Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

what? it's on part 3 right now.

The doc you posted with the translation ends at 2-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The sidebar mentions mention three parts of chapter 3 tho. weird

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

The sidebar mentions mention three parts of chapter 3 tho. weird

It's listed, but empty. It's just the pictures.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/digimonweb_net/status/1736574504149667949?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

Wolf with sword got added to the Reference Book

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seems the Takemikazuchi sword is one of the Ultimate Battle Blades, which were previously assumed to be wielded only by the Royal Knights. I guess they’re more spread out. U

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
New banlist for the card game got posted. It's a murder list

They also posted about how they've changed their banlist philosophy recently, hence the hits to an SR and a secret rare in this list. Here's a link to the producer's letter. It opens with some new product advertisements, but once they get to the banlist commentary it becomes very interesting.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
See, this is why Apocalymon only gets the crust. He gets the pizze one time and proceeds to turn the whole game upside down.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Seems the Takemikazuchi sword is one of the Ultimate Battle Blades, which were previously assumed to be wielded only by the Royal Knights. I guess they’re more spread out. U

It's not. The kana is different, 究極戦 (Royal Knights) vs 終極戦 (Fenriloogamon). The first kanji, while having the same meaning as far as I can tell, are different and pronounced differently too (Kyūkyoku vs Shūkyoku).

It's clearly meant to make you think of Alphamon's Ouryuken (both being made from an Ultimate-level Digimon turned into a sword through Jogress, and in both cases involving Prototype Digimon) but it's not the same. The actual 究極戦 are still used only by the Royal Knights (and we still don't know a lot of them despite the fact that all X-Antibody Royal Knights should have one).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

...it's actually really good! The animation's excellent as expected after LE, but also the writing is genuinely very good, it hits all the right cues for an adult-oriented Digimon story while fleshing out the post-02 Adventure world where Digimon are commonplace even more. The 02 cast bounces effortlessly off each other and truly come across as an extremely tight-knit group of friends, the message it gives is heartwarming and a great criticism of how the franchise handles itself while also a celebration of it (unlike "you're too old gently caress off" from the last loving movie), and it opens a door to the most unique Digimon show or movie ever should they want to continue (which I find unlikely, but I'd kill for a Digimon movie or show where there are no Digivices and the focus isn't on fighting monsters at all). Lui's retcon isn't great, but Lui himself is an interesting and unique character for the franchise, in his personality, his backstory, and his very warped but ultimately extremely valuable relationship with Ukkomon. Also all the new remixes for the songs are used in just the right places and they're all excellent.

I just need this to come out for streaming or bluray so someone can make a video of all the evolution scenes because they're incredibly good. Unlike the Last Evolution ones, which were very stiff, the updated evolution scenes here make a point of being just as faithful to the originals as they must be, and instead go for new angles and far more dynamic posing, resulting in utterly beautiful stock footage (which gets used surprisingly repeatedly for such a short movie but never feels out of place).

After Tri and LE failed to update Digimon to an adult audience, with bad writing and terrible messages, The Beginning goes hard the opposite way with a mature view on how the franchise has been and should be, while also making it clear that it comes from a place of genuine love to the franchise. The 02 cast shine far more than the Adventure cast ever could (because they're allowed to be a cast instead of a more bland Taichi and Yamato + 6 unimportant others). Fair warning I guess, it has some really heavy topics that can be genuinely unpleasant to watch. Lui's backstory is heartbreaking.

I'd go into more detail but honestly just watch it. It has my recommendation, of a guy that hated everything Adventure-related and wanted it to end. Now I kind of want it to continue. What a change.

Hey glad to hear it. I also though Last Evolution was kind of a "gently caress you" movie to fans. I originally grew up on 02 though so I'm glad this cast gets a proper send off.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Kizuna's interesting, especially when 02 The Beginning seems to directly refuse it. You don't lose your Digimon when your Digivice expires. The 02 cast integrates their Digimon into their daily lives way more than any of the Adventure Digidestined, and that means when every Digivice flat-out disappears they just shrug and get right back to playing with their best buddies. They outright call depending on things like an electronic device, a wish from a primordial being, or the idea of some fated bond the wrong way to go about things, compared to simply striking up a relationship through word and deed.

