Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

There's a YouTube channel that has Cat's Eye up all official like (at least in the States) and I'd forgotten how easy to watch in chunks it is. Hitomi is sort of dating Toshio, who is a cop which is unfortunate, but also Cat's Eye make the cops look like buffoons so net positive.

Yea it's also all up on Crunchyroll too. Never been a better time for folks to check out Cat's Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Picked up a tone of stuff I had been waiting on. The J9 shows going out of print before I could snag a copy (and then ballooning in price) triggered my FOMO more than I'd like to admit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I went for it on that sale too, it seems Discotek has everything. Got Lupin pt 4, Hajime no Ippo 1, Lupin: Angel Tactics, Lupin: Missed by a Dollar, New Cutie Honey, Re: Cutie Honey pre-order, Street Fighter II movie, Fatal Fury OVA (already had the movie). Haven't bought so much anime in quite some time. All that stuff could be in a museum, priceless art.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Discotek did a good job with that Fist of the North Star Legend of Raoh movie with the long rear end name, the dub is pretty drat good from what I've heard so far

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Excellent! Just got vol 9 of the Fist manga in the mail today too, what a saga.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chris Sabat as Souther is some good poo poo and they got the same Kenshiro from Lost Paradise back, it's cool

Edit, also Jesus CHRIST, are they gonna fuckin license the other two seasons of Ippo or what, I got my fuckin money ready you jerks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How much do you think Discotek spends to collect these licenses and get to work remastering them? Have a lot of them just been gathering dust? And then to shell out for new dubs as well. It's a good thing I'm just surprised it hasn't been done sooner.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm interested in the same thing, because they've had a steady stream of releases since they first started scooping up licenses and they've made every indication that the stuff they've done has sold well enough to keep growing their library

Wasn't it LOGH that had some ridiculous stipulations for licensing it for a long time? On top of a high cost? I wonder what's keeping the stuff in high demand like Monster from getting picked up again

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The release of Braiger came and went, apparently because no one bought it, so evidently not every title was a hit. Baldios too, for that matter.

Kind of tragic for me because I'm probably the few people who was actually interested, but I put off picking it up just a little too long.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'd love it if Disco could get ahold of RoD TV. (And if they have already, please let me know.)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Good soup! posted:

IWasn't it LOGH that had some ridiculous stipulations for licensing it for a long time? On top of a high cost? I wonder what's keeping the stuff in high demand like Monster from getting picked up again

I don't know about licensing, but back in the early 2000s, the original publisher floated a signup to gauge interest in a US DVD release. They wanted to see how many commitments they could get for a full series set retailing at $6000, iirc. Shockingly, they did not reach their target number.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I'd love it if Disco could get ahold of RoD TV. (And if they have already, please let me know.)

It's an Aniplex series so it's never gonna leave Aniplex jail. At most they could do a cheaper BD release on like Crunchy/Funi now that Sony owns them (But I really doubt it)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's an Aniplex series so it's never gonna leave Aniplex jail. At most they could do a cheaper BD release on like Crunchy/Funi now that Sony owns them (But I really doubt it)

I was afraid of that. Aniplex always seemed extremely resistant to the idea of releasing it (or the OVA) again. Thanks.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

I don't know about licensing, but back in the early 2000s, the original publisher floated a signup to gauge interest in a US DVD release. They wanted to see how many commitments they could get for a full series set retailing at $6000, iirc. Shockingly, they did not reach their target number.

lol what the gently caress

I have this weird memory of there being some requirement that it needed to be on primetime tv or some oddball horseshit but I likely have that completely confused with something else

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bgc-vinyl/bubblegum-crisis-deluxe-vinyl-soundtrack-box-set

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good soup! posted:

lol what the gently caress

I have this weird memory of there being some requirement that it needed to be on primetime tv or some oddball horseshit but I likely have that completely confused with something else

Yeesh. That's like Gainax making Funimation give the Eva movies a theatrical release.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hell, $200 is cheaper than what I paid to import them all with cdjapan - and i didn't even get a fancy box!

Nipponophile posted:

They wanted to see how many commitments they could get for a full series set retailing at $6000, iirc.
so like $55 an episode?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Ah, my memory was failing me. They only wanted $2000 for the potential LoGH DVD set. There was a non-binding preorder form, where they were hoping to have at least 1500 sign up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

so like $55 an episode?

It does put one in mind of The Old Days where they wanted 30 for two episodes on DVD, something some companies never could figure out just didn't fly outside of Japan (and I believe led to reverse importing in Japan).

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

of course i saw that discotek sale after i paid full price for urusei yatsura and gunbusters on amazon :(

is the devilman series worth getting?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/endshark/status/1678444122435198985

Valid reminder.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is Ruin Explorers any good?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I downloaded it last time I saw a twitter thread on it but never watched it lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Is Ruin Explorers any good?

