Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does anybody know whether draft pick protection kicks in before or after the lottery? Like, say, if a hypothetical team, call them the Aquatic Icebirds, were to finish 9th to last and their pick is top-ten protected and they really would prefer to just convey it, could they bribe the league office to slide them down to 11th in the lottery? Asking for a friend.

For the Pens they can waive the protection if they see fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean… let’s not go crazy here

Alright, they don’t look this bad on paper

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Huge if true. Unironically. Are you sure on that?

Of course GMs are idiots so Dubas will probably choose to protect the #9 pick.

e: if nothing else simply because it frees up his 2025 1st to trade for a veteran later

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 18, 2023

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This is what I figured, as well. Not unlike how a player can waive a NTC.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Have a feeling DJ Smith will be joining the long line of former Sens coaches who will never be the head coach of an NHL team again

DJ Smith
Marc Crawford
Guy Boucher
Dave Cameron
Paul Maclean
Cory Clouston
Craig Hartsburg
John Paddock

The last coach who got a job elsewhere was Jacques in ‘04 lol

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be fair that by itself doesn't mean they're playing worse, just that they're shooting worse.

Oh I know, but they are playing worse as well as shooting way worse.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

If Keefe gets fired Boucher probably gets off that list! The likelihood of that has gone way down over the last couple weeks though, for better or worse

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Alright, they don’t look this bad on paper

They’re not a basement team, for sure

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Huge if true. Unironically. Are you sure on that?

Of course GMs are idiots so Dubas will probably choose to protect the #9 pick.

e: if nothing else simply because it frees up his 2025 1st to trade for a veteran later

Yes. It's top 10 protected meaning that if it ends up being a top 10 pick they can choose to keep it. They don't have to keep it. It's up to them. But obviously if they keep it, San Jose gets next years pick and if they're picking top 10 this year they might well be doing the same next year.

I'd definitely keep it if it's a top 3 pick but outside of that I'd have to think about it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Penguins are going to be strong contenders for a top-5 pick next year. I wouldn't keep this year's pick unless it was top 3.

The Pens are obviously going to keep and extend Guentzel for too much money for too many years plus a NMC. It's not even worth talking about really. It would be nice to get a first for him instead but the Pens are where they are and selling is not something they're going to do so long as Crosby is playing for them.

What they ought to do, if you're a sociopath, is trade both Guentzel and Karlsson in the next couple months and start the rebuild, and if Crosby doesn't want to stick around for that... well... okay. But unfortunately there is no path even back to the playoffs for the remainder of Crosby's career in any case.

More realistically, if Crosby wants to stick around and you want to keep trading futures for prospects so that Crosby gets to retire a Penguin, even if it rules out being competitive again before 2030, sure that's cool. But the one thing, the one thing, they absolutely cannot do is take any risk of trading away what turns out to be the #1 pick. And they will be at least a dark horse for the #1 pick beginning, uh, right now. If they want to keep trading firsts away that's cool, but they all have to be protected such that there is no risk of it ever turning out to be the #1.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 19, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

maybe yeah to all that but like

fire Sullivan first and see if you get the dead cat bounce

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

At this point the dead cat bounce would merely get them back around the playoff fringe, and it would be harshly downhill from there. Whoever replaces Sullivan, even if it isn't the utterly incompetent Todd Reirden, very likely will not turn out to be as good a coach.

Not really arguing against firing Sullivan. I just doubt it will make much difference at this point even in the medium term. It is overwhelmingly likely they'll Mutually Part Ways this summer and the Pens will hire Sheldon Keefe, who will very quickly get them into the tank, albeit not intentionally. Shame Guentzel will have a freshly signed 8 year extension by then.

e: the really remarkable thing about the Pens being in 14th place in the East is that Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Letang, and Karlsson have combined for a grand total of zero (0) missed games. That is drat near a miracle. If (read: when) any of them (but especially Crosby or Karlsson) miss some time woooooooo will it get ugly.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 19, 2023

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I wouldn't discount the Penghuins until their points percentage is lower than your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions, the Edmonton Oilers

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I actually don't think Sullivan is a bad coach but I do wonder if the Pens would do better under a different coach at this point. I think sometimes even good coaches get themselves stuck in ruts and relying on the same strategies and players when they've been there a long time and have coached core players for a long time. I feel like the Pens should be better than they are (but I'm not complaining abotu them sucking because lol gently caress the Pens)

Is there really any team that seems like a clearcut cup favorite this year so far? Vegas obviously still looking good at the favorite in the west but repeats are so hard. Everyone still has Boston's first round exit last year in mind. No one's gonna take the Rangers seriously until they prove it (and they have a huge question at 3C if Chytil is done, as well as needing better RW depth), and other previous darlings like the Canes are pretty meh. Toronto is Toronto, etc. Avs are still good but do they have enough to make another run, are the Canucks for real, and so on

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Cup will be won by, roughly in order of likelihood, {Rangers/Bruins/Avalanche/Knights/Kings}.