The more I think of it, the more I think Menoa is supposed to be like Miguel from Spider-Verse. She was struck by a tragedy (in this case, caused through neglecting her partner in a rush to be mature), and ascribed it to some greater fate and purpose so she can at least feel like it isn't her fault. There is something to be said for the loss of infinite potential, but it's not the potential part that's lost. It's the infinite part. Menoa was in a rush to grow up and settle into a new life, and neglected her bond with Morphomon to do so. Tai and Matt were listless and directionless, and were torn between clinging to the idea of being Digidestined for some sort of structure and leaving Agumon and Gabumon behind for being "kids' stuff."

You know who doesn't have that problem? The 02 cast. In Kizuna, none of the Adventure kids spend much time with their Digimon, but the 02 kids bring their partners to an investigation in a college and an all-out brawl in the streets. In The Beginning, they're practically inseparable from their partners. That means they don't face the idea of a splintered bond even when TK's old enough to drive. How could they, when instead of being a distant childhood memory like Agumon, Veemon is Davis' #1 assistant chef at the noodle house? They're growing mature, and their paths are becoming more clear, but the energy they face life with and the love they have for their partners are as infinite as ever.

I can see why people buy Kizuna meaning what it says at face value, considering everything Menoa says does come to pass, Gennai himself agrees with her, and the series does treat the cast's disappearing bond with a sense of gravity and finality. However, between Agumon and Gabumon promising they'll be back and the Epilogue being canon in spite of everything, I think there's just as much evidence to say everyone's read on the situation is imperfect. There's definitely room to expand on the premise, and I think that'll take it from a gently caress you to a beautiful yet imperfect step along the adventure.

I'd love a third movie in this trilogy to square the circle on this. You wouldn't even need an Original the Character to tie it together this time. Just give me a movie of the 02 cast helping the Adventure cast find their smile, with TK and Kari the bridge connecting them. Make a thematic bridge between the movie that called itself the Last and the movie that called itself a Beginning, and maybe finally bring things full circle to prime us for the still-canon epilogue.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's not. The kana is different, 究極戦 (Royal Knights) vs 終極戦 (Fenriloogamon). The first kanji, while having the same meaning as far as I can tell, are different and pronounced differently too (Kyūkyoku vs Shūkyoku).

It's clearly meant to make you think of Alphamon's Ouryuken (both being made from an Ultimate-level Digimon turned into a sword through Jogress, and in both cases involving Prototype Digimon) but it's not the same. The actual 究極戦 are still used only by the Royal Knights (and we still don't know a lot of them despite the fact that all X-Antibody Royal Knights should have one).

Aw. I was hoping we’d finally find out what all those were.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The Bee posted:

Kizuna's interesting, especially when 02 The Beginning seems to directly refuse it.
This read of Kizuna is interesting enough that even if it never gets properly “canonized”, it’s going to be my personal canon now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

girl dick energy posted:

This read of Kizuna is interesting enough that even if it never gets properly “canonized”, it’s going to be my personal canon now.

Yeah, seriously. I love how you interpreted the movie The Bee, and if we get a sequel to The Beginning that tries to undo Last Evolution (which has to happen to connect to the epilogue anyways) I hope it follows a similar logic.

I think it's more likely that they realized the backlash against Last Evolution and decided to go on an opposite, and much better, direction for The Beginning though, since I don't see as much as you do that hints at it not being honest about its message, beyond the fact that it fails to connect to the epilogue despite still being canon.

