprintlife, a place that makes exo friendly, low voc abs, etc has a deal on some unusual/ low selling spools for $7 a pop, free shipping.

I got some nylon analog and a spool of water soluble stuff to play along with for insane cheap

They’ve got some weird filaments for sure, like that anti viral/bacterial copper infused one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Waited a week for a replacement extruder to arrive and didn't fix my issue. My P1S still thinks the cutter is stuck and the filament sensor in the toolhead won't sense so it won't load filament. So it's the toolhead board and not the sensor itself. This is annoying, as the sub-boards are out of stock on their website.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe 30/month if that, and that's running full tilt all the time

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Congrats to you man, that's awesome.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Wanted to share this print: https://makerworld.com/en/models/93385#profileId-99778

I'm halfway through printing the parts. Just in awe of the design work that went into this one, the tolerances on everything are simply perfect for easy assembly.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
What’s everyone’s experience with the Bambu smooth PEI sheet? Got it with my A1 Mini as I have preferred smooth PEI over textured for PLA in the past.

Everything with a brim has been fine and sticks super well but everything without a brim has been prone to popping off after a couple hours. This is PLA+, bed has not been soiled with nasty human hands/oils. Luckily the part-cancelling ability has saved the other objects but it’s still frustrating and did ruin a bed of prints last night.

I’m printing a lot of flexi animals of various types for the holidays and would prefer to avoid brims or glue so looking for other answers if they exist

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Well that's going onto my "to-print" list. Good catch.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Bodanarko posted:

bed has not been soiled with nasty human hands/oils

Might still have oil on it from the factory, recommend giving it a scrub with dish soap and a coarse sponge. What bed temp are you using? I like 60C for PLA+.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Might still have oil on it from the factory, recommend giving it a scrub with dish soap and a coarse sponge. What bed temp are you using? I like 60C for PLA+.

Yeah factory residue occurred to me while typing that out so I’ll give that a try after this print finishes. Using 60C as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wow that motor noise canceling upgrade from Bambu is nuts. Night-and-day difference in noise.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does it slow it down at all?

I might miss the sound of my people, how else will I know it failed to retract, an app?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

So... people "claim to". But printers use 20-60w continuous. Unless you're in germany, this is going to be only vaguely detectable on a power bill. At least one time, it turned out that they had their printer in the garage, and checking the printer every hour was making a big difference because they were opening the house to check the printer all the time.

In winter, it should be at best a wash, as it adds heat to the house. Summer.. well it's the same as having a light bulb on.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nerobro posted:

In winter, it should be at best a wash, as it adds heat to the house.

Oh boy, do I get to talk about heat pump efficiency now?

Nerobro posted:

printers use 20-60w continuous. ... it's the same as having a light bulb on.

Do I get to talk about LED bulb efficiency, too? :swoon:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ooh ooh I know this one! I have a ~smart meter~ that lets me track my electric consumption down to the hour, so while I can't zoom into specific devices exactly, I can compare the records to what I was doing that day and make educated guesses. The printer uses so little power than I can't track a net change on the days/hours it's in use, which was the best possible answer to get when I first got into the hobby

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

cruft posted:

Oh boy, do I get to talk about heat pump efficiency now?

Do I get to talk about LED bulb efficiency, too? :swoon:

If you really want to, you already seem to know. :-) And I certainly don't need the education. It really just points a light on how little most people actually know about what uses power in their house.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Nerobro posted:

So... people "claim to". But printers use 20-60w continuous. Unless you're in germany, this is going to be only vaguely detectable on a power bill. At least one time, it turned out that they had their printer in the garage, and checking the printer every hour was making a big difference because they were opening the house to check the printer all the time.

In winter, it should be at best a wash, as it adds heat to the house. Summer.. well it's the same as having a light bulb on.

With 20 of them that's 9-28ish KWh a day, that will be noticed, doesn't matter where you live.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh cool. Just found out if you hate the app you can watch the camera stream for the k1 max in VLC.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Oh cool. Just found out if you hate the app you can watch the camera stream for the k1 max in VLC.

:stare:

Please tell you me you need to authenticate something to see that stream...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Unboxed my a1, got it printing in 20 minutes, immediately printed a benchy with 0 tweaking and then started a 4 hour print at Sport speed. Amazing.

What are the differences and use cases for the nozzles that are available for it? I'm going to do a filament order and I think I'll add one to play with.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

deimos posted:

With 20 of them that's 9-28ish KWh a day, that will be noticed, doesn't matter where you live.

If you've got 20 printers you're not complaining about the power use of your printer. Nor are you going to be the type who is trying to save power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

:stare:

Please tell you me you need to authenticate something to see that stream...

Honestly, no clue. Just saw a post about it on a Facebook group. I'd say naturally you need to but this app is so clusterfucked that it's not a given.