Hurricanes will probably finish 2nd in the Metro but aren't a real contender in the playoffs. The Maple Leafs are, as you astutely observe, the Maple Leafs. The Panthers are a Paul Maurice team. The Oilers will probably get hot at some point and everyone will jump on the bandwagon, which will careen off the road and into a tree by the second round because Oilers. The Stars are a second year DeBoer team. The Devils may improve but have no goalie. Flyers and Canucks will be in the playoffs but are obvious frauds. I might be sleeping on the Jets, but I admit to just assuming they're not actually as good as their record thus far suggests.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 19, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hate to say it but NYR seems like the favorite right now. For as much as Laviolette wasn't a fit in DC I thought he was pretty good tactically in the postseason. he just didn't have the horses to actually win.

I think Vegas might be the best team but their path (some combination of EDM/LA/VAN) is much harder than the Rangers. Carolina and New Jersey might get back on track but unless NJ trades for a good goalie I can't take them seriously. And NYR just has Carolina's number even when Carolina is playing well. Other than that no one in the Metro can be any real threat.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 19, 2023

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/scottcwheeler/status/1736793314408440035?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Don’t remember seeing a player thats made the NHL full time loaned to the WJCs like this, Poitras is going to light it up

Now just need Columbus to release their 4th line winger Fantilli for Canada

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The perfect coach for the Pens is already employed in the form of Pete DeBoer otherwise most any coaching change doesn't change too much. Probably. Who knows. They're done though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unironically, they might try Gallant. 1-2 years is at very best all they have left before absolutely cratering anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I bet Michel Therrien would still answer the phone if the Penguins called, and wouldn't Geno just love that?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I bet Michel Therrien would still answer the phone if the Penguins called, and wouldn't Geno just love that?

God could you imagine this slow old Pens team trying dump and chase?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Pens bad. Wild worse.

pars
Sep 7, 2011
N: Red Wings have 1 win and 3 points in the last 7 games

V: The Wings are back baby

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I actually don't think Sullivan is a bad coach but I do wonder if the Pens would do better under a different coach at this point. I think sometimes even good coaches get themselves stuck in ruts and relying on the same strategies and players when they've been there a long time and have coached core players for a long time. I feel like the Pens should be better than they are (but I'm not complaining abotu them sucking because lol gently caress the Pens)

Is there really any team that seems like a clearcut cup favorite this year so far? Vegas obviously still looking good at the favorite in the west but repeats are so hard. Everyone still has Boston's first round exit last year in mind. No one's gonna take the Rangers seriously until they prove it (and they have a huge question at 3C if Chytil is done, as well as needing better RW depth), and other previous darlings like the Canes are pretty meh. Toronto is Toronto, etc. Avs are still good but do they have enough to make another run, are the Canucks for real, and so on

Sullivan's a good coach. Maybe even a great one. But yeah eventually you get to a point where the message stops resonating and it's time for a new voice behind the bench. Coaches and systems get stale after a while. It happens to every team but the Pens get stuck in these ruts where they think they're different and then hang onto guys for too long (Bylsma/Sully). But anyways, 3 cups in this era so....whatever.

I don't know that there's a clear cut favorite for the cup right now. Rangers and Bruins look quite good. Vegas would be my pick in the West atm.

Maybe this is the year where Toronto flies under the radar a bit and gets a cup.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Injuries in the net are fuckin killing them right now. A lack of defense outside of that is also doing its part.

e: the red wings

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

pars posted:

N: Red Wings have 1 win and 3 points in the last 7 games

V: The Wings are back baby

The kane kurse

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kane is really loving bad. 4 points (2 of them 2nd assists) in 7 games with a fully earned -7. Still has puck skills but cannot change direction at all. It's a pleasure to watch since he's such an rear end in a top hat. But do the Wings really need to keep playing this guy's corpse 20 minutes a night?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I thought you were joking but they really are playing him 20 minutes a night lmfao.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unironically, they might try Gallant. 1-2 years is at very best all they have left before absolutely cratering anyway.