Also we got the results for the Angel Army poll and the results were quite surprising for me, at least:
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_net/status/1737793229934809335?t=5CC-9zQPQE0MtozKHVAvQw&s=19
Angewomon being in the top 3 is the only unsurprising thing there. I 100% expected the top 3 to be Angemon/Angewomon/HolyAngemon but instead the top 3 is entirely female angels, including the rarely-seen Darcmon. Dominimon, who was a non-entity for ages and doesn't appear in a single game, still ranked a massive #4. Meanwhile fan-favourite Angemon is as low as #7, losing to DW3 superstar and ex-President SlashAngemon.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 21, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://x.com/mas_square/status/1734059687983911211?s=46&t=idHOluBX7WY76GN9uEVUwg

This has been the face of Digimon twitter for two weeks now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think it's more likely that they realized the backlash against Last Evolution and decided to go on an opposite, and much better, direction for The Beginning though, since I don't see as much as you do that hints at it not being honest about its message, beyond the fact that it fails to connect to the epilogue despite still being canon.

I don't think the backlash against Kizuna exists outside of the absurd takes from this thread.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah. Kizuna did relatively well, for what it was.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Thanks, guys! The Kizuna stuff is honestly nothing too new, and I've seen opinions like it before that helped me appreciate the movie more. However, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else looking back at those old analyses through the lens of The Beginning yet.

It's interesting because I don't think Kizuna is outright dishonest about its message. I just think it isn't quite as direct and final as "you grow up, the magic's gone, life sucks and this is the end." It almost feels more like a weird, in between stage of the cast's lives, their uncertainty literally made manifest by the loss of their other halves. The bittersweet nature of their current situation, backdropped by the hopeful insistence that they'll see each other again and always be together, just gives it a different feeling.

I know this goes against the epilogue being canon, but you know what would be a neat marker of this? Having Agumon and Gabumon come back as Greymon and Garurumon in a potential sequel. After all, in Japan, this is the shift from Child to Adult, the same evolution that Tai and Matt are struggling so much with. With Adventure partners basically being children stepping into that role when the chips are down, seeing their natural growth into those forms full-time could be fun symbolism.

E: Yeah, Kizuna's def more divisive among types that are deep-deep into the fandom, but by and large the movie was successful and well liked. It sure as poo poo isn't Tri.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 21, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Bee posted:

Thanks, guys! The Kizuna stuff is honestly nothing too new, and I've seen opinions like it before that helped me appreciate the movie more. However, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else looking back at those old analyses through the lens of The Beginning yet.

It's interesting because I don't think Kizuna is outright dishonest about its message. I just think it isn't quite as direct and final as "you grow up, the magic's gone, life sucks and this is the end." It almost feels more like a weird, in between stage of the cast's lives, their uncertainty literally made manifest by the loss of their other halves. The bittersweet nature of their current situation, backdropped by the hopeful insistence that they'll see each other again and always be together, just gives it a different feeling.

I know this goes against the epilogue being canon, but you know what would be a neat marker of this? Having Agumon and Gabumon come back as Greymon and Garurumon in a potential sequel. After all, in Japan, this is the shift from Child to Adult, the same evolution that Tai and Matt are struggling so much with. With Adventure partners basically being children stepping into that role when the chips are down, seeing their natural growth into those forms full-time could be fun symbolism.

There was a blog post shared earlier in the thread that compared a few different subs for Kizuna, it suggested that the finality presented in the official sub was a mistranslation. One of the key takeaways from that post is that the movie has more hope that Taichi and Yamato will see Agumon and Gabumon again than the official sub suggests.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

There was a blog post shared earlier in the thread that compared a few different subs for Kizuna, it suggested that the finality presented in the official sub was a mistranslation. One of the key takeaways from that post is that the movie has more hope that Taichi and Yamato will see Agumon and Gabumon again than the official sub suggests.

That makes a lot of sense! And since the dub probably went off the official sub, no matter how the English fandom slices it they're getting that sense of finality instead.

Its interesting because Digimon have always felt like creatures born of willpower, growth, and bonds. When seen from that light, neglecting both yourself and your partner feels like a much more fitting reason for them to disappear than age itself. There's a reason Gennai stresses a loss of infinite potential instead of just age, and why even as Morphomon disappears they just smile and tell Menoa they'll be together forever. Hell, in The Beginning, the same rupture of a bond happens to Ukkomon, through violence instead of neglect, and he STILL comes back for Lui's birthday as he promised.