I quite like it. It's got some very Western cartoon influenced vibes. There's a dog one of the characters has who is basically Muttley from Hanna-Barbera's Dastardly & Muttley. It's an OVA so it's only like four episodes and has that nice extra OVA budget kick to the animation. Even the dub, despite being from the time period when ADV hadn't really figured out how to direct good dubs is very solid.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Been rewatching Silver Spoon. Good youthful anime about farming

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've entered my 'big fan of Lupin III' phase. I was provided with this handy guide:

Found that I do enjoy it when it's less morally ambiguous but I plan on catching Fujiko Mine (heh) soon.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
WCFM was my intro to the franchise and to this day that series and the OVAs in its wake are the most I've vibed with the cast? I love me some Lupin, but drat that whole streak is all about a bunch of backstabbing outlaws with occasional moments of appreciating one another rather than it being the power of friendship.

To this day I still randomly think of (end of Fujiko Mine) Fujiko laughing in a dying paralyzed girl's face and showing off everything she can do with her life that this "mastermind" was denied for all her effort, to the point that after she expires Lupin just goes "Jesus, that was a bit much." and how that still wasn't a deal breaker for him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My Iria Blu-Ray shipped! :toot:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just got a bunch of Discotek blu-rays in the mail, since they were waiting on that Re: Cutie Honey pre-order. Totes one of the finest things Anno had a hand in. Got several Lupin ones too!

Dawgstar posted:

I've entered my 'big fan of Lupin III' phase. I was provided with this handy guide:

Found that I do enjoy it when it's less morally ambiguous but I plan on catching Fujiko Mine (heh) soon.

Groovy! Lupin is my fav anime franchise for sure, it is mondo cool. And for the record, because we can talk here, Fujiko is by far my fav anime waifu. Nobody is better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1731748900716134743

This might be exciting? I genuinely don't know, I just heard about it for ages.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
The manga and anime for Lovely Complex are both excellent. Definitely exciting for me.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I’ve recently re-watched California Crisis and Riding Bean. Does anyone have some recommendations for fun action OVAs? I’ve seen Redline as well which was fantastic. I’d love more car chase stuff if it’s out there.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Der-Wreck posted:

I’ve recently re-watched California Crisis and Riding Bean. Does anyone have some recommendations for fun action OVAs? I’ve seen Redline as well which was fantastic. I’d love more car chase stuff if it’s out there.

Gun Smith Cats to go with that Riding Bean?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Read or Die is a classic, I'd say some OVAs that later followed with TV shows are good even if not watching the whole TV thing. Say the You're Under Arrest OVA, Patlabor OVA (I'll finish the TV one day), and Lupin the Third has a million cool TV specials/movies/OVAs. City Hunter too, though you'd probably wanna watch the TV show a bit first.

Mixing genres a bit, but El Hazard is a fun OVA series, Cyber City Eodo, Megazone 23, Fatal Fury of course. And depending on your Go Nagai proclivity, Cutie Honey has two OVA series, and Mazinkaiser rules. Record of Lodoss War rules. Goku Midnight Eye, the old Grappler Baki OVA, Cashan Robot Hunter, Dominion Tank Police, Armitage III, Iria, 3x3 Eyes, gotta love OVAs.

To throw a couple movies in, Golgo 13: The Professional is a cool action flick, also the Space Adventure Cobra movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll throw Gunbuster into the mix. Both the Read or Die OVA and TV series are excellent so I'll back that recommend. Personal favorite of the one listed is El-Hazard which might have been the first great dub I ever heard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ardeem posted:

Gun Smith Cats to go with that Riding Bean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXE4wO-Qt48

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Thank you all for the recommendations! Started with Gun Smith Cats and drat it is exactly what I was looking for! :perfect:

Can’t wait to see some more of the recommendations!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a couple gunsmith cats knockoffs rolling around but you're really not getting much from them that the show already gives you.

Good car chases are surprisingly rare in anime, though I guess it's to be expected because animating cars has got to be very difficult to do well. So many shows stick to CGI for their cars now to deal with it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Der-Wreck posted:

Thank you all for the recommendations! Started with Gun Smith Cats and drat it is exactly what I was looking for! :perfect:

Can’t wait to see some more of the recommendations!

I used to have the first volume gunsmith on VHS, and I still say a dub line from it ("tempting, but I think I'll just call you when your guns ready"). Also I found my VHS copy of riding bean recently, complete with little paper insert! Great memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That Gunsmith Cats dub is classic fun, quoted that with my friends in High School for sure. "You may be ex-KGB, but money's your master now!"

And needless to say, the Riding Bean dub is just B-movie laidback fun, and that soundtrack rules, the songs like Road Buster are on spotify too.