Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Larryb posted:

Vegapunk and the rest of his gang have also already been cast and can be seen on the same page (I forget if it’s the same actor that voiced him in a flashback a while ago though)

lmao that Stella is same va as Japanese Rick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tampa Bae posted:

I think Nami and Robin were worse in the 4kids dub, but there's arguments that Luffy and Usopp were as good or better than their replacements too. The 4Kids Zoro was absolutely the best dub voice and that theoretical 4kids voice dub where Franky sounded like Arnold is goated
False, Texas Robin was better than any possible Robin voice before or since.

Nikumatic posted:

lmao that Stella is same va as Japanese Rick

Looking at the collage of his previous roles it's basically just his typecast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

False, Texas Robin was better than any possible Robin voice before or since.

Looking at the collage of his previous roles it's basically just his typecast.

Yeah, the guy plays a lot of mad scientists it seems

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

God I love lovely Arnold fandub Franky.

“Looks like this one’s…up in ze air!”
“The best laid plans…of me”

It's the most pitch perfect parody ever.

Kinda want to see 4Kids explain away Ace's death

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Electric Phantasm posted:

theyd probably just cut the entire paramount war

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Electric Phantasm posted:

He'd probably get sent to the bottom of Impel Down and Luffy would never think about it again because his other brother shows up not long afterwards

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The stairs strike again!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elblanco posted:

The stairs strike again!

It’s still weird to me that 4Kids actually wound up making Kuina’s situation arguably worse in the dub (jealous students beat the poo poo out of a child if I recall correctly), though that does kind of sound like something Oda would write

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 17, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Larryb posted:

It’s still weird to me that 4Kids actually wound up making Kuina’s situation arguably worse in the dub (jealous students beat the poo poo out of a child if I recall correctly), though that does kind of sound like something Oda would write

Actually worse in that it wasn't the other students at the dojo but a bunch of adults she'd beaten in duels before, so instead of dying in a completely normal accident that could reasonably happen to anyone in real life, 4kids had a group of grown men beat a child to the point of her being too crippled to move ever again.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
something i really hope they do with The One Piece is any time oda doesnt answer a mystery he really wanted to, they get to actually answer it.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
From a couple pages back, but:

Waffleman_ posted:

And even with the traditional Oda phrasing, it sounds like he's serious about the manga's ending being Actually Imminent

Even if it's a short arc, we still have to do Elbaf before Laugh Tale, and we'll likely be there for at least half a year (probably more).

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm also interested in the fact that The OP will be an adaptation with the benefit of almost full hindsight, so I wonder if some things will be changed to better reflect or foreshadow future information. We saw a little bit of it in the live action with Shanks using Conqueror's on the sea king

I kinda hope they import some of the LA changes. There's some legitimately better character interaction stuff there like Koby and Garp, and Nami and basically everyone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm curious how they'll adapt the cover stories this time, if at all. They're kind of too thin to work into standard episodes, and they really do work best when you're checking back in on them over a regular period.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

I'm curious how they'll adapt the cover stories this time, if at all. They're kind of too thin to work into standard episodes, and they really do work best when you're checking back in on them over a regular period.

End cards

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am curious about the approach they'll take as well. Like will it just be completely faithful to the manga or are they allowed to add in OPLA-style retroactive foreshadowing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

There will be popping noises in the background of episode 1 to align it with chapter 1101

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

anime was right posted:

something i really hope they do with The One Piece is any time oda doesnt answer a mystery he really wanted to, they get to actually answer it.
Sounds like an Oda thing to just dictate a throw-away line that nobody pays attention to in The One Piece that becomes relevant five years from right now when they're finally about to find the One Piece

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the 4kids dub had kept going Sakazuki would definitely have been a goofy R Lee Ermey impression

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It'd be really funny if no one ever actually finds or gets the one piece in the end

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It'd be really funny if no one ever actually finds or gets the one piece in the end

what are you talking about, it's coming to netflix

they just announced it

we'll find it there

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The one piece was unironically the friends we made along the way