And speaking of 02, we can't forget Oikawa, who despite being an adult only taps into a shred of that infinite potential at the very end. That's why the partner he could have had even shows up, and at Fresh level is even less formed than the Adventure kids' partners are when they first meet.

I think back to the "what are you gonna do tomorrow?" scene that caps off Kizuna. Then I think of the similar framing as Davis and Veemon turn to face their own "sunset", BigUkkomon looming overhead in a dusky sky, Veemon asking Davis what they are going to do tomorrow. And his answer is immediate: make some noodles.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Even the official sub suggests Taichi can regain his “unlimited possibilities”

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

Even the official sub suggests Taichi can regain his “unlimited possibilities”

Yep! And Menoa never got that message. She was so fixated on her own grief and rationalizations that she instead regressed everyone back into youth, trapping them in a sterile wonderland curated by artificial beings. It's all the more reason not to take what she's saying as the movie's final word, when she's doing the exact opposite of what it takes to actually solve the problem.

It's Spider-Verse.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 21, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway I still have issues with Kizuna, but they’re because of how it handles its female Chosen Child characters (Sora worst of all) and how the ending wants to have its cake and eat it too by having it be sad while still relying on the epilogue to go “no, see, it’s actually alright.” I just have issues with how the whole premise taps out. Also, the movie is Taichi and Agumon’s grand finale and we never see WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon! D:<

That said, The Beginning is a movie I have no issues with. Well. Aside from the fact that it reveals Mina got into tech. That’s a bit stereotypical.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Can't argue on that point. Sora may be the most mistreated character in Digimon, and I only say may because characters like Zoe exist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sora has been mistreated worse than Izumi. Even if Izumi got no solo wins outside of Ranamon, she never had a “I don’t want to fight anymore :(“ arc cuz girl and lose her partner off screen thing happen to her.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also we got the results for the Angel Army poll and the results were quite surprising for me, at least:
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_net/status/1737793229934809335?t=5CC-9zQPQE0MtozKHVAvQw&s=19

I’m not surprised in the slightest that the top three are the ones that people are horny for.

Dominimon being fourth is also not that surprising, he’s an old Digimon that hadn’t been represented but hadn’t been forgotten by the fandom. People are excited to see him return

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Bee posted:

Yep! And Menoa never got that message. She was so fixated on her own grief and rationalizations that she instead regressed everyone back into youth, trapping them in a sterile wonderland curated by artificial beings. It's all the more reason not to take what she's saying as the movie's final word, when she's doing the exact opposite of what it takes to actually solve the problem.

It's Spider-Verse.

See, I like your theory on the film and it makes the movie feel a lot less frustrating, but it's still a serious feels bad bit of victim blaming on the part of Menoa. She's one of the female cast members that the movie seriously screwed up and maligned. "Your best friend is dead and never coming back and it's your fault because you're grieving wrong" is a nasty pill to swallow, doubly so in a film that never shows the reunion or reconciliation of literally anyone.

To compare with Spider-Verse, that movie came with the promise that it was a two-parter: what it was showing us wasn't the end and that there was going to be a conclusion to it and its themes. When DA:LEK wrapped there was no similar, straightforward confirmation about them having a follow-up movie to show a reunion, it was basically just leaning on the epilogue still being official to say that no, this bitter ending isn't the last word. Spider-Verse was promising pretty much right from the start it was going to show Miguel was full of it by the end of the second movie, DA:LEK never refutes Gennai's or Menoa's proclamations of doom on screen and it really really should have.