The thought of Gallant having to take orders from Dubas is making me smile. That would be a disaster.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Honestly from the Wings games I've watched since they added him, if you're not paying close attention you'll look up the box score after the game and say "what the hell, there is no way Kane played 20 minutes" because if you're watching casually you won't notice him for half that time. The puck just gets trapped in the Wings' end/dumped and brought back up by the opposition for most of his shifts. It's like being down a man, he can't make any defensive or breakout contribution at all unless the puck happens to bounce onto his stick.

Matt Zerella posted:

The thought of Gallant having to take orders from Dubas is making me smile. That would be a disaster.

The Pens are already a disaster so they might as well be an entertaining one

e: realtalk, Gallant may get a better dead cat bounce than anyone else coming off of Sullivan since he doesn't do much actual coaching. And the Pens don't have any worthwhile young players for him to bury, besides POJ who's already used to it from years of Sullivan.

e2: The best comedy option if Seattle can be persuaded to part with him would be The Return of Dan Bylsma. Maybe toss Minnesota a draft pick for MAF and go all the way to the hilt with it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 19, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Eric the Mauve posted:

Honestly from the Wings games I've watched since they added him, if you're not paying close attention you'll look up the box score after the game and say "what the hell, there is no way Kane played 20 minutes" because if you're watching casually you won't notice him for half that time. The puck just gets trapped in the Wings' end/dumped and brought back up by the opposition for most of his shifts. It's like being down a man, he can't make any defensive or breakout contribution at all unless the puck happens to bounce onto his stick.

The Pens are already a disaster so they might as well be an entertaining one

e: realtalk, Gallant may get a better dead cat bounce than anyone else coming off of Sullivan since he doesn't do much actual coaching. And the Pens don't have any worthwhile young players for him to bury, besides POJ who's already used to it from years of Sullivan.

e2: The best comedy option if Seattle can be persuaded to part with him would be The Return of Dan Bylsma. Maybe toss Minnesota a draft pick for MAF and go all the way to the hilt with it.

I agree on Gallant. If you can plop any coach onto the Pens who would get good play out of them it's him.

He does not give a gently caress, runs no system, and lets the Vets lead the room (and play). He will juggle the lines like loving crazy and act out of spite too (which will drive Dubas insane).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Imagine how much of an rear end in a top hat Claude Julien is that his name is never brought up for hires

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/scottcwheeler/status/1736793314408440035?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Don’t remember seeing a player thats made the NHL full time loaned to the WJCs like this, Poitras is going to light it up

Happened a couple of years back with Kirby Dach, who had been playing for Chicago in the playoffs. In his first WJC game that year, he injured his arm throwing a hit and was out for months. Oops.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Kane is really loving bad. 4 points (2 of them 2nd assists) in 7 games with a fully earned -7. Still has puck skills but cannot change direction at all. It's a pleasure to watch since he's such an rear end in a top hat. But do the Wings really need to keep playing this guy's corpse 20 minutes a night?

yeah, who are the alternatives? a floaty guy with no transition game and poor defense but sick playmaking in front of the net is a substantial improvement in our top 6

anyway, the real problem isn't his play specifically, but that he brought a curse upon this team and we absolutely suck rear end right now

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Dirty Burger posted:

quote:

Poitras’ teammates did not send him off on a high note. At the conclusion of Monday’s practice, Montgomery gathered the players to tell them of Poitras’ destination. After some applause, Poitras faced off against Jeremy Swayman for three straight shootout attempts. The Alaskan stuffed Poitras all three times, prompting the Bruins to issue a “USA” chant.

Lol
https://theathletic.com/5146737/2023/12/18/bruins-matt-poitras-world-juniors-canada/

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Fantilli and Benson getting released is probably the only way Canada contends this year. US looks like a wagon, Sweden looks very solid too.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are not dogshit garbage

Pistols at dawn.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

yeah, who are the alternatives? a floaty guy with no transition game and poor defense but sick playmaking in front of the net is a substantial improvement in our top 6

anyway, the real problem isn't his play specifically, but that he brought a curse upon this team and we absolutely suck rear end right now

I'm not sure how 'he improves our top 6' jives with 'wow we've been losing a lot since we signed this guy and started playing him over *whatever was there before* and he's been in the ice for a ton of goals against and not very many for....'

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's some bluesky codes.

bsky-social-rkh7h-qmp6a
bsky-social-77euz-ia2yu

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Some of the concepts that I think are hard to grasp when you’re looking at a roster trying to improve is that it’s possible for players to be productive and still lose their minutes, and that the talent floor in the NHL is high enough for forwards (and goal scoring random enough) that a certain number of points just happens with enough opportunity.

That is to say, a guy putting up 50 points playing 20 minutes a night and top PP over the course of a season can still be hurting their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of which

Kuzmenko healthy scratch baby