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

it's not that he said it wasn't!!!!!!!!!

that's a boring adventure!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's a one piece swimsuit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1736325119323132415?s=20

I love him

E:
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1736349925644894232?s=20

I'm seeing a couple people infer this to mean generative AI but I think it's just using modern animation tech to adapt a series that was last animated in 1999

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 18, 2023

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope they keep the music mostly the same. Got some real iconic tracks there.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yep. ave maria, from the new world, etc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s going to be all CG

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And I’ll freakin love it!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Arist posted:

That is a fun thingy for sure. I think of them kind of like silent films, what with the caption and no dialogue balloons generally etc. So having them as actual little short films would be fun. I think expanding those into fully dialogued and elaborated on episodes is filler pretty much, which isn't a bad thing, but yeah you can get the gist of Django's dance adventure etc across in a few mins total I think.

I'll say overall I think this is very cool news, but it's funny it's almost bittersweet, since it's almost like it's either not for me, or it's just something I'll pop on and binge in 15 to 20 years. When I'm in my 50s I guess?

I just don't feel like I need another take on the early stuff, and it's the second half of the anime where the pacing dipped down to around 1 ch an ep that I really feel like needs a new adaptation. I stopped watching the anime in Punk Hazard myself, so the dream just for me scenario would be if they start adapting right in the middle of the series. I know that makes no sense overall, but the stuff that I'd really dig in this new style will be many many years away in this current model. Assuming the new version doesn't get canned at some point along the way.

But this is fun, and hey it's nice to get the thing I wanted possibly 20 years later rather than not at all. Like Half-Life 3. But yeah I wonder how long realistically it would take for them to get to the Fishman Arc after the timeskip for example?

Return to Sabaody is ch 598. So I guess at even say an average of 6 chapters an episode, that would take 100 episodes to get to. And this model of non-continuous higher production value anime I'm guessing could not do more than 26 episodes a year, and I wouldn't be surprised at a slower pace than that. And sometimes there are breaks of longer than a year with these.

But say it all goes well, I guess maybe they'd cover some arcs I'd like to see like Dressrossa etc in maybe 10 years? And I personally think something like 4 chapters an episode might be a better fit for the material than 6 anyway (I know Stardust Crusaders was around 4), but just some numbers fun. Hell I think outside of fights, 3 chapters per 20 min episode would be plenty, it is fun to hang out and be on the cruise.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 18, 2023

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the one piece in the story is a manga, nika never existed he was a manga/comic hero that joyboy wished into being

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

the one piece in the story is a manga, nika never existed he was a manga/comic hero that joyboy wished into being
I always liked this theory because of the recursive implication that we could in turn make One Piece (the manga about the manga) real, fostering one random dude to become Joy Boy and incite a planet-wide revolution that overthrows our world government

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ooo hadn't heard that one, but that would be utterly charming.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cat Machine posted:

I always liked this theory because of the recursive implication that we could in turn make One Piece (the manga about the manga) real, fostering one random dude to become Joy Boy and incite a planet-wide revolution that overthrows our world government

Seems plausible

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I would happily lay down my life for Inaki

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Inaki save us from the IMF

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inaki Aniki :qq:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cat Machine posted:

I would happily lay down my life for Inaki

He will lead us in a revolution against our World Government(s).

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

tbp posted:

Written by O D. a

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

tbp posted:

I’m still a fan of it being a giant Afro and Long Ring, Long Land basically was a reenactment of what Joy Boy did (perverted and changed across history) since that is where freedom is the strongest.

Or it’s Binks Sake cup.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

He will lead us in a revolution against our World Government(s).
I pogged out when Oppenheimer said “we cant let a weapon like this fall into the hands of the World Government” in the hit movie Oppenheimer (2023)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

theres only 2 things that instantly make anyone who sees/hears it have the singular reaction of pure laughter: whatever they found at laugh tale, and luffys dream