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway I still have issues with Kizuna, but they’re because of how it handles its female Chosen Child characters (Sora worst of all) and how the ending wants to have its cake and eat it too by having it be sad while still relying on the epilogue to go “no, see, it’s actually alright.” I just have issues with how the whole premise taps out. Also, the movie is Taichi and Agumon’s grand finale and we never see WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon! D:<

DA:LEK to me is a story where show and tell are at odds. If it is a story about fighting fate and regaining one's possibility and overcoming toxic, traumatic systems of things that "have to happen" then it erred very badly by ending with protagonists failing to do that. I very much like The Bee's read on the story and I do think it does on the whole fit with what the movie was telling us, I just wish the movie did more to show us that.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The art that has spawned off of this one image has been amazing (even I made one)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KariOhki posted:

The art that has spawned off of this one image has been amazing (even I made one)

I like Gigantamax Tailchu

https://x.com/Liliana86973943/status/1736400888657571970?s=20

And this one is great too

https://x.com/DexMoun/status/1737593723914277182?s=20

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

God I love fat Tailmon. Sometimes the weird viral meme thing totally rules.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m willing to say that making a monster and abducting people is grieving wrong

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m willing to say that making a monster and abducting people is grieving wrong

Agreed. That's not what I was talking about.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This is why I'm hoping we get a third movie to tie it together. We have the Last and the Beginning. We've seen one set of partners disappear from neglect and uncertainty, and another set of partners survive the very concept of Digimon partnership being undone. The stage seems perfectly set to look at these two stories and ask what's different.

Of course, it could also just be that the Adventure writing team gets an idea for a story and slaps it down without worrying about existing canon. "Wouldn't it be sad to write a story about a partnership ending?" "Wouldn't it be interesting to see who the first Digidestined was?" But I'd like to believe even if it comes from a bunch of retcons, you could weave a really interesting story from the threads that each story leaves behind.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Bee posted:

This is why I'm hoping we get a third movie to tie it together. We have the Last and the Beginning. We've seen one set of partners disappear from neglect and uncertainty, and another set of partners survive the very concept of Digimon partnership being undone. The stage seems perfectly set to look at these two stories and ask what's different.

Of course, it could also just be that the Adventure writing team gets an idea for a story and slaps it down without worrying about existing canon. "Wouldn't it be sad to write a story about a partnership ending?" "Wouldn't it be interesting to see who the first Digidestined was?" But I'd like to believe even if it comes from a bunch of retcons, you could weave a really interesting story from the threads that each story leaves behind.

I would also love to see that hypothetical third movie.

But as to where the ideas come from, a much more cynical take might be that they've been trying to tell the same story over and over again until it finally landed. Nodosaur made a crack a couple of pages back that we've been watching permutations on the same elevator pitch for eight movies now, and while it isn't straight and clean you can draw something of a line of progression through Meiko, Himekawa, Menoa, and probably Lui from what I've heard. But you know, that might actually be a hopeful take. After eight attempts we got a movie that worked* (with an asterisk because I have yet to see it for myself), maybe Toei can finally try telling a different story with the setting of Digimon Adventure.

Or just leave the setting behind and make something new.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
They are making new things though. We’re not far removed from Ghost Game and there’s a webnovel and a manga still being published

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're absolutely making the movies without too much worry about how they all fit together in a single canon, and that's 100% the right move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's perfect. No notes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Bee posted:

The guy who oversaw both movies already said he didn’t really have making a sequel to Kizuna in mind when they were making The Beginning

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The whole no more Digivices thing from The Beginning actually helps make my concept set during the Epilogue era centered around the next generation kids work better since it allows me to easily explain why the antagonists are such a threat(they've somehow managed to acquire functioning Digivices), and why the next generation kids have to be the ones to step up and stop them while their parents have to take a back seat(the kids have obtained Digivices while their parents are still without them)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It seems we're getting something soon for the 25th anime anniversary. I hope it's a new anime (which seems like the most likely option anyways).

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1738352034120974433?t=UCqY0eeCLp0EuqsWJ5ViLw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

It seems we're getting something soon for the 25th anime anniversary. I hope it's a new anime (which seems like the most likely option anyways).

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1738352034120974433?t=UCqY0eeCLp0EuqsWJ5ViLw&s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOm2_2Ydw5M

Tomorrow at 6am ET. Hmmmmmmmmm